Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

pippin

Infinite had been in development hell since 2010/11 (shortly after the release of 2), but it was released in 2013.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, never mind, I read that as the first Bioshock. Infinite for $1? Yeah that's pretty hilarious.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Oh, never mind, I read that as the first Bioshock. Infinite for $1? Yeah that's pretty hilarious.
Nah, it's been out for 2.5 years and from what I recall, the majority of money a AAA game makes is in the first year or so after release anyway.

After it's already been tossed up for sale for $4.99 multiple times, the vast majority of people who'd buy it for more than a dollar already have it, so they're not losing much if anything.

Mustawd

Don't have time to click through all that crap. I'll wait there years and buy it for $3.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Don't have time to click through all that crap. I'll wait there years and buy it for $3.

Just a wild suggestion here, but...why pay for it at all?

I don't mean go pirate it or something like that...just don't bother with it. It's not that good.

The only good thing that came of it was the barbershop quarter cover of "God Only Knows".

Venser

Erudite
Bioshock Infinite for 1 dollar/euro if you vote for stick awards. Must use same email for stick and gmg, or else it won't work. Just activated my key.
  1. Vote here : http://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoystickawards/vote/
  2. Claim here : https://goldenjoysticks.greenmangaming.com/

I did this and instantly regretted when greenmangaming linked my steam account to playfire.com
It can't be unlinked without contacting playfire support. Playfire tracks your Steam and Xbox Live stats and gives you money rewards whenever you unlock an achievement in a game and you can spend that money to buy games on greenman. Sounds shady. Anyone using it?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did this and instantly regretted when greenmangaming linked my steam account to playfire.com
It can't be unlinked without contacting playfire support. Playfire tracks your Steam and Xbox Live stats and gives you money rewards whenever you unlock an achievement in a game and you can spend that money to buy games on greenman. Sounds shady. Anyone using it?
I used it for some time. The program was very good at first, now you can just ignore it. During some months, I got like £20 worth of credit. I guess that in the long run, their rewards were not viable. Bought me a few games "for free" that way.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
It's nothig shady, just a little bonus mostly aimed at D1Pers. Usually new/popular releases will give you a shekel or two in gmg store credit for unlocking some (mostly) easy) achievements. Sometimes you can get rewards for older game achievements. Overall it's not worth it and can be easily ignored.

Edit: at least you can get your 1 shekel back if you launch Bioshock Infinity during this event.

pippin

There's a Deus Ex Midweek thing going on right now. All the games released so far for like 7 bucks.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Another promo for Deus Ex, another "what a great moment, just before Revision release" and this shit is still not released.

Biocock? Nothx, not after XCOM Enemy Within, that didn't came because the whole Playfire+Raptr+GMG+Joystick is a mess and didn't worked when it should.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I used it for some time. The program was very good at first, now you can just ignore it. During some months, I got like £20 worth of credit. I guess that in the long run, their rewards were not viable. Bought me a few games "for free" that way.
Yeah it's something to ignore now (mostly d1p stuff, so you're not gonna get much mileage out of back catalog anymore), but in the early days you could rack up quite a bit. I got about 175 kwabucks worth of credit that way, with 0 effort just using SAM to activate the required achievements without playing shit games.

Multiheaded Cow and Bruticis started even earlier and had more games, they each got 300+ kwabucks of credit off of it. Coupled with sales and/or GMGs constant 20-30% off vouchers that work on pretty much everything, that adds up to quite a lot of games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most stealth games seem to do that, substitute kill with blackjack, choke or awesome button takedown as necessary

DramaticPopcorn

Is Red Dragon worth it?
I didn't buy it back when it came out because it introduced ships which I didnt find appealing.

Anyone playing it these days?
Corporate_Jew_Master

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Most stealth games seem to do that, substitute kill with blackjack, choke or awesome button takedown as necessary
Yeah, but Styx levels aren't thief levels and gameplay isn't nearly as varied as Deus Ex, so you fall into that repetition easily and it gets boring.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dunno about Styx but that first game with him was utter garbage budget shovelware.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought Styx: Master of Shadows was decent. It's just a shame that they end up reusing all levels later in the game. But my biggest complaint is that after an update of the game, it would no longer run on my PC. I was 5 minutes from the final boss. How do I know this? I ended up looking at a Youtube video and I had like 30 more minutes to beat the game. It pissed me off because I was playing on the hardest difficulty.

DramaticPopcorn

Not much in good sales lately.. is that Killer is Dead worth a couple of bucks ?
It seems to have some gigolo side quests so I might actually get it
It's a quirky setting with whacky story and zany characters

Gigolo missions aren't really fun or interesting but you get free stuff from them which is necessary to progress through the game even though it doesn't explicitly tells you about it.
Levels are repetetive, in first 2 or 3 missions your meet probably all the enemies
Boss fights are a hit and miss (hah). Some are numb-crushingly diffuclt, some don't even require you to dodge.
The gameplay is fine but targetting is annoying as hell.

Overall it's a fun enough experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom