Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Lhynn

Arcane
Got to lvl 18. game is basically going from place to place doing chores, and sometimes youll get an extra special chore that gives less rewards but is repeatable, sort of.

You can see a lot of good ideas that never amounted to much, and a ton of wasted potential. Like a dude wanted to make something cool, but his entire team had only played wow before and couldnt quite get what he wanted to do, till eventually the dude just gave up.

Last edited:
You can see a lot of good ideas that never amounted to much, and a ton of wasted potential. Like a dude wanted to make something cool, but his entire team had only played wow before and couldnt quite get what he wanted to dot, till eventually the dude just gave up.

1414261209293.png

Black_Willow

Arcane
Fuka yu, Prophecies was the best :rpgcodex:
Prophecies plot was pointless and felt as if they had two script writers with conflicting visions, one of them being an idiot (the whole White Mantles/Mursaat part).
Factions were even worse - I still don't know who were those guys that petrified Shiro after I killed him.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I would love to argue the merits of each release in excessive detail, but I'll just say, playing through Prophecies after Factions felt like a very slow trek through grimdark, nearly generic fantasy world with cats. Enjoyed it, but Factions put me on ADHD.
I think Factions is the weakest campaign. It has some cool parts, but most of it is set in a boring brown city.
Yup, for all the love Factions/Shiro gets people tend to overlook just how bad of a narrative drove that expansion. And Shiro was an awful, awfully written antagonist. Like mustache twirling levels of bad. But Kurzicks/Luxons was the real business, fuck Shiro.
Shiro may have been a mustache twirler, but wossname from Prophecies was so cartoonish it was actually kind of charming.
Prophecies plot was pointless and felt as if they had two script writers with conflicting visions, one of them being an idiot (the whole White Mantles/Mursaat part).
Factions were even worse - I still don't know who were those guys that petrified Shiro after I killed him.
Fuck you, the Mursaat were cool.

Zetor

Arcane
All of the GW1 metaplots were crap, but some of the smaller stories were fine (especially the non-serious ones). Come to think of it, the same is true of GW2: the main story is facepalm bad, but I liked the asura starter missions, the priory/whispers guild missions, and some of the late-game story missions (the ones that do NOT have trahearne in them) because they at least made me smile.

Anyway, trrbl things that stuck with me from Prophecies:
  1. Rurik
  2. The UNDEAD LICH (basically everything that involves him/it)
  3. Alesia and henchmen lack-of-AI in general
Factions was mostly covered, but the mid-late story was either nonexistent or really bad. Also, dat Kurzick voiceacting (Danika!).

Nightfall was a saturday morning cartoon. Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxmkAoLC6_4

EOTN was... eh, a hodge-podge of plots that were not particularly memorable one way or another.

Bonus: I recommend reading the short story that came with the GW1 box. I don't think I've read fiction that hilariously trrbl in a long time...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
speaking of factions, that game has one of my favourite cutscenes ever

B-BUT... NO ONE EXCEPT YOU IS ALLOWED INSIDE THE TEMPLE D:

THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE OF PLANS >;|

B-BUT... D:

THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE OF PLANS >;|

THE EMPEROR...

HE

IS GOING

TO KILL YOU!!!

/nooooooo

Seems like the cool dude got beheaded post launch. Or is still in the team, as a sleeping agent. I like to think of him as a brave codexer that is living a nightmare.

It's more like a bunch of cool dudes were around for GW1, then they slowly attritioned away during GW2 development (which was quite prolonged beyond initial expectations) and afterwards. In particular Jeff Strain and Patrick Wyatt, 2 out of the 3 company founders, left.

They were the envoys that ferry souls to the underworld or something. Shiro was one of them. They are who resurrect you when Shiro kills you and everyone else at the end of the vizunah square mission.

Last edited:

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Well, playing GW2 feels a little pointless. There is nothing really pushing me along. No real hook. Meh.

At least it got me to resurrect my GW1 account (with Support's help), where I managed to complete a couple of missions that I failed on last attempt. Then I tried Tahnnakai, and proved that I still sucked. Grrr.

Lhynn

Arcane
Chore simulator, thats what ive been playing. Fucking shit men, how can devs be so fucking incompetent.

Shammy

Learned
All of the GW1 metaplots were crap, but some of the smaller stories were fine (especially the non-serious ones). Come to think of it, the same is true of GW2: the main story is facepalm bad, but I liked the asura starter missions, the priory/whispers guild missions, and some of the late-game story missions (the ones that do NOT have trahearne in them) because they at least made me smile.

Anyway, trrbl things that stuck with me from Prophecies:
  1. Rurik
  2. The UNDEAD LICH (basically everything that involves him/it)
  3. Alesia and henchmen lack-of-AI in general
Factions was mostly covered, but the mid-late story was either nonexistent or really bad. Also, dat Kurzick voiceacting (Danika!).

Nightfall was a saturday morning cartoon. Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxmkAoLC6_4

EOTN was... eh, a hodge-podge of plots that were not particularly memorable one way or another.

Bonus: I recommend reading the short story that came with the GW1 box. I don't think I've read fiction that hilariously trrbl in a long time...
My sentiments exactly. I wish they did a bit more with the story's presentation and flow, but from what I've seen from the HoT beta they do seem to be putting in a good amount of resources into the narrative. But only time will tell if it pays off.

Well, playing GW2 feels a little pointless. There is nothing really pushing me along. No real hook. Meh.

At least it got me to resurrect my GW1 account (with Support's help), where I managed to complete a couple of missions that I failed on last attempt. Then I tried Tahnnakai, and proved that I still sucked. Grrr.
i wish i could do the same, but some gook almost completely obliterated my account and ncsoft blamed me for password sharing, when the password i used had never been written anywhere, never said to anybody and was an alphanumeric string impossible to guess.
never forgive, never forget.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I'm just going to say the last few updates that GW1 ever got were easily the worst pieces of content that were ever put into that game from top to bottom. So I made the decision to just not bother with GW2 all together. It doesn't sound like I made a bad choice even to this day.

I'm just going to say the last few updates that GW1 ever got were easily the worst pieces of content that were ever put into that game from top to bottom. So I made the decision to just not bother with GW2 all together. It doesn't sound like I made a bad choice even to this day.
i can't recall, what were they about?

80Maxwell08

Arcane
i can't recall, what were they about?
Well the Prophecies content wasn't anything special. Just fighting the remaining white mantle and mursaat. The Factions content on the other hand.

To start one of the hardest quests in the entire quest line was only because it made you fight a bunch of lvl 24+ enemies with only a party of 4. I only got through it because of persistence. The difficulty is all over the place aside from that. Mainly because of their attempts to constantly try balancing the unbalanceable. The other main problem is the story. The main antagonist wants to forcibly annex both factions back into the empire then commence a crusade against everything not human, which mainly include the tengu, and you have to stop them. The main villain has a kid by her side who she seems to be mind controlling. The kid has a relationship with one of the npcs on your side. All the while your main character is now talking about how violence should never be the first answer after causing several races to go extinct over the 4 campaigns. At the final showdown with the villain you kill her and the kid reveals that he knew what was going on all along and now he's going to lead cantha into a better future with the rest of her army. If you have read the supplementary material on GW2 you will know all he did was exactly the same shit the other villian was going to do. So everything you did was useless except for 2 more heroes who just continue to break the game.

Well the Prophecies content wasn't anything special. Just fighting the remaining white mantle and mursaat. The Factions content on the other hand.

To start one of the hardest quests in the entire quest line was only because it made you fight a bunch of lvl 24+ enemies with only a party of 4. I only got through it because of persistence. The difficulty is all over the place aside from that. Mainly because of their attempts to constantly try balancing the unbalanceable. The other main problem is the story. The main antagonist wants to forcibly annex both factions back into the empire then commence a crusade against everything not human, which mainly include the tengu, and you have to stop them. The main villain has a kid by her side who she seems to be mind controlling. The kid has a relationship with one of the npcs on your side. All the while your main character is now talking about how violence should never be the first answer after causing several races to go extinct over the 4 campaigns. At the final showdown with the villain you kill her and the kid reveals that he knew what was going on all along and now he's going to lead cantha into a better future with the rest of her army. If you have read the supplementary material on GW2 you will know all he did was exactly the same shit the other villian was going to do. So everything you did was useless except for 2 more heroes who just continue to break the game.

The difficulty was good. Normal mode was about where Hard mode usually is and Hard mode was a nice step above. I didn't have problems with the 4-man mission, low party sizes are just something you have to get used to IMO. The one in the marketplace where you are boxed in and enemies immediately swarm you was the hardest for me.

Agree about the plot though. Best was the one mission that tried to make you feel sorry for killing gang members because "they all have families too". Because after 4 campaigns of killing thousands of people to save the world, and after clearing out a huge underground hideout filled to the brim with those evil fucking elementalists that destroy your whole party with a single AoE spell in the close quarters, what you are thinking about is how all the gang members dindu nothing. It's pretty clear that the writing team didn't give a shit because they were too busy working their GW2 masterpiece of literature.

Last edited:

Dire Roach

Prophet
I think that having being called Guild Wars 2 hurts the game more than anything. As far as I reached playing the game (level 30ish on 5 classes) I cannot help comparing GW2 to GW1 and that is what bothers me the most: there is no more huge pool of skills, the class feel all somewhat samey (you could get creative with GW1 classes see 50 hp monk) the enemies feel dumber than the ones in GW1, the world (what little I've seen) feels bland and full of generic things to do in it.
I enjoyed the bosses and minibosses events in the fields until I saw a farm train or however they're called and I got called a fucktard for daring to attack a boss. The crafting is busywork and the changes to the leveling system that came up (somewhat) recently where they tied masteries and progression to level I didn't enjoy.

I will the first to admit that I haven't reached the level cap or played a wvw or a fractal, but that is where the core problem for me is: I'm bored by a game that feel soulless and treats me like I'm some sort of retard preventing me from picking and choosing skills as I like, so it's not a surprise I can't hit level 60 (or is it 80?). Maybe I shouldn't compare the two games but I didn't choose the name, they did.
I regret buying it.
This. The one thing that GW2 has excelled at, by far, is generating butthurt from GW1 players for what GW2 could have been versus what it turned out to be. If Anet had named it something like Dodging and Dragons instead of GW2, it would have been received as a fairly decent alternative to WoW that leans a bit more towards PVP than PVE.

That was genius.
Introduce a melee class with medium armor and no shield, together with enemies that do high damage upon dying, bosses even more.
A+, would rage again.

Anything that leads to the deaths of millions of narutards is self-justifying. It was great in the early days of Factions seeing 90% of the players in outposts looking for groups being assassin class, since everyone else could just henchmen their way through while the assassins couldn't and had to beg to be taken along.

Sadly in a (late) update they made it armor-ignoring, which also made it not boosted by heightened enemy levels. Can't set up a 1500 damage spike on your own melee by nuking a group, only around 500.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
GW2 was supposed to be interesting because of the "dynamic quests" (not the chore system, but like different "factions" running around the map competing for different resources). But the problem is that was totally brushed aside for the sake of single player personal quests. Those were so fucking mind-numbing and dumb. WHY. WHY. WHY DO I HAVE TO DO PERSONAL STORY SHIT.

Also it was supposed to be the next generation of DAOC. And it flopped in that regard.

I didn't expect a sequel to Guild Wars 1 at all (besides the way the classes worked), but rather an open world MMO that had an interesting, dynamic world, with AI that was doing interesting shit without the player being necessarily involved.

And fuck how the changed the Mesmer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom