Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... How did you feel about Pillars of Eternity?

How did you feel about Pillars of Eternity?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Latro

Arcane
If HBS just removed most of the "he flicks his leathery eyelids up and down quite slowly, as if he blah blah blah, and then shakes his laquered blah blah blah, he looks at you like blha blah blah blah blah blah, add more sentences here of skippable descriptions"

he says. "Hey, stop!"

It'd be a lot more palatable.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am a fan of Oscar Wilde & Robert Jordan so all the beautifully detailed china cups resting on golden saucers dont bother me; they add to the athmosphere of the game and help set up the setting to try to differenciate itself from the standard D&D setting so I wasnt super thrilled but it was way beyter than having the "kill orc, have sex with midget, follow waypoint" faire that RPGs have taken for the last decade

Copper

Savant
At least there's no voicework that skips the description in the middle of the text in Shadowrun.

I am a fan of Oscar Wilde & Robert Jordan so all the beautifully detailed china cups resting on golden saucers dont bother me; they add to the athmosphere of the game and help set up the setting to try to differenciate itself from the standard D&D setting so I wasnt super thrilled but it was way beyter than having the "kill orc, have sex with midget, follow waypoint" faire that RPGs have taken for the last decade

Those are two names I never expected to see in the same place. But as fucking trite as Jordan's dress smoothing, braid tossing insufferable bitches were, he did do a better job in many ways.

What's funny is that people were expecting a certain amount of content from canned Obsidian/Black Isle content to make it into Eternity - quests polished obsessively by Sawyer from the Black Hound into multifaceted gems, whatever they developed from the Wheel of Time RPG - hell, throw in some stuff from the Alien game for a nice change of pace. Years of pent-up and lost stories, finally exposed to their full glory, just as New Vegas had Van Buren to give it a kickstart. Hell, even old scenarios from their D&D games would be more polished than most of the Definace Bay quests.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
At least there's no voicework that skips the description in the middle of the text in Shadowrun.

Those are two names I never expected to see in the same place. But as fucking trite as Jordan's dress smoothing, braid tossing insufferable bitches were, he did do a better job in many ways.

What's funny is that people were expecting a certain amount of content from canned Obsidian/Black Isle content to make it into Eternity - quests polished obsessively by Sawyer from the Black Hound into multifaceted gems, whatever they developed from the Wheel of Time RPG - hell, throw in some stuff from the Alien game for a nice change of pace. Years of pent-up and lost stories, finally exposed to their full glory, just as New Vegas had Van Buren to give it a kickstart. Hell, even old scenarios from their D&D games would be more polished than most of the Definace Bay quests.
Exactly, worse than the writing quality is the complete unoriginality of the quest design, the mmo fetch this and kill that banal shit that has no place in a proper rpg.

likaq

Arcane
complete unoriginality of the quest design, the mmo fetch this and kill that banal shit that has no place in a proper rpg

So you must dislike wizardry series, m&m series and goldbox series. Also kotc and toee. Or any combatfag crpg for that matter because every single one of them have 'mmo fetch this and kill that banal shit' quest design.

pippin

What bothers me somewhat about PoE's writing is that it tends to get in the way. Compare this to Icewind Dale. I do believe it had tasteful writing, very fitting for the setting and an rpg in general. This has nothing to do with the story, just to be clear. Every time I try to talk to NPCs in PoE it feels like I'm readin an encyclopedia. The names, the creatures, the events and all the general lore is dumped on me and I don't have time to make notes of everything I'm reading. This, in the end, is reduced to the old distinction between quantity and quality. Wasteland 2 had a lot of writing as well, but it felt more "useful" for me, in a way. And it allowed me to understand the world and its logics in a better way than PoE's writing.

roshan

Arcane
The most glaring problem with the writing is the sheer irony of the fact that a game that absolutely cannot shut up about souls and keeps on blabbering about them itself is a commercialized dumbed down mass market product completely devoid of any soul.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So... How did you feel about Pillars of Eternity?

Having just recently gotten to play the game properly (still at Defiance Bay)... The setting isn't very interesting, the main story isn't all that captivating, the combat is too often a sparkling ball of character mess, the character progression is rather boring and often feels unimpactful, the writing seems like a standard fare fantasy (nothing really special - and I agree with the criticism about loredump). That's the bulletpoints of it.

However, there's still something there that keeps me from quitting (so far, at least), so I guess it's not utter shit even with its shortcomings.

Seolas

Liturgist
Day one backer who was very much on the hype train, but rarely have I been so bored by a storyline/writing. I was speeding through the last part. Years of voice acting and 'streamlining' haven't ruined my attention span for walls of text, it was just bloody boring. By the end, I was thinking they probably should have just made it a dungeon crawler because the Endless Paths was the part I enjoyed most.

Mortmal

Arcane
Having just recently gotten to play the game properly (still at Defiance Bay)... The setting isn't very interesting, the main story isn't all that captivating, the combat is too often a sparkling ball of character mess, the character progression is rather boring and often feels unimpactful, the writing seems like a standard fare fantasy (nothing really special - and I agree with the criticism about loredump). That's the bulletpoints of it.

However, there's still something there that keeps me from quitting (so far, at least), so I guess it's not utter shit even with its shortcomings.

Would do a perfect sum up for the curator page :

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
The funniest thing here is that Pillars claims to be mature. Gritty? Sure. Mature? In this game you have a quest that involves domestic abuse who's real culprit is a drug dealing shape shifting evil wizard.

Bonerbill

Augur
The funniest thing here is that Pillars claims to be mature. Gritty? Sure. Mature? In this game you have a quest that involves domestic abuse who's real culprit is a drug dealing shape shifting evil wizard.

Are all Europeans as dumb as you? My god you make up the dumbest arguments.

pippin

Durance talks a lot about horny whores though. That makes it a mature game.

jesus did you even do that quest

I love how the drug trade appears there and it's not mentioned again in the whole city after that particular quest. I mean, you only find some guys doing drugs in the poor sector of the city, but that's that I guess?

Sannom

Augur
I love how the drug trade appears there and it's not mentioned again in the whole city after that particular quest. I mean, you only find some guys doing drugs in the poor sector of the city, but that's that I guess?
I think drugs are used relatively frequently in that universe. Edér used to casually smoke narcotics for example.

pippin

Hmm, I wonder how much more will be changed/patched? Thinking of playing now for the first time.

The first expansion was released, and the base game received a patch for it. My guess is that we will see some new patches between this and the next, which will be released in december (iirc?).
There will be no more expansions after that, and PoE2 will start its production.

Perkel

Arcane
They wanted to make mish mash between BG, Torment and Icewind Dale
We got mix between Icewind Dale and BG.

Still would back PoE2 to see where they would go with this. Lore is great but they need that magic and fix their boring combat system of not to high not to low.

Saxon1974

Prophet
The first expansion was released, and the base game received a patch for it. My guess is that we will see some new patches between this and the next, which will be released in december (iirc?).
There will be no more expansions after that, and PoE2 will start its production.
Thanks. Since I lack time and have such a backlog I think u will wait until the game is complete. I'm heading it'd a lot like baldurs gate, that's right up my alley while I don't love real time combat I love exploration RPGs.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Saxon1974 If you like the exploration factor you should maybe consider Serpent in the Staglands over POE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom