Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Yes. Start with MGS Twin Snakes since the original is unplayable now. Some of the remade scenes are bad but others are really well done. You might have to use an emulator for that.

Don't listen to this mongoloid casualfag.

The original is straight up better. Twin Snakes looks nicer, sure, but the levels were NOT designed for that engine. First Person Aiming allowing you to 360noscope all the guards instantly is the most egregious example, but even the camera layout is different from the original. Silicon Knights really didn't give a fuck (they admitted it) and just threw MGS1 into the MGS2 engine and called it a day. The voice acting is also arguably worse. Either way, by the time MGS4 came around, Kojima disowned the game since he's opted to use the original for all of the flashbacks.

dunno lah

Arcane
420 blazing it has no effect on the development and deployment timers, no - neither does moving forward in time from entering missions at a specified time.

Pretty much just have to actively play the game, or let it sit on the ACC / motherbase for 2 hours lol

Well, at least it beats PW's "do a mission for the research to progress"...

On your reply to Trotsky, are you sure the flashback dialogues are from MGS1? I'm pretty sure Naomi and Mei Ling had their American accents in those.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Well, at least it beats PW's "do a mission for the research to progress"...

On your reply to Trotsky, are you sure the flashback dialogues are from MGS1? I'm pretty sure Naomi and Mei Ling had their American accents in those.

Well, Mei Ling has the same voice actress in all three games, and you can clearly see that MGS1 was what the game was drawing from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkshQ_XxX9g

One can also argue that playing Twin Snakes lessens the effects of these scenes, though the things I listed above are more important imo

Edit: Just found out that they used the twin snakes audio in MGS4 because the MGS1 audio was recorded in a basement and was too low quality in comparison to the HD audio of the game. Still, doesn't really change the fact that the playing Twin Snakes over MGS1 is actually worse in a lot of ways.

dunno lah

Arcane
Never played Twin Snakes. Only saw videos. I'm too attached to the original voices, briefing, music and cutscenes.

Trotsky

Arcane
Don't listen to this mongoloid casualfag.

The original is straight up better. Twin Snakes looks nicer, sure, but the levels were NOT designed for that engine. First Person Aiming allowing you to 360noscope all the guards instantly is the most egregious example, but even the camera layout is different from the original. Silicon Knights really didn't give a fuck (they admitted it) and just threw MGS1 into the MGS2 engine and called it a day. The voice acting is also arguably worse. Either way, by the time MGS4 came around, Kojima disowned the game since he's opted to use the original for all of the flashbacks.

Ummm no MGS Twin Snakes was vastly better than the original hence why Kojima made it. The reason he can't reuse anything major is because Nintendo owns the rights.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
I was playing a "Eliminate Armor" mission right now. I needed to take down two tanks, but the last time I attacked them directly my ass got nearly blasted to death by their guns. So I cleared the guards, snuck up on one to plant some C4 on it, and I discovered that I had reached the level at which I could Fulton tanks.

That shit's OP and hilarious as all hell.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I was playing the mission where you had to find armor deployment plans and then later destroy a few tanks.

All fine and stealthy placed some C4 along the route.

Waited till the tanks arrived, and literally 20 meters in front of my C4 the road split, which i didn't notice. Of course the tanks took the other lane.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Twin Snakes' music does not compare well against that of the original. Irrespective of other changes, the downgrade in the music alone makes Twin Snakes the far lesser experience for me.

and

add to the tension far more than their (entirely changed) Twin Snakes counterparts, for instance.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Twin Snakes' music does not compare well against that of the original. Irrespective of other changes, the downgrade in the music alone makes Twin Snakes the far lesser experience for me.

and

add to the tension far more than their (entirely changed) Twin Snakes counterparts, for instance.

True.

Soundtracks and the matrix syndrome of the cinematics are worse than the original. But I prefer the rest on TTW.

Also, this is the best cinematic in the whole series :smug::

DDZ

Patron
Goddamn now I really want to replay MGS 1 & 2 and finally play 3.

I only have a PS4 and Xbox One next to my PC, so I guess emulating is my best bet?

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
There are PC versions of 1 and 2. MGS3 needs a gamepad with pressure sensitive buttons and an emulator to support it, it's a bitch to set up.

DDZ

Patron
I also have a PSTV, I think I can play the first one on that, but the HD collection of the VITA is not supported.

Machocruz

Arcane
Good news is there really isn't much on the horizon for Vidya as a whole so we can all start to move towards other things in life. I mean really, what is there? Age of Decadence and Torment 2 come out fairly soon and should be decent for a playthrough. Dark Souls 3 will likely be treading old ground that's too familiar by now. Barkley 2 and Grimwah are never-ever status. Itz happening men, the gehenna of games.
I'm going to link MGSV into a weaboo combo of Dragon Quest Heroes to SF5 to DQ11, at which point my consolefaggotry will have come full circle barring a decent Phantasy Star or Castlevania revival. Torment 2 will wrap up the PC side and I will ascend from this plane while heathens remain, trapped in Ubishit/Indieshit hell on earth repeating the same cycle of golden age of PC wannabes and theme park open worlding.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Again, the gameplay of Twin Snakes is actually worse. First Person Aiming and Hanging Mode are entirely broken because the level design did not account for those. Things like lockers from MGS2 were thrown in that were not originally accounted for. You also begin the game with your entire life bar, which was another thing not intended design-wise. All of this makes the game far, far easier than it was supposed to be (and the game wasn't particularly hard to begin with). Adding onto this, the camera angles were altered to accommodate the new engine, and have actually cheapened the aesthetic effect and tension of some rooms.

The difficulty adjustments matter because of what I mentioned in that last sentence: tension. When you can pop into a room and 360noscope every guard with your pistol because the level design didn't account for it, you have a problem. It's why a game like REmake is actually better than Resident Evil 1 (too bad Konami didn't follow Capcom in that one specific instance)

They didn't use PS1 footage "because of nintendo" lmao. They used footage from the PS1 game because that was the game Kojima actually made (he had almost nothing to do with Twin Herps) and the game he was proud of.

So how about some arguments from the Twin Snakes Fags beyond "b-b-but the old one is sooo old!!" on the codex of all places, lmao

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just finished Missions 45 and 46. As fun as the core mechanics are, I'm pretty disappointed at the game on the whole. I found it to be the weakest MGS game among the 5 mainline titles. My main issues were as follows:

Fulton: Stealth design is undermined by the amount of fultoning a player is encouraged to do, even with volunteers. The ability to remove enemy soldiers permanently from the map should absolutely have a large penalty attached, but the game mindbogglingly does not, outside of negligible GMP costs. I held out on fultoning soldiers for as long as I could, but I fell too far behind on key items by doing so. For someone who used to replay older MGS titles to achieve the Big Boss equivalent ranks, every single fulton extraction made me feel dirty due to being conditioned to ghost as much of the previous games as possible.

Lack of Resource Management: A somewhat unique aspect to MGS 1-3 compared to many stealth games is that one's inventory persists for (almost) the entire length of the game, and there are no mission breaks to refill one's stock. For instance, during my first time through MGS1, I wasn't too careful with Chaff Grenades and Rations, and as a result, the Rex fight was like running into a brick wall. MGS4 began moving away from this design, and with TPP, this entire mechanic is thrown out of the window and the game is not adequately balanced to compensate for it; the unlimited supplies combined with the fulton and buddy system make most missions pushovers (apart from Mission 45).

Scoring System: Time taken to complete a mission is weighted far more relative to other criteria and one can essentially make a beeline for mission objectives nearly every time to be awarded the highest rank, irrespective of lack of stealth, numerous kills and alerts. The scoring system has been dumbed down so significantly compared to MGS2 and MGS3 that it's one of the biggest gameplay declines in the game.

Underwhelming Mission Design: I found the vast majority of the missions to be repetitive and dull, only salvaged by the strength of the core mechanics and the sandbox elements. The guard outposts and most bases barring 2-3 lacked the handcrafted feeling the earlier games provided. There was also a conspicuous lack of security cameras (I counted 3), indoor areas and general complexity to the level design. The earlier games had only a fraction of the tactical possibilities that TPP allows, but the non-mission based structure of the earlier games also made them far more memorable in hindsight. Many of the game's missions reminded me of Assassin's Creed 1's assassinations wherein I felt the game needed a bit more of the uniquely scripted encounters of a Hitman game to make the missions appear to have more variety in order to avoid feelings of fatigue. Still, as a Far Cry/Mercenaries 1 mashup, the game's missions get the job done from a sandbox mission design perspective, though like the aforementioned games, it has no answers to the cheap tactic of sniping away at guards from far away. As long as I tone down my expectations from the more deliberate stealth design of MGS 1-3, I am able to have dumb fun with the game's sandbox.

Poor Boss Fights: The game's poor boss fights are emblematic of the open world mechanics making balancing a nightmare. Dictated by the demands of regenerating health, unlimited supply drops and the buddy system, no boss fight even posed enough of a challenge to memorize their attack patterns. Easily the worst boss fights of the five games, which is a huge disappointment because I looked forward to MGS games to see what eccentric boss fights Kojima cooks up. That said, the Metal Gear in this one was the most menacing one from a visual standpoint.

Grinding and other F2P Nonsense: Having to replay older missions or grind out 2-3 side ops for missions to progress in Chapter 2 is an indefensible design decision that murders the already terrible pacing the game suffers from. The Mother Base research time became unbearable towards the second half, and unlike the shit Dragon Age Inquisition pulled last year, the time remaining cannot be circumvented by changing the system clock. Such mobile F2P garbage actually prompted me to look up cheatengine entries for the game.

Story Structure and Content: The episodic TV series format Kojima went for didn't work for me with one of the most poorly structured and paced game stories I've experienced in a while. There was very little buildup and and precious little foreshadowing of events for large stretches of the story. 9 out of 10 times I felt I was doing a random mission that was arbitrarily assigned as a main mission and was rewarded with a 30 second audio voiceover at the end that progressed the "story" further. Within the actual missions themselves, I seldom had any attachment to the prisoners I was rescuing or the generals I was eliminating because the game does a piss poor job of weaving them into the overall narrative in a satisfactory manner.

Regarding the actual story content, the Kojima twist in this game undermines so many characters and events in future games in the timeline that it is shockingly dumb. So many characters from MG1, 2 and MGS1 were begging for cameos in this game, and the game marches on oblivious of the storytelling potential in lieu of large expanses of nothingness for most of Afghanistan. Of the story arcs that are there, only Huey and Quiet felt like they had an actual story arc, with a glaring plot thread remaining unfinished. On the subject of retcons, the parasites were as bad as MGS4's nanomachines, especially after I (painfully) listened to the entirety of Code Talker's Research 4 tape. Kojima's obsession with connecting characters from previous games to his current one is in full flow here and worse than ever.

Finally, even the music was surprisingly understated given the often bombastic nature of the past games' soundtracks. I could remember just 3 tracks from the game -- the one involving the Metal Gear chase, the one that plays at the end of Paz's mission and Quiet's theme. I was not surprised at all to discover that there was a change in the composers, which helps explain the difference.

Overall, as a sandbox in the vein of Far Cry meets Mercenaries 1 it fares well, but I keep wishing the game was something it was not. One last time I would have loved to see an MGS game centered around infiltrating a base in the vein of MGS 1-3, with all the accompanying conspiracies, hysterics and insanity. Failing that, given the amount of filler content juxtaposed with unfinished content, I would have gladly sacrificed the poorly justified open world for a set of linearly progressing maps in the vein of Ground Zeroes. All in all, the game was one of my bigger gaming disappointments in recent times given my expectations of what an MGS game entails.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The tranq gun and first-person aiming is still pretty broken in MGS2. There's even a line in MGS3 by Major Zero where he says something like, "the suppressor for your tranquilizer gun won't last forever, so don't get too trigger happy with it" which is one of those Kojima moments of speaking directly to the player.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom