Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the longest RPG ever?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
My bane when it comes to finishing long games is once I understand the systems and mechanics, the joy comes out of it quite a bit. There are exceptions where the systems and mechanics are so good as to warrant multiple play-throughs. These are rare :(
Mention some.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Mention some.
KoTC, ToEE, Ultima Underworld 1&2, Wizardry 8, FFXI (yes), JA2, Gothic 1-2, UO, Underrail, I anticipate D:OS EE will fit the bill.

Couple MMOs on that list.

Mechanically, I find the above scratch my itch and don't get dull. There are plenty of games other than these among my favourites (looking at Ultimas) but I will never replay them unless through pure nostalgia I start but stop because the thrill is gone.

miles teg

Scholar
My bane when it comes to finishing long games is once I understand the systems and mechanics, the joy comes out of it quite a bit. There are exceptions where the systems and mechanics are so good as to warrant multiple play-throughs. These are rare :(
Agreed, the same happens to me. Once the mechanics become known, the story is pretty much my only drive. If the story is good I continue playing, otherwise I just drop.

I dropped Mass effect 2 for this reason.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Agreed, the same happens to me. Once the mechanics become known, the story is pretty much my only drive. If the story is good I continue playing, otherwise I just drop.

I dropped Mass effect 2 for this reason.
Are you implying that Mass Effect 2 has no good story? How can you be so indifferent towards Shepard's incredible quest about stopping the reapers? Oh, wait.

MrMarbles

Cipher
KoTC, ToEE, Ultima Underworld 1&2, Wizardry 8, FFXI (yes), JA2, Gothic 1-2, UO, Underrail, I anticipate D:OS EE will fit the bill.

Couple MMOs on that list.

Mechanically, I find the above scratch my itch and don't get dull. There are plenty of games other than these among my favourites (looking at Ultimas) but I will never replay them unless through pure nostalgia I start but stop because the thrill is gone.

Good mechanics list. Could also include Arcanum as good for experimenting with mechanics and trying different builds (if you don't mind breaking the game repeatedly).

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Good mechanics list. Could also include Arcanum as good for experimenting with mechanics and trying different builds (if you don't mind breaking the game repeatedly).

That's why I left it off to be frank. That and Arcanum induces sleep for me.

Ramireza

Savant
The best "longest" RPG i have played was Fallout New Vegas EVERY quest was fun, no filler stuff at all.

About 150+ Hours and no Grind/Repetetive shit at all.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fallout 2 with Killap's Restoration mod would be a very very long game. There is a lot of stuff he restored, and fallout 2 is already a huge game.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy if it counts.

And fuck Daggerfall, most of the time in this game is spent navigating mazes. It's fun at the beggining when monster are a threat, but right now I'm not even level 10 and i kill everything with 2-3 hits. It's a fun game with a nice character creation, but it's "lenght" is not that diferent from the one in MMO wannabes.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I played through F2 with restoration a bit back, and you've got to hand it to Killap with all that he's done and added, but fuck me yeah it got to be a slog. There's no way that you can rush back to Arroyo if you're going completionist.

I thought the Wakizashi animation was a right laugh, though obviously later the weapons fairly useless.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I have no way of confirming this, but I think the longest game I ever played was Ultima 4. That took forever. Forever! Maybe 80% of the time was spent was switching disks, trying to land the balloon, and walking into random moongates and immediately regretting my decision. Wizardry 7 second. Gothic 3 third. No idea though, none of those had timers on them they just took an incredibly long time.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I have no way of confirming this, but I think the longest game I ever played was Ultima 4. That took forever. Forever! Maybe 80% of the time was spent was switching disks, trying to land the balloon, and walking into random moongates and immediately regretting my decision.

And the wind change, you forgot the wind change, as well as waiting for a ship.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Pfff at 250 hours, when we were like 12-13 and no one between me and my friends spoke english we spent 6 friggin' months to finish this:

Warriors_of_the_Eternal_Sun.jpg

I think about 400+ hours went into that. Then we started again and finished it in less than 3 days since we knew everything. The fun thing? We reached an higher level on our second playtrough because we knew where to grind dragons. My first grindfest ever!

Then, since the following year one of my friend bought the first PC I'd ever seen up close (486 or pentium, can't remember atm), we proceeded to sink something like 400+ hours in this:

Ravenloft_-_Stone_Prophet_Coverart.png

And now I'm all nostalgic and teary thinking about those innocent times. When a merciful linguistic barrier would have prevented all the butthurt I got from reading the bullshit that's posted here daily. 'Grats motherfuckers!

Also my pnp campaigns usually last years, our first Dark sun campaign went on for 5, from level 2-3 to dual class 30-30 psionic/preserver avangion-mothafucka! Granted only 2 in 8 had the character they started with...
Then we had a couple campaigns of werewolf which went on for 2 yrs each, a vampire the dark ages crossover that tied in our second werewolf, and 2 Exalted campaigns, 3 and 2 years.
Currently playing a pathfinder custom lovecraftian setting, we' re starting our 3rd year and just reached level 7 but time to play is short, since my friends apparently can't stop marrying and producing babies...

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
The days of having that sort of time are long past for me. When I get whole days I go fishing!

Skyrim - nearly 1,200 hours and still not started the main quest.

Why? HOW? The last time I played Skyrim, I completed at least half of all the content, including all the discoverable locations, before even cracking a hundred hours. What exactly are you doing that has occupied you for FIFTY STRAIGHT DAYS of playtime?

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
He wants to identify patterns in the permutations of radiant quests. Lol

pippin

The best "longest" RPG i have played was Fallout New Vegas EVERY quest was fun, no filler stuff at all.

About 150+ Hours and no Grind/Repetetive shit at all.

This!
I've finished the game like 5 times and I'm still finding new things. Picking sides really means something in this game.

Indeed, by the time I reach SF I'm burned out, every time.

My first FO2 playthrough had the Restoration Mod installed... not a good idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom