Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What Games Meet Your Standards?

MilesBeyond

Cipher
I was thinking the other day about what I look for in an RPG, and I kind of came to the realization that there weren't any games that actually lived up to what I wanted. There's a few games that mostly get there, and there are a bunch of games that get there in some ways while missing the mark in others, and quite a few that don't get there at all but that I end up enjoying anyway for reasons I can't put my finger on.

But there aren't any games that I play and think "Yes, this is it. This is, to me, the perfect RPG, and I hope it influences everything that gets made after this."

So, have you found your Holy Grail of RPGs? Or are you still searching? If the former, what is it? If the latter, what's come closest, and what prevents it from fulfilling what you want?

Shin

Cipher
FINAL PHANTASY SEVEN IS PERFECT IN EVERY RESPECT

IT EVEN HAS LGBT RELATIONS
FFVII_Cloud_mukki.jpg

Goromorg

Savant
KOTOR 2, BG 2, Age of decadence, Serpent in the Staglands, Morrowind, Grimrock (if it counts as RPG).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Plenty of RPGs meet my standards. There's a difference between having standards and demanding perfection, though. Fix thread title. "What Games Are Totally Perfect, Perfect In Every Way?" :roll:

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Actually, I'm happy with many parts of many games. It's just none of them are perfect by themselves.

Torment sets a standard for writing, but I would also say games like Fallout and AoD do in their own way too. Alpha Protocol and New Vegas set a standard for reactivity.

Waterd

Augur
the story telling of darksun shatterd lands + the combat, ui clarity and minimalism of kotc + the challenge of adom + the variety of combat of final fantasy tactics = the perfect rpg

rado907

Savant
I just like the classics from the various genres - Fate of Atlantis, Quest for Glory, Max Payne 1&2, all the Infinity Engine games, Morrowind, Vice City, the better editions of Pro Evolution Soccer (3, 2006, 2013, 2015) and Football Manager (2004-2007 were insane), the better Paradox titles, Battle for Wesnoth, XCOM, Warlords III, SPWOW, Brood War, Freespace II, IL-2, Majesty 1, DKII, Fallout 1&2, FarCry 1&3&4...

Each one of these games felt special almost from the loading screen.

Replace "game" with "book", and see how utterly self-indulgent and eye-rollingly pretentious the question is.

Reminds me of something some half-baked intellectual in highschool would ask to his hipster friends.

Lhynn

Arcane
Lots of games, i dont got a high bar, it just needs to be fun.
Would probably be too long a list. But i mostly enjoy games that are very good on at least 1 area and that have a heart.

Shammy

Learned
My bar isn't exceptionally high either, hence why I enjoy playing wonky games like the Risen series.

KotoR 2, Arcanum, Planescape, BG2, and Dark Souls are my favorites though, with a lot of lessons to be learned from each.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Nothing is perfect, but I'd say Lufia 2, SaGa Frontier, and more recently Dark Souls come pretty damned close.

So do a lot of roguelikes for that matter, but it feels like cheating to mention them because they're on a whole different tier to scripted games.

Curunír

Novice
There is no perfect RPG. Different RPGs do different aspects well and you can't cramp them all together into one game, either because they immediately contradict each other or because some aspect only works well if the whole design is focussed on it and you cannot focus on dozens of different things at the same time.

Sjukob

Arcane
Gothic 1-2 and Deus ex , despite their flaws I've never complained about them ( Gothic's controls are exceptional ) and never felt that they spoil the game for me . But I didn't play many RPGs , so I have little to choose from .

Deus Ex, Fallout 1 & 2, Jagged Alliance 2, Torment, and the entire S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. KotOR 2 is also up there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom