Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News System Shock released on GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Looking Glass Studios; Nightdive Studios; System Shock

Today sees the release of the original System Shock on GOG courtesy of Night Dive Studios, the same company that was responsible for bringing back System Shock 2 in 2013 (it's unclear why they were unable to release both games together). Unlike its sequel, System Shock doesn't really have any proper RPG elements, but completeness' sake and a respect for its pedigree compel us to post about it here nonetheless.

This particular release has been marked with some controversy, as the game was available for free for many years at Systemshock.org, the premier System Shock modding community. However, it appears that in the end cooler heads prevailed, and Night Dive's release, entitled System Shock: Enhanced Edition, incorporates all the essential fan-made modifications that were available in the free version. It also includes an untouched original version. Here's the game's trailer (one of two!) and description:

You're a renowned hacker, the most notorious cyberspace thief in the corporate world. Caught during a risky break-in, you become indentured to Diego, a greedy Trioptium exec who bankrolls a rare cyberjack implant operation. After six months in a healing coma, you awaken to the twisted aftermath of a terrible disaster. Where are the surgeons? Why is the station in such disrepair? Slowly, the chilling realization that something is very wrong creeps over you.

Once a prime corporate research facility, Citadel now teems with mindless cyborgs, robots and terribly mutated beings, all programmed to serve SHODAN, a ruthless A.I. There's scarcely time to think before it unleashes the first terror...

Exactly twenty one years after its first release, System Shock is back!

The Enhanced Edition adds a modern touch to this true classic gem, without taking anything from its unmistakable atmosphere.

See for yourself that the game that has been called the benchmark for intelligent first-person gaming, has lost nothing of its ability to keep you on the edge of your seat.

System Shock: Enhanced Edition features:
- Higher resolution support: up to 1024x768, and 854x480 widescreen mode.
- Mouselook support added.
- Remappable keys with three profiles to choose from: original controls, custom controls, and lefthanded controls.
- Some original game bugs fixed.
  • Rocket through cyberspace to steal information, hack security and grapple with watchdog defense programs enslaved to a maniacal computer.
  • Survive battle after battle against armies of killer cyborgs and deadly robots as you collect hardware attachments, life-sustaining patches and deadly weapons to combat mindless mutants.
  • Test your intelligence by solving puzzles, rewiring access panels and outwitting SHODAN in its own cyber-realm.
  • Enjoy the vastly improved controls and graphics of the Enhanced Edition - or keep your experience as close to the original as possible with the Classic version.

You can grab System Shock from GOG for the price of $10, minus a 20% launch discount, or 40% if you own System Shock 2. I imagine it'll also show up on Steam sooner or later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
:greatjob:

It is funny how this game feels like more of an RPG than many "canonized" RPGs.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Thanks for the posting. Not sure if I am smart enough to play this again 20 years on. I don't remember finishing the original so I will definitely purchase.

T'is shame GOG is releasing all this god stuff nowadays - if this had happened a few years back I would have no need to go STEAM.

Bravo GOG!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Tried playing this years ago, had big problems with the interface. Been meaning to try again ever since the mouse look thing got released.

Now is as good a time as any and I even remembered to use the RPGcodex link thing.

Excellent timing in general :takemymoney:

Azeot

Arbiter
Too much enemy respawn ruined SS2 for me, so I doubt I'll get this too, even with a 40% discount. A shame really.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
First intelligent action game ever (and almost the last one too) and one of the best games overall. Absolute legend, huge inspiration. Led Zepelin of vidyagames.

Too much enemy respawn ruined SS2 for me, so I doubt I'll get this too, even with a 40% discount. A shame really.

SS2 respawn was indeed annoying as fuck. SS1 has a great respawn system tho, although a bit convoluted. Basically, as long as you kill only up to a certain number of enemies (different for every level and enemy type), they don't respawn, encouraging you to seek other gameplay styles than rambo everything.

Sinatar

Arbiter

If only SS2 included a configuration file that let you modify the respawn rate easily. Oh wait. It does.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
One of my favorite games of all times, thanks to System Shock Portable and guy who made possible mouselook and highres.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Very cool, however, I wish someone would bestow the same attention on Ultima Underworld. It's been ignored for far too long.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Very cool, however, I wish someone would bestow the same attention to Ultima Underworld. It's been ignored for far too long.
The enhanced edition of SS came out on CD a couple months or so after the initial SS floppy release. It included support for higher resolutions, speech and other features. I'm pretty sure the "enhanced edition" on GOG probably wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the initial enhanced edition of SS released in '94. UW never received such love since it was designed around floppy and even when they eventually released it on CD-rom in the EA classics line or whatever for $5, it was just the floppy game on CD. Same as Ultima 7.

But I could be wrong - won't know until tonight

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm pretty sure the "enhanced edition" on GOG probably wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the initial enhanced edition of SS released in '94.

These things have nothing to do with each other.

This SS1 has been "enhanced" with the mods that were developed for the free System Shock Portable that was available on systemshock.org. Which was also the CD version. The floppy version of System Shock is obsolete and obscure and is likely not available for download anywhere.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
These things have nothing to do with each other.

This SS1 has been "enhanced" with the mods that were developed for the free System Shock Portable that was available on systemshock.org. Which was also the CD version. The floppy version of System Shock is obsolete and obscure and is likely not available for download anywhere.

57.jpg

So, they took the exact same name as the '94 "System Shock Enhanced version" because they couldn't think of any other synonyms for "updated"? Come on.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Don't remember any exsessive respawn at all in SS2.
Afair, usually it was like 0-2 mobs max when walking through a cleared area, and it's not like you had to backtrack that much even when looking for chem elements.
No respawn would be boring and spoil the horror part of its atmosphere.

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
I, for one, am really happy. Now I can cram it up the noses of all my friends' who wouldn't touch DOSBox to run it. Also, wouldn't mind playing it again.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Don't remember any exsessive respawn at all in SS2.
Afair, usually it was like 0-2 mobs max when walking through a cleared area, and it's not like you had to backtrack that much even when looking for chem elements.
No respawn would be boring and spoil the horror part of its atmosphere.

Agree, but just play like pure Psionic... you will know the horror.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom