Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple+ Support archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushaden

Scholar
I was going to ask if you wanted me to post a crash due to screenshot, then I forgot it was going to crash and won that battle (no crash this time!) and then I hit escape to save and it crashed :-p

It didn't give me a popup message like that, and I don't think a .dmp file was saved. I will turn off screenshots and report back if anything else happens

mushaden

Scholar
ok so I guess disregard that.

Still no crashes to report.

Some strange things though:

-one of my clerics great-cleaved and sneak attacked. he shouldn't have been able to do either.

-I used the animate dead spell to make a zombie and it did nothing. Just stood there.

Couldn't replicate these, probably some one-off error that got fixed in the meantime.

I don't know if it's the mod, windows 10, or something else with my laptop, but the game is very sluggish. I will do my best to continue to test, though
Hopefully improved now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Conjurer!

I think you may be able to get it to work by setting useDirect39Ex = false in templeplus.ini, if that file was created.

But, to be honest, WinXP is not something we plan to really support, since it is by now used by a very small percentage of PC gamers, and seems to be exponentially shrinking over time - sorry.

There was no file templeplus.ini in the TempleofElementalEvil folder so I guess WinXP did not run TemplePlus at all.

Does that mean only Windows XP does not run Templeplus, or does that mean it won´t work on any 32-bit-Windows and needs a 64-bit Windows?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Great to hear! Let me know if those other oddities persist. If so - are you using a save you've started in the vanilla game?

Heinous Hat - confirmed white screen; a bit weird since it works when called from console.
RedOwl - confirmed the throne bug, couldnt replicate the wand bug. Can you submit a save demonstrating this?

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Ok, I re-binked the movie at 720x486 (instead of 720x480) to match the temple entrance bik and it plays fine. Not sure whether the frame size actually has anything to do with it or if the re-encoding fixed some other aspect the in-game renderer doesn't like. I suspect the former... have to try it again without the resize to be sure.

edit: err... switching back to the original file now works as well. Not sure what's going on :?

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Taking the skull from the chest (haven't tried the other way).

I updated RAD Tools (bink, smacker etc) before I edited the file. I don't remember if it installs a system codec for playing those file types, though you'd think the dll in the toee directory would take precedence either way. That's the only thing I can think of that might be related. The movie also played ok externally before updating it.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Heh.

Are you playing it manually or by taking the skull?

Taking the skull from the chest (haven't tried the other way).

I updated RAD Tools (bink, smacker etc) before I edited the file. I don't remember if it installs a system codec for playing those file types, though you'd think the dll in the toee directory would take precedence either way. That's the only thing I can think of that might be related. The movie also played ok externally before updating it.
Pugmeister just fixed this, in build 305. Many curses were uttered :P

Yeah, I have a RL deadline coming up myself so less time as well. Holidays season starts 3 weeks from now, though...

So firstly, thank you all so much for your work on this project. I'm experiencing two bugs that seem potentially related to TemplePlus. The first: the throne that moves to give you access to Zuggtmoy's locked level isn't doing it. I have the golden skull, and have cleared all of the nodes, but instead of the throne moving, there are now two thrones, one in front of the other!
Fixed in b317

The other bug occurs randomly when I try to use my crafted wand of magic missiles. After I do, an enemy will "use an item" out of turn, my turn immediately ends, but the next person's turn never begins. At this point, I can move the mouse, but cannot access the menu or do anything else besides Alt-Tab out of the game and close TemplePlus manually.
I am running the 0.1.0-pre+275 and the CO8 8.1 NC on Windows 10.
Cannot replicate

Took a while but we finally nailed the first; can't replicate the second though...

It was quite a devious little bug, that might affect other issues reported here - will have to test. Check it out at build 317.
Edit: seems to run fine for 7 hours straight in the shopmap, so that c9uld be the end of that bug too. Will do some more testing.

In other news, Pug is drilling into the particle system - hopefully we can fix those annoying node / fire temple slowdowns once and for all (without resorting to shitty hacks like paraplegic efreeti :P)

I find leaving the game sit idle for any great length (i.e. hours) leads to a video memory leak which causes a black screen or eventual crash. Minimizing in windowed mode accelerates that process. Current workaround: don't do those things :D

Ok, there was definitely a memory leak there when using Direct3d9Ex, which Pug just plugged. It was specific to minimizing the window however so not sure if leaving for extended periods of time is related or not. Fix available at b324.

Latest update from Pug increases the Sector cache size from 16 to 128, which should improve scrolling performance to areas you've already visited, as well as solving (or at least improving) a particle effects glitch from vanilla.

Meanwhile I'm about halfway through deciphering the Pathfinding system... pretty confident I can adjust it so the AI recognizes AoO threatened areas and path around them, though it may take a while.

edit: more like 90%, including recreating it in TemplePlus. Also trying to diagnose why the pathfinding sometimes fails in large maps (e.g. where some characters get a path and others get left behind...). Seems to be an issue with Path Node interconnectivity.

P.S. Pug also made a particle editor (well, viewer+ right now) - you can get it from the appveyor link (TemplePlusTools.zip).

particleEditor.png

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Pugmeister just fixed this, in build 305. Many curses were uttered :P

Checked it and it's ok; tried various resolutions. Though it's still a mystery why the thing played normally after swapping it out and back again. Cached metadata or something?

Incidentally, in that encounter with Falrinth (wizard)... after he's taken a beating and escapes, his spell vfx remain visible until they expire. Probably a scripting oversight and not a templeplus issue... don't remember if that happens in plain co8 or vanilla.

Fixed v1.0.85

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I definitely remember that from co8; in vanilla I think he just doesn't cast as many spells (and no prebuffs at all). I think it might ultimately be tangled with spell permanency issues so it's worth investigating.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
I definitely remember that from co8; in vanilla I think he just doesn't cast as many spells (and no prebuffs at all). I think it might ultimately be tangled with spell permanency issues so it's worth investigating.

Those spells do expire eventually and the effect disappears. It's the ones with longer duration that hang around (mage armor, etc).

Testing templeplus has slowed a bit for me lately. Haven't gotten around to trying 'aid another' yet. And I have a short list of feats I experimented with but never commented on... they all work. Mostly things in the archery line iirc.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Was it really? Don't recall that. Maybe you're thinking of autosave? Either way I've never ran into trouble with it, and it's quite a nice feature for combats with lots of participants.

The thing is that with Co8 you rarely see it, because ToEE is hardcoded to abort simultaneous action if the critter has a san_start_combat script attached, which most Co8 critters do, usually for the workarounds for breaking free and the old spiritual weapon ignore method. I think the reason is to prevent silly situations like an NPC breaking combat to speak with you while its friends are attacking... or who knows what other messy situations could occur. Now that these workarounds aren't needed I'd like to revert them, and move the rest of the combat AI/logic into the C code or to a dedicated python script.

edit:
apparently it does cause a bug:
http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=41301&highlight=concurrent#post41301
Yep, that was it... missed PC turns and AoOs.

BTW, you asked to keep an eye on the turn time display... I have seen at least one instance of the color not draining accurately during a move action. It's the opposite of what's in the bug list you linked (#378). I can't reproduce it at the moment, but it's extremely rare so far.
Naturally I am unable to replicate this too :argh:

Edit: hopefully fixed by now (animation ID = 0 shenanigans)

Last edited:

Salk

Novice
Patron
Great job, guys!

This is the most exciting thing that ever happened to ToE! Thanks a lot!

Aenra

you should NOT use the Co8 Front-End except to activate the modpack once

(i can feel my dumbfuck tag incoming...) Which modpack are you talking about? Am i to understand:

1)except to activate the CO8 modpack once
or
2)except to activate the TemplePlus modpack once?

Apologies for this, but i've never ever had to manually activate addons, so got no clue where to create folders; ie if you meant the latter, do be kind enough to inform me how to go about it..pwease.. :M

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Was there some kind of falling out with Co8? Because from the exterior i can't see any reason why this isn't integrated and tested with the (many) data changes that Co8 has if they're intended to be used together.

Besides being inconvenient. I guess what i'm really asking, if you don't want to answer about the 'falling out' part is 'will the new executable be bundled with the Co8 and total conversions installers?'

Sitra Achara

Arcane
The Co8 modpack, just so it unpacks its files (that's more or less what it does when it 'activates'). I was emphasizing not to run the game through the co8 front end since it runs toee.exe instead of templeplus.exe, but you still need to use the front end to activate the co8 mod if you want to use it (and I do recommend it since it's got plenty of fixes and other goodies not included in T+, but it's not mandatory in case someone wants a more vanilla experience).

There will be some form of bundled release down the line because it would be very stupid not to have one (modder butthurt drama nonwithstanding ;) )

Last edited:

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
Man I really wanna do a fixes only "reimplementation" of what Co8 is and just distribute that with TP.

Aenra

Got some issues that appeared after 'installing' temple:

- you probably are aware of this but it appears that the anti-aliasing option, while available in the options, does nothing. It also does not save, as even after switching it on, it will revert on its own back to an 'off' state

- sound (be it in effects or music) is not as ..vivid..? as it was on a co8 state; not vivid as in everything is heard like it's behind a curtain; there's a word to describe this, but until caffeine assists me a touch further, this will have to do. I can tell you that switching back to co8 sorts this, and that additionally it is not a matter of volume. More like losing 'crispiness'/'presence'

- (this tentatively, been a while since i run this, could well not be your fault) in some cases i'm failing to hear some mini effects entirely, such as footsteps. I believe they are being played out, but 'buried' under other or louder effects

- my mouse allows me to scroll the screen upwards and downwards (and without the jerkiness experienced in co8, kudos for that), but not sideways. At all. As it is now, my only way to look left or right is to 'send' a toon over, then r/click his portrait so that the camera is forced to refocus on them

- keyboard input (to answer the imminent question) is limited to actions such as show inv or show log. Escape does nothing, arrow keys do nothing. Combine these last two and it makes for ah erm, challenging experience :P

Win7 Pro 64bit, UAC disabled, game installed in a non-Programs folder
GoG edition of ToEE
CO8 NC 8.1
Latest Front End (v4,7) as the co8 is still shipped with v4,6 afaik
All CO8 additional bugfixes that have yet to make it into a package. Most of which are by you, lol
Mouse is a Corsair M95 http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-m95-performance-mmo-and-rts-laser-gaming-mouse-gunmetal-black
Keyboard is a Corsair K95 http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-k95-fully-mechanical-gaming-keyboard
Sound Card is a Sound Blaster Z http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sound-blaster-z.aspx

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Can you check if alt+tabing in and out of the game solves this?

I suspect these are issues we inherited from vanilla since we didn't really change input handling or sound... the biggest change is that we force windowed mode (even in fullscreen). Can you test vanilla/co8 (i.e. withput T+) in windowed mode?

Also please post the log file (templeplus.log) after a session where you try to scroll and use the keyboard.

Last edited:

Aenra

Be it the sound issue or the Kb/Mb one, the answer am afraid is no, neither :S

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Pleased to announce that we've finally nailed the infamous Node Lag bug (where the screen can hang for a few seconds or even minutes in some cases). It has been known for a while to be caused by particle systems, and the Co8 mod actually includes a workaround for it already (several creatures with particle systems simply had them stripped), but this fix will now address the problem wherever it may appear. For more details see here: https://github.com/GrognardsFromHell/TemplePlus/issues/94

Haha, is that supposed to be a pug?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom