Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
It was trolling, i actually quit because i didnt have the time to play it, still dont. i just wanted to see their reaction. Thoroughly disappointed with it.
Was expecting a "well, yeah bro, game is flawed, deal with it", instead of the fanboy rage. I did have fun with this tho.
tumblr_m8bfvd3rDo1qfdtqno1_500.jpg.jpeg

Oh fuck m8 you trolled me so hard. You also managed to prove how I'm a retarded fanboy. I was totally frothing at the mouth, defending my favorite game. Little did I know... I am SO embarrassed.

Lhynn

Arcane
Oh fuck m8 you trolled me so hard. You also managed to prove how I'm a retarded fanboy. I was totally frothing at the mouth, defending my favorite game. Little did I know... I am SO embarrassed.
Well... yeah, kinda like that, you should be. you were disgusting.

Machocruz

Arcane
Time to hipster:

Having played the three Souls games recently, I now find myself in the camp that says DaS1/A-team is a tad overrated. The game was surprisingly easy the first time I played it. After that it became downright trivial. DaS2 had me on my toes again. We can argue whether how this was done is cheap or fair, but the resulting effect is what it is. Extreme tracking looks stupid, but given the slow-ish speed and other mechanics FS have chosen for this series, there is little else they can do. It's no worse than enemies whiffing like scrubs because you walked to the side.

Let's talk about the much vaunted environments in DaS1: they're really not all that. A good portion of them are not that interesting to traverse or look at. The best areas are better than the best ones in vanilla DaS2, but that doesn't hold as much weight as the DaS2 haters say it does, not to me. When you add on DLCs for both games, DaS1 gets its doors blown off. And sorry DeS haters, every zone in that game is iconic. Nothing in DaS1 is fucking with with Tower of Latria. Nuh-thing. The also lauded inter-connectedness is a novelty to me, nothing more. It's clever, but it's not doing anything for the core play. I'm not the kind of person who marvels at the fact that you can see one area from another.

Let's talk about DeS. I'm seeing some bullshit about how it's the least atmospheric one? Say what now? There is a palpable evocation of desolation and decay in DeS that the series has not matched. It's haunted, lonely. If you played Shadow of the Colossus, it kind of feels like that world. And this theme runs through the game (give or take some severely out of place bosses) giving it a singular identity, while the other two felt like hodge podges of dark and high(er) fantasy. I don't think there is any area in DeS that isn't thick with atmosphere, can't say the same for the other two. Even at its "lightest" moment (Stonefang), the pervading atmosphere is exactly what it needs to be while fitting into the whole. I thought some areas in vanilla DaS2 were particularly flat and/or confused, lacking the sure hand seen in the prior two games.

Let's put it this way when it comes to atmosphere: DeS is to DaS1/2, as Diablo is to Diablo 2

What you can't take away from DaS1 is the boss fights. I have a special place in my heart for Man Eater, Tower Knight, and Storm King, but those go back to atmosphere. Seeing TK for the first time led me to pre-ordering the NA release. But on the whole, DaS1 has it over that game.

DaS2 gets shitted on and it's not justified against the bigger picture of today's games. It's a lengthy, substantial journey, full of variety and challenge. Few games even give you that assortment of areas, bosses, and enemies, even if they don't all work. It has very little competition in it's sub-genre, in fantasy games, or melee action games. Only the other From games and Dragon's Dogma are fucking with it, and I often think that it's a more interesting game than DaS1, but that could be because it's newer and bigger. That's just vanilla I'm talking about. Add the DLCs and all bets are off. Sunken King alone, my favorite, eviscerates anything gaijin are producing in the ARPG genre. It's a better dungeon trek than any in the other Souls games. The running animation in DaS2 is gay as fuck though.

3: I don't know. The atmosphere doesn't look that hot, so far. Boletarian felt like a plague hit it, Undead Burg felt like it was sacked by an evil army, the town in the demo looks cheery in comparison. I hope the bosses make sense in the context of the areas they are in, and aren't just gangly BB bosses because that's Miyazaki's thing now.

Last edited:

Caconym

Augur
I don't think anybody says DS is perfect, Lhynn. It's just when you clearly don't have enough experience with the games – by your own admission, not to mention stating things like DS discourages exploration –, your opinions don't weigh much with the people who put dozens to hundreds of hours into the series.

Lhynn

Arcane
I don't think anybody says DS is perfect, Lhynn. It's just when you clearly don't have enough experience with the games – by your own admission, not to mention stating things like DS discourages exploration –, your opinions don't weigh much with the people who put dozens to hundreds of hours into the series.
Well, for the first bit. Experience with the game matter 0 in this particular context. Its an outright cheating move in a game that tells you "Dont worry, we dont pull this kind of crap" where everyone that recommends it says "though but fair bro".
For the second, exploration is discouraged in the way that its always a gamble, a risk vs reward kind of deal tru experimentation. You cannot save your game and load it later. You either face the challenge to get the goodies or you dont. You can always spend your souls and go to that place not caring if you die, it doesnt matter, you are effectively immortal.
My opinions are p. much facts in this particular case. I may not have played much of DS but i have played games in my life, and these are elements found in other games as well, because im not talking about some preference or whatnot, im presenting what i found in the game and telling you "this, this is shit".
The facts i present should be then accepted as such, especially BECAUSE you are already aware of their existence. Im not asking for you to excuse them, merely acknowledge them. But you go down the rabid fanboy path and i get to mock your collective apologetic retardation like any codexer should.

Gentle Player

Arcane
The also lauded inter-connectedness is a novelty to me, nothing more. It's clever, but it's not doing anything for the core play. I'm not the kind of person who marvels at the fact that you can see one area from another.

No, there's more to it than the Unreal -esque "See that structure in the distance? You'll be inside it in a few levels!" For the first time player, things like activating the lift from Undead Parish to Firelink Shrine, or ascending from the bottom of the Blighttown swamp and opening the gate to the Valley of Drakes are important experiences that provide the player with great relief, allowing one access to the brief respite of "civilisation" (such that it is in Souls games) from the midst of hostile territory, and making general world exploration easier by opening up new avenues. If that isn't doing anything for "the core play" then I don't know what is. There is absolutely and undeniably something of the experience lost when, say, one can journey to the depths of the Black Gulch but casually crush a homeward bone and warp to anywhere in the world that they fancy, pick up some fresh supplies and poison curatives, and warp back to continue their journey.

LivingOne

Savant
Is this another discussion about attacks-tracking being fair or not? Of course it is. All you need to do is dodge at the last moment, right before the attack lands to let the hit go right through your i-frames instead of hammering the dodge button as soon you see the slightest hint of an animation or half-way through. You're supposed to do that in every japanese action games, not sure what's so new or shocking or surprising or whatever about that.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"Great, another big enemy. I'm just gonna strafe around to his back and...WHAT THE FUCK, WHAT THE FUCK!?!? BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!111"

We've all been there xD

Gozma

Arcane
A mechanic I noticed with spinning top enemies in DS2 is that if you roll directly into them during their swing (using I-frames to avoid getting hit), DS2 lets you use directional input to alter your roll so you can move slightly off axis even if you are locked on that enemy. That lets you roll past the swing and stand up directly behind them without ever unlocking, which lets you easily roll-BS several enemies. In DS1 you have to do the fairly difficult maneuver of unlocking, manually rolling into/past their attack, moving the camera a little, then relocking to get the same effect, because rolling into enemies locked-on makes you stand up one inch from their face every time.

Lhynn

Arcane
:M Fuckng codex mang...never fails to deliver

getting hit by turtle knights ....:retarded: are you quadraplegic or what?
Ok, you retarded ass cunt. when i say that water is wet, its not merely my opinion, its a fucking fact. now if you stop quoting out of context and adress the issue at hand we may have a constructive argument, if not fuck off.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Lhynn is actually right. Intuitive, well telegraphed attacks and consistent game rules don't mean "easier game"; it's a sign of quality.

But quitting a game because a single retarded moment is kinda radical, though.
Meh they changed that attack because in the earlier games similar mobs had a more immediate downward swing. It was easy to dodge and simply attack the mob from the side. In DS2 they simply delayed the timing for the downward swing to screw with veterans and they also made it so they could turn before swinging downard making timing more crucial. I'm pretty sure they don't turn more than 90 degrees though. If you circle behind them they just fall on their back though. Another new trick they added to make them more difficult.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Pretty sure at least some weapons/enemies in DaS had the same kind of behaviour too, it's just not very common. I think some of the charge attacks from black knights work this way, and some of the black phantoms (Matilda maybe?)

At any rate I don't see how it's any different from something like the mimics. The game gets a free kill on you the first time, nothing a reasonable player can do about it, but after that you know the trick and can be prepared. Exact same shit.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I'm talking about the mobs that had a similar moveset and were redesigned a bit in DS2. Of course other mobs had delayed timing. The point was that they updated that mob and improved it to make it more difficult and there wasn't anything wrong with it. That's why it had delayed timing and didn't swing downward right away.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'm talking about the mobs that had a similar moveset and were redesigned a bit in DS2. Of course other mobs had delayed timing. The point was that they updated that mob and improved it to make it more difficult and there wasn't anything wrong with it. That's why it had delayed timing and didn't swing downward right away.
Yeah, the trolls from DaS were really some of the most pathetic enemies around. Really only noteworthy if you were stuck in the muck and they had friends around. I was just pointing out that the high speed swivel maneuver isn't actually something new to the series- there's always been a tradeoff on various attacks between the length of the windup and how late (and therefore how accurate) the tracking is.

Sure, it looks like bullshit- but then again so does me blocking attacks from anything weighing over 500lbs or so.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
A friend of mine went to Igromania (sort of like russian e3) two days ago and witnessed someone from the visitors stealing the console with DS3 installed on it. Someone's playing DS3 at home with impunity. :negative:

Network test client seems to be available for NA PS+ members. According to reddit it's not connecting to the server yet though. I think Oct. 16th is when it'll work?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom