Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Undertale - friendship/genocide RPG

Ivan

Arcane
Hey so I had to restart cuz I got the normal Undyne fight. What am I doing wrong? How do I know when I clear a section. Do I have to cleaer each "room" or just section (ruins, snow, lava)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I just had to clear each section. I even fucked up slightly by not clearing the snow area before killing papyrus, then I went back and cleared it. You can tell you're done a section by the message you get from the save point in that section, it's the same for all cleared areas.

In other news:
nHHOwsA.png

(This was an awesome fight, but the actual ending is incredibly fucking lame. Black screen and no real explanation? FFS way to phone it in after I sank hours into the final boss.

lightbane

Arcane
You get a little more info if you restart the game after watching the evil ending, then waiting for a few minutes. Also, should you complete the game again with the pacifist ending, there will be a nice surprise waiting for you. Same if you do a Genocide playthrough again (I recommend you to watch these post-genocide ending variations in Youtube though, it's not really worth the effort unless you love the game).

Also, that name. :lol:
You too are terrible at naming, right?

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
can you enter happy snowdin, exit wipe the map, and go back and change it to scary snowdin? think i messed up again

also, JJJJJJJEEEEEERRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYY *shakes fist*

Damned Registrations

Pretty sure I did exactly that. I recall going into Grillby's and noticing the dogs were missing but a bunch of other monsters were there, later I returned and it was totally empty.

lightbane

Arcane
In Genocide mode, you don't have to clear each map individually, but each area. As in, "X" number of monsters in Snowdin, Y in Hotland, Z in Waterfall, etc. It doesn't matter if you fight these next to a save point or somewhere else, as long as it is located in the same area.

Logically, the area's town doesn't count due its lack of random encounters (and anyone else, for that matter). Bosses and sub-bosses are also included in the kill-count, so you don't have to wipe out everyone to the last man monster if you still have a few bosses to fight with. You'll know you're done with the cleansing when the music becomes distorted, npcs are no longer where they're supposed to be and puzzles are switched off.

Ivan

Arcane
thnx bros. got it figured out. now i gotta finish this undyne fight. she's wrecking me.

Aurelius

Educated
Just finished my first playthrough, which was a botched pacifist run because I killed
Undyne, because I was too retarded to figure out how to mercy her.
Thought it was pretty awesome, until the very last boss fight:
Without further knowledge of the story, Flowey seems to be a pretty shitty character. His boss fight sucked as well, because it didn't fit the tone and art style of the game. Sure it fit with the whole theme of changing up the game mechanics to surprise the player, but it was just too drastic of a change. It just felt so extremely out of place and wasn't particularly fun to play. For me it had the quality of the various hilariously bad horror games (e.g. sonic.exe, which also featured that "I am god"-theme).

And oh boy, what a twist that was when that throwaway character from the tutorial turned out to be the true final boss for this route! Of course I'm sure there's some deeper meaning to it, but from what I've seen this was a pretty heavy-handed attempt at adding a twist and making the game more grimdark.
Anyway, I sure hope that true pacifist ending is worth it. It's still a good game, but I don't think I'm going to bother with a genocide playthrough.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just finished my first playthrough, which was a botched pacifist run because I killed
Without further knowledge of the story, Flowey seems to be a pretty shitty character. His boss fight sucked as well, because it didn't fit the tone and art style of the game. Sure it fit with the whole theme of changing up the game mechanics to surprise the player, but it was just too drastic of a change. It just felt so extremely out of place and wasn't particularly fun to play. For me it had the quality of the various hilariously bad horror games (e.g. sonic.exe, which also featured that "I am god"-theme).

And oh boy, what a twist that was when that throwaway character from the tutorial turned out to be the true final boss for this route! Of course I'm sure there's some deeper meaning to it, but from what I've seen this was a pretty heavy-handed attempt at adding a twist and making the game more grimdark.
Anyway, I sure hope that true pacifist ending is worth it. It's still a good game, but I don't think I'm going to bother with a genocide playthrough.

To understand Flowey character I suggest you do true pacifist and watch genocide route ending areas, it explain everything behind him and his motivations.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I think we are beyond the point where we can afford the luxury of giving the benefit of doubt that indie devs and modders are that subtle. But I hope so.

Ivan

Arcane
FUCKING UNDYNE's ARROW ATTACK> AASD>SAD:LAS:DASDAS:DSADSADSAd :x

panicked w/ 2 more hits to go

do inv frames stack if I have a defensive weapon and shield?

YIIIIIIIIIIIIIS FISH WOMAN DOWN!

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
LOl I just got 1 shotted by SANS

fuuuuuuuuu this is going to be the ost to my dream tonight

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

I also recommend taking his advice, btw. Just start a new game, forget about the whole 'genocide' thing.

rrc2soft

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I also recommend taking his advice, btw. Just start a new game, forget about the whole 'genocide' thing.

Or you can also defeat Sans... And reset the game immediately afterwards, before entering
Asgore
chambers. Finishing a genocide run is...well...not worth it.
You will have to wait 10 minutes in the start screen after being killed by the "first child", and afterwards your save file will be tainted, so you can never reach the true pacifist ending ever again

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Someone should probably review this, considering it's by far the highest rated game on Metacritic...

Aurelius

Educated
highest rated game on Metacritic
It's great, but does it really deserve that place? It excels in knowing its audience and some has some interesting mechanics, but the story is kind of shitty, to be honest. I'd have preferred if it stayed a bit more low-key.

Ivan

Arcane
what it lacks in its plot it makes up for it with its characters...oh and that soundtrack is quite great too

lightbane

Arcane

Well, I don't know if you have gotten the Good ending already, but
You can find several hints ingame that Flowey is still around after the tutorial, such as Sans mentioning that his brother often heard a little flower talking to him. In addition, in certain rooms and/or cutscenes you can spot Flowey hiding underground when you turn around (such as the scene in the bridge, when Papyrus threatens you with his "death trap"). But yeah, he could have used more screen time before the endgame.
The fact that his boss fight didn't fit the tone and art style was intentional, it was meant to show how he became so powerful that it became an horrible god-like abomination that didn't belong to this world, his shape horribly distorted by his deranged mind and immense hatred. Personally I liked it, you won't often see an enemy that uses save-states to troll you :lol: Also, before that you can say the game was getting quite grimdark already, with the implications that the previously murdered humans were children and Assgore attempting to downplay what is essentially your execution.

At some point I considered making a review for this game, but for now I going to wait a while to see if the incoming patches balances certain fights and/or adds new content (the stuff about Gaster implies there's more to the game that's going to be implemented sooner or later).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's great, but does it really deserve that place? It excels in knowing its audience and some has some interesting mechanics, but the story is kind of shitty, to be honest. I'd have preferred if it stayed a bit more low-key.
Of course not, metacritic is terrible. But it's a notable metric and a good argument for an Official Codex Review. I wouldn't even call Undertale a good game. But it's a game that's worth playing and supporting, and even studying because it deconstructs the genre in a way that hasn't been executed this well before.

Damned Registrations

I'd like to note that adding extra stuff in a patch later on is a WAY better plan for including super sekret speshul endings and other things in a game, as opposed to the BoI thing where he tried to hide it behind stupid amounts of luck and forced grinding... which the community utterly destroyed in less than a week by sheer volume and botting the grindy bit. As an added bonus, leaking out a bit more of the secret content every once in a while would keep the community buzz going for a lot longer as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom