Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Director's Cut Story & Scale Trailer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

With the release of the Wasteland 2 Director's Cut imminent, inXile are releasing various promotional trailers for the game. Last week, there was the "Welcome to the Wasteland" trailer, which consisted mostly of recycled footage from the game's intro movie and short gameplay snippets. Today's five minute "Story & Scale" trailer is more interesting. Watch as Brian Fargo explains Wasteland 2's premise and demonstrates some of the choices & consequences available in the in-game location of Titan Canyon, all in a rather incongruently pleasant tone of voice:

Pretty cool, actually. More games should use this style of trailer.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
why all these trailer releases are scheduled when all the attention is on Divinity 2 kickstarter closing days?

Xeon

Augur
Are they still going to force us to choose between the lab and the water village or maybe allow us to try and save both?

I hope combat will be a little better, it was kinda of a drag and kinda boring before. they said it will be like XCOM Enemy Unknown or something.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Are they still going to force us to choose between the lab and the water village or maybe allow us to try and save both?

I hope combat will be a little better, it was kinda of a drag and kinda boring before. they said it will be like XCOM Enemy Unknown or something.

Actually I read it was possible to do both. Not sure how though I wasn't able to either.

Shammy

Learned
Pretty mellow but effective trailer, I shiggity. Been waiting for this to come out before I actually give it a swirl, as I didn't hear too many great things about it before. But sounds like all of the new additions/improvements will make it worthwhile.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
I'll probably start my Wasteland 2 playthrough in 2016, once the DC edition is patched.

Aenra

This version should make up for a lot of the original's omissions or errors, so definitely eager to get my hands on it. If nothing else, curiosity. And admittedly, the fact that i need not pay for it all over again sure does sweeten the deal.

Even so, unless of course it has been the case and i missed it, i know some of my complaints will remain just as valid..areas felt too small, too contrived, too linear, too quest driven and most of all too inter-connected with one another. It is wrong to even compare it with the Fallouts, but i do (they instigated this comparison by their way of handling area transition and travelling mini-game, so i find me not to blame). Because what was always on my mind while travelling in W2 was the glaring omission of the Fallouts' ..openess.. and ..indifference..(?) if i could put it like that.
In F1/2 i would "discover" a town (yes, those first couple of times, prior to learning where they all were), and i would be spending a lot of time traversing it, learning its ins and outs, cheesing the saves so i could try out various (dumb) actions or manipulate my surroundings. I would do so minus impending dooms or events that auto-triggered the second i entered, forcing me once more to go all linear about everything. While those too did exist, yes, they did not apply themselves everywhere, and if i may say so, they sure did present themselves as more original. Precisely due to their lack of frequency, unlike in WL2. None of that here, not to an extent that justifies any resemblance.
And most of all, which is why i mentioned 'indifference', those areas, unlike the ones in W2, all seemed as if they had been going on without me, and could have continued to go on without me, forever. They had a life of their own. More to it, they all had a distinct flavour that derived from their very occupants and/or mini-locations. Not one that came to be due to my input. Afterwards.

This "being the major catalyst" of each and every area in WL2 got tiresome all too quick. Just as the seeming chain-linking of locations takes away from a notion of a varied/organic whole (when everything is linked and is linked in one way alone, it's neither natural nor plausible), and reminded me of episodic, instanced lobby areas. First A, then B. Which is exactly what they felt like; a-la game types i have never managed to find a likeness for. That is for me the 'spirit' i had hoped they would encapsulate. A 'spirit' there in the original Wasteland, a 'spirit' once more captured (albeit ok, differently) in the Fallouts. And one they failed to achieve here, completely. And their pedigrees be damned.

edit: in before moronic over-generalising response in the form of "but you could travel around if you wanted to".
NO, not when i was motivated not to by quests/scripts, and most definitely NO, not when i needed radiation gear to do something as simple as a stroll round my surroundings. Unlike in say, the Fallouts ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

butchy

Prospernaut
Although I do not share everyone's view that Mr. Fargo is the Beatles of salesmanship, I am very excited to play this update. I think WL2 was a masterpiece, and the improvements they are making to chardev are exactly what the game needed. I am also happy the fixed chardev in WL2 and not having a kickstarter to fix it in WL3.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought the trailer was pretty cool.

Wasteland 2 felt a little more like Fallout: Tactics, rather than any of the original Fallout titles, mainly due to the linear mission structure. It is still completely reasonable though, since you're a party of desert rangers and not some loner. Traveling from A to B is required by the job you're given.

I've heard that Brian Fargo acquired the copyright (or whatever) to the 'Van Buren' name, which could possibly be used in a real 'Fallout' type game. Like what Aenra sounds like they want.

Aenra

Nekot-The-Brave
In a way i agree, though to me it was more like a coincidence than a desire, ie the practical outcome of simply taking a Fallout-y pattern and "expanding" on it by adding more PCs for the player to control.
As to what i'd want? Well the Fates have already been kind to me friend, as it appears i've already got my Fallout 3 what i wanted;

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/

Anything over that is just bonus ^^

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nekot-The-Brave
In a way, i agree, though to me it was more like a coincidence than a desire, ie the practical outcome of simply taking a Fallout-y pattern and "expanding" on it by adding more PCs for the player to control.
As to what i'd want? Well the Fates have already been kind to me friend, as it appears i've already got my Fallout 3 what i wanted;

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/
Underrail is going to be great when it comes out. I've been waiting for that day for over a year now (yeah, I learned about it late), but it's getting closer, I can feel it.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Underrail is going to be great when it comes out.

It really already is.
Plus I read somewhere that Styg'll try to make the saves compatible from now on, since most of the work now is the end-game and some extra polish. (Meaning graphic & atmospheric clean up, not eastern Europeans.)
Not certain if that's correct though.

In any case, even 'incomplete' it's ten times better than WL2 will ever be no matter how many 'super duper special limited edition director's cuts' they make.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Watching the video posted by the OP reminds me of how much I actually enjoyed WL2 - "Hungry like a wolf - baby - yeah!"

But in line with the other thread that talks about Choices and Bioware - I was not all that impressed. Especially Fargo going on about how you can do so many things in different ways and that all players will have "unique" WL2 experience.

So - madmonk canyon, you can talk to them, kill them or go around them.

So the various containers, open them with this skill or that skill etc

Save A or B? What about doing a Kirk as in the Koyabashi Maru and saving both A and B. What about a choice where you go exploring instead and both A and B are destroyed?

I just think that its 2015, technology, PC specs have increased beyond the 32k - why the shit is these you can talk, fight or go around the only sort of choices?

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
In F1/2 i would "discover" a town (yes, those first couple of times, prior to learning where they all were), and i would be spending a lot of time traversing it, learning its ins and outs, cheesing the saves so i could try out various (dumb) actions or manipulate my surroundings. I would do so minus impending dooms or events that auto-triggered the second i entered, forcing me once more to go all linear about everything. While those too did exist, yes, they did not apply themselves everywhere, and if i may say so, they sure did present themselves as more original. Precisely due to their lack of frequency, unlike in WL2. None of that here, not to an extent that justifies any resemblance.
And most of all, which is why i mentioned 'indifference', those areas, unlike the ones in W2, all seemed as if they had been going on without me, and could have continued to go on without me, forever. They had a life of their own. More to it, they all had a distinct flavour that derived from their very occupants and/or mini-locations. Not one that came to be due to my input. Afterwards.

Yeah, with feeling when your PC gets out from Arroyo - there is a huge world with habitants that live its own live and your're just passing by. You can intervene or not, it doesn't care.

WL2 is still a good game. I'm waiting for this "director's cut" update to start my walkthrough.

:bounce: Finally. Hopefully they are quite finished adding new things to the game so I can start playing already. As with Original Sin, I've been waiting for the 'real' version.

Gicusan

Educated
Good. I enjoyed Wasteland 2 and I want to do one more run. Of the big 3, I liked it much more than PoE and almost as much as Divinity. It is fun and with Director's Cut it will only get better. I just hope they wont put some console UI in our face.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom