Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

randir14

Augur
Was super psyched for playing this and the few esrly access builds I played were fun... But the. The modders gonna mod sindrome hit and the developers started fucking arround with things which were prefectly fine; instead if tweaking the sanity systems to make them more of a risk reward scenario like the early builds they vame out with their "innovative" heart attack retardness and their corpse system.... Just why would they add that sort of thing to a combat system which is supposed to be strategic yer fun was simply beyond me and honestly gave me little desire to see the game till it is finished but now I have little to no expectations about it

You can turn off heart attacks and corpses in the options menu

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah and you can turn down the quest markers in Skyrim; that will change the game balance bu the fact they are there abd it shows what little faith they have on their design that a feature disliked by most players is staying just because

Gord

Arcane
Doubt it's "most players", most players probably don't care much.
Also, wouldn't it theoretically mean that they do have faith in their design if they keep a feature even when many of their players dislike it? :M
But anyway it shows another one of their problems: Trying to cater to different groups of players (hardcore, casual and inbetween) with basically just one difficulty setting.

Yeah and you can turn down the quest markers in Skyrim; that will change the game balance bu the fact they are there abd it shows what little faith they have on their design that a feature disliked by most players is staying just because
How are the two comparable? One option makes the game more difficult (removing quest markers), one makes it easier (no corpses/heart attacks).

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Doubt it's "most players", most players probably don't care much.
Also, wouldn't it theoretically mean that they do have faith in their design if they keep a feature even when many of their players dislike it? :M
But anyway it shows another one of their problems: Trying to cater to different groups of players (hardcore, casual and inbetween) with basically just one difficulty setting.
Exactly, I honestly like grindy Roguelikes but I cabt see this beign such a big hit with the console crowd especially since the previews make it look like the older Final Fantasy games with an insanity metter on top

Lios

Cipher
I love Darkest Dungeon because I suck at it.
Grinding heroes in lower levels is an eulogy for me, then I have like 15 level 3 heroes that get wiped out slowly in subsequent runs by some giant with a tree as a weapon and an old lady that fucks up your stress levels- and i LOVE it.

I'm not a bright guy when it comes to mechanics, but I generally agree with PopeAmole and Gord, that the game needs more variation of tactics and whatnot.

It's still a great 30-hour way to vent frustration or nearly smash the screen because fuck those enemies' criticals out of their ass.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Made a steamguide for it. Probably should've done it in summer - dunno why I didn't. Well, whatever.

The first chapter initially contained "racial hatred" instead of just "hatred", btw. In the end I've edited it because people just don't get jokes anymore and I don't want this load of work deleted because of some bleeding heart admin.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Made a steamguide for it. Probably should've done it in summer - dunno why I didn't. Well, whatever.

The first chapter initially contained "racial hatred" instead of just "hatred", btw. In the end I've edited it because people just don't get jokes anymore and I don't want this load of work deleted because of some bleeding heart admin.
Quick search still shows the phrase "racial hatred" a couple times in the text. Just a heads up.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
On a completely off-topic note, you don't happen to know by any chance, of Renowned Explorers and Curious Expeditions - who ripped off who and which is the better game?

I doubt there was any sort of ripping of - late 19th century travels/treasure hunts is, like, and adventure subjenre of its own. Jules Verne, etc. It's strange that it wasn't that deeply gameified before, but then, it's not like it has huge following atm. So, looking at the dates of development start, that was probably a parallel evolution.

In terms of who's better - haven't played Expeditions. But Explorers are released atm (and they are a pretty good 20-30 hours game) whereas Expeditions are still in early access. So, if you want something here and now, Explorers are probably a better choice. On the other hand, Expeditions seem to be more serious take on the genre, whereas Explorers have a cutey-cutey atmosphere. I guess that can be a disappointing factor to some players.

Eyeball

Arcane
Explorers is a good game, actually. It's easily the most enjoyable roguelike I've played in ages and is pretty punishing as well in that a single boneheaded move can result in TPK.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Explorers is a good game, actually. It's easily the most enjoyable roguelike I've played in ages and is pretty punishing as well in that a single boneheaded move can result in TPK.
Brutal I'd say. I somehow managed to lose all rolls on the fort map, ran out of supplies and, naturally, got my ass handed to me by the boss.

Gonna try again with a different crew.

Eyeball

Arcane
Hungarian fort is one of the easier expeditions, actually - just for God's sake, don't punch the boss.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The game has a release date.
Darkest Dungeon Full Release Date: January 19, 2016!

Hello backers!

It's been a busy couple of months, culminating in the Cove release which we hope you have all been enjoying!

This community has grown beyond our expectations, and we're both grateful and humbled by your support, ideas, critiques, and feedback throughout this past year.

From the moment we launched early access back in February, we had two important priorities: regularly deliver exciting, meaty updates to the game, and ship the full release this year. We recognized that October would not only be an awesome thematic fit for the full release, but it was early enough in the year to avoid getting swept away by the massive AAA releases around Thanksgiving.

As many of you know, game development has a great many dependencies and variables. Between PAX's, Coves, & corpses, it became clear that an October date would mean rushing our endgame content out the door - a move that would ultimately not be in anyone's best interest. So, we looked at the December 1st timeframe - it would be tight, but with a few lucky bounces and a whole lot of focus, it was doable. A Death Star trench run with Obiwan gently whispering in our ears.

Unfortunately, late last week Chris' father-in-law passed away suddenly. Given our small team size, events such as these have a measurable effect on development. If anyone is out of action, it means delays because each person's job is highly specialized.

As a result, we have set January 19th as our Official Launch Day.

In keeping with our commitment to regular content updates, we'll be dropping an interim patch towards the end of November that introduces a new playable hero: The Abomination! Designed in collaboration with our Lord tier Kickstarter backer, this bloodthirsty class is unlike anything currently in the game. Keep your eyes peeled for the full reveal in the coming weeks! This update will also include two decidedly unsettling backer-designed monsters, as well as some other 'goodies'! You can also expect continued hotfixes as necessary.

As always, a very sincere thanks to all of you who have supported this game from the beginning and made the game and the community something special. We are truly on the home stretch, and we are incredibly excited to bring this game to completion...and beyond!

--The Darkest Dungeon Team
A) We're always here: backersupport@redhookgames.com

0d9371b159e239b9f3669baa813f813e_original.jpg

Darkest Dungeon - Coming Jan 19 2016

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got this on sale recently. The atmosphere and narration are great. Gameplay is not bad. And not that hard either. It gets repetitive, but for €10, I'm happy with the playtime I got and will definitely play again when it's finished.

Gord

Arcane
In a recent forum post they said that they intend to improve the gameplay scope a bit till release.
Hope that means it will reduce grinding and repetition a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom