Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Weasel
3D Portraits achieved - $1,553k incl paypal

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As soon as I heard that 3D portrait option, I immediately thought of the horrible NWN2 portraits. I am going to hope HBS knows what they are doing.

Konflyto

Novice
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's just a gimmick (3D portraits), but the "open world" after campaign is what brought me to fund it.
Heeere goes the hype train again!
:hype:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1374547

d7b0cc141002518902d693b3aaa67e1d_original.jpg

Plus merchandizing stuff.

lurker3000

Arcane
Just realized its only 300K to the good stuff. For some reason I was thinking it was going to take like another 750K. Feeling much better about them reaching it and its stage goals now.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
HEY HBS!

I suspect that on rare ocasions we could land a lucky shot and disable an enemy battlemech and then we could capture it.
Instead of selling them broken or fully repaired, would it be possible that after this lengthy & costly restore, these battlemechs could form other lances that could be sent on missions for additional income? (something like in Metal Gear Solid 5- Dispatch Missions). These missions could be of different degrees of difficulty with high chances of loosing mechs if the opposing force is strong. It would be also a cool mechanic to level up additional mechwarriors to use when needed for rotation.
Can this become a stretch goal?
Thank you

wasn't something like this was announced in a livestream?

Baron

Arcane
One of my favourite words in the dialects of the inner sphere is Salvage.

Mechwarrior_14.png

In Mechwarrior (1989) I always enjoyed the choice of whether to take out their leg (or head) of an enemy mech as to leave as much untouched for sweet, sweet salvage. Or to frantically hammer the keyboard and launch every weapon known to man then shutdown from excessive heat and sit paralyzed for a terrifying minute as the smoke cleared and I realize that the enemy BattleMaster is still standing.

Please let Salvage be tied to a skill, and make me forego Piloting and Gunnery skills to obtain it. Autoduel had a salvage skill and you'd be trying to strip parts from a defeated car out on some lost highway, nervously hoping some enemy didn't come by whilst you were vulnerable. I was disappointed that Mad Max (which I enjoyed, because shotgunning albinos during drive-bys in the Australian wastes is pleasing) didn't capture this vulnerability, or any satisfaction of salvaging cars. Not only were you picking up a set number of tokens that were worth a pitance, you were only forced outside the safety of your car for a moment, enemy cars WOULD ALWAYS come by, and they'd plough into you with a bull-bar and you'd just get up and shake yourself off. Where's the risk versus reward? Where's the reduced salvage exploding a car with a thunderpoon, as opposed to more surgically shooting off a tyre or harpooning the driver from the seat?

Sure, they're vastly different games. But salvage is a mechanism that should be better used. After the smoke of the battlefield clears, I want to glance at a SPACE RADAR and make an executive decision. We're a small mercenary company. They have orbital platforms and a fleet of dropships. In exactly three turns of stripping mechs down and plundering smoking bases we are getting the fuck out of here.

lurker3000

Arcane
Like I said before they really have not talked a lot about what mechanics they plan on incorporating. Maybe they are waiting to see if they get to the next stage and have a better understanding of the scope of the game.

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
wasn't something like this was announced in a livestream?

Salvaging has been stated to be a core concept in the ability of your merc unit to sustain itself. Not many details.

Having more than one lance on different planets or battlefields was mentioned as being part of one of the extended campaign mini-goals.

Both of these I believe were brought up in one of streams.

Renegen

Arcane
Yet another Harebrained mercenary game, yawn. I hope the combat is more complex since it will be on its 4th iteration...

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
eve_portraits.jpg

if they'll use the MWO 3D models, I say also "steal" the tech behind EVE Online custom portraits and concentrate on intricate game mechanics and balance.

Last edited:
Weasel
Someone said >>>On Something Awful forums there is a rather amusing thread called "Lets All Play Battletech and rewrite Inner Sphere history", which as the name suggest is a collaborative Battletech campaign involving alternative continuity where Clans arrived early. I was wondering if anyone on Battletech team has seen said thread (I know Mr. Ledoux stumbled upon it in the past, that got me thinking), and if so what do they think of it.<<<
(HBS): Our designers have been reading it and one been reading it on and off for about a year and a half. He thinks it's a fantastic thread full of interesting mission ideas, ad-hoc rules and mechanics, and BattleTech flavor.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329

Something decent on something awful

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This campaign is more BT4 than BT4
Not really and inXile could actually take a page from HBS's book for their next KS.

I advocated reasonably high KS goals myself but I admit that I was wrong. It's all about psychology. If you make $1m with a $900k goal the public perceives it as a nearly failed campaing, if you make $1m with a $100k goal, everyone thinks you've gloriously succeeded. Staged funding is also a great trick - revealing "stretch" goals little by little keeps the audience hyped and you get more news coverage without much effort.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sure you know that's not what I was talking about.

(btw this campaign isn't really getting much news coverage at all, good thing it doesn't seem to need it)

lurker3000

Arcane
(btw this campaign isn't really getting much news coverage at all, good thing it doesn't seem to need it)

Well it still has over 3 weeks to go. Maybe when they actually start talking about the game in their updates they will get more publicity.

Weasel

One of the backers put together this list of links and it doesn't seem to be doing too badly, actually:

https://morashtak.wordpress.com/2015/10/05/battletech-link-list-resources-for-mech-heads/

News and Gaming Site Announcements and Posts

Doesn't have the Codex on his list though :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
One of the backers put together this list of links and it doesn't seem to be doing too badly, actually:

https://morashtak.wordpress.com/2015/10/05/battletech-link-list-resources-for-mech-heads/

News and Gaming Site Announcements and Posts

Doesn't have the Codex on his list though :M

Yeah, I meant after the initial announcement that the campaign had launched. Back in the day, Kickstarters could count on being mentioned multiple times throughout their campaigns. That's much harder to do nowadays.

Cassar

Savant
Yeah, I meant after the initial announcement that the campaign had launched. Back in the day, Kickstarters could count on being mentioned multiple times throughout their campaigns. That's much harder to do nowadays.

I mean, unless it's some cinematic 3rd person action game made in japan and coming on consoles ... This one even has bringing mechs back to PC on it's banner. So the obligatory "will it come to consoles" question from mainstream journos is shot down before it even leaves their lips. This is not stuff that get mainstream sites clicks from couch lovers. It's gaylo 5 or smth like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom