Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has this company ever made a single good game?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Maybe you're a fat chick equivalent. I'm hot af, click Like and comment below.

Beastro

Arcane
A lot of that stuff is just nitpicking. You could make the same sort of criticisms about Fallout, or really any work of speculative fiction. Including hard science fiction likes the works of Michael Crichton.

Their universal attractiveness is spurred by the fact they exude a pheromone (which is the real source of all attraction, not physical qualities) that affects any biological organism. Probably a contribution of the Protheans.

Because things like facial symmetry and psychological attraction to those that look similar to you don't exist....

Also note, while pheromones exist with regard to many animals, human aren't one and despite repeated scientific searching human pheromones have never been detected nor do ones from other sources presented to a person do anything.

People are very visual creatures and it's no coincidence that we focus vision signs of desirability (along with mental ones, conscious and unconscious befitting our intelligence) while the smelling business is left to other beings that can detect cancer from a whiff or use it as their primary means on communication.

As for it being nitpicking and using Fallout as an example - you're talking about a setting that was made to be ape over the top perceptions of science from the 50s, shit like super mutants and radscorps are in keeping with that. ME tries to play too many angles, and in typical Bioware fashion, tries to come off being mature while reeking of a juvenile view of things.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BG1 - I loved it at the time and it really got me into the new age of CRPGs. But, now, find it blaisse.

BG2 - One of the best games ever. It has no weak spot.

NWN - The only TRUE RPG ever to be featured on PC or console

DA1 - A wannabe BG2 that has better overall roleplaying but faills short otherwise

DA2 - Underrated. The ending sequence could be better, though. And, falling spawned enemies is lame.

DA3 - The MMO aspects stopped me after 30ish hours ruining an otherwise solid experience.

KOTOR - Fun but overrated. BIO's worst combat ever.

JE - Good game.

ME1 - A superior version of KOTOR without stupid SW.

ME2 - Best ending sequence ever in a game.

ME3 - I just ran out of game. Nothing completely wrong with it but I could not finish it. Only it and DA3 are BIO games that I actually tried to play that I couldn't finish. Does not bode well for future... :(

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
BG1 - it's ok.
BG2 - good game.
NWN - despite shitty SP campaign, it's probably the best game by Bio.
DA1 - ranges from mediocre to banal shit boring.
DA2 - godawful shovelware.
DA3 - meh.
ME1 - fun game with a nice sci-fi flavor.
ME2 - still fun but retardoed in the story department by Mac Walters.
ME3 - godawful shovelware. Possibly the worst endgame in the history of AAA games.

pippin

Ok I can do this too.

BG1 - Fun.
BG2 - Just better. Easy enough for beginners and with enough complex content for seasoned players. Also, yay mods!
NWN - Mixed emotions. Replaying it feels bad, but it was THE thing to play when it came out. One of the last boxed games I had.
DA1 - Must admit I had fun with this, but I wouldn't defend it in any way.
DA2 - Never really played it. I lost my DAO save and my OCD commands me to import one.
DA3 - Saved the trial version into my Origin account but I don't think I'll ever play it...
ME1 - Clunky and boring especially in combat, but it had somewhat nice lore and ideas.
ME2 - Better, although it was streamlined. Companions matter, which is something I appreciate.
ME3 - Never played it with the original ending, so I didn't experienced the same kind of dissapointent, but you can tell everything is going to shit along the way. A shame, I liked Tuchanka.
KOTOR - The little time I played it felt like just another Bioware game. I wasn't prepared for another Bio experience at the time. I do remember liking how people would recognize if you wore a Sith armor or not in the first couple of sections.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
BG1 - Dull as dishwater
BG2 - Really fun, improvement over the first game in almost every single way
KOTOR 1 - Remember it blew my mind when I was younger, but now I just think it's an utterly middle-of-the-road, baby's first RPG. It's not bad, but it's not particularly amazing either.
DA1 - Same as KOTOR: safe, generic, middle-of-the-road fantasy RPG. Bioware probably thought at the time that the inclusion of sex and violence would set it apart from other RPGs, but the boom in popularity of 'dark' fantasy like Game of Thrones just makes it look even more generic today.
DA2 - Fundamentally unfinished. Point where the character writing has identifiably tipped to cater to the tumblrtard audience. PRESS A BUTTON AND SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPENS.
DA3 - Only real word I can think of for it is 'lazy'. Everything about it feels lazily implemented. The open areas are dull, combat is boring, the story wastes all the potential it has, all the sidequests are just embarrassingly poorly executed. At least the characters aren't written as glorified blow-up dolls for the protagonist to fuck anymore.
ME1 - Decent Star Trek esque game. Bit dull at certain points, but had a fun time with it.
ME2 - Better gameplay, but definitely the point where Bioware begun its descent into appealing to popamole consoletards.
ME3 - I've honestly forgotten most of it, but I do remember it being disappointing. Think I was more angry at the time with how journos were accusing the playerbase of being 'entitled' for not liking how half-assed the ending was, than the actual ending itself. Make no mistake though, the finale is shit.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I think the Aurora toolset for Neverwinter Nights was BioWare at its best.

lurker3000

Arcane
BG1 - I still like this game if only because it builds to BG2.
BG2 - One of my favorite all-time games. Played this more than any other games besides Civ2/4.
NWN - Soooooooo boring. Never finished the main game. I have the diamond edition on gog that I have not once installed.
KoToR - Fun game. Finished it a few times over the years. Not a lot of good SW games out there so I play this and KOTOR2 back to back.
JE - Enjoyed this game because it was something different. Linear as hell but its always fun to kick people in the head.
ME1 - Don't care what anyone says this game is good solid fun. Also Garrus is a bro no mater how hard Gaider (or whoever) tried to turn him into a faggot towards the end of the series.
ME2 - This game is shit.
ME3 - Better than 2 but lacks urgency. The people of Earth are being processed and you're dicking around the galaxy? And its always awesome when the antagonist is revealed in the last 2 minutes of a 3 part trilogy that last over 120 hours. Fuck you Citadel kid. Also this is the only game I've 'demoed' and not bought later on steam.
DA1 - The problem was that they said this would be the successor to BG2 and that's what I hoped for. It wasn't. Good for what it was I suppose. Also that first guy you could recruit was sort of funny and I always liked my dog.
DA2 - The single gayest game I've ever played. And by gay I mean literally every character was gay and wanted to fuck me in the ass. I've never had to protect my sphincter in a game before and it was a disquieting experience.
DA3 - Nope.

Anyway going forward the ME universe has a lot of possibilities. I hope to god they make a Privateer type game but knowing bio it the next one will probably be about a sexual ambiguous transvestite saving the galaxy because he/she is the son of a god and drank the dragon's blood.

edit: Just read the posts above me in detail. How the fuck any of you think ME2 was better than ME1 is astounding. Everything about ME2 was streamlined for the console crowd. And that's after ME1 was streamlined!

ME1 > ME3 >> ME2 FFS!

Last edited:

Frozen

Arcane
BG1 - Magic, nostalgia incoming
BG2 - Still great but overrated.Not best RPG ever. Never got the fascination with Irenicus as a bad guy he was 2D.
NWN - Played little never finished
DA1 - Like it, had great potential for future-wasted
DA2 - Better than DA3, second worst Bio game. You can slough through it for the lolz playing as hot chick. Story is stupid and pointless- 3 ways that goes nowhere and then the credit rolls.
DA3 - Abomination, abortion, boring, shit, MMO...played 4h in multiple takes could not take it anymore for the life of me. The gameplay is utter I mean utter shit.
ME1 - Fun Kotor in a new setting
ME2 - Best Bio game because they where aware that they were making trash for the masses
ME3 - Had few moments, combat the best in series but overall poor story, too linear and the ending was retarded.
KOTOR - Had that magic atmosphere, really like it even if it was too much Disney
MEA, DA4- don't care to pirate

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
BG1 & BG2 (good for what they are), ME2 (fun), JE (undercooked but alright; if only the combat had been more fast-paced). Didn't I already reply to this thread?

lurker3000

Arcane
BG1 & BG2 (good for what they are), ME2 (fun), JE (undercooked but alright; if only the combat had been more fast-paced). Didn't I already reply to this thread?

You must have waned to come back to regale us with your ME2 love.

:shunthenonbeliever:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Its a nice shooter with some light rpg mechanics playing in an interesting setting. Its better than Mass Effect 1 because the shooter mechanics are better, and the leveldesign - while railroaded - fits better. It also has a nice ending and some good cnc (with the teammates dieing to random bullets because you didnt do their side missions being an exception). Still, its the best entry to the series.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
ME2's mind-numbing mining mini-game made me miss mutilating myself.

pippin

The mining minigame was atrocious, and sadly the ME series never got the space exploration right. However, that was never their goal, or at least I think so...

Tabs

Novice
Really too bad Bioware hasn't done anything more with the Jade Empire IP. Was a fairly interesting original setting, even if the game was a bit button-mash-y.

purpleblob

Savant
BG1 - It's ok, more fun when you roll entire party
BG2 - Best cRPG ever
NWN - OC sucked, same with SoU, but HotU was good
DA1 - Fun for first playthrough, not much replayability
DA2 - Garbage
DA3 - Garbage
ME1 - Liked lore/story etc
ME2 - Fun, enjoyed a lot more than DA1, but very little replayability
ME3 - Worst in series so far (imo)
KOTOR - NWN in SW setting, so, crap
JE - Hated it
MEA, DA4- don't care, not going to buy/play

Fargus

Arcane
Baldurs Gate 1-2 - fucking classics. Nothing more to add.

NWN - shitty original campaign, but great platform for user mods thanks to aurora toolset. Had a lot of fun with mods.

DAO is nice for couple playthroughs.

Mass Effect games are good way to waste some time... If you're into alien date sims. I hate the main character though because i had to listen to his voice all the time.

The rest is shit.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I was being sarcastic; and enjoyed Fallout's combat more overall despite its quirks and frustrating shortcomings. Turn-based means I can forgive a lot.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Dont be fooled so easily. Its a mindnumbing boring clickfest with almost zero challenge besides hoping every turn that your companions suicide slow enough for you to shoot everyone between the eyes.

The combat system of almost any game is aeons beyond that. To even compare it to the encounter masterpiece that is Baldurs Gate 2 speaks volumes about the insanity that the codex has slipped into due to long term exposure to decline.

Both Fallouts are deeply flawed games. But they are deeply flawed games that evolved the fucking industry, so we love them for it. And love makes blind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom