Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite Easter Eggs In Games?

tardtastic

Scholar
Of course a lot are just throwaway rubbish, don't count for anything, but sometimes, in some otherwise well-produced games, they're so novel or unexpected that they become memorable features of the games themselves.

In that regard, my favorite ever was the TARDIS in Fallout. Brilliant, loved it.

Yours?

NiM82

Prophet
Dopefish excluded, probably the portal in F2 that let's you go back in time and break the water chip.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I'll never forget when I met Ian in Vault City (i suppose it was him) - I was speechless :)
Well.. maybe it's not an easter egg but neither something normal...

Zomg

Arbiter
I dunno what is obscure enough to qualify as an easter egg in a Roguelike, but I think the potion of uselessness trick in ADOM is pretty funny.

Redeye

Arcane
My favorite is in Fallout 2.

If you take the flower pot from the "Crashed whale" special encounter and give it to Algernon in New Reno, he eats them and is cured of his mental retardation.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
THE "EASTER EGG" EASTER EGG IN FALLOUT 2 OH MY GOD IT IS HAIRLAIRIOUS

Globbi

Augur
Zomg said:
I dunno what is obscure enough to qualify as an easter egg in a Roguelike, but I think the potion of uselessness trick in ADOM is pretty funny.
The IBM manual which gaves pemament confusion is a way better easter egg in ADOM.

I liked the riders of apocalypse in Fallout: Tactics. It was usless and not too interesting but I found it funny.

Texas Red

Whiner
Only thing which comes to mind right now is the Morte easter egg in Fallout: Tactics where you encounter them in a wasteland. Specifically when he says something like "...with a berk whose sole vocabulary is 'can I ask you a few questions?'"

And oh, In bloodlines in the Internet Cafe there is written "AWP whore" above one of the computers.

Roofles :).

tardtastic

Scholar
of course none of these can compare to "bobble heads" but i guess the tech just was too primitive at the time

Destroid

Arcane
Those "bobble heads" arn't even easter eggs, how can they be, when we know about them in advance?

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The sixth sense encounter in FO: Tactics.

Cole the brahmin says: "I see dead brahmin" and there's a bunch of white brahmin wandering around...

P.S. I didn't know you can give the flower pot to Algernon, cool! I always thought that was a useless encounter.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Advertisement for RoA 1 in RoA 2. That was so cheesy and sad that it was good again. And the pinup in RoA 3 you can only see with a drunken dwarf. Pity it was a woman.

Also, the secret Ultima 7-2 intro (Thy face is most muppet-like!) and the pirate in Ultima 7-2.

fastpunk

Arbiter
The Abraham Lincoln thing from Unreal II. Lincoln's alive! :lol:

edit: Can the hidden credits from FO and FO2 be considered easter eggs? I had a few laughs reading them.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Speaking of Unreal, there's this hilarious Toilet Car in UT2004. <a href="http://www.unreal.fr/news/ut2004_easter_egg_20040317.jpg">See</a> for yourself. And there's a cool easter egg in UT but some of you probably know it already. It's on the map DM-Codex, there's a hidden room with <a href="http://home.arcor.de/ursula/codex2.jpg">this</a> picture in it. Pretty fly... :lol:

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
splintercellvshalflife.jpg

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I liked the ones in Duke Nukem 3D, like the Doom Space Marine and Indiana Jones. Blood was full of references to other games or movies.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Fisher fights the coming apocalypse. Gordon fights the apocalypse that already came. You tell me who's more hardcore.

Fisher hides in the shadows and avoids fights. Gordon strides into the sunlight and pushes back the horde. You tell me who's more hardcore.

Fisher had military training and can't even hold his gun steady when walks. Gordon trained himself and feels no recoil from a .45 while sprinting. You tell me who's more hardcore.

If Fisher dies, only 10 people know, and someone else fills his place. If Gordon dies, humanity mourns, and our race is no more. You tell me who's more hardcore.

Fisher lost his daughter and cried like a baby for a year. Gordon lost almost everyone he knew and never shed a tear. You tell me who's more hardcore.

Fisher can only take a few bullets to the chest without dying. Gordon can take ten balls of plasma to the face and keep on running. You tell me who's more hardcore.

Fisher may be king, but Gordon is the One Free Man. Hardcore baby, hardcore.

Riso

Arcane
Only when it's actually shown. Else it's just implied and therefore softcore.

Section8

Cipher
The only thing good about Fisher is his voice. Aside from that, every video game character ever could beat him by just watching the linear bottleneck paths he constantly walks down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom