Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Complete S.T.A.L.K.E.R. re-texturing. It looks amazing.

JoeDirt

Scholar
It's a complete re-texturing of the game that changes the look and feel of it into something in-between a black-and-white graphic novel with brilliant splashes of vibrant color and a nightmarish winter wonderland.

Note that AFAIK, since I haven't actually played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with this mod installed, it is only a graphical re-texturing project and it doesn't alter gameplay. There are many, many other mods that do that.

Without further ado, here are some screenshots of what the game looks like with this mod installed. Most of the people that like it describe an unparalleled sense of ambiance and atmosphere:

uploadns07.jpg

uploadns05.jpg

upload03.jpg

uploadns06.jpg

uploadns08.jpg

uploadns01.jpg

Simply put, it looks beautiful.

Here's a torrent link to the mod: http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3764139/S.T.A.L.K.E.R._-_Nuclear_Snow_[mod]_-_Reseed. Here's a more "official" download link: File Front.

Here are some more screenshots that I found that show what the mod looks like without Dynamic Lighting, i.e. Bloom. I think it looks even better! Grittier and... artier? Anyway, here they are:

staticupload01.jpg

staticupload02.jpg

staticupload03.jpg

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
That's looks pretty fucking amazing. I'll probably give it a go once the 1.4 patch (or whatever it ends up being) comes out with the freeplay whatsit. I've been waiting to play through it again until then.

OT: Why don't more games use effects like this for night environments? After all mimicing the effects of the human eye does seem to be all the rage nowadays. That looks more convincingly like being out at night than most efforts I've seen.

JoeDirt

Scholar
Here are some more snapshots, without any particular order or explanation. Talk about atmosphere and gloom... I found exploring dungeons in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. one of the better creepfests in any FPS game I'd ever played, and just looking at this shot of the black-and-white doorway illuminated by the flashlight fills me with dread.

uploadns04.jpg

uploadns03.jpg

JoeDirt

Scholar
Here's what the author says about the process:

HOW THIS RESULT WAS ACHIEVED:
Several tests were made before I came up with a somewhat good result. What I had
to do was to change many textures, sky, ground, foliage and actors to be able to
see how the result might end up, so before making the final overhaul, there were
plenty of hours photoshoping and batchrunning.
The final retexturing took me several days, mostly because of the different settings
for every texture to not loose alphachannels and to get a good result on the image -
amongst the other textures.
So, when I ended up with my favorite result, I recorded it in Photoshop as a macro
and then ran it on a couple of files at the time, mostly the same group of textures,
just to not loose track of where I was editing. To be able to edit and save into
Stalker's textureformat I used Nvidias DDS-plugins for Photoshop.
After that, the fun part took place, I started editing some images, like blood, artifacts
and some other textures, to achieve the strong contrast in a gamescene. Then some shaderediting
and lightcolorchanges in the engine took place, and finally it ended up with this result.
Some time was also spent on looking for the grasstexture, which GSC has hidden well, thank
you nokturnal over at oblivion-lost.de's forum for pointing them

Starwars

Arcane
It looks really nice, and I'll probably try it out whenever I happen to reinstall STALKER. However, since I'm a weakling at heart, it will probably scare the shit out of me even more than vanilla STALKER does.

Have there been any other good mods for STALKER? I assume the singleplayer construction set hasn't been released yet?

cutterjohn

Cipher
Face it. Stalker retext does nothing more than Oblivious retext, but at least Stalker looked better to begin with.

Frankly, the retext looks no better to me than did the original..

MetalCraze

Arcane
the 1.4 patch (or whatever it ends up being) comes out with the freeplay whatsit. I've been waiting to play through it again until then.

except for completing the "storyline" there's nothing to do. Well if not counting all those FedEx quests. And now imagine if a "storyline" mode is stripped from there. What will you do?

fastpunk

Arbiter
I'm not sure I like it too much, it looks too grainy. The immediate sensation is WOW! but I think it can get a bit stressful for the eyes after a while.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Interesting screen shots, but looks like it would be a fucking pain in the ass to play.

It was pretty close already.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
That looks very nice, I must admit.

This game is simply begging for a mod SDK... It has so much potential that can be unleashed only by allowing the users to add numerous features to the game.

denizsi

Arcane
Images are dead. Do not use photobucket or other massively popular image hosting sites like imageshack or what have you for fuck's sake; they go down damn fast!

barzam

Novice
Check that piratebay link in the OP, there are some screens there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom