Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best of the New Shit?

Ladonna

Arcane
Hey guys,

I haven't been bothered delving into any new CRPGs for the past 5 years, apart from Blackguards 1 (finished, not bad) and Madman (almost finished, I think...). Rest of the time has been with real life.

Now I am wondering whether anything is worth taking the plunge over. So, if it came out in the last 5 years, and is a worthy CRPG, please jot down something pointing out why you believe it is awesome (or even Good For What It Is). And if something well and truly sucks, I don't mind if you point that out too so I can avoid.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Worth a shot:

Age of Decadence
Wasteland 2 DC
Divinity: Original Sin (you might want to wait for the enhanced edition to release, though)
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun:
  • Returns
  • Dragonfall Director's Cut
  • Hong Kong
Might and Magic X: Legacy

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey guys,

I haven't been bothered delving into any new CRPGs for the past 5 years, apart from Blackguards 1 (finished, not bad) and Madman (almost finished, I think...). Rest of the time has been with real life.

Now I am wondering whether anything is worth taking the plunge over. So, if it came out in the last 5 years, and is a worthy CRPG, please jot down something pointing out why you believe it is awesome (or even Good For What It Is). And if something well and truly sucks, I don't mind if you point that out too so I can avoid.

What sort of RPGs do you like?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Neo Scavenger.
More a roguelike game with inconsistencies between choose your own adventure bits and rest of gameplay, but it is good survival game in post-apocalypse setting.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
If you're into roguelikes, try ADOM again. It's no longer abandoned, and the new version is brutal, addicting, and fun as ever. Now with graphics!

P7BNFhv.png

Don't touch Dungeon Crawl, though. They pretty much threw away everything that made this game fun. Now it's Casul Crawl, and even my grandma can make a 15-rune run, despite the fact that she's dead.

Eyeball

Arcane
Underrail and Battle Brothers are both in EA at the moment and are even as such better than any other game recently released.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have no idea what you like or despise, but if you liked Blackguards (or, at least, you didn't hate it), I'd say Shadowrun: Dragonfall or Divinity: Original Sin would be good choices. Dragonfall is one of the few RPG where I enjoy reading what people are saying (the setting is, I think, excellent), and combat is interesting, not spectacular perhaps, but it's engaging. Also, it has an amazing start and you won't be grinding for hours doing silly subquests, so if you don't have much time on your hands that would be an ideal choice.

D:OS is.. uh... I don't know how to describe it, never been able to finish the game (I still believe it is a great game, but not one for me), but many people love it. I'll let others describe its virtues and features.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Legend of Grimrock 2, if you don't hate RT blobbers. It's basically an explorefag's wet dream: semi-open world with lots of puzzles and secrets and athmosphere in spades.
Heroine's Quest is a QfG-clone that manages to capture everything that made QfG great and add some improvements on top of it. It's also free so you don't have anything to loose.

Ladonna

Arcane
What have I really enjoyed in the past?

From the start; Bards Tale series, Ultima IV and V (I liked the later games, just not as much. The earlier ones were meh), Dungeon Master, Gold Box games, Space Rogue, Wasteland, Phantasie series, Magic Candle, Dragon Wars...ok this will be a bit too long. I will move forward in time.

Fallout 1 and 2, Arcanum, Witcher 1, Vampire Bloodlines, Knights of the Chalice...um...there are others, like various bioware games that I didn't mind such as Baldurs Gate, the star wars games, Jeff Vogel games, etc, but they were not at the top of my pile. There hasn't been much in the CRPG area for the last 10 years that I have been really interested in, just those few I named.

V_K

Arcane
Ah, I forgot Lords of Xulima - great level design, mechanics and athmosphere, even though writing is somewhat weak (but there's not much of it anyway). A combination of isometric exploration and TB blobber combat may feel weird at first, but you get used to it. Also, a rare case among modern games: it gives you a party of 6, only one of which is pre-generated.

Didn't Fallout: New Vegas come out in the last 5 years or so? Check the recent modding threads for it here, install those mods, and it will probably be the best recent cRPG you can play.

Ladonna

Arcane
I did play and finish Legend of Grimrock 1. It was good, but I enjoyed some of the old blobbers more. Is 2 much improved?

Divinity OS. Yes, I have been meaning to try this one out, but Good old Games haven't had it for sale when I bothered checking. Consider that on my list.

The Shadowrun games are on my list as well, though Hong Kong sounded a bit pale from the comments I have read here and elsewhere.

Age of Decadence; This has been on my list for a long time now.

Labyrinth of Touhou 2

u3vz.png

Are you kidding me?

Underrail and Battle Brothers are on my check out list, but I don't play games until they are finished.

What other games are there? What about that Serpent in the Staglands? Surely I must be missing a few.

Ladonna

Arcane
I haven't played Fallout new vegas because I am a sworn enemy of Steam. No steam games have graced my PC. When it appears on one of the other sites (non DRM) then I will snap it up.

DramaticPopcorn

What about that Serpent in the Staglands?
Yeah I still don't see a review for this game.

People were raving about the game pre-release but once it got released, it stopped being mentioned around for whatever reason.

Darth Roxor get to reviewing you hack fraud!

V_K

Arcane
I did play and finish Legend of Grimrock 1. It was good, but I enjoyed some of the old blobbers more. Is 2 much improved?
A ton. It has a much more robust and flexible character system than the first one and the enemies are more diverse and have tricks to counter your combat mambo. Also the gameworld structure is much more non-linear. Magic remains somewhat underwhelming though.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The Witcher 3
Might and Magic X: Legacy

Those 2 were the only games good enough for me to beat.

AoD if you enjoy dialogue

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Seconding everything mentioned in the thread (D:OS and W2 are my favourite ones, on par with Blackguards).
I'd add :
- Elminage Gothic if you're looking for a slow paced Turn-based Blobber (the good dungeons don't come early).
- Telepath Tactics but it's rather a Strategy Game.

roshan

Arcane
Hey guys,

Very Good:
Serpent in the Staglands (Falloutesque open world game in a bronze age Romanian inspired setting, RTWP combat, puzzle heavy, grognard friendly)
Lords of Xulima (2D isometric world with blobber combat, story light, lots of exploration and puzzle dungeons)
Dragonfall (story focused, mission based, no filler combat, cyberpunk setting, decent CNC)
The Banner Saga (story focused, linear, tactical combat, CNC)
Invisible Inc (squad based, cyberpunk, stealth tactics game, emergent design, must try)

Good:
Antharion (relatively simple game, story light, focus on exploration, looting and dungeon delving)
Telepath Tactics (mission based, deterministic tactical combat game)

Decent:
Halfway (simple linear mission based squad tactics game)
Shadowrun Returns (decent plot, easy combat, mission based, story focused, cyberpunk setting, no CNC)

Complete and total shit:
Pillars of Shitternity (abomination, disgrace, IE "spiritual sequel" that draws heavily from MOBAs/MMORPGS, silly one trick pony setting, terrible world design, no thematic consistency, most likely the worst underlying systems ever created, retard friendly)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah I still don't see a review for this game.

People were raving about the game pre-release but once it got released, it stopped being mentioned around for whatever reason.

Darth Roxor get to reviewing you hack fraud!

here's my review: i'd rather jump off the roof than play it to completion to write a full review

SniperHF

Arcane
Your avatar is from AoD thus you should play that.

In lieu of making sense, go with Divinity Original Sin but wait till the 27th.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom