Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bethesda fires back! Massive casualties reported!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a hrfe=http://www.gameinformer.com>Game Informer</a> has released Pete Hines' video monologue, titled <a href=http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200709/N07.0917.0906.03641.htm>Bethesda fires back</a> and addressing the fans' reaction.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Since announcing that it would be taking the reins of one of the revered Fallout series, Bethesda has faced a barrage of feedback. Some saw the decision to move from isometric, turn-based gameplay to a more action-oriented, third-person game as an inevitable step. Technology has changed since Fallout debuted in 1997, so it stands to reason that a newer incarnation should take advantage of those advancements. Others in the fan community likened that move to blasphemy, saying that Bethesda had abandoned core components of the game. Worse, the company didn’t seem to have any idea what made the original such a classic—the humor, freedom and environments.
<br>
<br>
At the center of this debate is Bethesda’s Pete Hines, the company’s VP of PR and Marketing. We spoke to Hines about how the team handles such criticisms and what players can expect to see when Fallout 3 launches in 2008.</blockquote>I'm too lazy to write down what Pete said, so here is an overview:
<br>
<br>
The Fallout community is huge and it loves what we've shown them so far. Some assholes who are never happy will not like the game, but we don't really care because true Fallout fans, people who like played Fallout games 10 times love what we have. Some assholes like to bitch about anything and they complained even about Oblivion, which is a great game. Well, fuck 'em. Some people complained about too much humor in Fallout 3. Well, Fallout 3 is exactly like Fallout 1, so stop bitching already. And so on, and so on.
<br>
<br>

Deleted member 7219

VD has blown Pete's comments out of all proportion. What he said was basically the typical PR-speak, there's no unprofessionalism in so far as condemning the Fallout community or saying people who don't like Fallout 3 aren't true Fallout fans. That's not what he said at all. He didn't call us 'assholes', he didn't say 'fuck them' or anything like that. He actually said Bethesda is used to criticism and listens to it.

I may not like what the guy says but I do think it's wrong to twist it.

Regnskur

Novice
"I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike me down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards the Dark Side will be complete."

Redeye

Arcane
Regnskur said:
"I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike me down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards the Dark Side will be complete."

This isn't the Fallout 3 you're looking for.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Matt7895 said:
VD has blown Pete's comments out of all proportion.
His speech was boring. I added some pizzazz. He should be grateful.

What he said was basically the typical PR-speak, there's no unprofessionalism in so far as condemning the Fallout community or saying people who don't like Fallout 3 aren't true Fallout fans. That's not what he said at all.
I didn't claim that he was unprofessional. I didn't claim that he said that those who don't like the game aren't true Fallout fans. You've blown my comments out of all proportion and I'm initiating legal actions as we speak.

Deleted member 7219

Vault Dweller said:
I didn't claim that he was unprofessional.

Not in so many words.... take a look at what you wrote:

Some assholes who are never happy will not like the game, but we don't really care because true Fallout fans, people who like played Fallout games 10 times love what we have. Some assholes like to bitch about anything and they complained even about Oblivion, which is a great game. Well, fuck 'em. Some people complained about too much humor in Fallout 3. Well, Fallout 3 is exactly like Fallout 1, so stop bitching already

That is suggesting Pete used swears and slurs on the Fallout community in his video monologue, which in my view amounts to unprofessionalism.

I didn't claim that he said that those who don't like the game aren't true Fallout fans

Hmm... read what you wrote:

The Fallout community is huge and it loves what we've shown them so far..... because true Fallout fans, people who like played Fallout games 10 times love what we have

There you go.

You've blown my comments out of all proportion and I'm initiating legal actions as we speak.

PLANE TICKETS!!!!!1111 :p

dagorkan

Arbiter
I've just noticed that Pete has freakishly large nostrils. Coke habit?

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Matt7895 said:
That is suggesting Pete used swears and slurs on the Fallout community in his video monologue, which in my view amounts to unprofessionalism.

Fleeting expletives are unprofessional. Scripted swearing is very, very professional.

What is unprofessional for a PR guy is spewing forth boring bullshit with the word 'folks' repeated every 5 seconds to the point where you click on the stop button to prevent going mad.

pug987

Scholar
All this hype about Fallout 3, positive and negative, is getting rather tiresome. The game won't be out for another year or so. Will we have to listen to the Fallout fans bashing the game and the stupid statements made by Bethesda for a whole year?
Ok, they took God's gift to gamers and are turning it into the child of satan, we all know that by now. Unless it's something that will actually make us believe that the game won't be the disfigured child of a rad scorpion I'm not sure I wanna read any more fallout 3 news.

Just to be clear, I'm in no way critisizing the codex reporting Fallout 3 news. The almost complete lack of any decent rpgs in the near future makes all new tidbits about Fallout 3 something to talk about. And I understand why so many fallout fans don't like what bethesday is doing with the game. What I don't get is why Bethesda is picking a fight with them, the people who have most actively supported the franchise and who will be their future customers (after all you have to play a game to be able to critisize it effectively). However you see it, it's bad PR.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Matt7895 said:
Not in so many words.... take a look at what you wrote:

"Some assholes who are never happy will not like the game, but we don't really care because true Fallout fans, people who like played Fallout games 10 times love what we have. Some assholes like to bitch about anything and they complained even about Oblivion, which is a great game. Well, fuck 'em. Some people complained about too much humor in Fallout 3. Well, Fallout 3 is exactly like Fallout 1, so stop bitching already"

I clearly stated that it's not a transcript, but an overview.

You've blown my comments out of all proportion and I'm initiating legal actions as we speak.

PLANE TICKETS!!!!!1111 :p
Already in the mail.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Redeye said:
Regnskur said:

This isn't the Fallout 3 you're looking for.

Commander, tear this game apart until you find something that resembles an RPG! And bring me Pete Hines, I want him alive!

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
What about burnt by the flames of criticism? How about feeling left out in the rain? You need the four elements of abandonment here KC. Air, wind, fire, water combine to create the ultimate ronin FO enraged warrior! Go forth and destroy Bethesda with your flab of doomshadow +13.

Lemunde

Scholar
pug987 said:
All this hype about Fallout 3, positive and negative, is getting rather tiresome. The game won't be out for another year or so. Will we have to listen to the Fallout fans bashing the game and the stupid statements made by Bethesda for a whole year?
Ok, they took God's gift to gamers and are turning it into the child of satan, we all know that by now. Unless it's something that will actually make us believe that the game won't be the disfigured child of a rad scorpion I'm not sure I wanna read any more fallout 3 news.

Actually I find it rather refreshing that all the bitching and moaning has gone from Oblivion to FO3. It was starting to get a little stale.

stargelman

Scholar
pug987 said:
You know, technically you don't have to read all of that. Of course it would mean you're not a real Fallout fan!

pug987

Scholar
stargelman said:
pug987 said:
You know, technically you don't have to read all of that. Of course it would mean you're not a real Fallout fan!

Well, it was on the codex front page so I just had to read it. :P

By the way I find it strange how Bethesda claims that there is just a small part of the Fallout fans that don't like the way they are making Fallout 3 and that the biggest part is happy with it and can't wait for the game to be released. I wonder, do they also count random people who happen to come upon a fallout screenshot while serfing the web, probably not even knowing what it is, as fallout fans? Or do they count the Oblivion fanbase and all the fps fans who now become part of the fallout community just because Bethesda is making number 3? If they don't I really can't see how it's just a small part of the fallout fans that object to what they're doing with FO 3.

Kraszu

Prophet
pug987 said:
By the way I find it strange how Bethesda claims that there is just a small part of the Fallout fans that don't like the way they are making Fallout 3 and that the biggest part is happy with it and can't wait for the game to be released. I wonder, do they also count random people who happen to come upon a fallout screenshot while serfing the web, probably not even knowing what it is, as fallout fans?

It does not matter, it just sound better that most fans are happy whit changes, so he say that.

Koby

Scholar
Brother None said:
This Bethesda rhetoric sounds oddly familiar
Wtf?

GameSpy: Do you have to be mindful of the high fan expectations? Do you ever worry about disappointing the hardcore fans, because there is a hardcore Fallout community out there.

Chuck Cuevas: I don't think that will ever ... I have to word this carefully. I don't know that we'll ever be able to please the hardcore fans of an RPG with an action game.

He answered his own Q!!!

I need to start placing a daily limit on the stupidity I'm subjecting myself to, my poor sanity can't take much more of this.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Brother None said:
This Bethesda rhetoric sounds oddly familiar

I agree.
goebbels.jpg

Black

Arcane
As usual, oblivionites will believe that fpp and rt is new and gamers who have any idea of gaming history will call beth's talk bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom