Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HOMM 2 vs HOMM 3

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Orzie

Arbiter
Purple is not the main enemy, dude. Read the Victory Condition of the scenario properly.
You don't have to confront Purple at all (and moreover, you must not do it according to the in-game texts).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Purple is not the main enemy, dude. Read the Victory Condition of the scenario properly.
You don't have to confront Purple at all (and moreover, you must not do it according to the in-game texts).

VC is to capture Castle Visimir within one year.
I assumed that was the Undead capitol?
If it's the Barbarian capitol, then the scenario will be shorter and easier than I thought.

Orzie

Arbiter
Of course it's Barbarian's Capitol. The in-game texts actually tell you to avoid Necromancers from the very beginning.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Of course it's Barbarian's Capitol. The in-game texts actually tell you to avoid Necromancers from the very beginning.

It's rather ambigiously worded, and it doesn't mention who owns Visimir. The texts mention that "you will need more resources to build up an army big enough to attack the Death King". And later, "You now have time to form an invasion to take your homeland back!".
I guess that's for the sequel, then.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Alteris 1 was less epic than I had hoped. I had this vision of an all powerful Undead hero gobbling up hundreds of stacks of undead, before boarding a ship and coming my way.
Also, there was no showdown with the main enemy hero since he went south and on the last turn was about to land on the undead lands.
Summon Water Elemental became a key spell. With 34 in spell power and a Book of Elemental Summoning I was able to summon 240 or so with one spell. In the end I only used 17 Phoenixes and 15 Black Dragons to conquer the barbarians. I was gonna use Elemental Storm, but I forgot the Sorceress Babe hadn't visited the magic guild.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Right now I'm having fun playing HoMM3 SoD campaigns on Impossible. Crag Hack one is the most challenging so far. I was forced to restart 2nd and 3rd scenarios because of slow start biting me in the ass later, like the Undead hero trolling me with town portal, cover of darkness and stealing the victory condition artifact, making scenario unbeatable :argh:

Alex

Arcane
Necro town in H2 is absolutely retarded and I question the sanity of anyone who prefers it over the H3 Negropolis.

Thematically they threw everything and the kitchen sink in there. Colonial mansions mixed with medieval (?) skull-castle complete with moat, the pyramid of Khufu and a mage guild that wouldn't be out of place in HoMM3 Inferno. Not pictured is the dragon gazebo that ties everything together. The layout is also completely whack because the empty city is a bunch of fancy cobblestone roads going nowhere (because they didn't change the town background when you upgraded your city hall like in H3). This also highlights the bad perspective some of the buildings are drawn with, but I guess we finally know who ITS hired to draw AoD's world map.
(snip...)

Well, It reminds me a bit of the Xeen games, which is why I like it better.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Much as I love Heroes, I never really got good at it or won many maps or campaigns. I tend to lose interest after a while. But I did actually beat Alteris a year ago or so. Although to be honest, I already realised that you only had to defeat the Barbarians when I first played it aged 11 or so. In any case, I don't know if the Necromancers ever really try to hunt you down effectively. It just brings back childhood memories of going over maps like Alteris or Ghost Planet in the editor to check out all the cool stuff and the massive attention to detail.

blamzooie

Educated
Wow, the progress from the last time I checked in is amazing. You and the mod team are doing God's work.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Much as I love Heroes, I never really got good at it or won many maps or campaigns. I tend to lose interest after a while. But I did actually beat Alteris a year ago or so. Although to be honest, I already realised that you only had to defeat the Barbarians when I first played it aged 11 or so. In any case, I don't know if the Necromancers ever really try to hunt you down effectively.

The Necros are set to Patrol in both Alteris maps, I think. They won't bother you until you invade, so you have plenty of time to build up.
With no pressure, as well as a fucking Monty Haul of artefacts (so many that neither you or the AI have room for them all) and various sites, I quickly grew tired with Alteris 2 and abandoned it. And I complete most of the maps I start.
Alteris 1 was much better, since there was this nerve wracking tension about that huge Barbarian army, and wether it would invade your little island paradise or not.

Orzie

Arbiter
Well, let's give this thread a little longer life. :)

t1WDftG.png

Orzie

Arbiter
I suppose we actually can have Peasants with somewhat improved stats. While they were designed for Heroes 1 and were sometimes even useful in Heroes 1 gameplay with Heroes 1 battlefields, they were transfered to Heroes 2 without any correlation between battlefield size, magic system and other things. I assume we have a moral right to adjust any creature stats if necessary.

IMO they are utterly useless as they are, no redeeming qualites whatsoever, even as cannon fodder. Well, they can "absorb" 1 attack. :negative: I personally liked how HOMM4 added 1 gold per peasant, which made me try to collect them as the were at least somewhat useful, if not in combat directly. As they are, I never even get them.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Orzie you should make a proper HoMM3:Succession Wars thread. We have one for Hota.

Orzie

Arbiter
Sure. I was going to make one prior to the release of v0.8 beta, which needs a few weeks more to be put together.
If it's not okay to post H3SW in this thread, I guess I'll better wait for the release myself.

Archibald

Arcane
I think its okay, its just that your wonderful work might not get noticed as much in this thread.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just lost the hardest HoMM 2 map I've tried so far, an XL map called "!" by R L Smith.

You play Conan who has to defeat the Necromancer named "!" in 4 months, which turned out to be an uphill struggle.
The map trolls you in that the Thieves Guilds report that the Necromancer has the weakest army of all the facions, so I thought a small army would make it (there isn't really time to build a large army). Problem is that there's some powerful independent stacks on the way, including a pack of Black Dragons and lots of Phoenixes. The phoenixes proved too hard for my decimated army, and I had less thas two weeks of the time limit again, so I don't think I would have succeeded anyway.

Anyone tried this map?
It looks like it was supposed to be included in Heroes 2 Gold, but since it wasn't I assume NWC couldn't get in contact with the author.

I'll probably retry it again with a lesser difficutly. It looks like Impossible was correct in this case...

Orzie

Arbiter
Still cannot resist to add this one here. Those who wish can play the "count the differences" game. :)
Official thread coming soon.

CQdiWRa.png

Orzie

Arbiter
We are going to have the conversions of all official H1-H2-H3 maps sometime, as well as some new ones to keep the tradition. The gameplay will somehow differ, but it's okay for us.

You see, that project is not a simple total conversion. It is intended to revive the community, and to allow people feel nostalgic while experiencing new gaming impressions at the same time.

Beautiful work Orzie. You and your team are making IMO ultimate Heroes game experience and make redundant every other Heroes when I get that "gotta play a round of Heroes" itch for me. :brodex:

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Can't remember the last time I was looking forward to a mod so much. All I need now is a project to Xeen-ify MM6-8.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom