Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Paradox has acquired White Wolf and the World of Darkness IP, including Vampire: The Masquerade

Ninjerk

Arcane
Any new WoD (or NWoD) game would focus for on the "action" element, like the previous 2 Masquerade games. Because that's what sells. So it would be FPP.

I personally would love something that more focuses on the politics though.
If we're going for what sells, maybe they'll be making a CCG with a F2P MOBA crossover :troll:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
The sad thing is, that was the ONLY MMO I was even remotely interested in. I'd rather have a proper Vampire single player game though.

giphy.gif

I'm thinking they'd make something like Vampire: Dark Crusader King. Manage your vampire through the ages.

Plenty of Dlc potential there.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I met Sven at Twitch Con this year, he was a pretty cool dude. I have a lot of respect for what he and Larian have done, and for his ability to really hustle.

That said, I could only see them doing any of the games in this universe if they hired outside writers, Brits or Americans who can really write in English. I don't know if shit is getting lost in the translation, or if they are just too over-the-top with some of the goofiness in their dialog, but their current "style" absolutely would not work with a WW game.

A new WoD/VTM game is ought to be built on social interactions as pillars (why? because that's how I'd like it to be. Bloodlines with more social and political adventures and intrigue and less wonky combat), and other stuff like combat as dessert. Except, there is no AA(A) game developer capable of pulling a feat like that. They all make chiefly FIGHTAN games with different flavours and the combat is very poor in all of them (haven't played D:OS yet). Obsidian, Larian, InXile, CDProjekt. None.

So the only viable choice from a design standpoint is the small-time indie developers of RPGs and adventure games.

Caim

Arcane
I'd love to see something based on Mage, but that would be impossible to program because of how magic works there (you can pretty much DO ANYTHING with your magic, so limiting it would be major BS.)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I'd love to see something based on Mage, but that would be impossible to program because of how magic works there (you can pretty much DO ANYTHING with your magic, so limiting it would be major BS.)
I don't think it'd be impossible to program, it's not much different in concept from spell-making. And "Anything" is a bit of an exaggeration anyway, you're heavily limited by a lot of factors.

The real challenge would be designing sandbox scenarios where stuff like being able to intecept radio waves with your brian useful without being gimmicky one-of-a-time scripted interaction

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's pretty limited by the sanity of your and other characters. I should think it would really require a lot of DOS-esque water puddles+power line or exploding barrel type environmental stuff.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I too would love to see VD's take on this setting. Though I don't believe he is that passionate about it, or cares much for it if I remember.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You get excited for an instant at the prospect of new WoD games and then it drops that all the games will probably suck.

Just like when GW started handing their IPs to anyone who asks for it. OMG finally cool things can be done!!! But Nobody qualified will ever do a proper WFRP/40KRP/Necromunda videogame.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm not sure paradox will license the ips to projects they don't feel strengthen the world of darkness brand, at least at first...

I imagine they can either go one if two ways, big and flashy console oriented action rpg, or try to develop a more hardcore crpg speaking to nostalgia of the bloodlines fan base.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I imagine they can either go one if two ways, big and flashy console oriented action rpg, or try to develop a more hardcore crpg speaking to nostalgia of the bloodlines fan base.
Two different ways to screw it up. I'm specially wary of nostalgia pandering spiritual sequels after the last few years.

Tao

Savant
The only good thing about all of this is that the IP is not dead anymore in CCP hands at least. The rest of the news... let's say is not promising.

Huge fan of VtM and WoD here.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Prefer to see someone smaller with fresh ideas get a crack at it (e.g. Overhyped if they weren't already mid-development, I think I mentioned Styg earlier).

hivemind

I too would love to see VD's take on this setting. Though I don't believe he is that passionate about it, or cares much for it if I remember.
imo, judging mostly from AoD, VD isn't really the person to fully embrace the 'gothic'/'existential' theme that VTM carries(or at least should carry imo) with it.

Might as well ask him. :M

Vault Dweller
Could you imagine yourself ever being interested in making a cRPG set in the Vampire the Masquerade setting ?

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Bloodlines 2 is going to be shit regardless of the developer(if it happens) because it will based on the flawed premise of cashing in nostalgia and trying to emulate past greatness instead of actually having a creative vision.
This is true.
Does Paradox have money to make a FPP? I mean, DLC milking their map painting simulators doesn't make all that much money, right?
They quite likely have money to make it but they choose not to.

Their entire financial strategy was stated number of times as "we won't go for AAA zone" as they see filling the starved niches as more cost-effective.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom