Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

systematic vs. hand-crafted storytelling

hivemind

do you prefer if the stories you experience in RPGs are told through the interaction of the various game systems or if they are told to you by the developer through narrative structures ??

do you think that an RPG that would complete abandon all premade narrative structures and simply focus on narrative storytelling could work ?(mount and blade kinda does this already I guess)

this thread is mostly inspired by this bit from the latest Avellone video

(31:53 if it doesn't work for someone)

Neanderthal

Arcane
Wasn't there a mouse swingy combat game that was aiming to do this? Good physics but looked a bit awkward, can't remember name of it.

Got to say I can't see how they can do this en masse, most of New Vegas was hand placed and benefitted from that, despite MCAs example. Interesting to see somebody try I suppose, wouldn't expect owt of any kop to arise from it narratively though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MCA, in case you haven't noticed, is a bit obsessed with geeking out over things he's not personally good at doing.

Frozen

Arcane
Im a storyfag and would go with narrative structure because at this stage of development gameplay is not there yet to give it a full story experience only through mechanic. It does but its mostly head canon.
You have to structure it and lead a player by the hand to give him a full story experience.
Problem is games are (still) entertainment for children/teens so themes and stories going both ways are kind of retarded, conflicts are morally and emotionally simplistic.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I don't think you need to lead a player by the hand at all, simply make a believable world with enough information scattered around it, the tools to explore and solve problems and let the player discover at their own pace for most of the gameplay. Ocassionally narrowing down to chokepoints at logical places, that ideally reflect your playstyle and decisions. Thief missions are the perfect example of this.

Just my opinion though, and I agree that if games mostly head canon then there's no point playing, larping sucks.

Last edited:

Duckard

Augur
This isn't the first time MCA has talked about this. It's odd because when you look at his most beloved work, it's all stuff that has hand-crafted storytelling.

Anyway, I like the idea, but can you really call a bunch of random interactions a compelling narrative? Strategy games are pretty full of this kind of thing, but it's not so much storytelling as it is the player interpreting what happens in the game as a story.

Mozg

Arcane
I like human-generated narratives that are enhanced by systems like the spirit eater curse in MotB. Particularly in the type of RPGs which are significantly based in character. I think full blown "emergent narrative" stuff like Dwarf Fortress or the narrative elements of a Civilization or Pirates!/M&B are cool but too lightweight to sustain characters.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
So this thread is a good opportunity to bring this up. There's this guy mg who acts like a smug troll on the Underworld forums. Like most good trolls, his posts aren't completely without merit, and I'm curious what you think about the following exchange: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=890.msg15190#msg15190
I think I understand what he means. That is, if you have so many ways to handle a situation, it becomes impossible to fail since you are guaranteed to stumble into a solution that brings success?

I think this is true in that particular context of the Shadowbeast encounter because there is one simple solution: produce a big lightsource...in a place full of ways to make big fires. I'd like to see how their simulation stuff goes on a more elaborate scenario.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Witcher anatomy quest right way to do things if you ask me, you can think you're right but easy to fuck up.
Yeah. A problem that plagues CRPGs is that different choices are often just different ways to reach optimal outcome so you turn off your brain and let the check you can pass blindly guide you to success.

Also I actually fucked up that quest. :M

Mozg

Arcane
I looked it up to see what you were talking about and I am 99% sure I plowed through that quest without finding any of the subtle shit and assumed I'd done it correctly. That raises my retrospective opinion of that game.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Job Creator

Arcane
I think I understand what he means. That is, if you have so many ways to handle a situation, it becomes impossible to fail since you are guaranteed to stumble into a solution that brings success?

I think this is true in that particular context of the Shadowbeast encounter because there is one simple solution: produce a big lightsource...in a place full of ways to make big fires. I'd like to see how their simulation stuff goes on a more elaborate scenario.
I don't feel like this is intrinsically tied to simulations, but I guess if developers are going after as much manifold emergence as they can get they'll over do it and solutions will be trivial, so I guess his remark might help them keep that in mind

Do you guys think something like a non-banal (a Myst-like with Raven's matrices in various guises wouldn't count) adventure game could be theoretically produced procedurally?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I prefer handcrafted, especially in a game that actually has story as its selling point.
While full systemic story telling might be great in idea, in execution it falls short.
Using your example, Mount and Blade. While the game is good and enjoyable, it never is about "Hey, this game has enjoyable story". Instead it is the sense of challenge and "How powerful can I be" that make the game enjoyable. The same could be said for other similar game like, let's say, Battle Brothers.

do you prefer if the stories you experience in RPGs are told through the interaction of the various game systems or if they are told to you by the developer through narrative structures ??

do you think that an RPG that would complete abandon all premade narrative structures and simply focus on narrative storytelling could work ?(mount and blade kinda does this already I guess)

this thread is mostly inspired by this bit from the latest Avellone video

(31:53 if it doesn't work for someone)

I think you mean scripted versus unscripted narrative, bro.

Thonius

Arcane
Wasn't there a mouse swingy combat game that was aiming to do this? Good physics but looked a bit awkward, can't remember name of it.

Got to say I can't see how they can do this en masse, most of New Vegas was hand placed and benefitted from that, despite MCAs example. Interesting to see somebody try I suppose, wouldn't expect owt of any kop to arise from it narratively though.
Examina? (sui genesis)

V_K

Arcane
A combination of both, dungeon crawler style: best games imo have handcrafted high-level narratives but present them through level design rather than text and cutscenes.

Baron

Arcane
Coming from a pen and paper background my favourite adventures were born out of a good plot, much more so than just surviving some difficult dungeon dice rolls.

But as to the OP's question, I'm hoping we no longer have to choose. Modern games (general gaming) are giving us some pretty spectacular sandboxes to play in and create your own stories, plus they're at least trying with including a decently written story (Bethesda aside). Pillars of Eternity bet it's kickstarter funds on the fact that people liked plot, with reasonable success.

As much as I love them, the old games (whilst giving you great game worlds for their time, like Wizardry, Bard's Tale) were pretty thin on plot. The title of Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord was longer than the plot. It took Ultima IV to show you could have both.

Out of the new shit, I really enjoyed both story elements of Shadow over Mordor; being ambushed by random vindictive orcs, plus the written story with it's subversive corrupting theme as you rise in power and dominate your orcish minions. It fit extremely well with the source material and was far better than I was expecting.

Mad Max also provided a game world for great adventures although its story was reduced to "I need a V8" (it must be noted that, in Australia, this is considered a moving heart wrenching tale of loss and spiritual redemption on the level of Les Miserables). And it also included a nice subplot about the dangers of hope in the wasteland. For a game in which I only asked to hit other Australians at high speeds with a bull bar, it was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom