Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Torment Kickstarter Update #49: Kevin Saunders leaves inXile, replaced by Chris Keenan

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
None of those games were enjoyable to play, which is less than what Obsidian and inXile can say. :M

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
None of those games were enjoyable to play, which is less than what Obsidian and inXile can say. :M

You always talk about games like they were going to be some noble example for the rest of people to follow but you can't even handle a little good-natured ribbing on an internet forum without breaking down over it. Over and over again you say something stupid, them get ridiculed for it, then whine about being ridiculed while insisting that no one understands you or your outlook and plans for the future. It would be totally forgivable and even endearing if you could be a little self-deprecating about it but instead you just dig your heels in and insist that you've got everything all figured out and everybody else has his head up his ass. You're a jackass.

Fairfax

Arcane
That's up for debate, but Obsidian's bugfests are undeniable. Also, 2 of Troika's games are in the RPGCodex top 6 CRPGs, Obsidian had one game in the top 10 at #8. InXile has none.

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer
probly because its taking way too fucking long

guy sounds like a perfectionist.. not the best choice for a lead when time is of the essence

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Lol, if you think Obsidian bug problems are even remotely comparable to Troika shitfests, you obviously didn't play any of Troika games on release. Easy to be Captain Hindsight when you're playing games with 10 years worth of community patches.

Game industry is a collaborative effort. It matters fuck all whether you're Leonardo Da Vinci of game design, if you don't run a tight ship, your product is gonna suck donkey balls.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's up for debate, but Obsidian's bugfests are undeniable. Also, 2 of Troika's games are in the RPGCodex top 6 CRPGs, Obsidian had one game in the top 10 at #8. InXile has none.
Obsidian released two polished games with Dungeon Siege III and South Park. Yes, I know a lot of people here have weird priorities.

Deleted member 7219

Beats Obsidian's ratio of 7 buggy games and only 2 made excellent by modders.

Mask of the Betrayer, Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: The Stick of Truth and Pillars of Eternity were all great right out of the box.

I can only think of KOTOR 2 which was made better by modders. Alpha Protocol was unfixable, Dungeon Siege 3 couldn't be fixed because the entire game was about having a shallow action RPG experience (but it wasn't awful, thanks to George Ziets' writing).

Klarion

Arcane
Tim Cain: The guy chiefly responsible for Fallout.
And that's it? What about Arcanum, ToEE and Vampire: Bloodlines?

On every "best RPG's ever" list there's at least one of those 3 games, along with Fallout 1 or 2 of course.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I can only think of KOTOR 2 which was made better by modders.

More importantly OE wasn't at fault. It was Lucas Arts rushing the release date completely out of the blue.

They were in such a hurry to make the new deadline, most of the forcibly cut content ended up being on the disc. Which is why modders were later able to restore it.

Fairfax

Arcane
Obsidian released two polished games with Dungeon Siege III and South Park. Yes, I know a lot of people here have weird priorities.
Both were mediocre, however.
Mask of the Betrayer, Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: The Stick of Truth and Pillars of Eternity were all great right out of the box.

I can only think of KOTOR 2 which was made better by modders. Alpha Protocol was unfixable, Dungeon Siege 3 couldn't be fixed because the entire game was about having a shallow action RPG experience (but it wasn't awful, thanks to George Ziets' writing).
Mask of the Betrayer is an expansion, and the core game still had a lot of bugs when it was released. I liked Fallout: New Vegas a lot, but that was the buggiest Obsidian game ever (I know it's not their fault entirely, but still). Even after all patches, it still requires mods to remove stuttering, crashes and performance issues.
PoE is good, not great IMO, and it was bugfest, filled with game-breaking bugs and updates that add new ones.

Anyway, the two games I was talking about were FNV and KOTOR 2. 3 if you include MotB, but I wouldn't because it's not a standalone expansion.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Weird priority being a good game rather than a polished turd. Yeah, so weird.

Also, DS3 was polished only if you compare it to a typical Obsidian catastrophe.
I don't know about South Park, I don't even want to get near that kind of thing.

Deleted member 7219

And that's it? What about Arcanum, ToEE and Vampire: Bloodlines?

On every "best RPG's ever" list there's at least one of those 3 games, along with Fallout 1 or 2 of course.

Cain did some programming on Bloodlines but that game was led by Anderson and Boyarsky, with some writing from Mitsoda.

I don't nerdgasm over Arcanum unlike the rest of the Codex so I don't hold that one up as high as Fallout. I've never played ToEE so I can't speak for its quality.

Fallout is now massively popular and Fallout 4 is about to come out, sell spectacularly and get 10/10 ratings from the mainstream media, so it is important to remember the whole franchise began with Tim Cain working all on his lonesome, when Brian Fargo had every reason to pull the plug.

Darkzone

Arcane
I have heard that Bard's Tale IV is in the making. Perhaps we can get ksaun on this project a job?

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Decline. Saunders/Zeits brought us MotB which is more than pretty much every other dev at inxile can say.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Both were mediocre, however.

Goal-post moving.

Weird priority being a good game rather than a polished turd. Yeah, so weird.

Good walking and talking simulators you mean. Anything that could be considered good about them has little to do with core systems for most.

Also, DS3 was polished only if you compare it to a typical Obsidian catastrophe.

I completed it with every character, didn't notice anything particularly buggy about it compared to non-RPGs.

Tigranes

Arcane
Guys, I know. Remember NWN2?

Who steps in when the lead is out?

Who will BALANCE a project in disarray?

:smug:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
This just smells like not enough money. Its always the problem. But at the same time just leaving like that?

Resources were used on the directors cut, bards tale is coming along, a new studio opening, and maybe now that Autoduel reboot?
I hope Adam, Colin and George ideas\content for the game dont get much blows from the hatchet man, and that we get a decent product.

roshan

Arcane
Considering the growth of InXile, there are tons of opportunities for Saunders there - Bard's Tale 4, the new studio opening, the Autoduel and Van Buren trademarks, a possible sequel to Wasteland, etc. Not to mention that they already have the technologies in place to pump out new RPGs, with both a 3D version of Unity and a 2D one, and Unreal 4 to boot. Somehow I don't think this was a voluntary or amicable parting.

But I can't help but get hyped for good liver!

Incidentally, that line always annoyed me; Lecter is supposed to be a gentleman of refined and sophisticated tastes. You would think he would know that Liver and Chianti would be a fairly mediocre pairing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom