Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommendations

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Deponia is definitely one of the most unique adventure game series when it comes to puzzles. I'm glad you enjoyed it -- not everyone can.

Aside from the ones you mentioned, the secret knock puzzle was among those I enjoyed the most.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I would also mention The Last Express

:brodex:

TLE was light years ahead of its time. Hell, it still is when you think about it. The technology has aged, but the concepts behind it are as mind blowing as they were 20 years ago.

Ivan

Arcane
Yeah fuck Broken Age. Elijah's droll VA is horrible. i didn't care much for anything in ch. 1. uninstalled.

Gonna finish up LISA, so far so fun.

Name

Cipher
There are two current major AVG publishers:
Wadjet Eye Games:
You have played their Blackwell series.
1. The Shivah is short game set in the Blackwell universe. It has an enhanced edition called Kosher Edition.
2. Gemini Rue is an OK sci-fi game.
3. Primordia is a great Post-Apoc AI characters game.
4. Their best? Resonance.
5. Their newest offer is Technobabylon. Cool Cyberpunk setting, not a fan of the pacing, due to its previous aborted episodic nature.
Daedalic Entertainment
It's most close to The Inner World you have played, but better (I'm talking out of ass here because I can't muster up interest to play it).
1. Deponia trilogy: It was their main franchise, but rather low on my list, probably because of the protagonist is an ass, as intended.
2. Edna & Harvey duology: This is their most weird game. It's so cute but you are a mental patient and should be locked up for good. The second one Harvey's New Eyes is definitely worth it.
3. The Dark Eye series: No relation to the Blackguards. Play through Chains of Satinav so you can be blown away by the sequel Memoria, their best offer.
4. Anna's Quest: Their newest offer. It's cute as Edna & Harvey but it's not mental.
5. Honorable Mention: Many folks have problem with the global warming messages in A New Beginning, but personally I like the writing and if you actually play through the game, you'll see that the global warming controversial turn out to be ambiguous. If there is any Aesop in there, it's broken.

(I'm a fan of Jane Jensen. So I like her new games Gray Matter and Moebius: Empire Rising, and even Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller by association.)

Oh I saw you have a list now. Let me modify your list as well because I'm alone forever:

Botanicula (Kiddie game, don't), Primordia (You like Fallout?) , Resonance, Gemini Rue, Syberia 1 + 2 (I find them GREATLY overrated. You should probably play first one to get a taste of their offer since they are famous last decade), Longest Journey (Don't touch the sequels), + Chains of Satinav + Memoria. Oh, ugh, and I guess I gotta get around to finishing Broken Age P. 2

Ivan

Arcane
what's the kodexian konesus on Whispered World and Night of the Rabbit?

Last edited:

Name

Cipher
According to German speakers the original VA from Whispered World is good. Play these two last because they are not as good as others.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Not a codex consensus but in my opinion both are worth playing. Their respective atmospheres are not so far from the atmosphere of The Inner World. I consider them as hard as the third Deponia whereas I consider other Daedalic games easier, if you care.

DeepOcean

Arcane
what's the kodexian konesus on Whispered World and Night of the Rabbit?
Whispered World has a nice art style and some decent puzzles in it but what kills it for me is that there isn't much of a story in it. Yeah, you go walking around doing random stuff but I missed some tight plot and some charismatic characters to stimulate me going foward and the main character is a boring whiner, at least the english dub that I played it is. It isn't a bad game but I didn't feel rewarded by finishing it.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
what's the kodexian konesus on Whispered World...
To me The Whispered World is a pretty poor game, not because of the voice acting (which is very grating) but because of bad puzzle design (fucking sliding-tile puzzles), boring characters, uninteresting exploration, and an atmosphere/story I didn't really care for.
Daedalic's later games were better, specifically the Deponia games and Memoria (Chains of Satinav was pretty similar to Whispered World in my opinion, but a bit better). The only really great game they ever made was Chaos on Deponia.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You can easily skip Whispered World and play the much superior Memoria and the Deponia series instead, and not miss a single thing.

Enjoy these last good Adventure games from them, because that may be it for now.......

Ivan

Arcane
Chains of Satinav

Wow. A genuinely good adventure game through and through. Great pacing, good length, very solid/grounded puzzles. The only letdown was the lack of music (what was there was good) and the animation could definitely use some touching up. I hear Memoria is an improvement, looking forward to that.

:4/5:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I played Grim Fandango and Discworld Noir this year. I preferred the latter (but given that I live in the UK, it should not surprise that I prefer Discworld Noir's humour). Since you like Grim Fandango, why not try Discworld Noir?

I'm right there with you when it comes to preferences. In fact, if he decides to eventually play any Discworld games it should be Noir which even with some sniffing tomfoolery later on, is still a far cry from adventure game logic first two Discworld games employed. While emulating the PS1 version would probably be easier PC version actually uses higher quality 3D models from what I remember, so yeah.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Discworld 'adventure game logic' is pretty great if you're a jaded adventurer, so it's not like you have to avoid them. Just have a non-spoiler walkthrough handy like UHS, cause you will get stuck.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Discworld 'adventure game logic' is pretty great if you're a jaded adventurer
It's more Discworld-logic, which is even more warped than typical adventure-game-logic. But anyone familiar enough with the earlier books and with adventure games should be able to get into the mindset very quickly.

And yes Discworld Noir is great.

Ivan

Arcane
Book of Unwritten Tales 2

A meaty adventure and overall improvement upon the first title, which I thought was good but suffered from poor pacing toward the end. This is an easy-to-medium 20-hour adventure game with solid puzzles but steals the show with its charming characters, humorous art, writing, and animations. Everything comes together so well here, though there are some problems: it's a bit rough around the edges, has some audio bugs, clipping issues, but this is one of the best adventure games I've played thus far. Save for one "minigame" that sticks out like a sore thumb, I was never frustrated or annoyed at all. Definitely looking forward to the inevitable expansion. Definitely check this out.

:5/5:
some screens:
BB6E7AA8264C8D60F86B316EF24A7F9C6854F3A9

2D4D66744FDF3737AF74A1D8D1D6E46CDD7918E4

6BD7F17A4BA52D3591492196E4C752F9D147BD75

338499BD8573C60E3B9B33D2F76E09DC42476C72

:love:

RuySan

Augur
I actually think the whispered world it's the best Daedalic game. It has some absurd puzzles, but not on the same level of Deponia. I also have a soft spot for A New Beggining, but it seems to be one of the lowest rated Daedalic adventures.

Primordia is also great, and probably the best Wadjet Eye. It has acessible puzzles and nice atmosphere.

The Book of Unwritten Tales is a bit too easy, but it's funny and charming.

EDIT: Don't know how i could foget The Chains of Satinav and Memoria. Both are excellent. Play them.

Lucky

Arcane
I guess what I like most in these games (or those that I've played, i.e. mostly upbeat, happy) is the charm, whimsy, and creativity behind the characters and the settings.

I think you'll enjoy Fran Bow. It's not a difficult game, but it excels at being charming and whimsical. The right kind of indie game.

Also, if you play and like Botanicula, Samorost 1 and 2 are made by the same developer (Machinarium too, although you already played that). The first is free and the second is fairly cheap. Both are quite short.

Memoria you're already planning on playing, but it can't hurt to recommend it again. Excellent sequel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Surprised that Frederik Pohl's Gateway hasn't been mentioned. The atmosphere is pretty good and the puzzles are (mostly) quite logical, although the parser could use some improvement.

RuySan

Augur
I forgot probably the best one. The Dream Machine.

It's really the perfect adventure game. Great graphics, puzzles and story. But the last episode is still to be released, and i don't know when that's going to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom