Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Murk

Arcane
Ah- I meant in DaS2. Are there any similar techniques? It wasn't in the first game.

Some weapons give entirely unique powerstance moves. These range from small weapons to great weapons, so it's worth experimenting.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm guessing he means it'll be more trial and error/memory like DS1 and less 'fuck you' situations like DS2.

Castanova

Prophet
Considering that the gameplay in Bloodborne is far better than the gameplay within the Dark Souls games it's good that Dark Souls 3 is leaning a bit toward that direction of BB. However, judging by the trailer videos, not leaning enough. It's going to be difficult to settle for that slower paced combat again.

I've played all of From's Souls games from DeS on, multiple times, and I don't agree with you at all. Bloodborne was my least favorite of their games, even worse than DS2. The combat was repetitive and lacked options. So, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've played all of From's Souls games from DeS on, multiple times, and I don't agree with you at all. Bloodborne was my least favorite of their games, even worse than DS2. The combat was repetitive and lacked options. So, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

That's neat. I've been playing Souls games since DeS was released in Asia. I've clocked in thousands upon thousands of hours into these games. I think Bloodborne is the best game they've made with the formula. I don't see how it's repetitive since the combat promotes not only aggression but lethality as well. Breaking monster limbs with well timed charged attacks to make them your bitch feels so good, much better than circle strafing and turtling behind a shield. I don't see how it lacks options either. The 2 options not available in the game are shields and single target Direct Damage spells (essentially Archery / Long Ranged combat with particle effect missiles, but ranged combat does exist within the game in the form of guns). so, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

This argument needs to stop being about speed & aggression vs strafing & turtling or things that "feel good".

Because that stuff mostly has to do with your playstyle and feels. A more encompassing look at each game just makes it painfully obvious how shallow BB is compared to its predecessors.

I had a great time with the game and squeezed almost all possible challenge and content from it (much like with DeS/DaS1/2). "Streamlined cash-grab" is still my general feeling about it when compared to its predecessors.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm waiting for you to elaborate on BB being shallow, beyond just parroting the idiotic /v/ meme. Removing shield and one playstyle that was rancid in the first place (except not really since ranged combat is still in and magic is just a glorified form of ranged combat, and magic does exist, it's just not as simple as banal blue projectiles) while improving the game in every other possible area doesn't make the game shallower. :MBosses have more depth to them, forgetting the aggressiveness of normal enemies for one second, they are also a lot more reactive with all kinds of little nuances like shoving added into their arsenal to mix things up so that killing enemies doesn't become too formulaic. Weapons have more depth to them in BB with lots of unique movesets. You can customize your weapons stats a lot as well with all the different Blood Gems. If all you do is play the normal campaign then you'll miss out on more than half the Blood Gems with stat modifiers that are only available within the Chalice Dungeons, which locks you out from a whole level of customization depth, which in turn also limits your build variety.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's shit, get over it. You bought that PS4 for nothing. DO YOU HEAR ME?! NOTHING!

Again you start with your own playstyle preferences. I don't give a shit if you or I dislike magic and shields. Bloodborne gives you one option - go and kill things. Here are a few things I can do in DaS2:
  • Heavy armor, no ADP tank that relies on different types of shields to block damage. It means that I have to figure out which shields/infusions block X element 100% and manage my stamina accordingly. I can use poise/hyperarmor to my advantage since fully upgraded armor will reduce a lot of physical damage. This doesn't include choice of weapon, which is nearly all that BB gives you.
  • High ADP archer - tons of damage types via different arrows. You have tons of END to avoid close combat altogether and high i-frame count for e-z dodges.
  • Mage/hexer that relies on 100% elemental resist which can make some boss encounters a joke. INT/FTH also raise your elemental defenses. Use Dead Again to lure tougher enemies into corpses.

Three completely different playstyles that don't even touch weapon choice. So what if BB has more moves per weapon? DaS2 still surpasses in choice and variety. You get a few different types of parries too.
Blood gems are a slightly different take on weapon upgrade paths or infusions. I can't see how this shit is any better. Random grind elements similar to Diablo are not really welcome in a Souls game.
You can argue about specific content like boss design and movesets all you want. Gameplay systems in BB are shit.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Again you start with your own playstyle preferences. I don't give a shit if you or I dislike magic and shields. Bloodborne gives you one option - go and kill things. Here are a few things I can do in DaS2:
  • Heavy armor, no ADP tank that relies on different types of shields to block damage. It means that I have to figure out which shields/infusions block X element 100% and manage my stamina accordingly. I can use poise/hyperarmor to my advantage since fully upgraded armor will reduce a lot of physical damage. This doesn't include choice of weapon, which is nearly all that BB gives you.
  • High ADP archer - tons of damage types via different arrows. You have tons of END to avoid close combat altogether and high i-frame count for e-z dodges.
  • Mage/hexer that relies on 100% elemental resist which can make some boss encounters a joke. INT/FTH also raise your elemental defenses. Use Dead Again to lure tougher enemies into corpses.

Three completely different playstyles that don't even touch weapon choice. So what if BB has more moves per weapon? DaS2 still surpasses in choice and variety. You get a few different types of parries too.
Blood gems are a slightly different take on weapon upgrade paths or infusions. I can't see how this shit is any better. Random grind elements similar to Diablo are not really welcome in a Souls game.
You can argue about specific content like boss design and movesets all you want. Gameplay systems in BB are shit.

Aight, time to break this shit up. Let's start with the Heavy Armor since this will be short and easy. Simply put armor is worthless in DaS2. It's not going to make any difference in mitigating damage. Poise is the only thing that matters. The only Souls game where armor is useful is DaS1. Physical defense is pretty useless, and it gets even more useless in the DLC areas where everything hits like a truck anyway.

You make shields and managing shields seem more tactical than what it actually is. All you need is a shield with 100% physical damage reduction, anything else is just gravy. Or just get the Dragonrider Greatshield and it's GG, you don't need to think about resistances. It does it all. Disregarding all of that, this shield turtle playstyle is still banal. Circle strafe around lumbering slow enemies and hitting them in the back with a butt paddle. "Manage your stamina" of just fuck off already. You get hit and then you back off or circle around the enemy until your stamina regens, or don't because the hits hardly dent your stamina bar if you aren't using a completely worthless shield. Slow and shit gameplay, just like I said before. :M

High ADP archer, why isn't this doable in Bloodborne again? It's just an agile ranged character, easily done. Just invest in Bloodtinge and get an Evelyn, there, done. Invest in some Arcane as well so you can use the Old Hunter Bone if you are feeling extra cheeky. Have fun.

Mage/Hexer: I've said it before, I'll say it again. Archery with particle effects. I don't see how using elemental resists is such a big deal, you can do that in Bloodborne as well. I used Henryk's armor against Paarl.

DaS2 doesn't surpass it in choice and variety. DeS, DaS and DaS2 have a lot of weapons with different stat scaling but the same movesets. That means that you have different varieties of the same weapon but some are weaker and some are flat out better. There's no variety there. All the weapons in BB are unique and one weapon isn't inherently superior over another one. It mostly comes down to preferance and/or optimizing a good build that complements the weapon. Ludwig's Holy Blade is an excellent weapon for an Arcane spec. It has A scaling in Arcane, but no inherent Arcane damage. Slap on a Blood Gem that changes its physical damage into something else like Arcane, Fire or Bolt and you have a very good weapon that's powerful against every enemy and scales off that A rank in Arcane, as long as you have the right Blood Gems.

Blood Gems are a different take on the upgrade paths, except that it's a far more modular system. That's the point. It adds another layer of depth with it's modability. There is no random grind element like in Diablo, specific monsters drop specific Blood Gems. You can easily figure out which guys you'll want to kill for what drops if you pull up a wiki. It's not the same kind of RNG lottery as Diablo.

Just to be clear, do you own a PS4?

Murk

Arcane
Armor is totally relevant. At 1,000 armor (typical havel set up) you take like 90~100 less damage PER SWING of pure phys damage. Depending on your enemy's weapon, this can easily double how many times they have to hit you. More if they're using a dagger or whip or other weak weapon. Poise on the other hand has like 3-4 major breakpoints that only guarantee you eating 1-2 hits. Even at maxe poise, some weapons still guarantee-poise break you (tho you should still have some to face tank rapiers n shit.)

Elemental armor is even more important since it's % based. Sooooooooo many times I would stack 1000+ resist on elements and face tank a dedicated caster all while spamming gestures at him to then kill him with shield bashes or a fucking broken thief sword (tiny damage, breaks the guys armor before it kills him, spammy as fuck and great tracking)

Great shield against me and you're dead m8. There are multiple ways around it. Magic, guard-break, shield piercing, and just straight up chipping through (many times someone shield walled only to get killed through it cuz of an infused weapon.) Only real use for a shield-walling is to block magic that you can't risk dodging cuz lag. Otherwise, tactical blocks are a must cuz guard-breaks are way too real and devastating. Especially with a poisoned weapon that will complete the poison in one riposte (like say, an infused spotted whip).

I don't own a ps4 so I can't comment on BB, but yeah the DS 2 stuff is off the mark.

EDIT: regarding single-player, the game is too easy for me to the point that any complaints about how simple/banal the playstyle is if you CHOOSE to do it in single-player are pointless to argue. If you don't like how shield style plays, don't use it. For over 900 of my 1,000 hours in DS 2 I didn't even have a shield equipped let alone used it.

Last edited:
Yeah I have a PS4 (regrettably). Why does it matter?

I've done a fat roll run in DaS2 so I can tell you that stamina management, armor and shield choice fucking matters.

BB stats are shit. Bloodtinge/Arcane exist for nothing. Can you carry a stack of 999 fire/lightning/magic arrows on your "evelyn run"? Oh right... You're going to be stuck with the absolutely retarded blood bullet system.

Why should I give a shit about having blood/arcane damage on my weapon? Can someone stack enough defense to negate my damage?

Blood Gem GRINDS are bullshit and you know it. You're saying that random % damage on drop is not RNG lottery? Chalice dungeons are objectively the worst part of Bloodborne. You are FORCED to do that shit on every single character for PvP.

Redlands

Arcane
You guys are all wrong. Clearly the best Souls game is Lords of the Fallen.

:troll:

Machocruz

Arcane
Seems like BB should have been even simpler than it was, more in the vein of the recent Ys games or early Seiken Densetsu instead of being almost-Souls with its systems. Nothing wrong with a more simple ARPG.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Armor is totally relevant. At 1,000 armor (typical havel set up) you take like 90~100 less damage PER SWING of pure phys damage. Depending on your enemy's weapon, this can easily double how many times they have to hit you. More if they're using a dagger or whip or other weak weapon. Poise on the other hand has like 3-4 major breakpoints that only guarantee you eating 1-2 hits. Even at maxe poise, some weapons still guarantee-poise break you (tho you should still have some to face tank rapiers n shit.)

Elemental armor is even more important since it's % based. Sooooooooo many times I would stack 1000+ resist on elements and face tank a dedicated caster all while spamming gestures at him to then kill him with shield bashes or a fucking broken thief sword (tiny damage, breaks the guys armor before it kills him, spammy as fuck and great tracking)

Great shield against me and you're dead m8. There are multiple ways around it. Magic, guard-break, shield piercing, and just straight up chipping through (many times someone shield walled only to get killed through it cuz of an infused weapon.) Only real use for a shield-walling is to block magic that you can't risk dodging cuz lag. Otherwise, tactical blocks are a must cuz guard-breaks are way too real and devastating. Especially with a poisoned weapon that will complete the poison in one riposte (like say, an infused spotted whip).

I don't own a ps4 so I can't comment on BB, but yeah the DS 2 stuff is off the mark.

EDIT: regarding single-player, the game is too easy for me to the point that any complaints about how simple/banal the playstyle is if you CHOOSE to do it in single-player are pointless to argue. If you don't like how shield style plays, don't use it. For over 900 of my 1,000 hours in DS 2 I didn't even have a shield equipped let alone used it.

90-100 less damage is literally nothing when DLC monsters will whack 50%~ of your HP away with a single hit even if you wear heavy armor and have lots of HP invested. In normal circuimstances you can make up the lack of armor just by investing a few levels more into health rather than the strength and endurance needed to wear said armor, unless you are specifically going for poise.

Regarding multi-player, you're only moving the goalpost now so whatever. You don't care about single-player, I couldn't give a shit about multi-player. I chose to try every single playstyle and after trying pretty much every combination I can say that Bloodborne did gameplay better. You can twist and turn as much as you want but that's the truth of it.

Yeah I have a PS4 (regrettably). Why does it matter?

I've done a fat roll run in DaS2 so I can tell you that stamina management, armor and shield choice fucking matters.

BB stats are shit. Bloodtinge/Arcane exist for nothing. Can you carry a stack of 999 fire/lightning/magic arrows on your "evelyn run"? Oh right... You're going to be stuck with the absolutely retarded blood bullet system.

Why should I give a shit about having blood/arcane damage on my weapon? Can someone stack enough defense to negate my damage?

Blood Gem GRINDS are bullshit and you know it. You're saying that random % damage on drop is not RNG lottery? Chalice dungeons are objectively the worst part of Bloodborne. You are FORCED to do that shit on every single character for PvP.

There's nothing wrong with the blood bullet system, to me it just eems like you hate risk/reward and want the easy way out of grinding a fat stack of arrows. Pussy?

Yes, someone could stack defense to negate your damage blood or arcane damage, just like anything else. I'm really beginning to doubt you've played Bloodborne~.

There's nothing wrong with the chalice dungeons. They are just like any other area in a Souls game, except this time they have randomized rooms. You're not really grinding for Blood Gems because specific enemies drop them and with the right Caryll Runes (and if you have Arcane invested) you'll be seeing lots of drops. Just run the chalice dungeons normally and eventually you'll get what you want. Or do you just hate playing the game?

All I see here are a bunch of bitter PvPers whining about Bloodborne. Face it, these games aren't ever going to become an esport and you're never going to become famous for playing it for the PvP. I don't understand why you bother to stick with these games if you hate the PvE so much. Even Miyazaki thinks that PvP has been a mistake judging by how they are doing it in DaS3.

Seems like BB should have been even simpler than it was, more in the vein of the recent Ys games or early Seiken Densetsu instead of being almost-Souls with its systems. Nothing wrong with a more simple ARPG.

I wouldn't have minded this, but that may perhaps be because I'm tired of the Souls formula at this point. I never felt that the stat system was properly innovated between any of the games and it's always too samey for me. An even simpler ARPG system would've worked just fine for BB's purpose, but I suppose it was faster and easier to go with what they did.

There's nothing wrong with the blood bullet system, to me it just seems like you hate risk/reward and want the easy way out of grinding a fat stack of arrows. Pussy?
:hmmm:
Risk vs retardation maybe? Do I really have to explain how this system does not let you have ranged-only builds? You either deal insanely unbalanced damage or no damage at all with terribly limited ammo.

90-100 less damage is literally nothing when DLC monsters will whack 50%~ of your HP away with a single hit even if you wear heavy armor and have lots of HP invested. In normal circumstances you can make up the lack of armor just by investing a few levels more into health rather than the strength and endurance needed to wear said armor, unless you are specifically going for poise.

Combining the best armor set along with Steel Ring +2 (which has a hidden percent reduction in single player) is a whole lot more than BB. Cherry picking mobs with the highest damage is a useless example. Armor makes a huge difference and building for it is worth it.

Yes, someone could stack defense to negate your damage blood or arcane damage, just like anything else. I'm really beginning to doubt you've played Bloodborne.

You mean the shitty caryll runes? Those were obviously put in the game as check marks. It's never worth using even three of those when you can get your hp/stamina (a.k.a. the only things that matter in the game) up. They don't even reduce damage dealt, but increase your total defenses from armor. It's also amazing how you have to go to hunter's dream to swap out your dmg resist runes. Amazing alternative to rings. And yeah I beat the game without leveling (waste of skin/BL4).

Armor/damage reduction is obviously a leftover from DaS1 (the numbers are even similar) that was kept in to create an illusion of choice. Can someone negate 100+ physical and 100% elemental?

There's nothing wrong with the chalice dungeons. They are just like any other area in a Souls game, except this time they have randomized rooms. You're not really grinding for Blood Gems because specific enemies drop them and with the right Caryll Runes (and if you have Arcane invested) you'll be seeing lots of drops. Just run the chalice dungeons normally and eventually you'll get what you want. Or do you just hate playing the game?

No it seems that you enjoy playing it way too much. Killing enemies in randomly generated dungeons while you have items that increase drop chances equipped is not grinding?

:nocountryforshitposters:

All I see here are a bunch of bitter PvPers whining about Bloodborne. Face it, these games aren't ever going to become an esport and you're never going to become famous for playing it for the PvP. I don't understand why you bother to stick with these games if you hate the PvE so much. Even Miyazaki thinks that PvP has been a mistake judging by how they are doing it in DaS3.

Where the fuck is this coming from? E-sport? Famous? Hate PvE? Even Muhzaki? I just can't anymore...

:dead:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
:hmmm:
Risk vs retardation maybe? Do I really have to explain how this system does not let you have ranged-only builds? You either deal insanely unbalanced damage or no damage at all with terribly limited ammo.

What limited ammo? You DO know that if you press Up on the D-Pad you sacrifice a Blood Vial and some HP for +5 QS Bullets, and you can do this as long as you have Blood Vials left? That there are Caryll Runes that increase your max QS value and Caryll Runes which let you refresh your QS bullets if you perform a visceral attack, something that can only be performed by parrying an opponent with a gun. Throw in Bone Marrow Ash in the mix which increases your damage dealth with a single bullet by a significant amount, great for boss fights or very nasty enemies. Ranged is not only doable, it's perfectly viable.

I'm not gonna bother with the rest of your post tbh since it's just more rubbish from a person who clearly hasn't played the game.

Last edited:
I'm done too. You're a gigantic faggot and this is how I'm going to respond from now on:

OLOLOL LE MUHZAKI FEEL SO ARTISM FEDORA SIMULATOR GAY AIDS BLOOD INFECTION VAN HELSING FAGGOT GAEM HUEHUEHEUEHUEHEUHEUEEHU

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What an autistic little shit. :lol: Baby throwing a hissy fit when he loses an argument over a video game that he's never played.
Luckily you're nothing but a dumbass troll with nothing of value to say. Can't believe I wasted my time on a person who pretended that he's played Bloodborne but was only perpetuating idiotic /v/ memes created by butthurt poorfags.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hey guys, I came to see what's new about DS3 in this thr-

:what:

leql4SM.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom