Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANNO 2205 - bam zoom straight to the Moon

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Game warned me about dangers of epilepsy. Came in handy. Combat missions is beyond awful and other parts are damn boring grind.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So for some reason I decided to get enough pop to build the corporation HQ.

Utter disappointment was all that follows, it just sits there draining resources, doing absolutely nothing.

Rellin

Novice
Anno 2070 sucked me in right away and I wasted many hours on it. This game has not grabbed me at all and I am forcing myself to keep playing hoping I feel it. That said, I know there are no randomly generated maps and I can only ever play through the game once. I am playing on hard and once I beat it, if I can slog through the next 10 to 15 hours of gameplay, I certainly will not want to do it all over again on the exact same maps only with better or more optimal layouts. No fucking way.

made

Arcane
2070 had its own unique charm and pollution added a fun new aspect to the classic formula. In fact, I'm looking for some mods to fire up 2070 again because 2205 got boring real quick for all the reasons already mentioned ITT. No ship trade and constant region swapping killed it for me.

tried it.
the first thing you see is a warning "if you have convulsions and loss of consciousness it'd be better to stop playing". no shit sherlock.
the pixel hunting quests are back, may them be ever damned to hell. the one on the moon had me literally nauseated.
the quests which involve fighting are extremely basic. not as bad as space ranger 2's but pretty close.
a lot of time is spent sitting on the + button waiting for money to cash in.
most of the mechanics have been dumbed down and made more irritating and time consuming, ages are wasted looking at tooltips.
the underwater setting was much more fascinating than a lunar wasteland.
graphics are "modern": lots of details but you can't recognize shit.
i can't judge what's left of the plot: every cutscene had me hammering on the esc button after few seconds in.

still i don't feel it as truly horribad. just an average, passive way to waste time.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
2070 sucked ass,it had reskinned mechanics that didn't make much sense and lacked the charm of 15-17 centuries game.

Truth is this kind of game is just made for the medieval age, micromanaging farms, carts and sailing ship is where it's at. A modern/sci-fi era is inevitably a territory of global macro-trade with sterile esthetics. Unless they go way into the future, MOO2 style, with some whacky ET races and crazy events the charm won't be back.

let me straighten my aim: it's an average, passive browser game, but instead of closing the window and doing something else you have to stare at the game with a weight on the + button.
still not horribad, could be fun for a day or two.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, that's what I feel is the thing they did wrong with the game - try to put a browser game mentality into a full-fledged game. A lot of mechanics are pretty good, actually, upgradeable factories etc is a nice touch, heat management is at the very least curious, but there are things from f2p citybuilders that shouldve been branded out of the game.

In fact though, they can very much be. Hooray for CheatEngine. Hint: all values that should interest you are in Double.

made

Arcane
Truth is this kind of game is just made for the medieval age, micromanaging farms, carts and sailing ship is where it's at. A modern/sci-fi era is inevitably a territory of global macro-trade with sterile esthetics. Unless they go way into the future, MOO2 style, with some whacky ET races and crazy events the charm won't be back.
A setting I would have liked them to use is the Industrial Revolution (which, if they were to stick with their naming scheme, would have to be called Anno 1800). You could start with farms and sailing ships and then gradually tech up to factories and massive steamships bellowing smoke everywhere. But that was before they took the series in this new direction where you can't even build ships in the first place. I can only hope that 2205 flops and they're forced to return to their old ways.

right now, considering what anno 2005 is, the best course of things would be if the series died here.

Vival

Augur
The complete lack of competition is what really kills this. In previous installments that was the main driving force for you to advance through the tech tree and build your industry instead of just of filling everything with peasant ghettos. If you fell behind in the arms race, your competitors would eventually come for you and bring democracy and Mc Donalds to your underdeveloped islands.
Now you just follow along the silly moon colonization plotline. Without that there would be now real motivation to advance your settlements whatsoever. Fucking terrible.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The complete lack of competition is what really kills this. In previous installments that was the main driving force for you to advance through the tech tree and build your industry instead of just of filling everything with peasant ghettos. If you fell behind in the arms race, your competitors would eventually come for you and bring democracy and Mc Donalds to your underdeveloped islands.
Now you just follow along the silly moon colonization plotline. Without that there would be now real motivation to advance your settlements whatsoever. Fucking terrible.
The funny thing is anno 2070 had another reason to advance: the resources on an island would eventually run out, and you'd have to replenish them by building a project in your lab, not to mention various disasters that could happen requiring similar responses.

But no, they cut that out.

Caim

Arcane
:necro:

From what I've seen the combat missions in Anno 2205 are pretty shit. But what's the combat in Anno 2070 like?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

From what I've seen the combat missions in Anno 2205 are pretty shit. But what's the combat in Anno 2070 like?
There are no combat missions. Combat works pretty much the same way, minus the awesome buttons.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There are no combat missions. Combat works pretty much the same way, minus the awesome buttons.
So combat's all on the map ala the first Anno?

Afaik Anno combat mechanics have been essentially the same since forever, definitely for the past three installments. The difference in 2205 is that it's done on special combat mission maps, instead of being integrated in the main map.

Caim

Arcane
Who the fuck KKKombats in Anno?
That's my point. I want to build a colony on an island and manage its resources from raw materials all the way to whatever the top tier stuff you can make is in Anno 2070. I don't want to have to fend off pirates every few minutes, wasting precious city-building time.

J1M

Arcane
Who the fuck KKKombats in Anno?
That's my point. I want to build a colony on an island and manage its resources from raw materials all the way to whatever the top tier stuff you can make is in Anno 2070. I don't want to have to fend off pirates every few minutes, wasting precious city-building time.
Combat is entirely optional in 2205. Although the path of least resistance means you will probably do 3 missions to get the rare materials you want.

Overall, it was somewhat impressive the way you could have so many different maps in play at the same time. Obviously, the routing and city services model was simplified to support this goal. But it is pretty goofy/stupid to keep the idea that your corporation needs 200 workers and 80,000 executives. Or that executives would be satisfied with a 400 sq ft. apartment.

With Anno 1404 I got a lot more out of it, because the different campaign maps could tweak the game mechanics. I was expecting 2205 to make some use of the many factory add-ons, but I found no use for the ones that did anything other than reduce energy and credit costs.

2205 feels as though it was intentionally designed to be something players only play through once, whereas 1404 had a variety of challenges and game modes.

Moving forward, I would like to see an Anno take place during pre-history.

2205 feels as though it was intentionally designed to be something players only play through once, whereas 1404 had a variety of challenges and game modes.

think again. it's clearly been built to be as a browser game with tons of pay-to-win inside, then at the last moment it's been retooled to be a single player.
the waiting, the level gates, lack of internal interactions, the extreme general dumbing down... everything points to "pathetic browser game".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom