Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
It used to look like the Gunslingers one for Wounding Shots but without the targeting thingy.

All the Troopers animations are shit compared to the Bounty Hunters except for Unload / Full Autio...fuck knows why they changed it.
Yeah so I heard. Man I HATE that they did that.

I understand the Trooper animations are shit, but Unload is SO shitty that it's a dealbreaker. If you know what I mean.

Suck it up man, Force Storm was ruined as well.
I can't suck it up if I have to use the same ability every time I go to a mob. Again it's a dealbreaker, no matter how else the other abilities are.

Plus I got cool orange Assault Cannons from the 75CC packs. Very tempted to go Body Type 1 female for the lulz.

Why they didn't just change it to do the damage instantly and keep the old animation (which was much better looking) is a mystery
I just had the same though yesterday lol.

You can now skip the main story with those level 60 tokens. I got one for free because I was subscribed when Knights of the Fallen Empire went live. I'm not sure if you get one for free if you subscribe now and went before it went live. You can buy them on the Cartel Market as well or from the GTN if you got the monies.

Might be a good idea if you want to play a Sorcerer without going through the whole bloody thing again.
Ah! Good idea. So I can level my Shadow.. then play a level 60 Sorcerer.

Terrific idea actually! Thank you very much

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Who would have thought that SWTOR would have the most active released mmo discussion one day.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
If this is still what Blade Rush looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCRHTmXqYQE I'm never playing a Combat Sentinel
Wait until you see the gapcloser they added for lvl 60 or so. For my Guardian it looks like some nerd kid flailing his arms around blindly running into a group of bullies. Since it is a fixed distance with no target to stop it, I ended up getting stuck in walls or falling to my death. While that was some unintended fun, I removed it from my bar. I guess it's meant for PvP.

I understand the Trooper animations are shit, but Unload is SO shitty that it's a dealbreaker
Tell that to my Booty Hunter merc. She holds her guns sideways like some wannabe gangster. Since it's one of my main dmg dealer I have to endure that shit.

Suck it up man, Force Storm was ruined as well. It used to animate a good storm of lightning, now it just tickles the ground for a second. And they had to change Project because of the damage delay they had back then. Shock would hit instantly where as Project had slight delay as the debris has to travel up to 30m to the target before it hit. Why they didn't just change it to do the damage instantly and keep the old animation (which was much better looking) is a mystery.
I take Forcestorm over quake any day, at least I get to hoover in the air while channeling. And yeah project looks stupid now as well, you don't even see what object (or droid) you throw at them. All thanks to PvP whiners and the lack of foresight.

Who would have thought that SWTOR would have the most active released mmo discussion one day.
A new released DLC and heightened interest thanks to a new movie does that to games. Also people are still hoping it will kill WoW after all.

In other notes it dabbled around with Pebbles and Captain Murica a little. Saying "the Consu story gets better after chapter 1" turned out to be "a turd smells better when placed in the fridge" argument. I want to space all my companions and go on a rampage with this amateur hackjob. Feels like I got all the discarded ideas from other stories. I also noted I seem to miss/resisted a lot with my abilities, something the Sorc didn't suffer. But then again I remember the consensus back in the days was pub enemies being "harder" then imps, so it shouldn't surpise me. (Or was it becasue lightning is elemental, while kinetic counts as normal dmg? Can't remember)

And Trooper.... Yes Sir, right away Sir, will do Sir, for democracy Sir. <Catman approves> <Britgirl approves> <Propagandabot approves>

I remember reading something about approve and disapprove both increasing affection, or was that only valid for KotfE companions? Otherwise I will just run around showing everyone the finger, screw companions. Even tho I like my adorable propaganda machine... #4evahAlone

Last edited:

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
I remember reading something about approve and disapprove both increasing affection, or was that only valid for KotfE companions? Otherwise I will just run around showing everyone the finger, screw companions. Even tho I like my adorable propaganda machine... #4evahAlone
I've noticed that with the normal companions...you get a small increase in influence from disapprove options...weird, but then you don't have to worry about the silly buggers getting pissy about you using dark side / light side options any more.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Trooper really has it worst in that regard. All 3 companions want you to be a military drone saying "YES SIR <salute>" every 5 mins. I just mindlessly clicked on the top options that were only short military speak noddings and all my companions got wet panties about me. Sucks if you want to play a renegade man on the edge, a loose cannon, collargrabbing for great justice.

<player grabs collar>
Britgirl: "Sir, this is against regulation 123/3b!" <greatly disapproves>
Catman: "Nobody gave us an order to do that" <greatly disapproves>
'gandaBot: "You didn't kill the vile imp scum!" <greatly disapproves>

I wish we could have kept the KotfE HK unit. He might have been retarded, but at least he was funny.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Trooper really has it worst in that regard. All 3 companions want you to be a military drone saying "YES SIR <salute>" every 5 mins. I just mindlessly clicked on the top options that were only short military speak noddings and all my companions got wet panties about me. Sucks if you want to play a renegade man on the edge, a loose cannon, collargrabbing for great justice.

<player grabs collar>
Britgirl: "Sir, this is against regulation 123/3b!" <greatly disapproves>
Catman: "Nobody gave us an order to do that" <greatly disapproves>
'gandaBot: "You didn't kill the vile imp scum!" <greatly disapproves>

I wish we could have kept the KotfE HK unit. He might have been retarded, but at least he was funny.

You fight for Kwan Republic Army to bring Galaxy the gifts of Democracy and :incloosive: so what you expected? You are not there to have fun. You want collar grabbing and Bond style fun play the Empire Intelligence or Sith Warror paths.... which are the best in game BTW.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
And companion so strong you don't even have to play.
Oh, that's new, and it is quite nice in one aspect, but terrible in another.

1) Get through trash mobs sooo much faster. I don't think this is dumbing down because (solo, leveling) MMO combat has no challenge whatsoever.
2) It is completely overpowered fighting story mode bosses.

However I've realized that putting my companion on passive on #2 makes things a lot better.

Actually a "problem" with KotFE is that Influence doesn't matter. Whatever the case, you will always complete every companion's storyline. On one hand, this is bad because of C&C. On the other hand, you're never going to fucking replay any of the storylines, which means you always get to see more content. So I think it kinda balances things out.

Now, one of the best things about Companion changes in KotFE is that all Companions can heal, damage, and tank. While on paper this sounds dumbed down, it's actually good because of the story-heavy emphasis in SWTOR. It's quite annoying to be forced to take one Companion for gameplay, but then not liking using them at all in "Story" mode. In other words, before-hand gameplay was too tied with what companion you wanted to interact with.

Side note: Gaining Influence all the time isn't really a big deal. If you do something disagreeable, they will only get ~50 influence. If they agree with you, you get ~200 influence. If you compare that to Affection in that you lose affection, it's really pretty similar... There's still a degree of separation between influence and non-influence.

Second note: I only reply to things I disagree with. If I agree with you, I'm usually not going to address it (because you explained it well, so all I can do is add a thumbs up emote). So just take it as I agree with your criticism.

Gregz

Arcane
Welp, I've spent a week playing this game and have gone from excited to completely bored.

I leveled a Juggernaut though the Sith Warrior story, he's 65 now but I don't feel like finishing the expansion story content because it's so boring and I don't care.

Melee DPS'ing through missions/flashpoints/ops of any kind is tedious and boring. Tanking is all work and no appreciation. You do 10x the work of the DPS and get the same rewards, no thanks.

PvP is dumb.

ship-to-ship PvP is just me being target practice (same as the above) for the people who've stuck around since launch (I can't imagine why they did).

Anyway, I don't know if I'm just bored with MMOs or what.

I spent 2+ years on EQ, 1+ years on Anarchy Online, 3+ years on WoW, but for some reason I'm ready to quit SWTOR after 1 week? Either I'm broken or the game is, maybe both.

/blogdex

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Saying "the Consu story gets better after chapter 1" turned out to be "a turd smells better when placed in the fridge" argument.
Did you play LS or DS, though?

I'm hoping that a DS playthrough is better, because you'd be secretly doing evil shit, whereas LS it just seems like it'll be way too straightforward.

One thing I don't like about DS in the Jedi storylines is that DS dialogue seems very chaotic/unsubtle evil (you kill someone for no real reason). The Trooper and the Smuggler DS options seem pretty sensible though. What I'm hoping is that you end up, as a Jedi, doing DS acts that are more on the "reasonable/borderline," similar to the Trooper and the Agent.

Now yeah, Sith Warrior is great. My dialogue choices vary a lot. I always grovel to Baras to not give him suspicions (dunno if it really matters C&C though). On the other hand normally I'll just be a sarcastic twat to others (like trying to make Malavai stop being so by-the-book). Also I hate Jaesa so I'll treat her differently also. Vette somehow became much less whiny as Chapter 1/2 went on. Pierce and Broonmark are just fun

I'm also surprisingly impressed with JK's companions so far. T7 is more entertaining than I expected. Kira has a great voice actress - I expected her to be a Jaesa clone.

I've also heard Smuggler is second best C&C behind Agent. I'll have to see. Though in general it is already quite a fun storyline. Every time I can ask, "Okay, so where's my ship?" I do it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Welp, I've spent a week playing this game and have gone from excited to completely bored.

I leveled a Juggernaut though the Sith Warrior story, he's 65 now but I don't feel like finishing the expansion story content because it's so boring and I don't care.
Yeah I heard the KotFE content is terrible.

Melee DPS'ing through missions/flashpoints/ops of any kind is tedious and boring. Tanking is all work and no appreciation. You do 10x the work of the DPS and get the same rewards, no thanks.
That's how it is PUGging through any MMO. You gotta join a good guild to have appreciative (and strategic) tanking.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm just bored with MMOs or what.
You are bored with MMOs. MMOs are fucking the same thing over and over again. The ONLY reason one would play SWTOR is because of the class-specific storylines. I have ZERO desire to play endgame after that.

(Interestingly enough, a few of the class-specific plots and writing are better than Kotor)

I spent 2+ years on EQ, 1+ years on Anarchy Online, 3+ years on WoW, but for some reason I'm ready to quit SWTOR in 1 week? Either I'm broken or the game is, maybe both.
As above. Mainstream MMOs are broken unless you're playing something different like Anarchy, Eve, DAOC, etc.

Not your fault at all.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Made the mistake today of queueing for a pug on my operative as a healer, ended up with 3 dps idiots who kept shouting "USE KOLTO". It's annoying enough to heal level 44 dps faggots trying to tank the boss without running to the kolto station when they get low, especially when it requires my full attention to keep their health up to a level where they'd be able to run to the fucking kolto stations themselves. I can't see a reason to actually queue as healer for tactical flashpoints anymore, especially for a class like operative who really needs a proper tank so the burst doesn't wreck you.

I'm not sure if the dude that tried tanking actually was wearing armor or if he just was running around with level 1 gear or something, but the boss could burst him down in roughly 4 seconds while my shitty operative heals did 10% of his HP per 2 seconds.

Edit: Either that or I suck massive amounts of dick when healing, but never used to have a problem with it back in WoW and before KotfE.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Made the mistake today of queueing for a pug on my operative as a healer, ended up with 3 dps idiots who kept shouting "USE KOLTO". It's annoying enough to heal level 44 dps faggots trying to tank the boss without running to the kolto station when they get low, especially when it requires my full attention to keep their health up to a level where they'd be able to run to the fucking kolto stations themselves. I can't see a reason to actually queue as healer for tactical flashpoints anymore, especially for a class like operative who really needs a proper tank so the burst doesn't wreck you.

I'm not sure if the dude that tried tanking actually was wearing armor or if he just was running around with level 1 gear or something, but the boss could burst him down in roughly 4 seconds while my shitty operative heals did 10% of his HP per 2 seconds.

Edit: Either that or I suck massive amounts of dick when healing, but never used to have a problem with it back in WoW and before KotfE.
Kolto heals the whole party, that's why, lol.

Your other party members were Marauders, I bet.

Edit: If you never had a problem with healing in WoW, you should not be having trouble in SWTOR. There's like, no such thing as aggro management in this game. WoW was all about aggro management. Not to mention every mob group in a WoW dungeon was a full-fledged difficult encounter. Quite often the hardest part was getting to the boss.

(In raids though the hard part about getting to the boss was trying to stay awake bumbling through the trash)

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
5nurud.jpg

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Kolto heals the whole party, that's why, lol.

Your other party members were Marauders, I bet.

Edit: If you never had a problem with healing in WoW, you should not be having trouble in SWTOR. There's like, no such thing as aggro management in this game. WoW was all about aggro management. Not to mention every mob group in a WoW dungeon was a full-fledged difficult encounter. Quite often the hardest part was getting to the boss.

(In raids though the hard part about getting to the boss was trying to stay awake bumbling through the trash)

I know kolto heals the whole party, but in the time I would have to spend running from kolto station to kolto station the only guy who is taking damage would be dead.

And yes, 2 marauders and 1 inquisitor, and all of them exploded in a rain of blood when the boss as much as sneezed at them.

I miss the finesse from vanilla WoW, I remember doing stratholme undead&living with 5 man back when everybody was just 10-man zergrushing it in the first couple of months. I miss proper crowd control, and you'll never see it in a swtor pug.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Did you play LS or DS, though?
Mixed. But it doesn't matter. Aside from the usual Bioware "consquences", nothing about the story or companions will change. You are still the council's errand girl while they party all night. The "meditation chamber" is wall to wall with the cantina. Yeeeeah, right.

But since the VA is pretty good, it's still the best pick for a free 60 char.

Played Ziost with my JK the other day and it's actually more fun than I remembered. Sage/Sorc may be quicker, but it's the same forcestorm over and over. Boring. Satale's son is a good character with a very good voice actor. Also JK and SW (maybe the 'quisi as well) just fit the whole narrative the best, since everything is about the emperor after fnishing your class quest. One is the archenemy, the other the betrayed "apprentice". If I ever get over the burp style I might run SW through it as well.

That said, I recommend skipping Makeb, Illum and Oricon after finishing your class storyline, and start with the forged alliances chain right away, followed by SoR. Story driven without Makeb's grinding issues.
Still hesitating to start KotfE with one of my old chars, not having my annoying companions to crit the shit out of crewskills and instead having to suffer with green recruits would be a downer.

BTW: is there anything worth buying with common crystals now aside from gifts? Orange starting gear for twinks is not needed and BoP anyway. The equipment from Ziost/Rishi is.... better or at least good enough to not buy the fixed purples. I am touching 1k now with JK so I need to go shopping somehow...

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Still hesitating to start KotfE with one of my old chars, not having my annoying companions to crit the shit out of crewskills and instead having to suffer with green recruits would be a downer.
After chapter nine of KotfE you can get your old companions back, and the new ones you get aren't that hard to get to the 'old' max companion influence level. A couple of gifts and they're at 10 in no time.

BTW: is there anything worth buying with common crystals now aside from gifts? Orange starting gear for twinks is not needed and BoP anyway. The equipment from Ziost/Rishi is.... better or at least good enough to not buy the fixed purples. I am touching 1k now with JK so I need to go shopping somehow...
Decorations for your stronghold if you're into that kind of thing, and besides that some stuff after you finish KotfE. Can also buy exotic crafting materials on Odessen.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
It may be hard to believe but I completely skipped Strongholds. And galactic starfighter. I am also surprised I have the "Founder" title, since I certainly wasn't among the first to play, nor did I sub after the free month back then. Not that I use it, "Bringer of War" sounds so much better. :obviously:

So what exactly is blocked after you start KotfE? Obviously class story and companion quests if you haven't done that.
Planetary stories seem to be open (at least my free 60 could see the purple quest markers over npc heads). What about preludes like "Forged Alliances" and the SoR and RothC DLCs? Not that I would ever do them, but barring yourself from something triggers the completionist in me.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
It may be hard to believe but I completely skipped Strongholds. And galactic starfighter. I am also surprised I have the "Founder" title, since I certainly wasn't among the first to play, nor did I sub after the free month back then. Not that I use it, "Bringer of War" sounds so much better. :obviously:

So what exactly is blocked after you start KotfE? Obviously class story and companion quests if you haven't done that.
Planetary stories seem to be open (at least my free 60 could see the purple quest markers over npc heads). What about preludes like "Forged Alliances" and the SoR and RothC DLCs? Not that I would ever do them, but barring yourself from something triggers the completionist in me.

Stolen from reddit:

Locked Content
The following content will be locked and unavailable if you choose to start the "Knights of the Fallen Empire" story by clicking the purple "Chapter 1" button. You can do this content after October 27 if you don't start the new storyline.

• Class story (Prologue, Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and Chapter 3)
  • All companion stories so far
  • "Forged Alliances" storyline
  • "Shadow of Revan" storyline
  • Ziost storyline
It is recommended that you complete the Ilum, "Rise of the Hutt Cartel," and Oricon storylines before starting the "Shadow of Revan" storyline, since "Shadow of Revan" depends on those storylines.

Side missions and weeklies will still be available after you start the new storyline.

And I can understand you skipping strongholds, but at least make sure you have one with a player storage, a legacy storage, a mailbox and a vendor for all your item-organizing needs. Quality of life improvement, to be honest. Also gives you the option to travel from there to the fleet, your ship, or back to wherever you ported to your stronghold. If you have money to spare you can even get a GTN terminal in there, but I haven't bothered.

SPFvz0k.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, your stronghold is a vastly more efficient travel hub than your starship. Weird as that sounds.
Yeah, it makes the Fleet Pass pointless.

But I use the Fleet Pass anyways to save myself 10 seconds :lol:

Most important thing is the Legacy Storage IMO. Lets all you characters access the same bank (regardless of faction). No more mailing shit around... Besides credits, which is annoying...

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Anyone on Red Eclipse? Checking again, in case anyone wants to circle-jerk in guild chat. We have an Imperial guild. Need one more player and I can get us a guild bank. I'm guildmaster, which is funny because I don't remember being one... It was a long while ago when we were active. It's just me and Codexia (who the fuck are you here btw?) right now. Before, @Bruticus and Ulminati were playin. Matt7895 needs to hit me up, too.

No Republic guild however. But I will be active Pub side as I do all their storylines, so I'm willing to form a Pub guild.

You can contact me:

Imperial Side, I'm always on Lubes. (My Legacy name is "Flystalker" so, yes, I'm Lubes Flystalker. I also have A'napkin Flystalker.)

But I also alternate to leveling my Republic Side toons, who are: "Bro-Sef," "Marawanda," "Fems-hep," and "Mahl-Lawd"

Deleted member 7219

Anyone on Red Eclipse? Checking again, in case anyone wants to circle-jerk in guild chat. We have an Imperial guild. Need one more player and I can get us a guild bank. I'm guildmaster, which is funny because I don't remember being one... It was a long while ago when we were active. It's just me and Codexia (who the fuck are you here btw?) right now. Before, @Bruticus and Ulminati were playin. Matt7895 needs to hit me up, too.

No Republic guild however. But I will be active Pub side as I do all their storylines, so I'm willing to form a Pub guild.

You can contact me:

Imperial Side, I'm always on Lubes. (My Legacy name is "Flystalker" so, yes, I'm Lubes Flystalker. I also have A'napkin Flystalker.)

But I also alternate to leveling my Republic Side toons, who are: "Bro-Sef," "Marawanda," "Fems-hep," and "Mahl-Lawd"

Logging in now on my BH Breld (currently levelling).

Names of Imp characters:

Breld (Merc), Vilrost (Jugg), Krenchrada (Sniper), Shudder (Sorc)

Rep:

Tarnith (Sen), Leyaana (Comm)

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Turns out I have my own guild on the Red Eclipse, "The Cynical Armada", 24 members. Guess I inherited it. But most of my chars are on Tomb of Freedom Nadd unfortunately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom