Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bandwith cost of dll the demo

Kraszu

Prophet
Maybe I misunderstand but VD told some ridiculous cost of band witch (cost of each download of AoD demo), why not use Torrent at least as an alternative way of downloading? Other companies do it like Blizzard.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Since I've never said anything about bandwidth costs, it's safe to assume that you misunderstood something.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Seems you've misunderstood Kraszu's question. There was nothing about bandwidth.

Well, back to playing Loki...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Well, technically he asked me about the costs of employing a band witch who would curse our enemies and perform all kinda awesome voodoo shit, but this stuff is private and I can't comment on it at this point.

Nedrah

Erudite
You should still go with the torrent idea, it's always nice to see torrents used for things that are not warez. Oh, and it works kind of nicely, too.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Quite a few people can't use torrents because their network blocks them.

Why not just upload the demo to rapidshare or megaupload?

Nedrah

Erudite
Good point Jasede.
I was assuming that would be done in addition to making it available via torrents by us users or by VD & co themselves.
Kind of funny we're having a thread about this, anyways. From all we know, AOD could well be 2 years away, yet. ;)

Kraszu

Prophet
It can be alternative method. Rapidshare or megaupload should be avoided becouse of the hassle that you have to go thought, it would not look to professionally also.

Vault Dweller said:
Since I've never said anything about bandwidth costs, it's safe to assume that you misunderstood something.

You posted about costs of steam distribution, and self distribution but it was some time ago. Anyway Torrent is great becouse everybody can use they connection to upload, and if you limit upload your download does not go down (50% of max for me) so there is no problem whit having it on when you do something else on pc.

Nedrah

Erudite
Yeah, rapidshare/megaupload does look pretty unprofessional. It might be better if you just offer it for those people who are behind restrictive firewalls, but obviously it would be better to have a dedicated host. However, if you offer this at decent speeds, forget about anyone using torrents. There are free hosts that are better than others, filecloud is pretty decent imo for example - but I think the best way still remains mainly torrent. Or open-source it and host it at sourceforge :D

(kidding)

Special_Can

Scholar
Nedrah said:
Kind of funny we're having a thread about this, anyways. From all we know, AOD could well be 2 years away, yet. ;)

No, it can't be. This will not happen...

I wan't Band Witch to appear in the game now. She's not really a witch, she just thinks she is a witch because she can burn rubber...you can put her in her place. "You no witch, rubberburner!!!".

Yeah. Nice.

jeansberg

Liturgist
I don't know how this stuff works, but couldn't you let the likes of fileplanet or filefront host it, in addition to having a torrent?

Mech

Cipher
jeansberg said:
I don't know how this stuff works, but couldn't you let the likes of fileplanet or filefront host it, in addition to having a torrent?
Ya thats what I was thinkining.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom