Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Lol, so dissapointed he's praising the base building feature. I don't even get what the fuck is the point of it all beside being a waste of time.

It has the same point as every other feature in every other video game ever made: To help us forget that death is inevitable.

The key difference being that after a session of Fallout 4, the fact that one day you will never open your eyes again actually becomes a cheerful and exciting prospect.

Zeriel

Arcane
wat

You mean like those recharging laser rifle in NV? Or actual guns that shoot bunches of lead?

More depressing than that, you can find unique (essentially: magical weapons from Skyrim) weapon drops that have special characteristics, one is never having to reload.

It has the same point as every other feature in every other video game ever made: To help us forget that death is inevitable.

The key difference being that after a session of Fallout 4, the fact that one day you will never open your eyes again actually becomes a cheerful and exciting prospect.

Can confirm.

Can someone explain what's the point of the settlement management?
Like...does it give you some bonus, some consequences in quest design, more resources, stuff like that?

They store excess food and water for you to take (so scale up to the best water quickly), scavenge junk for you to use in crafting, make income and sell you supplies.

Some are more useful than others, as the scavenging stations have yet to bring me stuff I couldn't find in two minutes at a random burned out house. Maybe I'm unlucky that way.

Reinar

Scholar
Is this the "story told by scenery" appraised by so many? I really hope the idea here wasn't "they died 200 years ago to a nuclear blast, but his cigar remained intact (as did the house)" but something like "raiders killed them few years ago and someone recently put that cigar in for fun". Anyway, is it even possible for skeletons to remain in such positions? The head especially.

5mMJLMZ.png

Monad

Learned
I'm not sure wanting to take a break from an intense moment in a game is a bad thing. I remember playing ocarina of time as a kid and wanting to take a break after finishing a temple. The boss fights were harrowing and intense at the time but also very memorable.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The story sucked so bad once in DC that I'm in shock. Do you think every character being a caricature is intentional or just writers' incompetence? What sort of stupid concept is it to have a pseudo - hardboiled novel style archetypal "corrupt city" in a post-apoc game with a 50s atmosphere? Who was the moron who wrote the conversation at the end, and who thought that a city would be ruled by some sort of "mayor"? Looking back at FO2, the cities and societies there were much better though out.

Perkel

Arcane
Can someone explain what's the point of the settlement management?
Like...does it give you some bonus, some consequences in quest design, more resources, stuff like that?

It fills certain niche.

Normally it is just time/money sink with bonus like shops and money later. (also as i understand some quest require it (but not main))

For me it is perfect way to say fuck you to main quest or quests in general and just explore shit around build cities etc.
Spare ammo, weapons and armor for settlers to defend themselves. Loot for scraps to build stuff.

Imo with system in place for everything modders in year or two will be doing with this amazing things like wars etc.

You're happy with 20 fps? Oh boy.

That was on ultra. Change few things, there is almost 0 impact graphically and framerate doesn't dip and i play locked 50 fps without dips.

That is 7970 a 2011 gpu...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
/wonders why he's still bearing the Bethestard tag when all of these other Bethestards without tags are actually playing the game... for... 'research purposes of course...

Zeriel

Arcane
200-2-1447297845.jpg

Have to say that's some nice looking power armor there

Have fun only being able to wear it for a limited time. Heh, that's an especially funny design choice considering how many people play Bethesda games for hundreds of hours in the post-game.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I'm not sure wanting to take a break from an intense moment in a game is a bad thing. I remember playing ocarina of time as a kid and wanting to take a break after finishing a temple. The boss fights were harrowing and intense at the time but also very memorable.

OoT had the most boring, easy boss fights I had seen at the time. They really killed my enjoyment of that game.

Beastro

Arcane
Is this the "story told by scenery" appraised by so many? I really hope the idea here wasn't "they died 200 years ago to a nuclear blast, but his cigar remained intact (as did the house)" but something like "raiders killed them few years ago and someone recently put that cigar in for fun". Anyway, is it even possible for skeletons to remain in such positions? The head especially.

5mMJLMZ.png

They're in a wooden building still up for 200 years. In a game where a crashed veritbird and power armour have been sitting since the war untouched on top of a building still standing after all that time. What do you think?

No. Bones are just a pile of pieces without ligaments and muscle holding them in place.

potatojohn

Arcane
Have fun only being able to wear it for a limited time. Heh, that's an especially funny design choice considering how many people play Bethesda games for hundreds of hours in the post-game.
You don't need fuel to use it I believe.

Alfons

Prophet
200-2-1447297845.jpg

Have to say that's some nice looking power armor there
It's too bad it runs on gas.

Just watched the actual start of the game. I must say, they do a nice job of shattering expectations early. Some shitty war lecture then we immediately cut to a guy checking out his shave...ok. The steam clears out, for some reason the guy tells his mirror that war never changes and as he does that his wife walks in to tell him some encouraging bullshit. Then it hits me, this is going to be a fucking sitcom. Something else is happening, but for the next 5 minutes I'm wondering why the fuck a fallout game starts the same way as an 80's tv show pilot.

baturinsky

Arcane
Lol, so dissapointed he's praising the base building feature. I don't even get what the fuck is the point of it all beside being a waste of time.
Things that settlements can be useful for:
1. Scrapping things in it for raw materials. Generates huge amount of wood and steel and some others.
2. Crop fields. Have to be picked by hand, but you can choose what and where to grow.
3. Purified water. Generated automatically if you have wate sources built
4. Adhesive - build from 1. and 2. Very handy
5. In theory, bottlecap profit from trade posts, but it looks to be very small.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom