Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
IF I were to play this with you nigs, probably the most important detail is the number of steps and cybershekels needed to larp a Tusken Raider.
You won't be able to pay CCs for Tusken Raider for now, it's not available at the current time. You can probably though get it off the GTN/auction house and the equal alternative is how RK47 mentioned you can get it from the Social Vendor, and Bliblablubb if we just run Flashpoints as a guild, we won't have to deal with pubs. (In fact I don't think I could've played WoW if I didn't join an awesome, awesome guild who I actually met up with in person. They were military networking guys, very cool people. Actually a lot of military guys play MMOs, and they really are the best because of their humility, the ability to not get angry over failures, and teamwork).

Basically, no steps. It's just whether you pay via real money, pay on the auction house, or pay via in-game money. Requiring Social levels but like I said I doubt it'll be an issue if we run together without randoms. Could just run the first Flashpoint again and again because there's a lot of dialogue.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
See here: http://tor-fashion.com/sand-people/

Basically Social level 3 which isn't that hard to get, but you'll have to group to do...just run Black Talon flashpoint a few dozen times with a 4 man group. After that travel to Tatooine, and go to the cantana in the main settlement. Vendor sells all the bits for a small-ish price (can't remember of the top of my head). You'll still need a Waist and Wrist item as they don't have one in this set.
Yeah. But again keep in mind, with 4 man friend/guild groups. Actually I've been able to solo the Tactical version with just me and my companion, because companions are OP... which means just having two guildies/friends will make it work, and you'll have fun as opposed to dealing with shitty randoms.

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
Yeah. But again keep in mind, with 4 man friend/guild groups. Actually I've been able to solo the Tactical version with just me and my companion, because companions are OP... which means just having two guildies/friends will make it work, and you'll have fun as opposed to dealing with shitty randoms.
Black Talon was always easy...you could easily it do solo by level 14 back at release...back when it was fun to do Heroic's solo because they were a real challenge. Now it's just grind, grind, grind...nothing puts up a challenge any more. Hell the World Bosses are pussies now...dropped Trapjaw with 5 people the other day in less than 3 minutes! And that's without companions and everyone auto-levelled down.

One thing though about the Heroics. Now that they are Weekly rather than Daily I'd advice only doing them to help you level and if you are going to take more than a week to complete a Class story. The reason being that once you are in the 'end' game, those Heroics drop mats for the Knights of the Fallen Empire. Really helpful with gearing and you'll get a metric fuck-ton of legacy gear and loads of Radiant and Glowing crystals to buy gear with. I got all 4 of the 'advisers' to level 10 in one go with just one weeks worth of Heroics.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, there is also a Sand People Pillager outfit which currently can be bought on GTN for measly 3M cybershekels.
I have no idea what the currency scale in this game is like, so is measly being ironic or factual? Pillager set definately looks more stylish (its the facemask not having a hueg canister that seals it, both look a little cartoonish), though best facemask for Tusken Raider larp based on that site is on the Tusken Raider Bloodguard, and I have no idea how much Cartel shit that'd take.

hakuroshi

Augur
I have no idea what the currency scale in this game is like, so is measly being ironic or factual? Pillager set definately looks more stylish (its the facemask not having a hueg canister that seals it, both look a little cartoonish), though best facemask for Tusken Raider larp based on that site is on the Tusken Raider Bloodguard, and I have no idea how much Cartel shit that'd take.

Ironic unfortunately. Unless you a sub you even cannot have that much money at once unless paying more money... that is complicated. While that is not very much really, and some people claim to make 1-2 mil per day of grind it is certainly not the cheapest outfit. Dune Stalker which is somewhat in same style is only 100-150K.
Bloodguard as far as I can tell is not for sale on GTN and can be got only through events... one of which - Rakghoul plague is currently running.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Ironic unfortunately. Unless you a sub you even cannot have that much money at once unless paying more money... that is complicated.
Bloodguard as far as I can tell is not for sale on GTN and can be got only through events... one of which - Rakghoul plague is currently running.
Yeah, that's the advantage of a sub, you get 500CC (+100 for Security Key) per month. I think a sub is worth it if you enjoy the game enough.... though I wouldn't say the game quality is worth $15, but because F2P and Preferred is too limited. Half or so of the class storylines are pretty good - honestly I consider it a single player non-C&C RPG. I guess if you manage to play through all of them in two months, you'd be spending $30 on a decent single player which isn't terrible. Probably could do it in 1 month if you have the time, energy, and don't get bored.

Actually I take it back, Preferred really isn't so bad. It does have a good amount of advantages over F2P. All you have to buy something off the Market, and you automatically upgrade from F2P to Preferred forever. Also several achievements give you 20CC (Bliblablubb can fill you in because I can't remember), so you don't even need to pay real $$. And I know there's a pack you can get for 75CC - the "Grand Weapon Pack" in which you get a random weapon (which is actually pretty good, I've managed to make 500k-1mil off some, or just keep them if they look cool). There may be something even cheaper.

And then honestly the Cartel Market is 99% for cosmetics. If you play without a sub, you still get to play the best part of the game, the storylines (*cough* the only good part of the game *cough*). There are better games for endgame PVE and any PVP.

I ain't gonna defend SWTOR except that I enjoy the single-player stories. Mainly worth it if you're outta other games to play and waiting for incoming games

And/or you're a Star Wars fanboi.

---

Secondly you may consider a semi $10-15 sub because 500CC is $5. In other words if you buy stuff off the CC - whether to keep the item or to sell it, you could consider it a $10 sub.

Otherwise if you don't give a rat's ass about the Cartel Market, it's a $15 sub lol.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Yeah, I bought a 2 month subscription (Force Awakens hype got me, sue me) - decided to pay up, so as ot to feel like second class citicen. I must say I am quite enjoying myself with the stories, especially Sith Warrior and Smuggler so far. I too play it as a single player game, although I see some potential in Flashpoint missions.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

So give me a rundown on a couple of things then for considering a vacation in a galaxy far far away:

1) The Tusken Raider stuff is cosmetic, or is cosmetics and gear completely disconnected?
2) What are the important differences between Preferred and Sub?
3) Can I get bribed by Codexers with a Tusken Raider Pillager outfit?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So give me a rundown on a couple of things then for considering a vacation in a galaxy far far away:

1) The Tusken Raider stuff is cosmetic, or is cosmetics and gear completely disconnected?
3) Can I get bribed by Codexers with a Tusken Raider Pillager outfit?
1) Well
(A) the Tusken Raider stuff (and all of the Cartel Market I think) are "adaptive" and "custom" armor, which means you can slot in any mods and stuff in them. Basically you keep up with the mods they'll be as good as regular equipment (or better).
(B) There's also an outfit system now, like in LOTR Online, so you can walk around in whatever looking armor you want while you have your actual stat gear hidden. Good stuff... if only most of the armor didn't look retarded.

2) and 3) I'll find out and answer later

Jensen

Novice
You can use my referral link. You will be subscribed to SW:TOR for 7 days, and after that your account will become 'preferred'. Yo will also get some goodies (more inventory space, some unlocks and other stuff). And if you subscribe for a month or two after that link, I will get something from it too.
My referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/DgMbXG

Differences between f2p, preferred and subscriber are in the link below:
https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/f2p

I came back to SW:TOR some time ago, I've got referral link from someone else, then I bought 2 months of subscription. I am enjoying class stories (reason why I play really), and I don't care about flashpoints, warzones, pvp and other stuff. Just stories.
I will probably stay as preferred soon, do some 1-50 class stories and then maybe subscribe for a month or so. But still class stories is why I play this game.

Vaarna_Aarne

5nurud.jpg

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

Extra action bars
Ability to hide helmets
Access to epic level items (whatever is the equivalent in SWTOR)
Access to weapon hilt/barrel mods at token vendors
3 professions instead of 2
14 character slot per server instead of 3 or 4
All races available
First time subbing you get all the expansions and keep them even if sub runs out
Ability to gain more than 250 000 shekels
Can buy inventory space with shekels instead of cartel coins
"Free cartel coins monthly"
More XP (though scaling makes this pointless)
Can post more than 3 auctions in AH

That's what I remember off-hand.

Stokowski

Arcane
f2p is like trying to drive a sports car with handcuffs on.
Preferred merely gives the handcuffs a velvet lining.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
When I clicked on some fansite's ref link a while ago (seemed like a good way to support them), I got a bag mailed to all my characters that would give me some sub benefits even if I drop back to pref. I think it was unify colors as well, which is a must have if you don't want to look like a clown.

The main downsides of pref were always lower xp gain and limits how many OPs/space railshooters you can run per week. Nobody does OPs and levelscaling makes lower xp gain unneeded as well, especially if you play for the first time and do every fucking quest you can get. Plus subbing now unlocks SoR as well, so you have enough story missions to get to lvl65 with ease.

I never use more than 2 bars anyway, some classes don't even need more than one. Also companions do all the fighting, you might as well fill you hotbar with emotes to pass the time.

Tradeskills are not really needed. Pick slicing on all chars for extra moneyz, you can always level treashur hunting/diplo/investigashun on other chars later and leave the real crafting to people with too much time.

Also regarding armor and looks: SWTOR has two seperate slots for that now. You can put the tusken set without mods in your fashion slot and some ugly orange garbage in your armor slots for leveling. Or just take the quest reward armors if you don't want to bother with mods. Crystal vendors only sell green quality mods now, so they are shit anyway. My JK still has close to 1000 common crystals, so unless mods are bound now I could outfit you every 10 levels or so.

Also several achievements give you 20CC (Bliblablubb can fill you in because I can't remember)
IIRC Finishing first chapter gives 20 CC each time, doing BT/SL for the first time (once per legacy), maybe even each following chapters as well. Woulld need to look but legacy interface is a pita. So it would be at least 200 CC if you bring each class to his personal spaceship plus one BT/SL run each. Far too much time if you just want the CC, but a nice bonus if you do it anyway.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So how do I get invitation to the Red Eclipse Codex guild?
My Imp main is "Lubes" but I just went back to leveling some Republic alts. However, everyone else in the guild should be able to invite.

Still, add "Lubes" to your friends list and if you see me, hit me with a private message. He's my bank pig/GTN seller so I pop up on him every so often.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
My Imp main is "Lubes" but I just went back to leveling some Republic alts. However, everyone else in the guild should be able to invite.

Still, add "Lubes" to your friends list and if you see me, hit me with a private message. He's my bank pig/GTN seller so I pop up on him every so often.

I've added him already, but I guess I'm very unlucky since we're never online at same times. Was wondering if there was alternative invitation names as well. :P

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So how is EU roleplaying server these days? Because I just might give up on it and roll a new Legacy on Red Eclipse with new characters.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
There's actually RP servers? I know all my chars were on RP and RP-PVP servers and got rolled into PvE and PvP servers respectively

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
The Progenitor (the one true Codex server) is still quite busy as a RP-PvE server, especially since the new expansion...200+ on fleet in the evenings, multiple instances of several worlds, even 100+ on Balamora the other day. Not a huge amount of RP going on out in the world though, mainly in the bars, but it is there. Most of it is in the Strongholds now. There is also quite a bit of cross faction stuff attacking each others bases, usually on Tatooine for some reason.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The Progenitor (the one true Codex server) is still quite busy as a RP-PvE server, especially since the new expansion...200+ on fleet in the evenings, multiple instances of several worlds, even 100+ on Balamora the other day. Not a huge amount of RP going on out in the world though, mainly in the bars, but it is there. Most of it is in the Strongholds now. There is also quite a bit of cross faction stuff attacking each others bases, usually on Tatooine for some reason.
Nobody cares.

Anyways the SHEPARDS OF DIVERSITY now have an almost empty Guild Bank and a completely empty Guild Stronghold on Dromund Kaas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom