Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Journey to the center of Arcanum concept pitch

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Now is the time to ask the question I wanted to ask so many years ago.

TimCain, why does the release version of the game have sprite mirroring with no in-game option to disable it, even though the art assets still have all 8 rotations? That's a waste of a couple hundred MB. Enough to include playable female gnomes/halflings. Eventually, when dicking around the code in a debugger I was able to find the flag which disables sprite mirroring. There was no noticeable performance impact, so I have sprite mirroring disabled in both my unofficial patch and the high resolution patch.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
You people are my best buddies. Seriously, I wish my relatives remembered this much about me after so long.

Or maybe it was not just Wyrmlord who kept .txts with thread links on various forum members.

TimCain

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
why does the release version of the game have sprite mirroring with no in-game option to disable it, even though the art assets still have all 8 rotations? That's a waste of a couple hundred MB. Enough to include playable female gnomes/halflings.

We added sprite mirroring to reduce video memory usage. We only loaded the first five rotations and then mirrored the middle three, which saved vram. We left the art on disk with the intention of adding an option later to disable mirroring, but other fixes took priority in the patches.

We never made female gnome or halfling art because we didn't have artist time, not because we didn't have disk space.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
It's cool to live in this new age where you can ask Tim Cain a question and he nonchalantly responds.

TimCain, if I can argue this point some more, I'd like to note that you already had a female gnome model and another one for female halfling (used by NPCs), both in plain clothing, with dagger/pistol animations. Seeing that all the models pretty much use the same skeletons/animations, this was "only" the question of making armored varieties. Guess you were really strapped for time.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I wonder if TimCain still has backups with art assets? I remember there being some discussion about licenses still being held by a publisher, but code being owned by Tim.

I have no such document in my archives, but I will admit my archives are not complete. I lost some files in a hard drive failure in 2004 or 2005.

[Persuasion] What would happen if another hard disk failure wiped the rest of remaining files? It happened to me once and I lost many of my old photos. Maybe it would be prudent to store them somewhere where time and accidents won't get them. That would be Codex.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
[Persuasion] What would happen if another hard disk failure wiped the rest of remaining files? It happened to me once and I lost many of my old photos. Maybe it would be prudent to store them somewhere where time and accidents won't get them. That would be Codex.
I'd wager a guess and say that Tim Cain being a tech nut probably has all his important stuff stashed somewhere in the cloud, probably in password protected RAR files. That's AES 128 encryption.

That's what I do with my stuff, anyway.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Got to say, since the man is here himself: Well done on the switcheroo with Arronax, signposted throughout the game and so obvious in hindsight, but I genuinely was oblivious until I found Arronax. Few games that get one over on me like that, especially when its so well hinted at.

kaizoku

Arcane
TimCain

- what went wrong with Pillars of Eternity?

- why did MCA left?

And thanks for all the amazing games you've put out there.

curry

Arcane
I have three or four treatments for JttCoA, and they are all different. One I remember writing, and it is full of game system ideas, for skills and attribute changes. Another is written from the basis of using the Tribes engine instead of Source. Neither of those went to publishers either. We just wrote them as a "what if?" scenario to toss around during design meetings.
Can you upload them for our amusement?

Deleted member 7219

Tim Cain, Chris Avellone, Colin McComb, Kevin Saunders and George Ziets have all made the journey down from the mountain to speak to the unwashed Codex masses.

Who are we missing? Boyarsky, Anderson? We need to collect all the RPG incline there has ever been and trap it somehow.

Would be nice to get some of the other Interplay guys who have worked on Obsidian games like Scott Everts and Brian Menze. And New Vegas alumni like John Gonzalez and Travis Stout. Imagine what they could do if they could make another Fallout game. But I digress...

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
So this was authentic, I stand corrected. My apologies, Drog.

Fucking awesome place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom