Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
:lol: if it works. Cause it seems so obvious that I did not offer it as a possible solution.
That's how I 'solved' it
since the gate is made of bars you can look through it, since you can look through it you can teleport people behind it.... Almost all puzzles can be completely broken by winged feet and teleport

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
:lol: Doesn't work. Guess bug?
There are two gates into that area, one is made of iron bars and the other is a solid wooden one. The one with bars is at the south end of the room, just move yourself there and teleport a partymember through

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interview on console port: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/259483/A_PC_game_for_consoles_Remaking_Divinity_Original_Sin.php

A PC game for consoles: Remaking Divinity: Original Sin

What kind of market research, or just general research, did you do in deciding whether you should do a new version of the game? What did you see out there that made you think this is a worthwhile thing to do?

Swen Vincke: The fact that nobody did it was pretty much the reason. We didn’t know whether or not there was an audience for it. There was nobody else doing an RPG like this on console, so we figured there were people who liked “traditional” RPGs, if you’d like to put it that way, that exist on PC. We thought if we made it for them, they might want to pick it up.

In general, when you’re in crowded markets, you tend to look for what’s called the blue oceans. You want to go somewhere where there is no competition. We saw that there was no competition for a game like Original Sin on console. We knew we had good content, because people on PC liked it. So we managed to convert it to console in order to appeal to people who like this type of game.

On top of that, we had a feature that was very special for console, that being the split screen co-op, a very key part of it. That feature was actually part of the original vision for the game—a game that you can play together on one screen.

What do you think is keeping other PC-centric developers from launching a game on a console, or remaking a game for a console?

The thing is it’s pretty hard! If we were going to have to make a game like Original Sin from scratch, targeting both PC and console at the same time [at launch], I don’t think we’d have managed to make as good of a game as we did. We spent a lot of time and work making the Enhanced Edition. It was not something that was straightforward.

If you’ve played the PC and the console version, there’s quite a bit of transition between the two. It’s a completely different UI. We didn’t compromise on any of the gameplay systems. But it did take quite a lot of work before we got to something that was working well. So the investment you have to do for that is quite high. Plus, on top of that, you have to add all of the typical console things, like TRC, a lot more QA. It’s a very expensive operation. And you’re not exactly sure if you make something PC-centric, if it’s going to work or not.

How long was development on this again?

We started right away [after the June launch of the original Divinity: Original Sin], and we ended last month. And we’re still working on it because now we’re doing the patches. About 40 people worked full-time on this.

Now that it’s launched and you’ve seen how it’s performing in the market, are you seeing that it was worthwhile, financially, for the company?

Well we had a publisher for the console version [Focus Home Interactive], so that gave us some freedom. In that sense, we’re sure that the bills are paid for development.

I think it’s going to be profitable, because it scored really high with the critics. It’s scoring an 89 on Metacritic for PS4. For a turn-based RPG on console, that’s not a given. So I’m really proud of the team for that.

We achieved a whole bunch of things at the same time: critical recognition and validation that you can do this kind of game on a console, and it doesn’t have to suck. Also, now our engine supports console, and a controller. Original Sin 2 is running the same engine, so if we see it’s worthwhile, we’ll be able to port it to consoles. Our engine is a lot leaner now because of the port—it’s a lot faster, and we can do much more with it. I think it was a good move—I’m quite happy with it.

It was an interesting business decision to give the Enhanced Edition away to people who already own the original version on PC. Why did that make sense for you to do that.

You have to see that for us, this was a new game on console, then obviously you could reverse the port and bring it back to PC. So we had to think about what to do for the existing customers who have already bought Original Sin. Those are the same guys who make a lot of stuff possible for us—so are we really going to charge them for a vastly enhanced edition of the game, even though there’s a lot of investment that went into it?

Since we already recuperated on the console market, we figured that would be too much, charging existing customers full price. We’re not really fans of DLC and upgrades, so you know what? We just made this for a new audience [on consoles], and we’ll also give it to our fans, and hopefully they’ll appreciate it, play it again, and help us out when the next game comes out.

What advice would you give other PC-centric studios who are considering doing something similar—studios that are thinking of releasing a game on console?

Treat [the console version] as well as your PC version. Don’t try to make a quick port—go and rethink it completely for a console controller, rethink it completely for a television. If you look at Original Sin on a TV screen, you’ll see that everything has been made more readable from a further distance. That’s expensive, and it takes a lot of time. If you don’t do that, then you shouldn’t bother, because console player won’t like it anyway.

Console players need to feel like the console is an important platform to you. This is thing that PC players have always been complaining about with console ports, right? That [console ports] don’t adapt well to PC. Well, the same thing goes vice versa.

Athelas

Arcane
No definitive statement on how well the console versions sold, huh?

What do you think is keeping other PC-centric developers from launching a game on a console, or remaking a game for a console?
What an odd question to ask in an age where it feels like almost every new game is a multi-platform release.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
40 people, 15 months of development. Yipe. Wasteland 2 DC was probably more like 5 people.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
Well, to be fair, D:OS EE has a much reworked endgame, apparently a better received UI on consoles and is using their own in-house engine, so I guess a lot of work went into this alone.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Too bad they made the endgame worse and didn't fix any of the ease-of-use things PC players care about. :M

Gord

Arcane
Have not reached the endgame, so can't comment on that yet.
They did fix several ease-of-use issues for pc players though, so...

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
That's how I 'solved' it
since the gate is made of bars you can look through it, since you can look through it you can teleport people behind it.... Almost all puzzles can be completely broken by winged feet and teleport
Implying the best part of the game isn't exploiting with Walk in Shadows, Teleport, and Teleport Pyramid.

My favorite thing is teleporting enemies to the other side of a gate. And then teleporting another enemy on top of him so they both get knocked down. Then teleport an oil barrel and a candle or something on 'em.

Did an enemy just escape my electrified puddle? That's okay, I'll just teleport him back into it.

Want to avoid a bunch of trash mobs? Solo your sneaky character past them and then Teleport Pyramid your party over to him.

Ah, teleport.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Implying the best part of the game isn't exploiting with Walk in Shadows, Teleport, and Teleport Pyramid.

My favorite thing is teleporting enemies to the other side of a gate. And then teleporting another enemy on top of him so they both get knocked down. Then teleport an oil barrel and a candle or something on 'em.

Did an enemy just escape my electrified puddle? That's okay, I'll just teleport him back into it.

Want to avoid a bunch of trash mobs? Solo your sneaky character past them and then Teleport Pyramid your party over to him.

Ah, teleport.
Exactly, still boggles my mind how many people completely miss the point of D:OS.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game just downloaded a 1.2 GB update on Steam but I can't find any patch notes anywhere..

SniperHF

Arcane
Plugging a mod for one of my fellow D:OS pre-ee modders. He's been working on this rebalance and enhancement mod for the EE called Scales.

http://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin/mods/68/?

This mod adds and rebalances many skills, items, status effects, talent requirements, and various other things to make weak things better and overpowered stuff less effective. My primary motivation is to balance the game, but also to make combat and loot more complex and fun. I'm only editing stats files and lsb files, which do not require the editor, but there's still quite a bit I can do. Quite a lot I can't, as well, but you can make a request and I'll see if I can change something. Feedback is very much appreciated. Let me know if I made any changes that I didn't note here (probably did), if anything isn't working or unbalanced, or future changes you'd to see. I really have no idea how the accumulation of all these changes and additions will affect the game as a whole, so don't expect perfect balance. As such, consider this mod in beta.

This mod is largely intended for Tactician mode, but everything should work well enough in Normal mode as well. The only thing that might be kind of overpowered in normal mode is the increased status effect application chance on weapons (though not by much.)

SniperHF

Arcane
The patch will almost certainly coincide with the Mac/Linux version. I expect it's held up because of that.

Good job pestering them though, someone's gotta do it, :greatjob:.

Far as the editor goes, well I'd rather just know whether or not they actually intend to do it other than their vaguery in the faq. I'd be disappointed if not but wouldn't rage over it. Though I still can't imagine that a similar low effort editor release like the first version had would take all that much, well effort.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom