Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Question on Indie RPG's

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Has there ever been a steampunk indie rpg done? Maybe something like some of the stuff out there already (top/3qrtr overhead view) with steam punk elements.

The Dude

Liturgist
Not in CRPGs as far as I'm aware. There are plenty of shitty JRPGs with steampunk influences for some strange reason though. The only thing that springs to mind on the PC is Steamband, and that wasn't really what you asked for I guess. Oh, and Space 1889 which isn't that good.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Not a Time for Dragons by a Russian studio (not indy though) is in development. It will be released in Europe, and they have mentioned looking for a NA publisher.

You can see much of the industrial revolution era art desing, and much equipment and weapons in they're galleries. You can also translate the pages using babelfish pretty well.

http://nvdd.ru/

Greatatlantic

Erudite
There was recently an action RPG released by a Russian studio (I think) called Silverfall that had an Arcanum duality going on (nature vs. machines). Not my cup of tea, but there is a demo out.

mondblut

Arcane
The Dude said:
Oh, and Space 1889 which isn't that good.

Well, if Space 1889 counts as steampunk, I think Ultima Worlds: Martial Dreams counts also. It was pretty nice one, even if blatant Ultima 6 copycat.

Thunderscape, with it's primitive flamethrowers, steam golems et al also deserves a brief mention.

None are indie, of course.

The Dude

Liturgist
Extremely sorry for taking this a bit off topic, but I found some brilliantly funny AARs or somesuch at the Steamband homepage:

Miss Wing The Automaton Rogue

Miss Wing, my Automaton Rogue, is shown in her inventory as carrying -90.-2 pounds of equipment, -72% of her capacity. Evidently rogues are lighter on their feet than I had suspected possible. . .

The redoubtable Miss Wing once again has shown the remarkable talents of rogues above and beyond the merely plausible, this time by developing a method of hurling her Oriental chain-hooks through walls and yanking startled victims, frequently through great distances of apparently-solid stone, away from their comrades and within reach of her deadly Titanium fists. This discovery comes hot on the heels of her astounding theft of over 100,000 gold pieces from a roomful of chickens. . .

The analysis of Miss Wing's recent difficulties as the result of stat-switching seems to be entirely accurate. I, of course, have always found Miss Wing an absolutely delightful approximation of a woman, but to my immense surprise it seems that many people find her forceful personality and blood-stained metal fists intimidating in some way. No longer! Her Charm has increased enormously in this process, leaving her with a quite respectable 763. She is now the talk of the town, and I have witnessed young Flower Girls emulating her distinctive mannerisms (throwing Chain Hooks at the vicar and punching him to death). I rest much easier with the difficulties of her Muscle loss offset by the certain knowledge of her ready acceptance by high society when she reachers the surface. . .

The notorious Miss Wing has, at long last, succeeded in her goal of destroying the two principal threats to the Christian world: Dr. Moreau and Fu Manchu.

Little is known about Miss Wing's existence before the beginning of her adventuring career. There is an enigmatic note in her personal profile suggesting that she was once a man, but no heed should be paid to such rumours.

The very beginning of her career was marked by careful management of skills and the industrious accumulation of wealth, the vast majority of which was spent on yet more skill training. Specifically, she worked towards the goals of mastering the skills of martial arts, stealth, throwing, and the skills descended from these, with a significant but incomplete study of the use of devices. Late in her career, when she had vast quantities of skill points to spare, she also put some effort into the study of gadgets. When she began to proceed through the dungeon, it was by means of "difficult"-rated quests one after another, although few of them proved difficult at all.

Her adventures were thrilling and exciting, until one day her stats were shuffled, inflating her Charm and Ego while drastically reducing her Muscle and Agility. Immediately her popularity soared while the exuberance of her adventuring waned. The Titanium-framed Dragon Claw Ninja who once slaughtered her way through a legion of tyrannosauri to destroy their apparent leader, Count Dracula, was nowhere to be seen. She began to withdraw into the woodwork quite literally, using the ninja Passwall ability to spend most of her time in the walls while using Chain Hooks or the Clockwork Carbine to bring enemies to her. She was protected from rockets, but nothing protected her from her growing ennui. New skill points, once a source of joy, accumulated unused, and her deeds of derring-do were less daringly done indeed. Dr. Moreau was dispatched almost casually, and it is uncertain whether the dreaded Fu Manchu was even aware of her presence as he was punched to death from within the walls.

Find enclosed her internal-monitoring punch-card records as of the demise of Dr. Fu Manchu.

And the answer:

Loophole The Automaton Aesthete

Dear Miss Wing, I have recently learned of your efforts to duplicate my feat of reaching the surface world from the "centre of the Earth". You have my best wishes in this endeavour and I look forward to meeting you in person soon. Seeing as how you are an approximation of a woman and I am an approximation of a man, I was hoping you might agree to an approximation of an intimate social rendezvous, to see if there is any possibility of an approximation of romance.

For you see, in spite of my fame and fortune, I feel unfulfilled. As an Aesthete, I need to appreciate beauty. I long for someone to hold in my Titanium Arms [50,+6] (+6 attacks). In here include my official description, although I hope that it is my achievements and simulated personality that you will find most relevant:

You are a robot. You are made from Etheric Mithril. You
became intelligent gradually. You have glass circles for
eyes, a blocky torso, and a pointed head.

I tried this band ages ago, maybe I should pick it up again. Sad that development seems to have stopped though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom