Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
The ending is the same cinematic with slightly different voiceovers depending on who you sided with... it's lazier than even Fallout 3's ending.

Really bad ending indeed, and the babe in the ending video wasn't even my character (not even sure it was the default babe one, hair was weird), just some pre-rendered shit that doesn't really give a fuck about anything you did nor give any real closure, (edit) followed by the game putting you right back where you were before the video, with nothing really meaningful to do related to that so you just end up having to ignore the big things that just happened, and go back to exploring/scavenging (which was completely fucked due to the new status of my character after the ending).

This is incredible. Every time I hear something new about this game, it's the worst possible way they could have implemented that feature. How did reviewers play this and decide that it was not just acceptable, but excellent?

That's EXACTLY the game in a nutshell: Constant back and forth between "oh that's new, that's cool" (as you think of the potential) immediately followed by "Are they completely retarded!?" as you see how these fucks implemented it. This happens all the fucking time and applies to quest/stories too, with potentially very good quest lines/conflicts/ideas, but so poorly written/implemented that it boggles the mind.

For Bethesda, I simply think that they did this on purpose to fit the Console fucks and therefore sell a lot. I'm quite sure if they focused only on PC they could improve on a lot of things (though you'd need to fire the entire writing team probably) but that's not their goal, Console players and dopamine addicts are their targets (where the money flows) and, on that, they succeeded apparently. This game is a constant dopamine dispenser perfectly tailored for console players, it's scary sometimes. Everything you do only takes about 5-10 minutes in chunks, but there is always another thing just around the corner. There's just enough loot progression to keep you hooked within these chunks, and when you add legendary stuff and the constantly "we need you" quest dynamic quest system linked to the very obscure settlement mechanics (which is begging to be morphed into a free to play, pay to win model), you have the perfect junkie maker.
Oddly enough, it's also perfectly tailored for PC, because of mods that will follow but that means it's less "addictive" as a base game. I don't think Bethesda cares because they know modders will change that, their target are the mass crowd of retards who just eat the shit their given. People used to mods and whatnot don't just sit and eat shit all day without wanting to do something about it. Heck (like most games like Skyrim, Rome 2, etc before), I couldn't stand playing F4 more than 20 minutes before mods started to come out and the game I played had very little to do with the actual default game, other than the graphic/world setting. Heck, I never played Skyrim default more than 5 minutes either, and I think I only bought Rome 2 AFTER knowing exactly which mod I wanted to play it with. Even XCOM I couldn't finish one game before mods came out, and now it's on my constant re-play list. Games that are as retarded as that on release (most really) but cannot be easily modded (Creed series, Witcher 2/3, D:OS, etc), I just cannot play them ever, period, or just suffer through just to be able to say "yea, I'd done that shit".

As for reviewers, I just don't care, they don't mean shit to me, haven't for a long time. Heck, most of them have a game culture of an ant, and the rest are just console fucks millennials.

Last edited:

Avin

Liturgist
Wtf is this shit cursing console players?

I started on an Atari 2600, play on my PC but got an PS4 and a Vita for work trips.

Owning a console and playing stuff like Bloodborne doesn't make you a retard.

"Testing" Fallout 4 does.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

I started on an Atari 2600, play on my PC but got an PS4 and a Vita for work trips.

That you paid $400 just to play Bloodborne does.

You oldfag.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism

Its not console players fault. Some games like racing and sports games are prefect for consoles and more enjoyable than PC. The problem is devs are dumbing down games for consoles :(

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Agreed, there are awesome games on consoles.

baturinsky

Arcane
Interface is not that bad after getting used to. Seeing contents of container just by pointing at it is great. Finding something in a long list (such as workshop) is a disaster, though. And settlement management is fucked up.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

It's the mentality that breeds from Consoles that I mention, a generalization. It's a philosophical approach to things. Consoles own you, you own your PC.

Consoles push for the "dumbification" of the mind, simple pleasures dispensed to you without your control through simple and easily approachable means. This goes across the entire chain, from buying one, to plugging it in, to solving problems with it and playing with it. They are designed to remove any control you from you and just be there to answer very basic human needs/desires/pulsions. They are the perfect consuming machines from a business point of view.
There is nothing whatsoever a console can do that a PC cannot, hundreds time better, from game-play to graphics to story depth and everything in between across all game genres, but a PC is more complex, it puts the responsibility on you, demands more from you, requires that you learn, adapt, modify and transform, while the console just makes you a spectator of events, a passive lobotomized consumer, the perfect consumer.

Because of this (and it's basic appeal, because of humans flaws to desire simple easy things without seeing the consequences of it nor have any responsibility for it), it's the perfect cash cow, which in turn "forces" big developers to cater to it (and it's far easier to develop on console, it's a more controlled environment), resulting in turn, in the simplification of some PC games (for obvious monetary reasons on the developer/publisher side) either because of porting, or simply because PC developers realized that to have access to bigger crowds, they needed to make things stupider (which has always been true, but only fully realized because of the console market boom).

Basically, PC (I'm not just talking Windows here, but PCs, though excluding Macs kinda) pushes you to become better, to learn (philosophically, not just because of it, many people have a PC and are happily completely retarded with no desire to change) while Consoles allows you the luxury of being completely retarded and actually prevents any knowledge from being gained ever.
When I got an Atari 2600 for Christmas many years ago (came out couple years later in France), I had been learning on one of the new IBM XT for couple months already and the Atari immediately seemed to be a retard making machine and I never used it after the first evening. I mean I was already learning to program, playing cool games and learning computer architecture then you give me a sealed up box on which I can't do shit but play some games that seemed done by fucking retards with nothing but a joystick? I mean 1984 was King quest and Elite for fuck sake.

So no, owning a console doesn't make you a retard, it just keeps you that way.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Basically, PC (I'm not just talking Windows here, but PCs, though excluding Macs kinda) pushes you to become better, to learn (philosophically, not just because of it, many people have a PC and are happily completely retarded with no desire to change) while Consoles allows you the luxury of being completely retarded and actually prevents any knowledge from being gained ever.

www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2229/

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Minuteman would be an acceptable faction if they hadn't been so utterly devastated the moment you met them. I know it's Bethesda being Bethesda, but really, it would be akin to you joining Skyrim's Companions who just got slaughtered down to just two brothers and a bunch of scared villagers they were supposed to save.
I think it was a necessary evil in order to facilitate a further streamlining of the guild system. Instead of making players wait hours to become the leader of a guild decked out in power armor and mowing down deathclaws with a minigun, Fallout 4 gets them there within the first hour. Progress.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh hey, Nick Valentine is voiced by Stephen Russell. No wonder people like him.

At least now he has a real job.

He's been at that "real job" for ages, now. Barbas, Clavicus Vile, Mercer Frey, and then F3 and Bioshock before that (according to wikipedia).

The character's popularity might also be due to the fact that Nick Valentine is the one character that Beth actually bothered actually putting some sort of decent "writing" effort into, apparently...

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Stephen Russell characters are usually the ones that Emil writes I believe as well. Although, he didn't write all that much for this game, he only came up with skeletons for all the quests and locations and handed them off to all the designers.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The character's popularity might also be due to the fact that Nick Valentine is the one character that Beth actually bothered actually putting some sort of decent "writing" effort into, apparently...

He's just the likeable private eye archetype is all. There is no good writing in F4 (there's a spark of a promise of something potentially non-drab in Deacon's personality but that's it). As a companion he's rather boring and bad at combat, with a completely useless perk.

Fairfax

Arcane

He's just the likeable private eye archetype is all. There is no good writing in F4 (there's a spark of a promise of something potentially non-drab in Deacon's personality but that's it). As a companion he's rather boring and bad at combat, with a completely useless perk.
Valentine has a struggle, at least. Most of the other companions feel like they didn't even try, although I've yet to recruit 2 of them, I think .I'd argue that Kellogg is actually a good character, the best in the game. Doesn't mean much when he's one in less than a handful, but still wasted potential.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Indeed he is. I guess my bias and penchant for anything even remotely noir kicked in. That said, the writing of his character does stand out as "decent", if compared to everything else I've seen so far (haven't met Deacon yet).

And, I'm keeping the dog as a companion. He's cute and kinda useful and his writing surely can't turn into disappointment.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I've got 4 murders in my stats.

What counts as a murder?
Same shit as in Skyrimjob most likely. Some enemies there (mostly animals) were flagged as "territorial", so attacking them before they attacked you was an assault. I assume FO4 went even further and made it murder for human enemies this time. Named Gunners for example.
I too have 1 murder in my stats. Maybe you sniped one of those named random encounter chem vendors early in the game. Because he had gunner guards, I mistook one for a bossmob as well.
Accidents like that happen all the time when you shoot first. :cool:

Funfact: One quest in Vault 81 has you choose between a kid dying or you having your hps permanently lowered by 10. Consoltards are going apeshit because NOBODY TOLD THEM IT WAS PERMANENT!!!1elventyone. PC masterrace just removes the effect and travels on. Thanks for those small things Beth.

But I agree with Bethesda having implemented a lot of nice ideas, but then they fall flat because of shitty execution. Covenant for example, regardless how you do it innocents have to die. Either directly by your hand or by not doing anything. Diplomacy option? Convincing some of them to quit? Nope, player is not allowed to avoid the grimdark OMGCONSQUENCES.
I can convince a random synth spy to confess to me thanks to my ridiculous hat and glasses while being pissdrunk, but telling a scared villager that maybe her leader's plan might be insane... naaaah.

Also how frigging OP are chems this time? I never used them in FO3/FNV, but when I had to fight the cereal guy again because of savegame troubles I decided to try psychodad psychojet to speed it up. Normally the guy uses stealthbois like candy and then snipes you with grenades or his handcannon. With psychojet? Time frooze, I fed him and his goonies 8 shotgun sammiches while I was still mocking him and everybody was dead before those 15 seconds of slow time were over. "Winners don't do drugs" my ass...

Sarcastic choices, alcohol, psychojet and right arrowkey skipping, that's the way this game is meant to be played! :salute:

Psychomum recommends psychojet.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Funfact: One quest in Vault 81 has you choose between a kid dying or you having your hps permanently lowered by 10.

Is that even a choice? Is it supposed to be deep and moral and touchy-feely? I mean, this is F4, not PST or anything even remotely trying to "make sense". F4 is 102% min-max territory, powerplay-land, kill-on-sight fragfest, slowmo-gore-gib-cumpocalypse. Plus, I don't really like children. I wish that asshole in the intro had shot my kid instead of my wife. Fucking hell. One can always make a new baby easily, but do people realize how fucking hard it is to find someone you'd gladly spend the rest of your life with?

Jerks.

Fairfax

Arcane
I was actually surprised by how little effort they put into Piper, the other companion they try to push you the most, including promotional material.

She's the Intrepid Reporter trope and she runs a newspaper in a town of 50 people.
She's always in trouble because of it.
She wants to help innocent civilians.
She dislikes (formerly) bad karma stuff.

That's it. Not one flaw, no struggle, no depth, no goals, no internal conflict, no restrictions, no fears. Apparently she doesn't even have her own quest after the first one when you're introduced.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I was actually surprised by how little effort they put into Piper, the other companion they try to push you the most, including promotional material.

She's the Intrepid Reporter trope and she runs a newspaper in a town of 50 people.

That's it. Not one flaw, no struggle, no depth, no goals, no internal conflict, no restrictions, no fears. Apparently she doesn't even have her own quest after the first one when you're introduced.
Maybe she suffers from delusion. Do you even larp?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sarcastic choices, alcohol, psychojet and right arrowkey skipping, that's the way this game is meant to be played! :salute:

Drugs are pretty good only in the 1/3, later you have so much dmg output and so much armor they don't matter anymore. In fact next to nothing matters in this game. It's a cardboard world populated by paper mache characters, empty radiant quests and pointless activities like settlement building. Matters very little which faction you join, the companions you travel with, what choices you make, what armor or weapons you use, what build you go with. It's a pretense of a game, a big shiny box with nothing of value inside.

You can't even tell her that...
Yes, the Mayor is a fucking skin-job! And he is essential.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron

Drugs are pretty good only in the 1/3, later you have so much dmg output and so much armor they don't matter anymore. In fact next to nothing matters in this game. It's a cardboard world populated by paper mache characters, empty radiant quests and pointless activities like settlement building. Matters very little which faction you join, the companions you travel with, what choices you make, what armor or weapons you use, what build you go with. It's a pretense of a game, a big shiny box with nothing of value inside.

As I said, it's just a massive shooting range.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom