Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #43: Release Date - December 21st

Archibald

Arcane
Went fine for Neo Scavenger last year tho

Wasn't Original Sin also released during some sale?

Cnaiur

Augur
Many days from now, we will reminisce and discuss the year 2015 with our offspring. "Back when your father could still lift heavy shit and your mom didn't have saggy tits, there was a year where the stars aligned perfectly and the fine gentlemen of the Codex not only got one classic RPG, but two".

The world truly was a better place in 2015. Life was good and drinkable water was plentiful.

dat_piss_shiver-18150.gif

IM READY

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Many days from now, we will reminisce and discuss the year 2015 with our offspring. "Back when your father could still lift heavy shit and your mom didn't have saggy tits, there was a year where the stars aligned perfectly and the fine gentlemen of the Codex not only got one classic RPG, but two".

The world truly was a better place in 2015. Life was good and drinkable water was plentiful.

What's the second one? The first is Witcher 3 I know, but the second?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Krash

Arcane
As much as I love Underrail (GOTY, etc) the game has a significant weakness which I'm surprised few people have raised here. (DISCLAIMER: I haven't played too far ahead so as to not spoil the full version - things may get better later on.) I feel there is a relative lack of Fallout style quests, with multiple layers, non linearity, C&C etc. Even just a few complex quests at key locations, together with a bit more fleshing out of key characters would go a long way in alleviating the issue. Normally I wouldn't complain, but this kinda stands out compared to how good the game is overall.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it's never really been the focus of the game. That said, just keep playing. Quests, dialogue, intrigue...it builds.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Styg announced the release day of his masterpiece Fallout 4-killer to the Codexian Army...

And...there was much rejoicing!

Styg...you even announced it on my birthday.
You bring a tear to this old man's (cybernetically enchanced) eye...
:timcain:

Last edited:

Sothpaw

Learned
Bought the game a long time ago and haven't played yet. I knew it looked great but fuck you guys are making it sound like the second coming. In the short time I've been here I think this is the first game I've seen get universal praise. I didn't expect the combat and general systems to be so well designed.

duanth123

Arcane
Bought the game a long time ago and haven't played yet. I knew it looked great but fuck you guys are making it sound like the second coming. In the short time I've been here I think this is the first game I've seen get universal praise. I didn't expect the combat and general systems to be so well designed.

See

As much as I love Underrail (GOTY, etc) the game has a significant weakness which I'm surprised few people have raised here. (DISCLAIMER: I haven't played too far ahead so as to not spoil the full version - things may get better later on.) I feel there is a relative lack of Fallout style quests, with multiple layers, non linearity, C&C etc. Even just a few complex quests at key locations, together with a bit more fleshing out of key characters would go a long way in alleviating the issue. Normally I wouldn't complain, but this kinda stands out compared to how good the game is overall.

From what I've seen and played, Underrail isn't some consummation of the very notion of an ideal RPG; rather, it's just a good, solid RPG that appreciates and takes meaningful cues from it's predecessors, while avoiding being some horrid bastardization (F03, F04) of an existing IP or some rictus grin-inducing compromise between old and streamlined (WL2, W3) or something else much, much, march...(PoE.)

like they say, "in a time of universal mediocrity - competence is a revolutionary act..."

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From what I've seen, Underrail isn't some consummation of the very notion of an ideal RPG; rather, it's just a good, solid RPG that appreciates and takes meaningful cues from it's predecessors, while avoiding being some horrid bastardization (F03, F04) of an existing IP or some rictus grin-inducing compromise between old and streamlined (WL2, W3) or something else much, much, march...(PoE.)
W3?

duanth123

Arcane
From what I've seen, Underrail isn't some consummation of the very notion of an ideal RPG; rather, it's just a good, solid RPG that appreciates and takes meaningful cues from it's predecessors, while avoiding being some horrid bastardization (F03, F04) of an existing IP or some rictus grin-inducing compromise between old and streamlined (WL2, W3) or something else much, much, march...(PoE.)
W3?

Twitcher Three.

I found some thoughtful criticisms of Underrail, Sothpaw, for you to peruse, curtesy of Steam.

Posted: December 6
EARLY ACCESS REVIEW
No map no sense of direction, Game is way harder then it needs to be.

Posted: December 6
EARLY ACCESS REVIEW
The interface is terrible, it requires a lot of needless jumping around which could be extremely easily mitigated by moving pop-ups under the cursor and giving the right mouse button a "go back" function. Just for starters. I'm not going to touch the subject of minuscule objects on minuscule objects not being noticeable even after highlighting them, with their names overlapping, or the lack of explanations about non-working skills.
In RPGs the interface is the second most important aspect.
Coincidentally, the first is the true deal breaker: the ♥♥♥♥ing fonts.
The bigger font is unreadable, it's blurred, has irregular edges, feels shrunk and the dots inside make it a complete, total, absolute pain to read. I'd rather stare at my ugly mug in the mirror for a whole day than read that font again for five minutes more.
The smaller one is so tiny I think the game's author is some kind of sadist: with my usual screen resolution, 1900x600, I could smash my face on the monitor and still wouldn't be able to read it. With a lower resolution it starts to become only a pain to the eyes but obviously the game has been thought not to work with that because the help window (F1) doesn't fit anymore.
Animations are horrible, jerky, the whole game feels like running (because only the game runs, the main character won't and I couldn't find why) at 10 frames per second; the game relies heavily on icons, but they're all extremely small, badly drawn and hardly distinguishable.
I'm definitely no graphics ♥♥♥♥♥, sometimes I still play ZAngband and I'll probably worship X-Com forever, but this game is literally a pain to look at, I played only 20 minutes but they felt like two hours. And I needed to rest my eyes after that.

Maybe there's an unbelievable game under all these horrors, but looking for it would feel like rummaging through ♥♥♥♥ in the hope to find diamonds.

Not Recommended

247.4 hrs on record :lol:
Posted: April 26
EARLY ACCESS REVIEW
First Review: 40 Hours
I love where this game is trying to go but sadly its just not there.

Bug ridden. (game breaking in many cases)
Unbalanced game play mechanics. (300%+ markup economy is just stupid)
Hellish difficulty (often with little to no point other then punishing the player but also partly due to other problems listed above)
Weak plot (which is really sad because this game had a lot of promise)
Awful user interface (halfway through the game I was still trying to find the batteries to charge items)
Simple not a fun experience which is by far the most damning thing I can say about this game.

Save your money and beat your head against a wall if you still feel like buying this game.

UPDATE: 224 hours
Well not much has changed. The game difficulty has taken a bit of a roller-coaster after you reach about level 14. The "easier" parts of the game are a lot of fun but the harder parts leave you swearing and cussing as you load the game over and over and over trying to figure out a strategy that "works." I really don't know what the developer was thinking when he made this game but my guess would be that he has some unresolved hate issues that he is venting through the game. As far as the things I listed earlier the game is still pretty bug ridden, very unbalanced, ridiculously hard, very thin on any kind of plot despite copious amounts of text dialog that I've meticulously slewthed through, oh yeah and no updates to the terrible user interface either.

I did take the liberty of creating a nav point map for the other unfortunate souls who are trudging through this wreck of a game since the developer couldn't be bothered to do such and I've posted it under my art work page and listed it on the community hub.

Current recommendation: DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
He played it 247 hours? But he hates it sooo much?

Lel, this guy sounds like a codexer. Get him on the payroll. :D

epeli

Arcane
From what I've seen and played, Underrail isn't some consummation of the very notion of an ideal RPG; rather, it's just a good, solid RPG that appreciates and takes meaningful cues from it's predecessors, while avoiding being some horrid bastardization (F03, F04) of an existing IP or some rictus grin-inducing compromise between old and streamlined (WL2, W3) or something else much, much, march...(PoE.)

Well said. Of course it isn't perfect - nothing is. It simply is the first RPG that even tries to get it right after the 90s RPG classics and improve upon them. Underrail is the exact antithesis of RPG decline, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that codex is all over it.

duanth123

Arcane
some rictus grin-inducing compromise between old and streamlined (WL2, W3)

O_o How could you even put those two games in the same category

By defining the category as, "games that make concessions to modern designer trends" instead of "games that are actually enjoyable to play" or "games that don't look like piss" or "games that have quality writing" or "games that prominently feature an infertile mutant."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom