Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Impressions after finishing F4

potatojohn

Arcane
It felt especially good because of how late in the game you get it, and how it's either behind an endgame questline or a difficult fight, it's the closest you can get to Fallout 1 and 2. 4 did it right everywhere but the progression.
In New Vegas it just felt dumb. You were doing quests for the BoS to ensure their continued existence - quests that none of them could do. But they only give you the armor after you've done all of them. It would've been more realistic if they were showering me in PA as soon as I showed up and begging me to find their stupid air filter or whatever, because they were all going to die without me.

Zerginfestor

Learned
It felt especially good because of how late in the game you get it, and how it's either behind an endgame questline or a difficult fight, it's the closest you can get to Fallout 1 and 2. 4 did it right everywhere but the progression.
In New Vegas it just felt dumb. You were doing quests for the BoS to ensure their continued existence - quests that none of them could do. But they only give you the armor after you've done all of them. It would've been more realistic if they were showering me in PA as soon as I showed up and begging me to find their stupid air filter or whatever, because they were all going to die without me.
Not really, because the BoS have been known to be infamously finnicky when it comes to distributing tech to outsiders, ESPECIALLY Power Armor, which is considered the 'holy grail of tech' to them, incredibly rare, and no one (for now) has the capabilities of building such powerful gear, thus they would rather you prove yourself worthy of their time, instead of dumping armor at you. It doesn't make sense in any way, really, as BoS are more likely to die than give some shmuck armor they just fucking met, think they would rather fill you with holes and laugh their asses off.

potatojohn

Arcane
Not really, because the BoS have been known to be infamously finnicky when it comes to distributing tech to outsiders, ESPECIALLY Power Armor, which is considered the 'holy grail of tech' to them, incredibly rare, and no one (for now) has the capabilities of building such powerful gear, thus they would rather you prove yourself worthy of their time, instead of dumping armor at you. It doesn't make sense in any way, really, as BoS are more likely to die than give some shmuck armor they just fucking met, think they would rather fill you with holes and laugh their asses off.
The BoS in New Vegas is in its 5 minutes to midnight moment. They've just been defeated by the NCR at Helios and their base is falling apart and about to kill all of them. All the troops they sent out to achieve their goals have died.

That they let you into (and out of) their secret base while a superior foe is searching for them is proof how desperate they are. You're their last and only hope.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
At some point, I got bored with all the shallow and pointless side-quests and randomly generated missions, I even got bored of just exploring and killing stuff because there wasn't much left to explore and kill, really (and even so, it wasn't really that challenging), so just went for the big ending.

The ending is "average", but the game really sucks overall.

I got up to the point in the BoS questline where they show their big reveal of their trump card, and it's that PoS michael bay robot Liberty Prime, again. Quit the faction at that point, will join the institute or some shit now, how little creativity can writers get as to ape a game they just made?

potatojohn

Arcane
At some point, I got bored with all the shallow and pointless side-quests and randomly generated missions, I even got bored of just exploring and killing stuff because there wasn't much left to explore and kill, really (and even so, it wasn't really that challenging), so just went for the big ending.

I mean, isn't this normal? When you finish a game and there's not much left to do, it becomes boring. I have no interest in playing through the vast majority of games I've already completed no matter their quality - it would bore me to do so. That's why we play different games instead of endlessly replaying one.

But somehow you seem to have connected this feeling of boredom with the Fallout 4 sucking.

I suggest taking some time to think about why you feel this way. As they say, "know thyself"

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
liberty prime was one of the few good parts of the fallout 3 storyline, i'm glad they brought it back

Pretty sure that if you didn't have your head up your ass you'd realize the critique was towards the generic and repetitive content.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Not much left to explore? :o
That's quite a feat, I doubt I will be able to do that before being burned out by the game if the adventure side of things (the shooter part is fine) doesn't get better soon (so far I had a dry spell in the wasteland, regarding story, lore and NPC interactions).
So you're another one of those "I just wasted 100 hours on this turd and I hated every minute of it, I swear guise!" delusionals? :lol:
If not then you're lying, since just exploring most of the worldmap and the locations in it already takes up that much time.
Or are you one of those blind twats that miss every single loot container because they just waltz through stuff like they have to catch a bus or something?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

I mean, isn't this normal? When you finish a game and there's not much left to do, it becomes boring. I have no interest in playing through the vast majority of games I've already completed no matter their quality - it would bore me to do so. That's why we play different games instead of endlessly replaying one.

But somehow you seem to have connected this feeling of boredom with the Fallout 4 sucking.

I suggest taking some time to think about why you feel this way. As they say, "know thyself"

What is this, 2-dime-psychology?

The "boredom" came before moving on to the end, not after. I usually milk all I can out of an "open world" or "sandbox" game before completing the main quest, because doing the latter gives me a sense of "closure" and makes me move on to a different game. Well Fallout 4 turned out not t be that interesting as a "sandbox" experience, for a number of reasons (poor variety in landscape, un-challenging enemies, un-interesting "POI's", just to name three).

Not much left to explore? :o
That's quite a feat, I doubt I will be able to do that before being burned out by the game if the adventure side of things (the shooter part is fine) doesn't get better soon (so far I had a dry spell in the wasteland, regarding story, lore and NPC interactions).
So you're another one of those "I just wasted 100 hours on this turd and I hated every minute of it, I swear guise!" delusionals? :lol:
If not then you're lying, since just exploring most of the worldmap and the locations in it already takes up that much time.
Or are you one of those blind twats that miss every single loot container because they just waltz through stuff like they have to catch a bus or something?

I spent around, I dunno, 40-50 hours on the game (95% of which I spent exploring)? I was level 44 when I got back from the end credits, and after that much the game really got trite, boring and dull to me. Sure, I do not know how much of the whole game I actually "uncovered" in those hours, but if the time I've spent on it is a decent sample of the rest of the game, then I stand by my guns.

BTW, I did not hate every minute of it. In fact, I'd say the first 30 hours were entertaining (see my previous comments about the game): I did enjoy uncovering locations, finding little secrets, sneaking around and killing stuff. I did not much bother with the "sims" mechanics of the game. It was quite entertaining to shoot things, alqaeda mutants and alpha deathclaws and clearing gunners or raiders nests. But then the game sort of ran dry to me, as it was seemingly that the next 30 or 200 hours would just be identical to those first 30 (and without the benefit of a varied and interesting landscape). The radiant missions did not really make things much more interesting, so after those hours (during which, as per my habit, I explored every nook and cranny I came across, opened every door container crate, entered every building, etc...) I thought I'd see what the story was like, and it turned out to be lame and half-assed.

But then again, fanboys gonna fanboy, so please keep the edginess up and enjoy your next 150 hours of this crud.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds pretty much like my experience with the game so far only that I misunderstood your "there's not much left to explore" comment.

I didn't explore more than the NW quadrant though (took me about 40 hours) and still expect quite a lot of wonders and excitement from the big city and other southern POIs. Postapoc Boston looks great from the distance.
Can't confirm the part about POIs being uninteresting and enemies being too easy (melee build on survival).
But then again terminals, audio tapes and letters as story/lore dumps are getting lame. But the game still keeps surprising me with interesting locations (like that weird ass fraternity or fraternal post (what does that even mean, fraternal post?) in Cambridge with the blindfold supermutant and the shopping carts full of gore). If only it wasn't that half-baked. I doubt that the lore from all these locations is in any way tied to the main story, it all seems too much like anecdotal stuff.
It too often goes like this:
"I'm some nice now dead prewar person and I'm writing this computer diary fuck knows why. In 2077 this is what happened. Oh and I'm a real person, see, I'm afraid and I love my family. I hope this conflict in Asia goes away so we can all get back to our lives. End of recording."
Raider logs also don't seem to be tied to anything except for some named and otherwise ordinary raiders.

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter
It is fine touch to read in terminal that you must be some sort of badass for wiping out raider settlement but why is this in computer not mentioned by raiders? They should offer you a way to join, quests or be fucking scared and run away if you are wearing power armor and holding gatling laser in your hands. Nope they are typical Bethesda brain-dead meat happily assaulting you with tire iron even when wearing freaking Enclave Power Armor MK.VI.

potatojohn

Arcane
Nope they are typical Bethesda brain-dead meat happily assaulting you with tire iron even when wearing freaking Enclave Power Armor MK.VI.
Works literally the same as every video game ever made?

Must be Bethesda's fault.

typical user

Arbiter
Nope they are typical Bethesda brain-dead meat happily assaulting you with tire iron even when wearing freaking Enclave Power Armor MK.VI.
Works literally the same as every video game ever made?

Must be Bethesda's fault.

In Fallout 2 if you have OP character in the end of the game that can slap 4 enemies for 200hp damage in one turn then your enemies would detect that and run. New Vegas was pretty much hindered by Bethesda's engine. But since Skyrim has fear effect that sends critters running in terror and ducking out then why this effect isn't triggered in Fo4 if your enemy is underleveled and has shitty equipment? It makes no fucking sense going toe-to-toe with a guy that can kill you before you even get close.

And there is also fact that if you are Harbinger-Archmage-Listiner-Master Thief-Vampire Lord in Legendary double enchanted Daedric Armor that defeated Miraak and Alduin, is proficient in sneaking, magic, raising wrathmen, able to summon two dragons, one that is dead, kills dragons without trouble absorbing their life essence and still gets attacked by muggers in Riften... Then you know there is no world development (apart from draugrs pumpin' up in dungeon gym everytime you level alchemy).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
fear effects have been in bethesda engines since at least morrowind so nice try but it's not a good excuse.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
This is the problem with posts like these, it's so hard to figure out if they are trolling, or just really stupid.

Mastermind and potatojohn are either masters at trolling, or the posterboy of decline in CRPG.

Avin

Liturgist
Why I'm wasting my time reading what a bethetard write? A random guy Who thinks Story isn't important on roleplaying games and probably thinks RPGs born in videogames, not books.

Fucking retarded.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This is a Bethesda game, so treat it as an immersive sim, not as an RPG.

I started playing it and put some 8 hours into it so far. Characters/story are very dull (as expected) but I keep digging up new locations and dat looting keeps me going. Though if the story won't pick up at some point I doubt I'll ever finish it. Still better than any Biowhore shit, but clearly inferior to F:NV and F2.

potatojohn

Arcane
It's an indisputable fact that Fallout 4 has more and deeper RPG elements than Deus Ex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom