Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Athelas

Arcane
I guess it's only appropriate considering he was responsible for the best-written jRPG ever made.

Prime Junta

LTTP but ... fuuuuuu MCA wrote Grobnar? That's like... I dunno, CMcC writing the Complete Book of Elves.

Xeon

Augur
There was a speech check in Dead Money that made something worse later, so not always a wining choice. I kinda liked that.

Speech check with Domino, resulting in him betraying you later

TheScarecrow

Educated
So my friend was tellling me how he wanted this book about Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross to come out in english, and when I checked the description I noticed MCA wrote its foreword:

Más Allá del Tiempo

:o

Well... i will try going to a bookstore when this has come out and take a picture of what Avellone wrote to translate it.

Fairfax

Arcane
Why is it called a JRPG so often here? It can definitely be called an adventure game, as even MCA did, apparently, but JRPG? Not sure I get it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You had to have played the game at the time it came out to really note the similarity. A lot of the things that PS:T did became more normal for Western RPGs later on. The unique, stylised companions with dedicated weapon types you can't switch. No armor switching, just accessories. And the spell animations of course.

Yeah, the 'not quite steampunk' prominence of factories, pollution, guilds that look a bit like ruthless corporations (the Godsmen), urban decay interpretation of a fantasy setting seems partially inspired by FF7 and Chrono Trigger as well. Obviously there are other, possibly greater, influences and MCA probably shared influences with the creators of those games, but it's a setting that was far more common in Japanese pop art/games/comics. There's plenty of Western counter examples, but they were usually aimed at slightly more niche, or older, audiences at the upper end of mid brow, compared to the popularity of such settings in Japan, where especially 1970-1990s they had a lot of cultural pride in taking bits of Western traditions/tech and doing things totally unexpected with them.

At a broader level, you could also include the idea that computer games can aim for an emotional effect upon the player. PS:T wasn't the first decently written computer game (and the JRPGs that inspired it are often a little cringe-worthy in their attempts at emotional impact), but usually 'good writing' would fall into one of three categories - (1) humour, generally of the slapstick variety, (2) interesting at a more cerebral level (e.g. 'A mind forever wandering' - not saying that such games were any more intelligent, just that they're aiming more for a 'that's interesting' effect than an emotional one), or (3) thematic. FO is a good example of the 3rd one - superficially similar writing style to PS:T, but it's always aimed at creating a stylish Mad Max feel, and often relies on not giving the decisions any real emotional weight, so that potentially horrific scenarios can be fun or even humorous.

And yeah, those high-level spell animations. Even at the time I fucking hated those. Cool the first time you cast them, but such a fucking drag on the combat pacing after that. And whilst this certainly isn't the worst aspect of the animations, what makes them particularly unforgivable for me is that they actually run counter to immersion. Normally, when playing a crpg, I can ignore the fact that a spell that summons a meteor to hit the planet doesn't result in mass extinctions/floods/carnage outside of a 2 square metre target zone. When a spell summons an extra-planar cannon to fire at the enemy, I don't usually find myself thinking about who loaded and prepped the cannon, or why someone doesn't use a spell to go fetch that damn thing (or just reverse-engineer it) and use it for more than one shot. But the animations play those spells out in the most literal damn interpretation of the spell description, to the point where you're summoning and firing weapons of mass destruction at single, human-sized, targets, from a range somewhere outside the fucking solar system.

Even if that wasn't the case, they'd still be annoying. But holding up combat every time I want to cast a high level spell, and then having the opposite effect of what the developer's flimsy justification is based upon, makes me far less forgiving than if it was just a matter of having different priorities to the developer.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Since you mention the Japanese connection, that's also the language Fall-From-Grace is speaking her spellcasting chants in. Fall-From-Grace and Annah's designs were inspired by Archie Comics.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
betty-veronica-angel-devil-357x550.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Why is it called a JRPG so often here? It can definitely be called an adventure game, as even MCA did, apparently, but JRPG? Not sure I get it.
It's something people like to do, pick a very superficial resemblance and call it the defining feature. "PST is a JRPG because spell animations." "Might and Magic VI is an FPS because real-time combat."

Fairfax

Arcane
Found a pretty good interview with MCA from 09/14.

For example, in the past month, I was doing core writing work on one of our internal projects, now I’m illustrating cartoon Kickstarter backer rewards, and also doing creative lead duties on another of our unannounced internal projects scripting lore and world sourcebook material.
This confirms that Feargus did give him free rein to create a new IP and that he was Creative Lead in one of their secret projects. I think the "core writing work" was either PoE editing or giving feedback/editing Stormlands stuff.
A big loss, really. This would've been the first full fledged game led by MCA in 10 years, and his first original setting ever.
:negative:

Now which project was that? Hmm...if I had to guess, I'd guess it's their 2nd crowdfunded game, which might was cancelled/taken over as Louisiana.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom