Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, playing STALKER for the first time, mods

Athelas

Arcane
I'm interested in playing these games, but is there any way to play them in the original Russian language with English subtitles (muh atmosphere)?

I'm interested in playing these games, but is there any way to play them in the original Russian language with English subtitles (muh atmosphere)?

English voice actors are good.

I'm part Ukrainian and their accents are genuine.

Don't bother with Clear Sky though, it ruins the series.

Shadow of Chernobyl is the most atmospheric.

Call of Pripyat is the most polished.

Is the faction system in vanilla clear sky even remotely fun?!
From what I remember it doesn't even remotely work. The whole faction thing was a botched opportunity in CS, although it did introduce a number of other good improvements compared to SoC (most of which were carried over to CoP).

I didn't even notice it TBH.

Clear Sky added in some very tacky elements like bad 90's electric guitar riffs and a lame stoner character who talks like Tommy Chong and blasts a reggae radio throughout his area.

The ending is terrible...
Strelok ignores your attacks and does nothing to fire back at you. The game was so rushed that the developers forgot to include Strelok's AI

If by "playing with Misery" you mean Misery 1.2 - then I agree. Avoid Misery 2.1.1. because it's not for everyone and - most important - it's not realistic at all despite what people (and mod creators) state.
I don't want to play vanilla if I can improve my experience
I get it, then Misery 1.2 is for you.
Mod base
There you can download it and nowhere else beyond MEGA and similar, because Misery creators want you to play Mis2 and new incoming version, and avoid being exposed to only good version of the mod.

With mods it gets even better and less buggy
Lies. Mods can (and will) add new bugs. It's unavoidable.
Even when they come with ZRP. You add new stuff, change something = increased chance that bug will be created.

Sigerious Mod is not for 1st playthrough. It add too much stuff and to notice (and appreciate/hate it) you need experience vanilla first.

Just installed Misery 1.2 using your link.

EDIT: I didn't have an option to set FOV during settup.

Also, I get wierd head shaking during dialogue.

It's not the "head bob," just random shaking from side to side like the Marked One is trying to wake up.

Sorry! Couldn't figure out a better way to explain it.

Last edited:
Misery 1.2 music is SHIT.

Sounds like fucking Arcanum!

The bitch is buggy too.

I tried to swap out for Misery 2.1.1 music, but it would not let me!!

:rage:

In Misery 1 (not sure about 2) I'm playing with Russian language with English subs.

Roderick

Savant
i played SoC with complete for a while and enjoyed it, mostly beacuse it made stealth much more viable and fun it seemed, and some stuff about items, i forgot

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The only mod that made sneaking reliable was Autumn Aurora 2. I could sneak through ATP (car parking in Cordon, where Nimble was) with no problem. That was something, that everyone should experience.

Doing a 2nd Pripyat run right now with Misery 1.

To be completely honest...

Misery 1 makes the game buggy as all hell.

My first playthrough was with Complete and I prefer Complete.

There are some very annoying aspects:
  1. You have to "eat" every 30-minutes real world time... Whoever decideed this was a good addition forgot to play their mod.
  2. Without food, you can't walk 5 feet without stopping because you're exhausted. The amount of time spent standing idly waiting for my Stamina bar to refill is probably greater than the actual time I have spent playing the actual game.
  3. The gameworld feels way more empty... There are fewer enemies and certain merchant items are scarce... Except 50K+ different kinds of weapons and armor of course!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Complete less buggy than Misery 1.2?
I call it bullshit. Did you forgot to install 1.2 patch?

What's the problem with eating? It's cheap and every enemy have one bread or canned food.

The gameworld feels way more empty...
As intended in concept, because more populated world in Stalker make the game less real.
You forgot that The Zone is closed area, under guard of Military. Lot of NPCs in closed terrain make it ridiculous.
I know you want to more enemies to shoot but then you go with other mods (Call of Chernobyl or Faction War for CS).

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is the best Call of Pripyat mod?

The people who said it doesn't need a mod are wrong. I know this from playing for half an hour.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah. Its ironic really, CoP is the most polished, but its so...boring, you know? It just doesn't have the same tense atmosphere as SoC, as there are hardly any hostile NPCs, they give good gear early and you can find high tier equipment just by scavenging.
I think they were trying to appeal to the mainstream audience.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What is the best Call of Pripyat mod?

The people who said it doesn't need a mod are wrong. I know this from playing for half an hour.

Then play Misery 2.1.1 and rob every NPC that you can find.
Enjoy.

Or go with Call of Chernobyl. Shooting all the time on every map from Stalker series.
Or go with any SGM mod. The new one have Cordon and Swamps as a starting maps (before you reach Zaton) where all you do is clean sectors of the map from bandits.
Every new faction job is about shooting.
Then, at the end of the game, you can continue game in freeplay mode where you need to clean out the Zone from 500 zombies.
Yes, maps will be full of them. Then continue on another new maps where all you do is shooting.

If that's not enough then go back to CoD or Doom or else. Zone is already too much populated.

I enjoyed Complete.

MotherMachinae and others seem to hate Complete.

I had no problems with the mod whatsoever.

I enjoyed it more than Misery 1 which I am currently playing.

PS > I uninstalled Misery 2 a while back because it includes things in-game that lets players know "it's a mod."

For example, it sets up a whole area infested with Bloodsuckers in broad, open daylight.

These are supposed to be rare creatures that live in dark subterranean levels.

EDIT: While on topic of Misery 1, I have one more complaint:

Some of the areas or so dark that important items such as loot and quest objectives can't be seen.

This is still the case with Misery's head-mounted light.

I understand that this is supposed to add "eemurshun"" or whatever, but the darkness makes absolutely ZERO sense.

If you enter an abandoned building at high noon (game time) and you go to a backroom with no windows, IT SHOULD NOT BE PITCH BLACK!

The head-mounted flashlight only lights up a very small circle, and the rest of the area is nonvisible...

Reminds me of the #1 reason why Doom 3 sucked!

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I enjoyed Complete.

MotherMachinae and others seem to hate Complete.

I had no problems with the mod whatsoever.

I enjoyed it more than Misery 1 which I am currently playing.

PS > I uninstalled Misery 2 a while back because it includes things in-game that lets players know "it's a mod."

For example, it sets up a whole area infested with Bloodsuckers in broad, open daylight.

These are supposed to be rare creatures that live in dark subterranean levels.

Not exactly. Bloodsuckers have been known to walk outside in the daylight before.
See : Bloodsucker Farm, and that House in Dark Valley, the Wild Territory

They may be Vampiric, but they are not Vampires.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played some more vanilla call of pripyat, with a dll that increases fov to 75. It's not bad. One needs to finish vanilla before modding anyway.

Played some more vanilla call of pripyat, with a dll that increases fov to 75. It's not bad. One needs to finish vanilla before modding anyway.

You play SoC yet?

Pripyat is 1.6 version of Chernobyl's 1.0 engine.

I have a hard time deciding which is the better game.

Chernobyl is longer but Pripyat has a much better ending.

Chernobyl's ending sucked...

Pripyat ends like Fallout 2, by describing what happens to various characters and factions.

Clear Sky was pretty bad...

Like 6/10 for me.

Strelok does nothing and just stands there as you shoot him to death in the final battle IIRC.

Well I'm not sure but SRP is a great bugfix only "mod" (more like unofficial patch) and possibly improves and removes stupid shit like that and makes Clear Sky much better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom