Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Grubba

Arcane
Men, I'm not convinced that this brawl is totally random like they claim it is. I've probably played around 20 and gotten Hemet in well over half and Sir Finley in close to half the games. Elite Tauren Warchief has popped up a bunch too. Can anyone else corroborate?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I dunno but the curves on most decks I get are generally trash. Opening hand is 4+ mana drops. Mulligan... get 6+ mana drops. Concede. Time to start accumulating gold for the next expansion... which will probably be out in January knowing these money 'grubba' ing fagmos!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
TGT in hindsight... again (think I already posted one of these). Now that a full adventure has come and gone since TGT was released and a few months have passed here are the cards that are still played in the current meta:

Neutral: Argent Horserider and Justicar Trueheart.

Druid: Darnassus Aspirant

Hunter: Bear Trap and King's Elekk (Possibly the ONLY worthwhile joust card?).

Mage: Effigy

Paladin: Murloc Knight and Mysterious Challenger.

Priest: Wyrmrest Agent (Dragon Priest only) and Flash Heal (Might categorize as niche but it's seeing more play with non Dragon control combined with Aucheni, 5 damage for 1 mana is OPOPOPOPOPOOP).

Rogue: Zip. I want to say Buccaneer but I don't see this in too many decks anymore.

Shaman: Ancient Knowledge, Totem Golem, and Tuskarr Totemic.

Warlock: Nothing consistently played.

Warrior: Bash.

14 cards from a 130ish card set, MEN. Preeeeeeeety impressive.

Niche shit/honorable mention/shit I sometimes see: Silver Hand Regent, Twilight Guardian, Clockwork Knight, Chillmaw, Living Roots, Ram Wrangler, Burgle, and Dreadsteed.

To compare to League of Explorers, a set of... 40ish cards (and granted it's still early).

Consistently played: Mounted Raptor, Keeper of Uldaman, Museum Curator, Entomb, Unearthed Raptor, Tunnel Trogg, Reliquary Seeker, Dark Peddler, Sir Finley Mrrglton, Jewled Scarab, Brann Bronzebeard, and maybe Reno (though that seems to have died off).

I expect a few of those to fall off so maybe there will be six to ten LoE cards worthwhile over time. Still... a much higher percentage than the shit from TGT. I cringe at what awful mechanic they come up with for the new expansion.

Jozoz

Prophet
Joust is the most bullshit RNG piece of shit mechanic.

I get irrationally angry at that shit in arena.

I get that it's supposed to reward higher curve decks, but in arena it just ruins games with RNG.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
TGT in hindsight... again (think I already posted one of these). Now that a full adventure has come and gone since TGT was released and a few months have passed here are the cards that are still played in the current meta:

Neutral: Argent Horserider and Justicar Trueheart.

Druid: Darnassus Aspirant

Hunter: Bear Trap and King's Elekk (Possibly the ONLY worthwhile joust card?).

Mage: Effigy

Paladin: Murloc Knight and Mysterious Challenger.

Priest: Wyrmrest Agent (Dragon Priest only) and Flash Heal (Might categorize as niche but it's seeing more play with non Dragon control combined with Aucheni, 5 damage for 1 mana is OPOPOPOPOPOOP).

Rogue: Zip. I want to say Buccaneer but I don't see this in too many decks anymore.

Shaman: Ancient Knowledge, Totem Golem, and Tuskarr Totemic.

Warlock: Nothing consistently played.

Warrior: Bash.

14 cards from a 130ish card set, MEN. Preeeeeeeety impressive.

Niche shit/honorable mention/shit I sometimes see: Silver Hand Regent, Twilight Guardian, Clockwork Knight, Chillmaw, Living Roots, Ram Wrangler, Burgle, and Dreadsteed.

To compare to League of Explorers, a set of... 40ish cards (and granted it's still early).

Consistently played: Mounted Raptor, Keeper of Uldaman, Museum Curator, Entomb, Unearthed Raptor, Tunnel Trogg, Reliquary Seeker, Dark Peddler, Sir Finley Mrrglton, Jewled Scarab, Brann Bronzebeard, and maybe Reno (though that seems to have died off).

I expect a few of those to fall off so maybe there will be six to ten LoE cards worthwhile over time. Still... a much higher percentage than the shit from TGT. I cringe at what awful mechanic they come up with for the new expansion.

I mostly agree, though there are a few things to nitpick - Twilight Guardian is a strong card, and is always used in Dragon Priest. Dreadsteed is also, funnily enough, pretty strong in that one warlock deck. I also think your LOE picks are a bit optimistic - cards like Reliquary Seeker, Mounted Raptor, and Scarab aren't actually in any good decks that I know of. Reno Warlock still seems strong. We'll have to see if this stuff is still used in a month. Decks like Tier 1 Midrange Hunter and Ramp Druid just flat out use nothing from LoE.

But yeah - it's kind of sad how bad TGT was, lol.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Why would you play arena? It's just a gold sink if you can't average five wins per run. The sooner people will start abandoning this game mode, the sooner the devs will decide to make it more fair.
Constructed offers good variety of decks thanks to the release of GvG and LoE.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I love Arena I just wish they make it a lot less expensive - with related reward nerfs ofc. So it's actually possible for casuals like me to do infinite Arena. I just can't afford to sink gold in Arena when I'm still very far from completing my card pool. Especially when the reward packs are heavily biased for TGT. Sad.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think arena is by far the most fun format in Hearthstone? Ranked gets very bogged down with samey decks everywhere, the brawls tend towards the too random or just not that fun to play.

You don't have to average five for it not to be a goldsink - since you get a pack every time you only need 50 gold, which is like a 3.5 win average. Sure, to truly infinite you need like 6 or 7 wins per arena for which you need to have some skill - but with quests 5 wins are enough if you don't play too frequently, heck if I can do it so can anyone. And isn't that part of the fun, knowing you're good enough to do infinite is its own reward, if they nerf it down so anyone can do it, that's a bit lame?

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I'm not sure how it works nowadays, I haven't touched arena for months. Don't they give random packs? For example you could get a classic pack when you want a GvG one.

I'll have to agree with the gold rewards, they are not that bad. But they could lessen the legendaries or rares one can get during the draft to make decks more balanced. Having deck disparity where some decks have ten rares more than others replaces the skill factor from the equation with even more luck.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm not sure how it works nowadays, I haven't touched arena for months. Don't they give random packs? For example you could get a classic pack when you want a GvG one.

I'll have to agree with the gold rewards, they are not that bad. But they could lessen the legendaries or rares one can get during the draft to make decks more balanced. Having deck disparity where some decks have ten rares more than others replaces the skill factor from the equation with even more luck.
Yeah it's random, can't say that matters to me, playing since beta so got most everything. A "deck token" would probably be better.

When you say that you mean it's luck AGAINST the person getting legendaries or ten rares, right? Well, to be fair, a lot of rares a good, but most legendaries don't do much in the current tempo-driven arena, and epics in particular are disastrous. I'd take a Spider Tank over most any legendary or epic in the game in most drafts.

Last edited:

Jozoz

Prophet
I uninstalled this piece of shit of a game, but back when I played I was infinite in arena.

I got my 12-0 so at least I can brag about that.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I uninstalled this piece of shit of a game, but back when I played I was infinite in arena.
I think even HS veterans would agree Arena got a lot more competitive and difficult recently, especially after TGT.
Yup, as someone who played since beta, Arena is a ton more competitive. The average deck is just better, and often even when you run into subpar players they have outstanding decks thanks to extensive guides and draft helpers. I still just do my own drafting and I do alright, but it's undeniably gotten harder.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No free pack from Tavern Brawl this week, the Winter Veil cardback is taking its place. People are raging!

Jozoz

Prophet

I think even HS veterans would agree Arena got a lot more competitive and difficult recently, especially after TGT.

Yeah I only stopped playing like 2 months ago, but it was a steady decline until I uninstalled.

Grubba

Arcane
No free pack from Tavern Brawl this week, the Winter Veil cardback is taking its place. People are raging!

Merry Christmas! Here's your gift, no more free packs! Instead here's something that nobody gives a shit about!

WhiteGuts

Arcane
They also pushed back the Tavern Brawl release for Europe. Now, it goes online at 10 PM.

It's like they are begging me to hate them or something.

UglyBastard

Arcane
You ungrateful fucks!

Is 10 FREE* packs not enough for you? No problem, here is a completely FREE card back on top of it! Still not enough? How about we improve the performance of the EU servers with rearrengement of the brawl times for YOUR convenience?

They are doing everything they can to satisfy your needs! What else do you expect them do? Nail themselves to a cross and die for your sins?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So much hate. I guess I can accept a card back once a year if it's a nice one and not throwing tantrums everytime Blizzard....

O728ZJU2O9X81450136637517.gif

raw

GrainWetski

Arcane
Blizzard can't even put their incompetence and greed aside during their Christmas event. Sounds about right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom