Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer Top RPG of all time

imweasel

Pretty laughable list with some incline thrown in.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Comparing it to their previous list, it has one huge incline - Skyrim was #6 in 2014, Morrowind wasn't on the list. Now Morrowind is #7, Skyrim is #21.

Of course, instead of admitting this 180°, they simply "updated" the list & URL, so I only know this because I had the previous one archived. Heh.

Dragula

Augur
Comparing it to their previous list, it has one huge incline - Skyrim was #6 in 2014, Morrowind wasn't on the list. Now Morrowind is #7, Skyrim is #21.

Of course, instead of admitting this 180°, they simply "updated" the list & URL, so I only know this because I had the previous one archived. Heh.
From which year was it? Can you post it?

Campion

Novice
That isn't an unreasonable list, but Diablo 3 has no place where it is and it's a joke that Undertale is there at all.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It was from July 2014:

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Baldur’s Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
3. Fallout 2
4. Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition
5. Mass Effect 2
6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
7. Deus Ex
8. Ultima VII: The Black Gate
9. System Shock 2
10. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
11. Dragon Age: Origins
12. Fallout: New Vegas
13. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
14. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
15. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II-The Sith Lords
16. Divinity: Original Sin
17. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
18. Gothic 2
19. Mount & Blade: Warband
20. Arx Fatalis
21. Torchlight 2
22. Legend of Grimrock
23. Anachronox
24. Dungeons of Dredmor
25. South Park: The Stick of Truth

How much does Reaper of Souls improve on Diablo 3?

I want an objective opinion, not Blizzard fanboys.

I seriously hated the art style and lack of gothic atmosphere of the original game.

List is surprisingly good. A few well-earned somewhat surprising choices there, Arx Fatalis for example.

Ordering of list is mostly random.

Arx Fatalis is a great game.

Superior to virtually everything Bethesda.

Better than later Piranha Bytes too.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is Torchlight 2 even a rpg? And Dungeon of Dredmor? Not a bad list I guess. One thing though. I'm not an JRPG expert but shouldn't that list at least contain 1 or 2?

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wonder if writer actually played any of em?

Doubt it, yesterday they gave a "pick of the year" to Homeworld remastered, a game that is full of bugs and broken beyond repair even if they want because the migration of engine of HW1.

Dragula

Augur
Even if the writes has not played any of the games, they are obviously responding to some sort of market pressure. Has the interest in the 90s classics increased? Can we see a trend on NMA/RPGcodex in amount of members?

pippin

Even if the writes has not played any of the games, they are obviously responding to some sort of market pressure. Has the interest in the 90s classics increased? Can we see a trend on NMA/RPGcodex in amount of members?

Most of the games that are popular these days are being sold as spiritual successors to 90s franchises. Also, you should check what's being hyped by popular youtube channels, they always bring back old games so new gamers can say they "played" them, it's an interesting phenomenon. But I think this must be some sort of reaction to the extremely negative opinion gamers have about gaming press in general. This might be a trick to appear as wolves in sheep's clothing, but it also can be an order from the investors to be more PR friendly.

BishopOfBattle

Literate

I seriously hated the art style and lack of gothic atmosphere of the original game.

A lot. The gothic atmossphere comes kinda sorta back in the reaper act and they improved on every system and made it actually a quite enjoyable game. I wouldn't say that it is as good as D2, but still solid now. The new game modes make it worthwile.

Inspectah

Savant

A lot. The gothic atmossphere comes kinda sorta back in the reaper act and they improved on every system and made it actually a quite enjoyable game. I wouldn't say that it is as good as D2, but still solid now. The new game modes make it worthwile.
I'd say the core of the game is still broken, and still, only 1 of all the acts is gothic, the rest is still disney shit.

slackerwizrd

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I should probably get banned for linking PC Gamer, but this list is to hilarious to pass up. It actually contains a bit of incline.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-rpgs-of-all-time-1

6. Mass Effect 2
15. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
21. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

No Fallout 1, Wizardy, IWD, or M&M, but these lovely gems get a slot. Seems fitting from pcgamer.

Well, at least Geneforge isn't on the list. :D

Shin

Cipher
I can't really fuck with their top 3. Mine would probably have the same games, in different order. And if you'd remove all action RPG's from the list, you'd end up with this top 10:

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Baldur’s Gate 2
3. Fallout 2
3. Ultima VII: The Black Gate
4. Dragon Age: Origins
5. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
6. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
7. Divinity: Original Sin
8. Pillars of Eternity
9. Neverwinter Nights 2
10. Undertale

Well, it's imho missing a lot of IE stuff, the original Fallout and Underrail. And the inclusion of DA:O and especially Undertale is rather painful (can't be the only one who read Underrail the first time).

TedNugent

Arcane
How do you call Diablo 3 a roleplaying game? It's an action game.

They switched out the entire class building/stat building system for a skill system that can be swapped out in real time before each encounter. You can completely reset all of your paragon points on a whim.

It improves on it if you're already addicted to the action gameplay or you're excited about "endgame" content. It is an endless hamster wheel laced with cheese. From that standpoint, it's a huge improvement to the endgame, but in terms of how much it actually improves the game? There's nothing that it adds to the experience, including the new chapter, which is a poorly written and fairly brief action romp that you're likely to only experience once before you go into the rift ladder. Rift ladders means you go into an arcade mode time trial that is the entire endgame. You go into Rift 1, rift 2, rift 3, rift 4, and so on with increasing difficulty until you can't beat the clock, then they let you upgrade a gem. So then you get Gem 1. Then Rift 1, rift 2, rift 3 and so on, then you get Gem 2. Rinse and repeat. The new content wasn't even a tenth of my experience, and I gave up on the rift ladder within 2 weeks.

I'm calling BS on your note about the gothic art design. Reaper was the shittiest boss ever. Like Magda level horseshit.

Coolest boss in Diablo 3 was the spider bitch and Azmodan.

I went back and played Diablo 1 recently and fuuuuck does it shit on Reaper of Souls in terms of the Gothic art design. Reaper was a corny boss. he looks like an anime toon.

Last edited:
It seems that, since the the Kickstarter craze that resurrected RPGs (?), people suddenly allow much more credit to old fucks like us discussing endlessly about old complex games, and that we are no more stupid weird guys with strange tastes or fascist trolls; serious designers do begin to hang around on this forum again.
(Even if people like Avellone never really left it).

We sure are trolls most of the time, but at the same time we are enlightened trolls who know the history of video games, and can ramble on for a 100 pages about The magic candle, Betrayal in Krondor or Might and Magic 2.
It's the only video game forum that I know where if I talk about the first interactive fictions from Interplay such as Mindshadow, The tracer sanction, Borrowed time or Tass times in Tone town, someone will actually know what I'm talking about.

hpstg

Savant
If PC Gamer's list was catering to the tastes of the Codex, something would be wrong either here or there. Idiots here diss the list of a mainstream magazine because it doesn't have games that are older than most of the people reading and writing said list. All things considered, that list might introduce people to games that are worthwhile and they might not uninstall after the first ten minutes. That's incline in my book.

Yes, hspgt, you're right. Sometimes we are so very luddite, prefering to break the machine instead of seeing the incline. Like Arthur Rimbaud wrote: "You have to be resolutely modern".
It's beautiful for us old fucks to discuss history, but at the same time it makes us sometime blind and hypocritical.

hpstg

Savant
Yes, hspgt, you're right. Sometimes we are so very luddite, prefering to break the machine instead of seeing the incline. Like Arthur Rimbaud wrote: "You have to be resolutely modern".
It's beautiful for us old fucks to discuss history, but at the same time it makes us sometime blind and hypocritical.
You just made me feel bad for calling people idiots. Or you trolled me with style showing that I belong too. No mater what :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom