Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What sort of stats would be advisable for one running Melee, Throwing, Hacking, Mechanics, Electronics, Chemistry, Tailoring, Biology? (perhaps trading lockingpicking for one of the craft skills?)

I presume you'd want 10 in Str and Con, while Dex and Int seem like good secondary stats. But with two 10s you're awful limited in the remainder.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What sort of stats would be advisable for one running Melee, Throwing, Hacking, Mechanics, Electronics, Chemistry, Tailoring, Biology? (perhaps trading lockingpicking for one of the craft skills?)

I presume you'd want 10 in Str and Con, while Dex and Int seem like good secondary stats. But with two 10s you're awful limited in the remainder.

Yep, trade bio for lockpicking imo, you can buy stim pack easily enough.

You need 6 agility for sprint, every melee build needs it, particularly with heavy armor and sledgehammer(which you seem to be building for), and 6 int for some crafting feats.

10,3,6,9,3,3,6 seems a decent start point with every boost going str after getting 10 con.

Stompa

Arcane
Are there any tips on how to deal with the horrible crafting system?
I have just the thing to help you with it.

16440_1293918468846_2182200_n.jpg

Dragula

Augur
I'm not sure if you all have low standards or what, but the crafting system is bad.

1) You get no visual feedback on which component you want to use, you have to cycle through them.
2) You have no idea in stores which components goes where unless you learn it by heart.

I don't mind bad UIs, I love Dwarf Fortress. But this is a part that could definitely use some improvement.

epeli

Arcane
Underrail wiki goes down, 20 minutes later someone complains he can't figure crafting out. Like a clockwork. :lol:

Luzur

Good Sir
guys GUYS

Im having abit of a pinch here.

Last night i went and loaded up my Udnerrail game to continue on this new mission iw as sent on som outer GMS bunker raid thing (second mission i think?) and when i arrived (after getting lost a couple of times due to the bare minimum road explaination..)i saved, now last night i loaded up that save and suddenly i get "Area Transition Failure" when trying to go deeper into the bunker, and also if i tried leaveing the area at all.

Anyway, after like 4-5 reloads and "Area Transition Failure" it suddenly started working again, i retreated towards the main base again and saved, now i get "Failure to Load Save Game" on that save, and that is my main save too..

Is this game like in Beta still? my version is 1.0.0.0 and was a gift.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
So. Restarting. Difficulty Hard, Oddity xp.

Going with str 3, dex 4, agi 3, con 3, per 7, will 10, int 10.

Going crafting (mechanic, electro, biology, tailoring), psi, and persuasion/intimidate and hacking/lockpicking.

Will post impressions

Ok so far so good. Got to lvl 8, am supposed to head to Depot A now. Got crafting up to 60ish and psi skills are 75ish. Walking left-right to find some good parts for a ballistic vest and headband (crafting psion gear).

GOt a few of those "zone transition failed" - first time today when i wanted to travel to junktown via boat. Is there a fix?

blamzooie

Educated
Copied without permission from Steam here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/250520/discussions/0/494632768628281215/

I found this to be really helpful.

So I've played in the beta for a very long time, and I see a lot of people having trouble designing builds for the game. Underrail is has a very in-depth character build system, and it's very min/maxy, so a poorly designed build can even have trouble on easy mode. So here's some of the basics to help you guys figure it out. Attributes in particular are a big way to screw up, so I'll talk about that first.

--DEFENSE--

Your defensive attributes pretty much dictate how you will play the game. A psionic tank is not so much different from an assault tank in the way you fight battles. There are 3 main defense setups:

Heavy tank:

Strength- 7 to 9
Constitution- 10+

The tank build puts a lot of attributes just into defense for high hit points. The variability in strength has to do with which armours you can wear. If you're willing to lose a few AP by sitting in steel armour with 7 strength for a while, you can save an extra stat since excess strength is not very good. I wouldn't recommend going below 9 if this is your first time playing.

Assasin-

Agility 6+
Constitution 3-5

Assasins are probably the most fun to play, and many quests in the game have this theme to them. The idea behind the assasin is that many offensive builds are much better with higher attributes, so you stealth before battle and hit them so hard they can't fight you back effectively as you run away.

Many feats even work around this concept like hit and run, tranquility, and psionic mania. Agiilty is mostly for stealth and some barebones defensive feats like sprint, evasive maneuvers, and uncanny dodge, but you should probably not bother going very high in those skills at all (particular dodge which kinda sucks), as mostly you don't want anyone standing when it comes time for them to hit you.

Hybrid-

Str- 5+
Agility 7+
Constitution: 10+
Dex: 5+

I wouldn't recommend this playstyle, but you can mix constituion with high evasion and dodge to have some pretty good defense. One problem with this is that while you can avoid stun with thick skull, you can't to my knowledge avoid all immobilization even with the feat for it, which will leave you a sitting duck in many cases with poor armour.

--OFFENSE--

Psionics:

Will 12+

Using psionics as your primary offense requires enough so that you rarely if ever fail which requires a large investment.

Knife/unarmed

Dex 13+

Dexterity lowers action point costs by a flat amount, which becomes very powerful as that amount approaches 1 AP. If you're going dex, go all in.

Pistol:

Dex 8+
Perception 10+

Sledgehammer:

Str 10+
Agility 6+

Hammer builds require a lot of attributes all over the place, but also need high strength since you get a whole 10% extra damage per strength above the requirement. You should definitely have 6 agility for sprint regardless of armor choice.

Assault:

Strength 7
Perception 8+

Assaults need 7 for various assult weapon feats, and a high perception as perception affects your ranged damage. However, very high perception is debatable in worth. You can go very low if you supplement your offense with some other offense

Sniper

Perception 10+

Basically needed for, of course, the sniper feat.

--GENERAL BREAKPOINTS--

Much of the reason for having a certain amount in attributes is to get a particular feat. In some cases, there is little point in progressing past the stat because there aren't many good feats left.

Strength:

7, 8 ,9

Basically, 7 for full auto, some defensive feats, and some end game armour. 8 or 9 for steel or titanium armor

Dex:

6-7 for extra grenades and many crossbow feats. Mostly, however, dex is an all or nothing stat.

Agility:

6-7 for defensive and stealthy stats

Constitution:

5 for conditioning, 10 for thick skull

Will:

7 for many psionic abilityes, 10 for locus of control. You can use psi with as low as 3 even, as certain psioinic abilities do not fail.

Perception:

6 for aimed shot, 10 for snipe

Intelligence-

There's really only 2 values you should ever choose. 3 or 7. 3 if you don't craft, 7 if you do.

--EXAMPLES--

Heavy Assault:

Strength 7-9
Constitution 10+
Perception: 10+
Intelligence 3 or 7

^ Probably the easiest build to play. Assault rifle things to death. Optionally add on psionics, but I wouldn't raise will at all.

Cuthroat:

Dex: All in
Consitution: 5+
Agility 7
Intelligence 7
Perception: 6

^ perception for machine gun for some special ammo

Light Psiker:

Will: All in
Agility: 7
Intelligence: 7
Con 7 (extra con for stoicism)

Heavy Psiker:

Will 13
Con: 10
Strength 7-9
Intelligence 3 or 7

Hammer:

Strength: 10
Consitution: 10
Agility 6
Intelligence: 3 or 7
Dex 5 (or whatever is for the feat)

--SKILLS--

Honestly you can write a book on skills so I won't :D Get the skills for the feats you need, max at least one combat skill, and put high levels in the crafting skills you want, and the rest is very subject. Tanks should not bother with evasion/dodge, and assasins should probably not have much dodge if any.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'LU-SouthGateStation - Lower Underrail: South Gate Station'. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryObjectWithMapTyped.Read(__BinaryParser input)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadObjectWithMapTyped(BinaryHeaderEnum binaryHeaderEnum)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.Run()
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
at byw.DeserializeFromBinaryInternal[T](Stream stream, SerializationBinder binder, Int64 dataModelVersion)
at byw.DeserializeFromBinaryFileCompressed[T](String filePath, SerializationBinder binder, Boolean tryToRetrieveDataModelVersion)
at agb.a(String A_0)
at ato.xu(ep A_0, Boolean A_1)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at b4d.LogAndThrow[T](Exception innerException, LogSeverity severity, String message, Object[] messageArgs)
at a7e.ab8(Boolean A_0, Boolean A_1)
at avz.wj(af8 A_0)
at wv.c(af8 A_0)
at a4j.a(af8 A_0)
at a4j.b(af8 A_0)
at a4j.cw(af8 A_0)
at wv.e(af8 A_0)

Posting here as well. This is the latest log from zone transition error when i try to get to Junktown. Trouble started after a major slowdown when i returend to SGS base, mouse barely moved, everything started to stutter. Had to reboot the PC.

Is there any workaround or someting since at this point this cockblocks me completely, i cant enter junktown either via boat or on foot. :/ :/ :/

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Copied without permission from Steam here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/250520/discussions/0/494632768628281215/

I found this to be really helpful.

So I've played in the beta for a very long time, and I see a lot of people having trouble designing builds for the game. Underrail is has a very in-depth character build system, and it's very min/maxy, so a poorly designed build can even have trouble on easy mode. So here's some of the basics to help you guys figure it out. Attributes in particular are a big way to screw up, so I'll talk about that first.

--DEFENSE--

Your defensive attributes pretty much dictate how you will play the game. A psionic tank is not so much different from an assault tank in the way you fight battles. There are 3 main defense setups:

Heavy tank:

Strength- 7 to 9
Constitution- 10+

The tank build puts a lot of attributes just into defense for high hit points. The variability in strength has to do with which armours you can wear. If you're willing to lose a few AP by sitting in steel armour with 7 strength for a while, you can save an extra stat since excess strength is not very good. I wouldn't recommend going below 9 if this is your first time playing.

Assasin-

Agility 6+
Constitution 3-5

Assasins are probably the most fun to play, and many quests in the game have this theme to them. The idea behind the assasin is that many offensive builds are much better with higher attributes, so you stealth before battle and hit them so hard they can't fight you back effectively as you run away.

Many feats even work around this concept like hit and run, tranquility, and psionic mania. Agiilty is mostly for stealth and some barebones defensive feats like sprint, evasive maneuvers, and uncanny dodge, but you should probably not bother going very high in those skills at all (particular dodge which kinda sucks), as mostly you don't want anyone standing when it comes time for them to hit you.

Hybrid-

Str- 5+
Agility 7+
Constitution: 10+
Dex: 5+

I wouldn't recommend this playstyle, but you can mix constituion with high evasion and dodge to have some pretty good defense. One problem with this is that while you can avoid stun with thick skull, you can't to my knowledge avoid all immobilization even with the feat for it, which will leave you a sitting duck in many cases with poor armour.

--OFFENSE--

Psionics:

Will 12+

Using psionics as your primary offense requires enough so that you rarely if ever fail which requires a large investment.

Knife/unarmed

Dex 13+

Dexterity lowers action point costs by a flat amount, which becomes very powerful as that amount approaches 1 AP. If you're going dex, go all in.

Pistol:

Dex 8+
Perception 10+

Sledgehammer:

Str 10+
Agility 6+

Hammer builds require a lot of attributes all over the place, but also need high strength since you get a whole 10% extra damage per strength above the requirement. You should definitely have 6 agility for sprint regardless of armor choice.

Assault:

Strength 7
Perception 8+

Assaults need 7 for various assult weapon feats, and a high perception as perception affects your ranged damage. However, very high perception is debatable in worth. You can go very low if you supplement your offense with some other offense

Sniper

Perception 10+

Basically needed for, of course, the sniper feat.

--GENERAL BREAKPOINTS--

Much of the reason for having a certain amount in attributes is to get a particular feat. In some cases, there is little point in progressing past the stat because there aren't many good feats left.

Strength:

7, 8 ,9

Basically, 7 for full auto, some defensive feats, and some end game armour. 8 or 9 for steel or titanium armor

Dex:

6-7 for extra grenades and many crossbow feats. Mostly, however, dex is an all or nothing stat.

Agility:

6-7 for defensive and stealthy stats

Constitution:

5 for conditioning, 10 for thick skull

Will:

7 for many psionic abilityes, 10 for locus of control. You can use psi with as low as 3 even, as certain psioinic abilities do not fail.

Perception:

6 for aimed shot, 10 for snipe

Intelligence-

There's really only 2 values you should ever choose. 3 or 7. 3 if you don't craft, 7 if you do.

--EXAMPLES--

Heavy Assault:

Strength 7-9
Constitution 10+
Perception: 10+
Intelligence 3 or 7

^ Probably the easiest build to play. Assault rifle things to death. Optionally add on psionics, but I wouldn't raise will at all.

Cuthroat:

Dex: All in
Consitution: 5+
Agility 7
Intelligence 7
Perception: 6

^ perception for machine gun for some special ammo

Light Psiker:

Will: All in
Agility: 7
Intelligence: 7
Con 7 (extra con for stoicism)

Heavy Psiker:

Will 13
Con: 10
Strength 7-9
Intelligence 3 or 7

Hammer:

Strength: 10
Consitution: 10
Agility 6
Intelligence: 3 or 7
Dex 5 (or whatever is for the feat)

--SKILLS--

Honestly you can write a book on skills so I won't :D Get the skills for the feats you need, max at least one combat skill, and put high levels in the crafting skills you want, and the rest is very subject. Tanks should not bother with evasion/dodge, and assasins should probably not have much dodge if any.

Ill add that info to the OP. Good job finding it.

epeli

Arcane
System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'LU-SouthGateStation - Lower Underrail: South Gate Station'. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryObjectWithMapTyped.Read(__BinaryParser input)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadObjectWithMapTyped(BinaryHeaderEnum binaryHeaderEnum)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
at byw.DeserializeFromBinaryInternal[T](Stream stream, SerializationBinder binder, Int64 dataModelVersion)
at byw.DeserializeFromBinaryFileCompressed[T](String filePath, SerializationBinder binder, Boolean tryToRetrieveDataModelVersion)
at agb.a(String A_0)
at b4d.LogAndThrow[T](Exception innerException, LogSeverity severity, String message, Object[] messageArgs)
at avz.wj(af8 A_0)
at wv.c(af8 A_0)
at a4j.a(af8 A_0)
at a4j.b(af8 A_0)
at a4j.cw(af8 A_0)
at wv.e(af8 A_0)

Posting here as well. This is the latest log from zone transition error when i try to get to Junktown. Trouble started after a major slowdown when i returend to SGS base, mouse barely moved, everything started to stutter. Had to reboot the PC.

Is there any workaround or someting since at this point this cockblocks me completely, i cant enter junktown either via boat or on foot. :/ :/ :/

Damn, that can still happen? Just restart the game if any of that happens and it won't happen again in a long time.

I've a couple of questions: How long did you play before that started happening? What's your .NET version and how much RAM do you have?

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
at agb.a(String A_0)
at avz.wj(af8 A_0)
at wv.c(af8 A_0)
at a4j.a(af8 A_0)
at a4j.b(af8 A_0)
at a4j.cw(af8 A_0)
at wv.e(af8 A_0)

Damn, that can still happen? Just restart the game if any of that happens and it won't happen again in a long time.

I've a couple of questions: How long did you play before that started happening? What's your .NET version and how much RAM do you have?

Been playing for couple of hours, but it started right after a MAJOR slowdown. Also noticed today that steam had updated Underrail to 1.0.0.1.

I have 6GB of RAM, Running win 7 64bit .NET version is 6.4. Restarted the game multiple times, also rebooted my PC. NOTHING works. I can play in other areas safely, but i cant enter zones near Junktown or reach Junktown via boat. :///////

epeli

Arcane
Been playing for couple of hours, but it started right after a MAJOR slowdown. Also noticed today that steam had updated Underrail to 1.0.0.1.

I have 6GB of RAM, Running win 7 64bit .NET version is 6.4. Restarted the game multiple times, also rebooted my PC. NOTHING works. I can play in other areas safely, but i cant enter zones near Junktown or reach Junktown via boat. :///////

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought .NET issue we fixed had resurfaced, but this seems to be something different. :\ Could you repost it in http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?board=3.0 to make sure Styg doesn't miss it? He should be able to help you. The more details you can provide, the better.

Luzur

Good Sir
at agb.a(String A_0)
at avz.wj(af8 A_0)
at wv.c(af8 A_0)
at a4j.a(af8 A_0)
at a4j.b(af8 A_0)
at a4j.cw(af8 A_0)
at wv.e(af8 A_0)

I have the same error it seems, i was in Junktown and cannot exit it anymore, nor will my main savegame load anymore so i have to load a autosave.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Guys, just a quick notice - I appreciate all bug reporting, but if you could, I'd prefer you do it on official forums (or even Steam forums) because I'm less likely to miss it there. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom