Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer Top RPG of all time

I never troll anybody, I really write what I think, it would be time wasted if I did differently.
Salute brother.

(And don't forget, if it is not already done, to take a look at the great work of felipepe for his free book in the Codex Workshop section, he's a great generous archivist who really wants for people to understand where do we come from).

Last edited:

slackerwizrd

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If PC Gamer's list was catering to the tastes of the Codex, something would be wrong either here or there. Idiots here diss the list of a mainstream magazine because it doesn't have games that are older than most of the people reading and writing said list. All things considered, that list might introduce people to games that are worthwhile and they might not uninstall after the first ten minutes. That's incline in my book.

Speaking as an old grump, I pretty much hate all "Top 10" style lists. I much prefer "You should try X if you like Y" lists as an introduction list to more "treasured" picks.

TedNugent

Arcane
We sure are trolls most of the time, but at the same time we are enlightened trolls who know the history of video games, and can ramble on for a 100 pages about The magic candle, Betrayal in Krondor or Might and Magic 2.
It's the only video game forum that I know where if I talk about the first interactive fictions from Interplay such as Mindshadow, The tracer sanction, Borrowed time or Tass times in Tone town, someone will actually know what I'm talking about.

You should know that, as a stupid kid, I really appreciate the grizzled knowledge on this forum. I appreciate that somebody knows what they're talking about so that I don't have to rely on horseshit like PCGamer/Neofag.

Beastro

Arcane
About South Park :
A Solid games without anything to complain about
What about level scaling? I am ok to say they are games where it's even more annoying, but it's always a bad thing.

Game doesn't last long enough for it to be annoying. By the time it stands out, at least it did to me, I was already almost max and the game was about to end.

Dragula

Augur
I never really noticed any level scaling in South Park. I do remember Manbearpig though, I had to grind to beat that boss.

Arx Fatalis is a great game.
Arx Fatalis is what I think every first person real time crpg should be like. Not like Dungeon Master/Grimrock.

Hopefully Underworld Ascendant is a step in the right direction because it's not impressive from what I've seen so far.

Dark Messiah, also made by Arkane Studios, is a damn good game in its own right, even if it's only a first person hack & slash.

Actually, I remember it getting trashed with all kinds of nasty critic reviews, but it's developed a cult following judging by the current Metacritic score:

72/87 critics to users

I tried to play the first Grimrock and it was generic garbage.

You just made me feel bad for calling people idiots.

You shouldn't feel bad for merely calling people idiots, rather you should feel bad for being one.

Idiots here diss the list of a mainstream magazine because it doesn't have games that are older than most of the people reading and writing said list.

The title of the list is "The best RPGs of all time", and not "The best RPGs developed within the merge lifetime of the average millennial fuckwit".

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The title of the list is "The best RPGs of all time", and not "The best RPGs developed within the merge lifetime of the average millennial fuckwit".
You're raging WRONG:

Our Criteria
Whenever we sit down to argue our way through a list of the best games, our first step is deciding what “best” even means. In this case, we’re identifying which RPGs are fun right now. Games age; they’re products of the technology they were built on, and the technology that seemed cutting edge 25 years ago may be junk today.
Now rage that Dungeon Master is more fun that any modern popamole shit.

Androv

Novice
This list sounds more like a preferred story list than anything else. KotOR II beating out KotOR I. Did they reach that reasoning in the middle of sleeping through Peragus or in the middle of crying through Malachor V?

And if I have to see Planescape rated higher than BG2 one more time I'm finally gonna put that crossbow in my mouth.

typical user

Arbiter
>Dragon Age Origins rated higher than Witcher 2 and New Vegas

>No Fallout 1

>Skyrim aka Morrowind copy-paste for morons higher than Gothic 2

>Diablo considered RPG

Basically list of good old RPGs randomized with pile of shit because gaming journalism is full of paid whores and mental-ill faggots.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
These lists are junk. I mean how many times do we need to see the same predictable games with their order shuffled around slightly each year? Its practically been the same list since the late 90's / early 00's. Time and energy would be better spent on making, for example, lists of hidden gems, but that would require these hacks to leave their comfort zone.

Azarkon

Arcane
I've seen many lists with Planescape: Torment towards the top over the years, but it never ultimately matters. Avellone was at Obsidian for, what, ten years? And they never even tried to make a game similar to Torment with him.

You're raging WRONG
clickbait said:
... In this case, we’re identifying which RPGs are fun right now ...
I think not. SSI's Gold Box series, and many other '80s and early '90s games, are fun right now. RIGHT NOW. AS I TYPE THIS. FUN. They haven't been superseded by anything. In any case ...

clickbait said:
Whenever we sit down to argue our way through a list of the best games, our first step is deciding what “best” even means.
Did you guys try consulting a dictionary? Because it's in the fucking dictionary. It only has one meaning, and you're compiling a shitty click-bait list -- not an exercise in postmodernism. "Best RPGs of all time" does not mean "Recent RPGs we liked with a few old, but not too old, games thrown in for hipster cred".

This list sounds more like a preferred story list than anything else.
Their definition of "RPG" appears to lean that way:
clickbait said:
This list represents our best definition of the canonical RPG—games that emphasize story; that let you inhabit a customizable character through skill points, inventory, and dialogue decisions; that include complex, controllable relationships with companions or non-playable characters. That leaves flexibility in how the game is controlled, what perspective it uses, or what setting it takes place in.
They could have just said "Bioware game".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gotta love The Witcher 3 being so high. The new hotness always shoots to the top like that. I remember PC Gamer once saying Oblivion was the best RPG ever. At least this time they went for #4.

Androv

Novice
Thanks for reinforcing the retarded new user stereotype.
By preferring a BioWare game over a Obsidian one at RPG Codex? Or do you mean by preferring another BioWare game over the holy and untouchable Planescape:Torment?

Fairfax

Arcane
Those are two symptoms. There's also the fact that of all things the list could be criticized for, you chose to complain about two BioWare games being too low for you.

Androv

Novice
Those are two symptoms. There's also the fact that of all things the list could be criticized for, you chose to complain about two BioWare games being too low for you.
Very well. Mass Effect 2 is a piece of shit and DA:O is also too high on the list. But of course it's gonna infuriate me more when games I like are lower ranked than turds.

You know like having an okay boss battle with a masked dude draining people gets overlooked by an old lady giving life to three sabers hunting you through a circle.

You can't come here and talk shit about everyone's favorite JRPG.
But I didn't even mention everyone's favorite CRPG Pokémon.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Should I consider it :incline: that a Grimrock game is on their list or consider it :decline: that Dungeon Master is conspicuously absent?

Our Criteria
Whenever we sit down to argue our way through a list of the best games, our first step is deciding what “best” even means. In this case, we’re identifying which RPGs are fun right now. Games age; they’re products of the technology they were built on, and the technology that seemed cutting edge 25 years ago may be junk today.

This list represents our best definition of the canonical RPG—games that emphasize story; that let you inhabit a customizable character through skill points, inventory, and dialogue decisions; that include complex, controllable relationships with companions or non-playable characters.
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom