Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Cadmus

Arcane
I think even animals have the decency to move remains away from their home. The NPCs are literally subhumans.

Stopped reading before I vomit.
And that's okay. :M

I've created a topic on reddit about Total Biscuit's opinion on Fallout 4 (he was very critical, so I had a blast reading comments). After about 10 hours thread disappeard from main page of Fallout subreddit and I got message from a bot:

I'm a bot, bleep, bloop. Someone has linked to this thread from another place on reddit:
If you follow any of the above links, please respect the rules of reddit and don't vote in the other threads. (Info / Contact)

What the hell does it mean? Thread wasn't just deleted, I can still access it from my profile
It meant your thread got moved to the "circle jerk" subforum. It's not censorship, we just felt negative words weren't adequate for this environment and relocated it to a more suitable home.
I got cancer from reading Reddit the other day, horrible creatures.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gamebanshee review: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/116567-fallout-4-review.html

Overall, I enjoyed Fallout 4 a lot more than I was expecting. Part of how I rate a game is whether I'm happy or sad when I have to move on to my next review, and with Fallout 4 I'm on the sad side of the ledger. I ran through the game pretty easily on the "normal" difficulty setting -- I could tell I was too powerful when a suicide bomber sneaked up behind me and detonated a mini nuke... and only took off about half my health -- but my character playing on the "survival" setting is having a tougher time, and I'm curious if the game can maintain the challenge all the way through.

In any case, Fallout 4 is in pretty good shape now. The game is stable, the locations are plentiful, and there are numerous interesting quests to complete -- and this is all without a lot of mods being available since Bethesda still hasn't released their construction kit (it's apparently waiting in a "to do" queue along with the manual). So if you like open world RPGs in general, or Bethesda's offerings in particular, then Fallout 4 is a worthwhile game to pick up.

Years ago I visited Gamebanshee daily and considered them one of the few remaining game news outlets worth reading. Then I read a editorial praising Dragon Age Origins which considered it a brilliant game and a worthy successor to BG2. It was the first time for me to preorder a game and after finishing it it was the last time I read any of their articles.

typical user

Arbiter
Gamebanshee review: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/116567-fallout-4-review.html

Overall, I enjoyed Fallout 4 a lot more than I was expecting. Part of how I rate a game is whether I'm happy or sad when I have to move on to my next review, and with Fallout 4 I'm on the sad side of the ledger. I ran through the game pretty easily on the "normal" difficulty setting -- I could tell I was too powerful when a suicide bomber sneaked up behind me and detonated a mini nuke... and only took off about half my health -- but my character playing on the "survival" setting is having a tougher time, and I'm curious if the game can maintain the challenge all the way through.

In any case, Fallout 4 is in pretty good shape now. The game is stable, the locations are plentiful, and there are numerous interesting quests to complete -- and this is all without a lot of mods being available since Bethesda still hasn't released their construction kit (it's apparently waiting in a "to do" queue along with the manual). So if you like open world RPGs in general, or Bethesda's offerings in particular, then Fallout 4 is a worthwhile game to pick up.

Years ago I visited Gamebanshee daily and considered them one of the few remaining game news outlets worth reading. Then I read a editorial praising Dragon Age Origins which considered it a brilliant game and a worthy successor to BG2. It was the first time for me to preorder a game and after finishing it it was the last time I read any of their articles.

You don't preorder. You pirate it because gaming journalism gets free stuff to write "appropiate" review and game trailers show you flashy CGI not actual gameplay and they strip their games from half features previous title had.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

You don't preorder. You pirate it because gaming journalism gets free stuff to write "appropiate" review and game trailers show you flashy CGI not actual gameplay and they strip their games from half features previous title had.

You are preaching to the choir.

Its been a long time since any sane person took gaming media seriously in their opinion. I do remember exact moment when I gave up last remains of hope for mainstream journalists to provide decent articles, and that was after Unreal 2 got praised everywhere.

But to me there was a holy trinity of Gamebanshee, NMA and Codex which I considered last bastions of objectivity. Small niche sites filled with RPG enthusiasts who seemed to be resisting the decline while remembering the good old days.

Then Gamebanshee went down the hill slowly but surely while NMA got politically correct treatment.

Codex on the other hand recently got it share of decline and is far from perfect but it is the best we got.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
FYI

Whoever made the Texture optimization mod is a fucking retard, they degraded the visuals and removed the proper optimizations already in place.

Effectively, if you don't use the mod the game loads the texture into your VRAM depending on how far away the PC is from it. This modder has halved the size of all files, and has not archived them correctly meaning it's loaded into your VRAM in its full state, which is really dumb.

Seethe

Arbiter
I think even animals have the decency to move remains away from their home. The NPCs are literally subhumans.

And that's okay. :M

I've created a topic on reddit about Total Biscuit's opinion on Fallout 4 (he was very critical, so I had a blast reading comments). After about 10 hours thread disappeard from main page of Fallout subreddit and I got message from a bot:

I'm a bot, bleep, bloop. Someone has linked to this thread from another place on reddit:
If you follow any of the above links, please respect the rules of reddit and don't vote in the other threads. (Info / Contact)

What the hell does it mean? Thread wasn't just deleted, I can still access it from my profile
It meant your thread got moved to the "circle jerk" subforum. It's not censorship, we just felt negative words weren't adequate for this environment and relocated it to a more suitable home.

The comments on that thread......

I mean these are the same people who visit gaming subreddits, so I am not surprised. They probably beg their grandmas to knit them Vault Boy socks so they can post them on /r/gaming.

pippin

I only visited gamebanshee for the walkthroughs, in fact I thought it was a walkthrough site and the news were there just as an extra feature.

Jozoz

Prophet

Look, anyone who's played New Vegas can agree that Fallout 4 doesn't have the same level of depth or roleplay potential. And that's okay. Fallout 4 was created as a different experience than the previous games, and that's okay. Fallout 4 is, despite what everyone seems to be saying, a good game. And that's okay. People have complaints about Fallout 4, valid complaints, and that's okay.

That line is exactly why I felt I needed to share it.

typical user

Arbiter
It is funny how r/Fallout 4 is full of critisism, people pointing out how that game is bland, but r/Fallout is all about Bethesduh crap, rarely I see someone discussing Fo1 or Fo2 or admitting Fo3/Fo4 are just The Elder Scrolls with guns.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Because none of them have played Fallout 1/2. They're all 90s kids who were still shitting themselves when those games came out. They don't know that Fallout has ever been anything different than Fallout 3.

A few years back, I corrected a couple of things on the Fallout wiki and got some fucking admin guy arguing with me about my changes, and he just said right out he'd never played the original games. It seems absurd that these guys who are so obsessed with the Fallout franchise that they hang around on subreddits and wikis dedicated to it, yet they never even bothered to find out what the original fuss was about. Even if they're just kids who haven't got any money to buy the games, they were free on GOG during the Fuck You, Bethesda sale. It's not Fallout they care about really, it's the Bethesda omnigame with guns that they like.

pippin

I was more into games like Thief or Heretic 2 when Fallout 1 and 2 came out, but it's not like we are talking about ancient documents lost to mankind here. I mean, you could at least watch a Lets Play in youtube if you don't want to play them, but the actual refusal to have anything to do with the early games really confuses me.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Because none of them have played Fallout 1/2. They're all 90s kids who were still shitting themselves when those games came out. They don't know that Fallout has ever been anything different than Fallout 3
One day a Fallout fan told me that he immediately stoped playing Fallout 1 because "it lacks immersion and it is not like fallout 3" and "it doesn't have teleport fast travel" and "VATS was much better in Bethesda games".

MWaser

Arbiter
Because none of them have played Fallout 1/2. They're all 90s kids who were still shitting themselves when those games came out. They don't know that Fallout has ever been anything different than Fallout 3
One day a Fallout fan told me that he immediately stoped playing Fallout 1 because "it lacks immersion and it is not like fallout 3" and "it doesn't have teleport fast travel" and "VATS was much better in Bethesda games".
What, no mentions about the lack of quest compass? I'm disappointed.

Also immersion for most people means "how much you feel like you are the character", and apparently judged by first person perspective and fluidity of movement, because I guess that makes people think they're really in game or something.

I was like six year old when the original Fallout came out, live in the third world and I know more than these tards.
I love when they try to push the "I tried the originals but dat outdated gameplay makes it hard to play!" excuse. Bitch, it's point and click. If you can open this thread and read this post, you're qualified.

MWaser

Arbiter
I was like six year old when the original Fallout came out, live in the third world and I know more than these tards.
I love when they try to push the "I tried the originals but dat outdated gameplay makes it hard to play!" excuse. Bitch, it's point and click. If you can open this thread and read this post, you're qualified.
Note: requires thinking. This adds quite a huge skill requirement.

Lemming42

Arcane
The original Fallout games are incredibly easy to play, too, compared with other isometric 90s cRPGs. There's not really any excuse for a "Fallout fan" to not play them. It's bewildering that people proclaiming to be a franchises' greatest fan would miss out on two out of five games (not counting Tactics and BoS). Do other series have the same problem?

Most people probably take one look at them graphically, shit themselves and never look back again. The difference from Fo3/NV is enough for a lot of kids and retarded adults to just write them off without a thought, I guess.

Don't want to single this guy out but there's a super cringeworthy YouTube guy who might have been posted once or twice already and has Bethesda's cock firmly and immovably lodged in his throat. Hyped the shit out of Fallout 4 before release, made videos at autistic speeds about how pre-release naysayers were completely wrong about whatever he imagined they were saying, ultimately called his review "Fallout 4 - A Near Perfect Game" etc. Here's his explanation of why he, the world's greatest Fallout fan, can't play Fallout:

SHOCK TWIST: Some "updated" thoughts according to an annotation, which I'm not going to watch.

pippin

MrMattyPlays is fucking disgusting. He might as well be one of the biggest shills in the whole internet.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes, because criticizing F4 in a Codex circle jerk is so much "manlier" than trying to educate (or at least annoy) some fanboys somewhere else:roll:
Your problem is that you didn't collect the salt, forcing us to go to reddit ourselves. If you want to harvest those brofists, you need to show how butthurt they are about it. Worked for me when I went on the BSN and now I'm a veritable e-celeb on Codex!

:negative:

MrMattyPlays is fucking disgusting. He might as well be one of the biggest shills in the whole internet.
Disgusting yes, but he is not my favourite Bethesda Fallout shill by far. I remember when the Fallout 4 leaks were doing the rounds, a youtuber going by the name of LoneVaultWanderer impotently raged for 10-15 minutes about how much he hated leakers and how THE FANS were waiting for SEVEN YEARS FOR THIS. I think the video is deleted now, but it was hilarious stuff. Even moreso because I didn't think us Aussies could sound so pathetic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom