Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, except they come from different worlds (literally and figuratively) and had almost zero contact before Erd took the castle. The only thing they have to bond over is 'nice boobs/wings.'
Speak for yourself, will you? They have a common goal that serves as the basis for their partnership. Plus, there is our organization that we hope she will enlist in eventually.

They have common history, and now Erdrick poses as a 'heir' to Vaalgarf, the promised savior of monsterkind, while Rin is his grand-grand-grand-daughter.

Plus, our boy makes her food. :M

Is 80% of this thread now nevill arguing with treave about how the story should go
With anyone on the Codex willing to engage.

Pretty much the only people who love to discuss the direction the story has taken/should take are lightbane, Kipeci, and occasionally Baltika/Elfberserker (Esquilax is a rare guest nowadays). :M

Edit:
Speaking of him, anyone else down with making Erd live vicariously through him?
It would be funny, if nothing else.

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
It's not a demand. You're basically telling her that she's more important to you than potentially losing the village.

Ah, this changes things. The choice makes it sound more like a demand, but I'll flop to BA for this. I mean Rin thinking we're gay is pretty funny, but at some point we also need to let her know we're really just ogling those 11/10 tits.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
This changes things drastically.

flopping to BB

Sorry village you were nice project, but Rin is damn important

edit: got panicked there for second.

Tigranes

Arcane
B* for now. So I think Kipeci's logic on young Arlin is pretty flawless - we don't want all the ladies going to Arlin 10 years down the line, and us missing out, unless we're breeding his body and groin to take for ourselves later.

On Rin.... I thought it's a better idea for her to go and try her thing, since it won't do for her to continue to feel that she is useless and that she's not trusted, but if 2A is not a demand but a plea about her importance, that sounds a better way of building up the relationship. But I don't know, seems like 2B would also please her. And to be honest her logic is correct that we do not necessarily want to expose ourselves to their mindrays.

Kipeci

Arcane
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and vote B on this. Rin has been behaving pretty competently thus far, she's certainly improved in facing the cloaked folks and I trust her to be more cautious among them now. (1) Besides that, people attack when you're at your most vulnerable, not your most able; as wide-ranging as these cultists seem to be, if they manage to narrow down the location of the village and know about the massive expedition, they'll be sure to strike and cause a lot of damage. Rin is durable as balls, the goblins and slimes and Zayan are... squishier. (2) Rin getting brainwashed and attacking us is essentially the worst case scenario and that's already happened with us being able to win out in the end (and now we have the gauntlet which could probably have helped out even more in that case) so I don't think there's that much of a problem with sending Rin out. (3) I'd rather her be on a high-level mission that she can handle rather than getting cabin fever in the village, anyway. As an added plus, if Rin's not around when the expedition shows up, that's much more XP for Trider and his subordinates to pick up on, and I'm sure she won't be missing out on gaining any herself when she's out in the wilds attacking those shady foes. (4) If she gets overwhelmed or comes across very important information, it's also easy enough for her to teleport back in the majority of cases. Actually, treave, could we ask for Rin to zip back in and give a brief report to camp if she comes across incredibly important information to us at some point in her travel?
Alright, I am feeeling talkative today. :M

So let's see the pro and contra of this argument.

(1) Yes, allowing her to stay is a risk. Says so in the choice. The difference is risking the village vs. risking Rin - plus, having her to defend from several possible attackers vs. not having her around while only attacked by adventurers whom we've so far ignored. This seems to balance out.

Rin's durability may yet play a low-down trick on us. That brings us to (2).

We don't know the mechanism for brainwashing yet, and we don't know if that's what is Rin more likely to face. The second person didn't have anything on him, but that's not telling us much because he wasn't prepared to find trouble. However, so far we have seen the cloaked people are related to Byarlant, and Athos belongs to a Byarlant archmage, so this remains a possibility. Last time we were able to overcome Rin, but there were two factors playing in our favor - she was wounded, and she resisted the brainwashing, allowing us to strike her down despite being inferior to her in combat. While we now have Barbatos, it is unknown how much of an equalizer he would be were these two factors removed.

(3) I'll give you the XP argument. The halo upgrade is too shiny.

(4) Rin? Fleeing when overwhelmed? Do you remember our encounter in the Demon Palace? :)

Rina-fumblerina is also Rina-spacemarina. :M

My only caveat would be to give her some way of instantly communicating a crisis to us (an alert medallion or something). Not because we don't trust her, but because we're partners.
I'd be down with that, actually.

But even if we could create one, what are we supposed to do if we receive an alert and we don't know where she is or how to track her?

Zayan and Erdrick are fellow magical researchers/geniuses, they have something to bond over. Aria and Arlin are children, which means that they are malleable at this early stage of development. Rin isn't and she doesn't have much in common with us
Actually, Rin has more in common with us (and vice versa) than with anyone else in this world. To us, she is the only person who knows of our world and can relate to the events that transpired there, and so is Erdrick to her. It means a lot.
1. I don't think it balances out. Those wraith guys are really good at screwing us, and if they're on the offensive as would be the case with the village that allows them time to plan and prepare that would be absent if we had Rin hunt them out now. The regular adventurers seem kinda trash, I don't think that there should be overwhelming difficulty in facing them-- remember, that huge adventurer guy thought that the really pathetic Minotaur Firelord would be too much for them to handle without the very best that the kingdom of Methuss had to offered, and the Methussian elite was also pretty easy to overcome. I have complete confidence that we can drown everyone in electric wolves or glorious rays of Gigadyne without involving Rin.
2. We're liable to face the the wraith guys sooner or later, probably either when we send out Rin or have have them circle on the village. As you said, the second guy didn't have anything on him because he didn't think there'd be any trouble; that will not be the case if they close in on us, but they aren't expecting for Rin to ambush them. They're less dangerous when they don't have the drop on us. Rin will also be considerably more careful now that she knows about the danger, so she will actually attempt to dodge hits this time instead of assuming that they won't do anything against her armor. Even if she is turned, it's still pretty likely she'll have suffered some sort of injury (that was how the mind-controlling device was introduced the last time, after all), it's still likely that she won't be happy about it, and we will be much stronger from at least the coming violence not to mention whatever struggles we undergo before she's found to not come back and we need to seek her out.
3. +M
4. Okay, I'll admit this one.

Nevill

Arcane
You're basically telling her that she's more important to you than potentially losing the village.
It's more of a "I trust you, so go out and have some fun".
You know, seeing all the flopping going on, it would be much easier to make a choice if those options were written as such. :M:lol:

Ah, Codex. Always choosing with their heart. Never change. :love:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You know, seeing all the flopping going on, it would be much easier to make a choice if those options were written as such. :M

Ah, Codex. Always choosing with their heart. Never change. :love:

Erdrick can't be honest with himself. :M

if 2A is not a demand but a plea about her importance, that sounds a better way of building up the relationship.

It's a reminder that the oath goes both ways. She promised to protect you and she's planning to do that by leaving the village for a while, but you are also bound to look after her, and you can't do that if she's not by your side.

Nevill

Arcane
Erdrick can't be honest with himself. :M
Why? He's been pretty honest with his desires so far, openly being an asshole when it suits him. He makes excuses, but they are mostly meant for others to accept his actions. I am not sure if he is trying to fool himself.

Why must our every character be a tsundere? :M

Oh, and Rin is shaping to be one as well. Like our interests in EPIC, Legend and Spiral. And probably Multiplayer LP if we allowed it to run any longer. There might be a pattern here somewhere. :?:lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Why? He's been pretty honest with his desires so far, openly being an asshole when it suits him. He makes excuses, but they are mostly meant for others to accept his actions. I am not sure if he is trying to fool himself.

He isn't straight up telling her that she should stick around because boobies, which is what it means to be honest. :M

Elfberserker

Liturgist
You know, this would be probably good time to use that Paladin holy sword of something.
I mean shadowy possible evil wraith like creatures seems to be pretty much asking for paladin weapons.

Or can at laest we give it someone else? With barbarosa unarmed techniques and our magic, it seems pretty useless for us to hoard it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You know, this would be probably good time to use that Paladin holy sword of something.
I mean shadowy possible evil wraith like creatures seems to be pretty much asking for paladin weapons.

It's seemed pretty useless to you so far. Nothing you do makes it spurt holy flame.

Nevill

Arcane
He isn't straight up telling her that she should stick around because boobies, which is what it means to be honest.
He isn't being honest with her. That's acceptable. :M

The regular adventurers seem kinda trash, I don't think that there should be overwhelming difficulty in facing them-- remember, that huge adventurer guy thought that the really pathetic Minotaur Firelord would be too much for them to handle without the very best that the kingdom of Methuss had to offered, and the Methussian elite was also pretty easy to overcome. I have complete confidence that we can drown everyone in electric wolves or glorious rays of Gigadyne without involving Rin.
They may be not very powerful, but there are a lot of them. I am still not sure how to best deal with them and if we can't resolve this in any other way than complete slaughter, buying ourselves more time. We'll have to see.

We're liable to face the the wraith guys sooner or later, probably either when we send out Rin or have have them circle on the village. As you said, the second guy didn't have anything on him because he didn't think there'd be any trouble; that will not be the case if they close in on us, but they aren't expecting for Rin to ambush them.
For now, yes. The situation might change once Rin takes out one, and isn't she heading out of Grahferde because they are trying to track her? Eventually they will catch on.

And I think the cloaked guys are not the scariest thing around. Their boss might be.

Still, I don't think she is in danger of dying. She is sturdy enough to survive any accidents, and strong enough to make the baddies want to obtain her rather than destroy, since they almost managed to do so the last time. So if she suffers defeat, it woundn't be irreversible.

Dunno, really. Anytime I am faced with a situation I can't accurately estimate, my kneejerk reaction is to not split the party. Maybe it's just me. :?

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Besides, if Erdrick can invent something that resembles the so-called "social" network and unleash it upon this unsuspecting world, his "evilness scale" will max out to 100 and stay here for the rest of the game. :M
Collectibles like cards seems more in line with Le Merchant.

Baltika9

Arcane
Collectibles like cards seems more in line with Le Merchant.
I can totally see Erd starting a social networking site and profiting from microtransactions and freemium games. Plus, the intelligence gathering value is undeniable, we'll know everything about everyone soon enough.
We can name it Clitter.

lightbane

Arcane
It's not a demand. You're basically telling her that she's more important to you than potentially losing the village.
Heh. That settles it. Changing my vote to 2A. Let's see how awkward it can get. Besides, we need these long-distance communication devices before allowing her to leave.

Pretty much the only people who love to discuss the direction the story has taken/should take are lightbane, Kipeci, and occasionally Baltika/Elfberserker (Esquilax is a rare guest nowadays).
Well, what I can say? I am an avid reader and I like these well-written worlds that treave describes and discuss its possibilities and such.

Oh, and Rin is shaping to be one as well. Like our interests in EPIC, Legend and Spiral. And probably Multiplayer LP if we allowed it to run any longer. There might be a pattern here somewhere.

Dunno about the rest, but Rin is not as bad as the bitch from EPIC. Unlike that one, she's not constantly telling how much of a piece of shit the protagonist is, how useless he is and genera
lly being a nuisance that does absolutely NOTHING but bringing trouble. For all of her faults
, Rin actually tries to help us and knows her place.

It's seemed pretty useless to you so far. Nothing you do makes it spurt holy flame.

Well, perhaps the Holy Sword doesn't work because Erd's own "holy sword" is currently offline. :M
I say we give it to Arlin to see if he's has a heart pure enough to trigger the enchantment.

EDIT: I like how no-one is thinking about the governor's possible ambush anymore. :lol: In fact, seeing that we've been told to wait inside that windmill, it makes it easier for him to have some sort of nasty surprise waiting for us, just when he arrives and tells us to get outside.

EDIT2: Also, one of the first things Ellen does after recovering her sight is to immediately snoop around other people's personal lives. Talk about priorities.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

1C - This will tie up the little Theseus for a while. It will also let us know if human/goblin crossbreading is viable.
2A - I don't like it. All they need to do is stick her with another shard. She needs a countermeasure for this link as well. There is no telling how much stronger it will get as she draws nearer to them. Rin is strong, but she's already been bested by them once and it very nearly ended with us killing her.

Nevill

Arcane
That's why you don't kill your women off in the early chapters. :M

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Dunno about the rest, but Rin is not as bad as the bitch from EPIC.

I hope you are not talking about Sekhenun.
Of course not. I was talking about Kyrie, who accomplished the incredible feat of being annoying and insufferable both in life AND death (sorta). Quite an achievement in being a crazy bitch tsundere. :lol: Meanwhile, Sekh got shit done most of the time.

In any case, Nevill, what's the current tally please?

Nevill

Arcane
I was talking about Kyrie, who accomplished the incredible feat of being annoying and insufferable both in life AND death (sorta).
Eh, she was alright. Especially for someone who is not a tentacle monster android like the rest of the cast.

Wasn't she the one who gave the clue how to bring Ean/Sekh back from their flowery vacation? I am beginning to forget the details.

Nevill BA
lightbane BA
Kz3r0 BA
Kipeci BB
Elfberserker AB
TOME BA
Jester BB
ScubaV BA
Baltika9 AB
Tigranes BA
archaen BA
Grimgravy DB
Gobblecock *A
Lambchop19 CA
Azira CA
Storyfag BB
Esquilax AB

Only raw votes are counted.

B - 10
A - 3
C - 2
D - 1

A - 10
B - 7
Hm, I am wondering about the identity of the voices. We know of renegade demon lords - Neros, Reminos and Athos, and that Athos is either serving, or took over Byarlant. We know that cloaked dudes are not human, but come from the east. We know Athos is aiding them, but the voice who contacted Rin wasn't his.

Either the 3 Amigos decided to create an underground demon ring, or someone is pulling the strings behind them. This might be connected to their betrayal of Vaalgarf somehow.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom