Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter what is your personal 2015 RPG GOTY(roleplaying game game of the year) ?

pick one

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
No contest:
1: Underrail
2: AoD.

LoL at Twitcher 3 on this list, since when a polish cutscene simulator is an RPG? If Witcher 3 is an RPG, so it is Borderlands, AssCreed, TellTale games and other AAA crap with very light RPG elements. Sorry potatoes, but Polish Steven Seagal didn't convince me.

Reason #1: TW3 gained too much success and popularity, so liking it isn't edgy enough for you. "If they like it, it must be shit." You'll only admit to liking new games that are designed as though they were old classics, and/or niche indie ones... as long as they don't become too popular, that is, because then your self-image as a special snowflake would be threatened. In other words, you're goddamned hipsters who wouldn't know true quality even if the avatar of Hitler Himself flew down from Heaven and presented it to you

MrJohnson

Educated
Well Witcher 3 definitly won the most aestetic game world of 2015. There are some smaller and bigger flaws in the gameplay mechanics and there could have been more RPG elements than the strange skill-tree, good game though.
You should also note that the developers care about their game and their community, as they release tons of free stuff and free dlc.

hell bovine

Arcane
Another good thing about Underrail's quests is that generally they're not spelled for you and you actually have to explore and find out what, where and how.
Compare that to shit like AoD where you're even teleported straight to the quest locations. Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather play the game than the game playing me.

Being teleported from script to script and playing guess the right stat you need to continue all accompanied by writing that rivals my bottle of Head&Shoulders in excellency, that's AoD. But at least you get to choose between multiple options amirite????
lol
These teleportations aren't that often and when they do appear they are for obvious places, e.g. Feng's. You have a Feng sign in a small town with few buildings, why would you want to waste time on walking there? Is it that hard to find that place? Can't you speak and ask for directions? Are you a Bethestard and think it's fun to walk pointlessly killing trashmobs along the way? In UR sections are so small that you need to reach red area very often (some are micro areas which serve only as a crossroad) and reaching a metro or some other location often requires you to go the roundabout way (for example going down the stairs, because you can't just step down and go to the metro directly or there are obstacles so you have to circle around to reach a place that's 3 tiles away from you). The same goes for cities, usually there are 1-3 NPCs in an area that aren't pointless, to reach another relevant one you need to take a lift/elevator or just go to another red rectangle. And all of this in a turtle pace.
Except my character got teleported out of the first city about 15 minutes into the game, because I didn't know that this one quest gets you the boot. I'd rather have Underrail's freedom to explore, because at least I can speed it up with cheatengine, than trying to guess whether I won't accidentally finish the game by talking to someone.

That said, voted SitS, because it is a lovely gem of a game, and there is no review of it still. :|

ArchAngel

Arcane
Another good thing about Underrail's quests is that generally they're not spelled for you and you actually have to explore and find out what, where and how.
Compare that to shit like AoD where you're even teleported straight to the quest locations. Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather play the game than the game playing me.

Being teleported from script to script and playing guess the right stat you need to continue all accompanied by writing that rivals my bottle of Head&Shoulders in excellency, that's AoD. But at least you get to choose between multiple options amirite????
lol
These teleportations aren't that often and when they do appear they are for obvious places, e.g. Feng's. You have a Feng sign in a small town with few buildings, why would you want to waste time on walking there? Is it that hard to find that place? Can't you speak and ask for directions? Are you a Bethestard and think it's fun to walk pointlessly killing trashmobs along the way? In UR sections are so small that you need to reach red area very often (some are micro areas which serve only as a crossroad) and reaching a metro or some other location often requires you to go the roundabout way (for example going down the stairs, because you can't just step down and go to the metro directly or there are obstacles so you have to circle around to reach a place that's 3 tiles away from you). The same goes for cities, usually there are 1-3 NPCs in an area that aren't pointless, to reach another relevant one you need to take a lift/elevator or just go to another red rectangle. And all of this in a turtle pace.
Except my character got teleported out of the first city about 15 minutes into the game, because I didn't know that this one quest gets you the boot. I'd rather have Underrail's freedom to explore, because at least I can speed it up with cheatengine, than trying to guess whether I won't accidentally finish the game by talking to someone.

That said, voted SitS, because it is a lovely gem of a game, and there is no review of it still. :|
:bro:
For the AoD vs Underrail parts :)

All teleporting is bad in AoD, even when you follow the guy into the alley and get jumped by bandits is a bad teleporting event. At least give us a perception check or something to notice the hidden guys.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

lol

:bro:
For the AoD vs Underrail parts :)

All teleporting is bad in AoD, even when you follow the guy into the alley and get jumped by bandits is a bad teleporting event. At least give us a perception check or something to notice the hidden guys.

Pathetic fools.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
As for quests which in your opinion are much better in Underrail because they're not as obvious - not really. They are as straightforward as they can be, kill that guy, fetch me that item (and there are quite a few filler quests, e.g. Detritus quest, one of the worst quests in UR). There are only a few not so obvious ones, although even these usually come down to going from one NPC to the next.

But the one thing that all quests have in common is the lack of options. Most of them have only one solution, some have 2 and I can't remember a quest that offered more.

True, it's usually FedEx or killing someone with one or two alternatives; but every one of those again has different ways of doing so. A stealth crossbow player gets a completely different game when accomplishing a task and requires a completely different way of planning when compared to playing a psi user (3 different kinds and more squishy), or a melee build, which again is has different ways of playing whether using a dagger or a hammer or fists; etc.
(Also, 'as straightforward as can be' except that half the people here don't even seem to be able to follow directions and can't either remember simple landmarks and basic orientation or draw a map.)

Pillars of Eternity. It did something to me.
Did something to me too.

I cried tears of disappointment.

i like twitcher3 and underrail
voted tw3 for metahipster points
Wrong order, 4 sure!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
To go into serious mode for a change, AoD by far and with no contest to speak of.

The funny thing is that up until very recently I'd thought I'd refrain from voting in any GOTY because AoD would basically be the "default" winner due to lack of competition, and I hate picking the only available option. Plus, while it was coolio overall, I don't think I would have even put it in top 3 last year. Maybe perhaps 3rd place, but it's a big maybe.

However, when I sat down again a few days ago and considered just how disappointing-to-bad was this year in general, I realised I was very grateful for the appearance of AoD in 2015 as it was the only really solid rpg to come out and brighten up the overwhelming mediocrity. I would be a very negative hamster if it was not released.

Polanski

Scholar
I've considered the reasons for why the superior game, The Witcher 3, is doing so poorly here. The reasons range from irrational, to pathetic, to shitty, to insignificant and repulsive.
Where is the "shit omnipresent combat, which the entire game is build around"-reason?

EDIT: to be reasonable (which I understand is not something you are supposed to be on the codex) I understand why some (most?) people like it. I really want to get in to the games, but the combat system just turns me off completely.

Last edited:

Blackmill

Scholar
The more I play Underrail the less highly I think of it. There's a huge amount of wasted time. A perfect example is the Kill the Beast quest in the Foundry. Without meta-knowledge, you're looking an upwards of thirty, if not more, cell transitions. Twenty with meta-knowledge. And this is all made worse by the fact that most cells are empty, without any combat opportunities, and some take a good twenty or thirty seconds to pass through. In the end, you will probably spend 10-15 minutes watching loading screens and your character walk through empty cells, and maybe 8-10 minutes actually playing the game (if you kill shit slowly). This is one of the worst cases since the quest involves very little combat, but clearing out a Burrower nest for the fourth time isn't much different from wasting your time traversing the map, if anything it's worse. Underrail could have been so much better with fewer cells and enemies.

Lhynn

Arcane
The more I play Underrail the less highly I think of it. There's a huge amount of wasted time. A perfect example is the Kill the Beast quest in the Foundry. Without meta-knowledge, you're looking an upwards of thirty, if not more, cell transitions. Twenty with meta-knowledge. And this is all made worse by the fact that most cells are empty, without any combat opportunities, and some take a good twenty or thirty seconds to pass through. In the end, you will probably spend 10-15 minutes watching loading screens and your character walk through empty cells, and maybe 8-10 minutes actually playing the game (if you kill shit slowly). This is one of the worst cases since the quest involves very little combat, but clearing out a Burrower nest for the fourth time isn't much different from wasting your time traversing the map, if anything it's worse. Underrail could have been so much better with fewer cells and enemies.
The beast quest is complete shit, and its mandatory for most crafting builds. I fucking hate it.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I've considered the reasons for why the superior game, The Witcher 3, is doing so poorly here. The reasons range from irrational, to pathetic, to shitty, to insignificant and repulsive.

:butthurt:

I don't even consider the Witcher games to be RPGs. You might think they are really great games, and I wouldn't disagree. But fundamentally The Witcher is an action-adventure franchise with some RPG elements(TM) sprinkled in.

Jed

Cipher
Cranky Old Man List:

Just finished SR:HK. It was fun, but I think Dragonfall is the better game.

I put 12 hours into PoE, but I honestly thought it was not that interesting. Not trying to be a hipster--I've played through BG2 ~3 times, and PoE is a pale, pale shadow. I really don't get the love for this game.

I just bought Underrail, and the buzz here has me excited to pick it up soon.

I have SitSL, but haven't really started it. Still have AoD & W3 on my want list.

Somewhat OT, Tales from the Borderlands is the funniest game I've played this year. And I'm probably missing a lot of jokes since I never touched the OG BL games.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some clouds to yell at.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Age of Decadence all the way. Best rpg of the last few years for me. Finally something fresh and "with balls". AoD has some flaws but...combat, branching storyline, c&c, setting, atmosphere- all this is just great and "right up my alley". Underrail is close second, awesome game but it's more like a "regular" rpg of exploration and combat with a somewhat familiar(but well presented) setting. Both games have something that makes it seem like they were made more 15-20 years ago (in a good way, not "retro fetish"). PoE while enjoyable, seems "soulless" in comparison imo.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
To be honest the most fun I had with RPG this year was Wasteland 2 DC, Dead State Reanimated and my goty would be The Quest... So I am doing pretty good with remakes

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Age of Decadence. It's cool, it's polished, it's gritty and it has unparallelled C&C.

Underrail came close and has amazing mechanics and really hooked me in at first, but it's just not as interesting as AoD. The Deep Caverns even left a sour taste in my mouth. There's so much waiting and backtracking that I did my taxes while playing it. Watching that ugly sprite walk everywhere at a snail's pace and seeing fourty loading screens for a single quest gets old fast.

PoE is a vacuous piece of shit. Haven't played anything else on the list except Undertale, but that was only interesting to me as a musician, as a game it had no appeal to me whatsoever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom