Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

hell bovine

Arcane
Yea, I didn't think about Lightning Punches (8 dex)... that's a lot of potential damage with maxed PK skill. Gotta see if I have enough feats to pick it up at one point.

Thanks for the input, btw, I got some good ~feels~ about this build!
Actually, I think the point of that build was raising dexterity all the way, because at 16 unarmed will cost 5 AP per hit. You could craft yourself stunning gloves (I am pretty sure I saw a pair of those in my game), though that would increase the AP cost, however slightly - then again, that would be offset by lightning punches. From the psychokinesis line you can add force emission and proxy, which practically doubles your damage output. Or you could craft yourself gloves that cause bleeding, and use it with vile weaponry and taste for blood.
And if you add thought control for locus of control, well...

Zetor

Arcane
Yea, I didn't think about Lightning Punches (8 dex)... that's a lot of potential damage with maxed PK skill. Gotta see if I have enough feats to pick it up at one point.

Actually, I think the point of that build was raising dexterity all the way, because at 16 unarmed will cost 5 AP per hit. You could craft yourself stunning gloves (I am pretty sure I saw a pair of those in my game), though that would increase the AP cost, however slightly - then again, that would be offset by lightning punches. From the psychokinesis line you can add force emission and proxy, which practically doubles your damage output. Or you could craft yourself gloves that cause bleeding, and use it with vile weaponry and taste for blood.
Yeah, just checked it in the build tool and it'd require heavy dex pumping for optimum performance... and if there's anything I learned it's that you always want to pump only one stat at a time! Still, it's a cool build idea for a 'monk' playthrough.

hell bovine

Arcane

Yeah, just checked it in the build tool and it'd require heavy dex pumping for optimum performance... and if there's anything I learned it's that you always want to pump only one stat at a time! Still, it's a cool build idea for a 'monk' playthrough.
If you take only psychokinetics, you don't need that much will, though, since you'd use just force emission and proxy. Raising dexterity instead shouldn't be much of a problem. You could sacrifice both strength and perception, that gives enough points to play around.

Tigranes

Arcane
Without snipe might as well not play stealthy bowman...loses the whole flavor.

Half of those are not must picks, though they are all good picks. Interloper, Knee Cap, Vile Weaponry, Concussive Shots, Ambush, are definitely not necessary for an efficient xbower.
Stealth is unplayable without interloper, it's bad enough you can't pick in level 1. Those ones are optional as I listed them so anyway. But then if you don't get them you're gonna be forced to get some trapping or crafting at level 4.

Still vile weaponry is strongly flarvoful with bear traps and shit, along with poison. Hell I forgot Hypertoxicity.

No, interloper is not a must. I pick it with any character that sneaks just so I can explore faster, but it's easy to get stealth up high enough that you can sneak past people without it.

All the feats you listed are fine, pretending they are a necessity is about as logical as "i like them they are a MUST". Hell, you don't even have Quick Tinkering, which I consider a must - but you can certainly blow through enemies without it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
No, interloper is not a must. I pick it with any character that sneaks just so I can explore faster, but it's easy to get stealth up high enough that you can sneak past people without it.
It IS a must. Stealth walk speed ruins the game, if there wasn't interloper and items I wouldn't even consider that playstyle.

All the feats you listed are fine, pretending they are a necessity is about as logical as "i like them they are a MUST". Hell, you don't even have Quick Tinkering, which I consider a must - but you can certainly blow through enemies without it.
Not of all of them are necessary, but most are if you want to make a flavorful trapper/hunter kind of guy.

Zetor

Arcane
Yeah, there were some sections where I wouldn't have made it across in time without Interloper (mainly walking through dense enemy-filled areas in the Gauntlet, Deep Caverns, and stealthing through the Protectorate base), the timing was just that strict... and this was as a full stealth character in a dedicated stealth suit. But mainly it's required because stealth is freaking slow without it.

Quick Tinkering, though, man, that feat is just MVP material. It trivializes most arena fights, and makes sure that you're never going to be hit by anyone in melee ever, essentially -- as long as you combine it with decent positioning.

Tigranes

Arcane
So "must" = I won't play without them, OK.

Quick Tinkering I actually think should be nerfed - add a significant AP cost, or increase the cooldowns.

Sykar

Arcane
What do you guys think of this pure PSI build?

Stats: 3/3/3/9/3/10/7 leaving 1 point free at start atm;
Skills: All 3 PSI, Electronics, Biology, Hacking, Persuasion, Intimidate. Maybe limit Biology to a minimum and get Tailoring later for making my own medium armors if that is feasable.
Feats: Survival Instincts, Stoicism, Conditioning, Fast Metabolism, Premeditation, Psychosis, Psionic Mania, Neural Overclocking, Psychostatic Elextricity, Neurology, not decided on the rest yet, considering adding Packrat, Pyromania, Locus of Control, Doctor, Thick Skull, Cryogenic Induction, or other PSI feats.

Riot Armor+CO should be able to manage most situations. Maybe have to take Packrat feat later (and no, I will not cheat)

Idea is to circumvent as many situations as possible with "diplomacy" and keeping encounters short due to massive crit chance especially at low health. Building my own PSI bands, shields and meds should keep my expenses low.

Aimed Shot is basically Snipe, is all I'm saying. Most of the time you'll use it as an opener and then gtfo to hide behind your trap fortress, so by the time your victims are lined up (and aren't sitting in bear traps for free criticals), it should be up again.

I would not say this. Snipe scales with Weapon damage+Stealth while Aimed Shot scales with WD+Crit Damage. Both are very good albeit Aimed Shot is more easy to use and can be more universally used. As a stealthy PSI Sniper I like both equally so far. I am already breaking 150+ Stealth without Stealth Generator and I bet I can get to over 250%. That's 375% increased damage which should be able to come out about equal with Sniper Crits. Multiply it with Smart Googles for some extra 'oomph' for your alpha strikes from stealth.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
What do you guys think of this pure PSI build?

Stats: 3/3/3/9/3/10/7 leaving 1 point free at start atm;
Skills: All 3 PSI, Electronics, Biology, Hacking, Persuasion, Intimidate. Maybe limit Biology to a minimum and get Tailoring later for making my own medium armors if that is feasable.
Feats: Survival Instincts, Stoicism, Conditioning, Fast Metabolism, Premeditation, Psychosis, Psionic Mania, Neural Overclocking, Psychostatic Elextricity, Neurology, not decided on the rest yet, considering adding Packrat, Pyromania, Locus of Control, Doctor, Thick Skull, Cryogenic Induction, or other PSI feats.

Riot Armor+CO should be able to manage most situations. Maybe have to take Packrat feat later (and no, I will not cheat)

Idea is to circumvent as many situations as possible with "diplomacy" and keeping encounters short due to massive crit chance especially at low health. Building my own PSI bands, shields and meds should keep my expenses low.
If you go the psionic mania route, then it definitely pays off to get feats that increase the damage of your spells, e.g. force user. And for a pure psi there is no good reason to not to take locus of control. It is the best psi feat, hands down. Pyromaniac can be fun, thermodynamicity is also nice to have.

Tailoring is worth considering, just to be able to craft psi beetle carapaces, and with 7 intelligence you could take some crafting feats besides neurology. Doctor is another useful feat to have, since you are planning to raise biology.

Sykar

Arcane
If you go the psionic mania route, then it definitely pays off to get feats that increase the damage of your spells, e.g. force user. And for a pure psi there is no good reason to not to take locus of control. It is the best psi feat, hands down. Pyromaniac can be fun, thermodynamicity is also nice to have.

Tailoring is worth considering, just to be able to craft psi beetle carapaces, and with 7 intelligence you could take some crafting feats besides neurology. Doctor is another useful feat to have, since you are planning to raise biology.

Thanks for the tips.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
How much worth is expertise? People seem to imply it's hot shit with burst fire weapons, which makes sense as it raises regular damage by a considerable amount, but do they really not crit that much?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
How much worth is expertise? People seem to imply it's hot shit with burst fire weapons, which makes sense as it raises regular damage by a considerable amount, but do they really not crit that much?

It is a good feat if you are a fast attacker, either bursting with rifles or with a thousand fists. Wonderful against armored targets later on.

hell bovine

Arcane

Thanks for the tips.
Keep in mind that I don't play pure psi, but my personal observation is that, depending on which route you go - tranquility for better spell spamming, or psionic mania for reliable criticals - you will benefit from choosing feats (and equipment) that compliments them. For psionic mania that would be force user (a critical telekinetic punch used together with proxy hits hard), psychostatic electricity (electrokinesis can be used every turn, and it really adds up if enemies are close together) and neural overclocking. Premeditation and thermodynamicity are useful for every psi user. You can craft yourself equipment that will further increase both critical chance and critical damage on top of that.

The weakness of such a character is that you will loose the initiative rolls most of the time, especially if entering a new area straight into battle. Therefore, you'll need to be able to survive that first turn. Custom armor and shields really make a difference here; thanks to a long-lasting shield my mage survived the first turn with Carnifex, even with him winning the initiative (and after that he was icicle). That is why for crafting I'd recommend dividing your points between electronics, biology, mechanics and a bit of tailoring (doable, because apart from electronics, you don't need that much to craft psi equipment), instead of focusing on just two. You could even consider going 10 constitution for thick skull, because you'll have to wait some time for locus of control.

The alternative would be to drop constitution in favor of agility and go for a stealthy mage with dodge and evasion, wearing just leather armor, but I've never tried something like that. I'd probably combine it with traps in this case, though; e.g. a simple bear trap could create a useful choke point to keep melee guys away. (hm, the more I think of it, the more I like the concept...)

hello men. Is a light armoured psi stealthy unarmed and/or guns dude a good idea or is that spreading too thin or just shit? The character creation screen gave me anxiety in a good way so I'm stuck on it now.

Zetor

Arcane
hello men. Is a light armoured psi stealthy unarmed and/or guns dude a good idea or is that spreading too thin or just shit? The character creation screen gave me anxiety in a good way so I'm stuck on it now.
Light armor psi stealthy unarmed should work as long as you are maxing psychokinesis, but stay away from guns. You want to pump one stat, and for a psi user that stat wants to be WIL. If you're going guns, you also need to pump PER and either DEX or STR (to a point), which leads to sad times in the endgame.

BTW, if you're going as a mainly psi character (as opposed to a melee character using psychokinesis to hit things), pick up at least 2 disciplines (psychokinesis and thought control are probably the best choice), and preferably all 3. Sticking to 1 discipline will limit your options a lot against certain tough enemies / encounters.

edit: though I'll add that a hybrid build like psi/guns works fairly well all the way up to the endgame -- my first character was exactly that, and managed to do pretty much everything up to that point. It's just the last 10 or so hours that may or may not make you hate yourself.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Making hybrids work is the greatest fun for me. Never liked overspecialized characters much, kinda boring. Then again Figher/Mage/Thief was damn OP in BG 2 so they are not always bad.

Zetor

Arcane
Making hybrids work is the greatest fun for me. Never liked overspecialized characters much, kinda boring. Then again Figher/Mage/Thief was damn OP in BG 2 so they are not always bad.
I actually agree with you for most of the game (I liked my gunslinger-psion), it's just that in the Deep Caverns builds like that kinda break down.

Then again, that may be an indictment on the Deep Caverns more than an indictment on hybrids.

How do change the height of walls to be able to see what's against them? I think this was discussed at somepoint but I don't remember if it was finally implemented.

I made the suggestion with gifs to demonstrate it but Styg didn't find it necessary.

Styg, my offer still stands. If you ever reconsider the feature, I'll happily rework the graphics.

This won't be done for several reasons, one of which being that only a few maps were designed with disappearing walls in mind.

I wondered if this could be modded in. If an injector could be written to swap textures in use with transparent alternatives or maybe even alter memory parameters to achieve the same result -even if the result would be applied indistinctly- but I tossed into the .xnb format wall. It seems like the .xnb format is too much of a hassle to simply open a file. Any pointers on that front then?

And while at it, I suppose you don't have any plans for sorting buttons either, no? Had to ask.

epeli

Arcane
I wondered if this could be modded in. If an injector could be written to swap textures in use with transparent alternatives or maybe even alter memory parameters to achieve the same result -even if the result would be applied indistinctly- but I tossed into the .xnb format wall. It seems like the .xnb format is too much of a hassle to simply open a file. Any pointers on that front then?

Well, technically... setting the transparencies that is possible that way, yes, but it would be an insane amount of work to mod it like that. And like Styg said, only some maps were designed with disappearing walls in mind. Some of the new wall tilesets and other graphics by Mac_Orion aren't composited in the same simple way as Styg's original sprites. It just wouldn't look good.

The .xnb files can be opened and saved with any XNA tools, official Microsoft stuff or third-party utilities. Other files use Stygian Software's own formats.

Coyote

Arcane
Yes. I had an amazing start as a stealth/knives build where I found not only a set of Tabi boots in one of the outposts on the first quest, but also the blueprints for them at one of the SGS merchants before heading off to Junkyard.

Gord

Arcane
I found it very early as well, either with SGS merchants, or in one of the areas around SGS, during the early quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom