Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hoard everything.

Kayerts

Arcane
Back in Ultima VII, my hoarding was so bad that I dragged a few barrels over to the flying carpet and flew around with them, using them as a sort of makeshift stash before those were even a thing.

I have to confess: i was ill but playing roguelikes cured me of this habit :lol:

The problem is that games are easy as shit and don't require you to use consumables in order to succeed.

These two posts are related, in my experience. Playing the same game on a self-imposed ironman condition cures my hoarding, because it replaces it with a more constructive form of OCD: the type that makes me look for any possible advantage. "Holy balls, this relatively common potion gives +1 to saving throws? I'm gonna start drinking like I was going through a messy divorce."

laclongquan

Arcane
Sample of my problem:

3ib93jN.jpg

The thing is - I *know* for example that there are some advanced potion combinations but I don't want to spoil the game (so I don't know what they are) - therefore I hoard reagents, ingredients and bottles - this alone takes up a big part of my backpack. At this point every visit to a dungeon or shop (making sure the person with the highest merchant skill does the sale) is an exercise in frustration :(
That doesnt excuse the horseshoes you hoarded, as there is no reason at all to not use them. There can never be enough horseshoes/skill points.

The raw reagents I get because two single spot is easier and better managed than one double sized potion.
But nothing say you have to keep them in your inventory. At worst, you can get one or two hirelings, stuff them full of raw materials you certainly wont need to use in battle, then fire them. Get them back by the Inn whenever needed.

profreshinal

Arcane
Sample of my problem:

3ib93jN.jpg

The thing is - I *know* for example that there are some advanced potion combinations but I don't want to spoil the game (so I don't know what they are) - therefore I hoard reagents, ingredients and bottles - this alone takes up a big part of my backpack. At this point every visit to a dungeon or shop (making sure the person with the highest merchant skill does the sale) is an exercise in frustration :(

Why don't you sort everything decently? At least put all the identical items next to eachother, preferably arranged in perfect squares or rectangles if a square isn't possible. Then you can start arranging the squares by item type, blue potions next to the purple ones etc.

Your autism increased by 1!
You can thank me later when a single item drop forces you to completely rearrange everything because otherwise the inventory would lose it's aesthetically pleasing look.

Thonius

Arcane
Have no problem with leaving things behind because I don't role-play hoarders and murderhobos. And I kinda got rules about consumables. In underail for example it a rule for me to have no more that 10 pcs of one type of grenade. If a gave more I just trough them at rathounds.

skyst

Augur
The problem is that games are easy as shit and don't require you to use consumables in order to succeed.

If the game was actually hard you would use your potions like the little bitch you are.

Underrail was like this for me initially, I was actually using grenades, bandages and stims for a while. But now I'm back at the same point as most games where I am basically invulnerable to enemy attacks and have more consumables than I know what to do with. And the game's vendor purchase limits even prohibits me from selling my excess! So I just have this bloated locker at SGS stuffed with consumables I don't need and can't sell!

Personally I think some people have trouble with numbers and this is why they don't like stats or inventory management. One way of figuring this out is sipmly to have a bunch of marbles on the floor and quess how many there're. Those with natural number smarts will guess more accurately. Those who don't guess accurately will struggle more and not enjoy it as much. The exact same part of the brain is used when you're estimating the room in your invenotry, especially volumetric.

I think another aspect to it is attention. It's not tied to OCD, but instead to ADHD or something similar. Those with ADHD don't have attentiont deficity, they have attention disregulation, meaning their attention can be very focused, but on the wrong things! For example, those with ADHD are found to have high levels of focus in gaming, but comparatively low levels of focus in other aspects of life, like school or relationships or normal everyday tasks. They desire (comparatively unchanging) constant stream of high rates of data, like a shooter game or even sports in real llife. Swinging a sword in real life is somewhat the same. I recall reading a theory that ADHD is still in the genetic pool because it gave an advantage to military people or those who needed extreme focus to detect subtle signs of predators. The probelm is this (cognitively low level) extreme amount of focus is not required in a higher level cognitive world where patience and knowledge skills and relationship building and frequent attention changes are necessary.

And you know how some are said to be more left brained or more right brained? Left brained are more logical or numerical or linear. Right brained are more creative and emotional. Maybe this is true and maybe gamers who're ok with resource or inventory management are more left brained? Right brained gamers feel restricted by it.

I found some limited support for this:
http://www.brainbalancecenters.com/blog/2014/07/characteristics-left-brained-child/
The left hemisphere of the brain controls learning and information processing. Children who are left brain dominant tend to be more analytical in their thinking and typically perform well academically. They have a stronger ability to memorize large amounts of data, have a large vocabulary and are detail oriented.
If a child is left brain dominant it usually means areas of the right brain are weak. Those with a weak right brain may be socially immature and have little interest in sports or outdoor activities. This imbalance can lead to behavioral problems and/or social difficulty. However, there is hope!
EDIT: I have to admit I'm usually never bothered by resource management. I might even like it. I don't like extreme amounts of it though. MOO2, for example, had too much micromanagement in late game.

I like building in strategy games. I tend to like building in most games. Sandbox-like. My greatest fun in Tribes wasn't shooting other players, but making the base. That was true in another FPS I played too.

Personally I feel there's an inbetween. It's not all or nothing. Management isn't evil.

Last edited:

Jed

Cipher
So am I the only one who leaves a huge trail of trash behind his character, only looting valuable items?

When you stop vacuuming every piece of junk, you suddenly realize you saved enough time for another playthrough.
No, you're not alone. I always keep my inventory down to an absolute minimum. I prefer to liquidate everything. With cash on hand, you can usually buy anything you actually need.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
So am I the only one who leaves a huge trail of trash behind his character, only looting valuable items?

When you stop vacuuming every piece of junk, you suddenly realize you saved enough time for another playthrough.
No, you're not alone. I always keep my inventory down to an absolute minimum. I prefer to liquidate everything. With cash on hand, you can usually buy anything you actually need.

76.jpg

#LMAO this game

Castozor

Scholar
The game is probably good, it's just the legless toons that crack me up everytime. Also, with my new tags I feel comfortable in posting like a retard, gotta fit in the role, so to speak. :cries:
I've been wondering about that, did you lose a bet or something? Since you seem to have lost your brofist as well. Also on an unrelated note, you guys still doing the AoE2 matches or not?

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
The game is probably good, it's just the legless toons that crack me up everytime. Also, with my new tags I feel comfortable in posting like a retard, gotta fit in the role, so to speak. :cries:
I've been wondering about that, did you lose a bet or something? Since you seem to have lost your brofist as well. Also on an unrelated note, you guys still doing the AoE2 matches or not?

There were bets involved, a silly thing that took over codex at one time. Brofists were another thing against me, more personal. I'm still up for AoE2 matches, but the thread has been stale as of late. Let's play some, why not?

Castozor

Scholar
There were bets involved, a silly thing that took over codex at one time. Brofists were another thing against me, more personal. I'm still up for AoE2 matches, but the thread has been stale as of late. Let's play some, why not?
Right now I'm drunk and tired, but tomorrow shouldn't be a problem.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Play the games in ironman mode, and when you feel your party is going to be wiped, use everything you have stocked that can help you gain an advantage.

Go the Deus Ex route. Instead of having temporary buffs gained via potions (or similar minimal weight items), make them involve gear that has significant weight/inventory-slots, so that you need to trade off the utility of an extra weapon (or omit heavy weapons, each of which gives excellent situational use without much 'general' use) if you want to have space for consumables. It's the only game I've played where I don't hoard, but instead use consumables largely as intended.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah I agree with Deus Ex. If you have no free space in the inventory - you're playing it wrong.
Bonus points for having free space when you carry GEP gun with you.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Lol they stripped you of your fists too eh?

naossano

Cipher
You should try to play Wasteland 1.

Every single member of your team has the same number of slot in inventory, the stuff you throw disapear, the team mates you fire disapear, and i don't recall any stash. At the other hand, every item that you DON'T loot, will stay forever where it was. So the games actively encourage you to loot the least amount of items as possible, and only return where the loot was in case you have shortage, which rarelly happens.

tindrli

Arcane
I wrote a lengthy post but to spare you the pain of reading it I'll just sum up my problem:

1. Hoard EVERYTHING.
2. Ignore crafting, potions etc... Who needs this, right? Play perfectly so I don't need to use all this boosters for filthy casuals. Don't use this Potion of Short Invulnerability because I MIGHT REALLY NEED IT LATER!11!!1
3. When backpack full, quickly lose motivation to play and rage due to losing so much time on inventory management - eventually dropping the game altogether.

I play every game like this. I finished PoE with my bags filled to the brim with all sorts of crap. Same in BG/BG2, same in M&M and many others...

It really detriments from my gaming experiences. Is it my problem, or the problem is with these games?

How do you deal with that, help?

in other words you are playing on Easy....

I wrote a lengthy post but to spare you the pain of reading it I'll just sum up my problem:

1. Hoard EVERYTHING.
2. Ignore crafting, potions etc... Who needs this, right? Play perfectly so I don't need to use all this boosters for filthy casuals. Don't use this Potion of Short Invulnerability because I MIGHT REALLY NEED IT LATER!11!!1
3. When backpack full, quickly lose motivation to play and rage due to losing so much time on inventory management - eventually dropping the game altogether.

I play every game like this. I finished PoE with my bags filled to the brim with all sorts of crap. Same in BG/BG2, same in M&M and many others...

It really detriments from my gaming experiences. Is it my problem, or the problem is with these games?

How do you deal with that, help?

How about playing on the hardest difficulty the game allows, therefore you are forced to use/sell every single fucking thing you find?

Now that is a bitch because your (my) gaming skills are not up to par with what only the developers/testers/addicts can accomplish.

Castozor

Scholar
How about playing on the hardest difficulty the game allows, therefore you are forced to use/sell every single fucking thing you find?

Now that is a bitch because your (my) gaming skills are not up to par with what only the developers/testers/addicts can accomplish.
Depends on the game really. Bethesda games are so easy that you probably don't even need to use most potions you find and like I said I'm playing trough M&M X now and while the start was a bit rough the only thing that prevented me from cheesing everything was my own selfmade rule to not just rest after every 1/2 fight(s). In theory you are right but not every developer actually manages to make their game hard enough so you end up with countless consumables anyway. See also Torchlight 1/Fable/Kingdoms of Amalur, not exactly crpg's but games so easy you won't need to use even half of that the game offers you leaving me and my fellow hoarder kin with stuffed inventories. Although Torchlight gave me that dog to make shop runs for me at least.

Depends on the game really. Bethesda games are so easy that you probably don't even need to use most potions you find and like I said I'm playing trough M&M X now and while the start was a bit rough the only thing that prevented me from cheesing everything was my own selfmade rule to not just rest after every 1/2 fight(s). In theory you are right but not every developer actually manages to make their game hard enough so you end up with countless consumables anyway. See also Torchlight 1/Fable/Kingdoms of Amalur, not exactly crpg's but games so easy you won't need to use even half of that the game offers you leaving me and my fellow hoarder kin with stuffed inventories. Although Torchlight gave me that dog to make shop runs for me at least.

Actually, Skyrim on Legendary was fucking impossible, but the game sucked on every difficulty.

I'm playing Wasteland 2 Director's Cut on "Supreme Jerk" difficulty, which is even harder than impossible. Shit.

The only games I can actually beat on hardest difficulty are either survival horror or adventure games, haha.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom