Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter what is your personal 2015 RPG GOTY(roleplaying game game of the year) ?

pick one

• Total voters

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Voted the witcher 3... For sure is not a pure Crpg... but for me was the best Arpg of 2015... I also have to buy Underrail and Age of Decadence..

Osvir

Learned
1) Pillars of Eternity
This is the only one I finished out of the rest, and had been waiting for for quite some time. Vote could change depending on how I feel about the rest. To be honest, I'd like to put Pillars and Underrail on #1 Games of the Year (in my own experience). And as I progress in Serpent and AoD they might all end up at #1 Games of the Year. We shall see, too bad there's only one vote choice :(

2) Underrail
Current work in progress.

3) Serpent in the Staglands
Loving the aesthetics, but I've barely even gotten out of the first town. Work in progress I suppose.

4) Age of Decadence
Tried it out, seems great, but again, I've barely gotten anywhere. Work in progress as well.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Only played AoD and PoE from that list.

AoD is great, but too short, looks more like a technical demo than a full game. I completed it a couple of times and played halfway about 4-5 times to explore different possibilities.

Zetor

Arcane
Invisible Inc, Telepath Tactics, Underrail.

Can't really put them in order, they're all very Good At What They Are. I'm p. sure many codexers wouldn't consider Invisible Inc an rpg either, but whatev'.

Osvir

Learned

Can't really put them in order, they're all very Good At What They Are. I'm p. sure many codexers wouldn't consider Invisible Inc an rpg either, but whatev'.

It's a rogue-lite. Not much about progressing with a character but rather having certain skills at your disposal, limited amount of resources for a shorter run. Invisible Inc is more akin to Skyshine's BEDLAM or FTL. Neither of them are RPG's. Great games though (BEDLAM is questionable however).

Telepath Tactics is a Turn-Based Strategy game, like Fire Emblem. Again, not an RPG.

Zetor

Arcane

It's a rogue-lite. Not much about progressing with a character but rather having certain skills at your disposal, limited amount of resources for a shorter run. Invisible Inc is more akin to Skyshine's BEDLAM or FTL. Neither of them are RPG's. Great games though (BEDLAM is questionable however).

Telepath Tactics is a Turn-Based Strategy game, like Fire Emblem. Again, not an RPG.
Like I said, I can sorta accept it for InvInc. But for TT and Fire Emblem... you are familiar with the SRPG and Tactical RPG subgenres, yes? Should we move all Blackguards / Battle Brothers / Banner Saga / etc threads to Strategy Gaming?

Also, what is an rpg lol

Osvir

Learned
Good points!

Is Fire Emblem in jRPG with Disgaea or in Strategy? TT is a Western adoptation of a jRPG, is it not? (Heavily inspired, aesthetically). I'd call TT a Strategy game with RPG elements, same with Disgaea and Fire Emblem.

Barely played Blackguards, tried it out, elaborate skill system, "world exploration". Felt like a Turn-Based RPG akin to Fallout 1 & 2, Wasteland 1 & 2 (former is more of a blobber), Divinity etc. but it has that "Mission" system that's pretty much the same as FE, TT and Disgaea, so in the end, I'd call it a Strategy game with RPG elements.

Personally I think Battle Brothers is a bit too far away to call anything at this point, I've put it in "Strategy" (for some reason? I need to clean my Steam Library). I'd call it a mix and mash of TES: Arena and Daggerfall tbh, with XCOM Turn-Based combat and some unit control. I suppose, yet again, I'd call it a Strategy game with RPG elements.

Banner Saga I would have difficulty placing anywhere, I've just placed it in "Turn-Based" in my Steam Library. It has FTL, Invisible Inc elements (Go from A -> B mentality, with limited resources and pickups on the way) with choices and consequences, character building, a rather linear world exploration.... yup, probably Strategy game with RPG elements.

Would you call Xenonauts/XCOM an SRPG?

Zetor

Arcane
I consider TT a typical example of a tRPG because the main focus of the gameplay is having a small number of unique persistent and customizable units (whose stats and abilities change/improve as they fight, and are intertwined with the story instead of having just generic faceless archers and swordsmen in your army) defeating hand-placed encounters on story maps with typical jrpg-like cutscenes / interactions / shops inbetween these battlemaps (TT actually has a section where the protagonist can free-roam inside a bandit fort, talk to people, etc). As for whether a tRPG is a 'real' RPG or not: consider the origin of RPGs in the first place (wargames) and how they played.

Thing is, you can come up with a lot of (arbitrary / personal) criteria about what makes something an RPG vs a wargame / small-scale strategy game. F'rex I consider JA2 and Xenonauts rpg-strategy hybrids due to the presence and importance of a strategic layer and said layer having a major effect on the tactical gameplay maps as well, but if I had to choose, I'd say JA2 is more of an RPG due to having a lot more of the genre trappings -- whether laptop guy has stats or not. I don't consider the original Laser Squad a RPG, because your units were fixed and had no real progression/persistence between scenarios. Etc etc.

Honestly, though, this kind of spergerypedantry is probably better suited for the thread I linked...

Osvir

Learned
I was just fishing out for stuff to say and keep a convo going cus I think we agree 99% Zetor :P

Fargus

Arcane
Had to be honest: Witcher 3. Potato people made a good game with lots of content. And i love when there is some nice story in rpg.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Every time I check this poll it's either AoD or Underrail. The fact that we have to choose between two great games that are undeniably cRPGs instead of "which popamole crap is less popamole crap? DISCUSS!" already proves that 2015 was a great year for us.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
"Great" is too much. Better than nothing is more accurate. New games to talk about.
Which rpgs do you consider "great"? Give serious answer, not some edgy crap. I'm just curious.
Ah the edgy meme ;^).

I don't consider any CRPG "great". If you want to know the ones that I liked and thought did things well but somehow never became common sense in RPG design I can tell you.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Yeah, games that you like, your top rpgs whatever you call it. I want to know the taste of an egdelord who thinks AoD and Underrail are "better than nothing" ;)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's pretty keen how, when you can only vote for one, Pillars trounces Staglands.

Severian Silk

I only played PoE and a little bit of Underrail. That's not enough to justify a vote.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom