Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I couldn't agree more. It has not only great main theme and new textures plus changed monsters, but simply the levels are well designed.

lgVp9YK.jpg

Here are some Baarrrrons attacking me little pirate doom matey.

tormund

Arcane
Pirate Doom guy was developing another promising looking conversion, but so far he released only a beta with few unfinished maps and it doesn't look like he has been working on it recently.

EZuhHVh.jpg

XKoDq4s.png

O6axE9B.jpg

tormund

Arcane
Did anyone here play ProDoomer? I'm playing it right now and it's really testing my patience. I can respect the amount of work that went into stuff like RPG system or sheer amount of content, but maps sometimes feel like they were made by Oblige (if Oblige was able to do 3D and slopes) and then touched up. And even when they look nice, they can play like shit... I'm now playing rooftops map that is full of precise platforming and snipers fucks (they do lots of damage, they are really precise, and their shots can push player from platforms). And I'm not sure if I'm fan of pronounced recoil of some weapons, or things like screen going red when health is low, or screen shaking when I'm hit. And the sheer amount of abilities is overwhelming, I doubt that most players will ever use most of them. But, there is so much to do and discover, which is probably why I keep playing.

jh0axQL.jpg

7UKPKlE.jpg

zywAMMH.jpg

1nsSLAW.jpg

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Did anyone here play ProDoomer?
I tried it . Seems like it had some potential , but things went wrong . The maps look detailed and some of the music is nice ( Daggerfall soundtrack on the first map ) , but these are the only things I liked . The monsters placement is really bad , enemies feel spongy and RPG system doesn't work well. The numbers are all over the place , sometimes you can eat a rocket with little consequences , sometimes imp's fireball will drain almost all of your health , this applies to player's attacks as well . There are HP bloat bosses capable of oneshoting you , some fish men that shoot a cone of insanely fast projectiles with high damage ... Of course it's not that bad when you play it , but it's still not fun . Devs also tried to make some kind of story line , but there are just needless , boring dialogues , they exist only to waste your time . In the end , the worst of all things is binding the game to numbers ( RPG system ) it's just doesn't feel right , it doesn't suit doom and it kills the feeling of action .
Well it's a big ass WAD ( almost 400MB , holy shit ! ) , not a good one though . ( the comment above provides a good description of it )

So , for those who would want to try it out , I advice to not bother , better download Jenesis WAD and give it go . It was suggested somewhere in this topic and it's absolutely amazing .

tormund

Arcane
All of those complaints are fair, they could be my own complaints. So far this has been one huge, unbalanced,unpolished kitchen sink of a conversion, and what fully original content there is greatly varies in quality...
I don't see myself recommending it to anybody, but I still keep playing it. It's just that I'm hungry for something big and very different.

BTW Jenesis is a really great megawad, one of my personal favorites. I think I recommended it in this thread at least once.:D

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, I'm testing some wads, playing through pirate doom, etc, but i want to replay the classic episodes/levels of doom 1 and 2. Should I play vanilla or should I improve (or decline?) with a gameplay mod, like beautiful doom, brutal doom, or any other?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I’ve been going through Perdition’s Gate lately. Contrary to what I have been lead to believe, it’s a very nice WAD. I found the first few levels decent but without much surprise, but once I got past them the level design quality increased dramatically. There are some very nice levels to be found there along with a few memorable moments, and once you get past the initial techbase levels there are some very cool alien worlds and architectures to behold. The music is also pretty good. Good stuff!

tormund

Arcane
Well, I'm testing some wads, playing through pirate doom, etc, but i want to replay the classic episodes/levels of doom 1 and 2. Should I play vanilla or should I improve (or decline?) with a gameplay mod, like beautiful doom, brutal doom, or any other?
Beautiful Doom is a good choice, since it freshens bunch of stuff like animations, sounds, gore without altering the gameplay. Only element that alters the gameplay are the secondary fire modes for some weapons, but you can eliminate even that by not using alt fire. Another neat thing is that it is separated in several wads, so if you for example dont like changes to enemies or decorations you can simply not load Beautiful Doom's monsters or objects wads...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron

Just use Crispy Doom.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
It’s a source port based on Chocolate Doom. Chocolate Doom has a strong focus on preserving vanilla compatibility and thus is pretty much a Windows version of the DOS executable, though it also includes the functionalities of some popular tools right out of the box. Crispy Doom is a fork that keeps the vanilla compatibility but adds a few features, mainly higher resolution, uncapped framerate, limit removal, as well as niceties like coloured blood for cacodemons, hell knights, and barons. If you’re a purist but want a few more extras, that’s the source port to go for.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

One particularly useful thing about Chocolate Doom, and by extension Crispy Doom, is their -merge function. It means that one can use them to play certain older TCs like Batman Doom or Hyena with next to no effort, while those same TCs would be utterly broken on any other currently active source port.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good news everyone,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4pwb7f4p841u26i/AAAGw7DUlbbCp2vzu-1tn3pka?dl=0

Beautiful Doom has reached 6.0.9.9 version. Mod is now packed in single .pk3 file. You can browse the archive with 7zip or winrar and delete hd sprites that aren't really consistent with the rest of the game. In addition, there is a new mode with enhanced guns. You can now have dual pistols, melee atack with shotgun, super shotgun can shoot from one barrel, machine gun can work reaally fast but takes a lot of ammo. Plus the rocket launcher with the homing missiles feature, plasma rifle attack similar to railgun in Quake 2/3. BFG can attack with lesser strenght a bigger area with multi shots.

The alternative HUD gives more information without the doom guy face and you can change the number of information that is visible on screen.

There was a bug in earlier revision, when you grabbed a yellow keycard and you had in inventory a blue one. It opened blue doors, but it was confusing at bigger maps.

Most important thing that this feature it's optional and you can stay with older weapons behaviour, and the balance hasn't been tossed out of the windows and you can play easily in single player without any "kill walls".

Overall:

:incline:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Soon, all "Doom clones" will be integrated into Doom. Doom is The Borg of FPS's.

Or The Highlander of FPS's. There can be only one, after all.

Divinity: Original Sin
Good news everyone,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4pwb7f4p841u26i/AAAGw7DUlbbCp2vzu-1tn3pka?dl=0

Beautiful Doom has reached 6.0.9.9 version. Mod is now packed in single .pk3 file. You can browse the archive with 7zip or winrar and delete hd sprites that aren't really consistent with the rest of the game. In addition, there is a new mode with enhanced guns. You can now have dual pistols, melee atack with shotgun, super shotgun can shoot from one barrel, machine gun can work reaally fast but takes a lot of ammo. Plus the rocket launcher with the homing missiles feature, plasma rifle attack similar to railgun in Quake 2/3. BFG can attack with lesser strenght a bigger area with multi shots.

The alternative HUD gives more information without the doom guy face and you can change the number of information that is visible on screen.

There was a bug in earlier revision, when you grabbed a yellow keycard and you had in inventory a blue one. It opened blue doors, but it was confusing at bigger maps.

Most important thing that this feature it's optional and you can stay with older weapons behaviour, and the balance hasn't been tossed out of the windows and you can play easily in single player without any "kill walls".

Overall:

:incline:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu...

I'm using an old version (5.3) of beatiful doom, and my saves are not compatible with this new version.

Well, guess i'll stay with 5.3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom