Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity or Eternity?

Which is better?

• Total voters

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
So far it sits like this for me - in regard to recent RPGs anyway:

Path-err Pillars of Ex- Eterenity - mechanics good, story good
Shadowrun Dragonfall - mechanics good, story good
Divinity Original Sin - mechanics great, story lacking
Darkest Dungeon - mechanics good, story lacking
Age of Decadence - mechanics okay, story good
Underrail - mechanics okay, story okay
Lords of Xulima - mechanics good, story lacking
Shadowrun Returns - mechanics okay, story lacking
Deadstate - mechanics really lacking, story lacking
Wasteland 2 - mechanics lacking, story okay

And by mechanics, I pretty much mean battle/exploration/itemization/challenge/freedom. By story, I mostly mean consequences/choices/party members/world aesthetics/theme/characterization.

Get out. Now. :decline:

D:OS was actively terrible in every way. Therefore I pick option C.

Do you use edges as currency?

I'm not being edgy. Every aspect of this game's design and mechanics is utter shit. All of them.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
So far it sits like this for me - in regard to recent RPGs anyway:

Path-err Pillars of Ex- Eterenity - mechanics good, story good
Shadowrun Dragonfall - mechanics good, story good
Divinity Original Sin - mechanics great, story lacking
Darkest Dungeon - mechanics good, story lacking
Age of Decadence - mechanics okay, story good
Underrail - mechanics okay, story okay
Lords of Xulima - mechanics good, story lacking
Shadowrun Returns - mechanics okay, story lacking
Deadstate - mechanics really lacking, story lacking
Wasteland 2 - mechanics lacking, story okay

And by mechanics, I pretty much mean battle/exploration/itemization/challenge/freedom. By story, I mostly mean consequences/choices/party members/world aesthetics/theme/characterization.

Get out. Now. :decline:

D:OS was actively terrible in every way. Therefore I pick option C.

Do you use edges as currency?

I'm not being edgy. Every aspect of this game's design and mechanics is utter shit. All of them.

reading this i actually cut my face from all the edges you wrote man u are so edgy u should name yourself EDGE

Celerity

So is this thread just some groupthink bullshit for Divinity? If so, why? It's like having your 12 year old brother run a D&D campaign module for you made by someone with no idea how any mechanics work, and then Divinity is a CRPG based on your individual campaign bullshit. Why the fuck do people call this good? If someone made Final Fantasy 13 complete with long narrow hallways, NPCs that go on and on and on about nothing, and then put buggy hit boxes absolutely everywhere (click on NPC, grab glass 10 feet away in the opposite direction, everyone goes apeshit, or click on your own character, fucking dodges your mouse with idle animation and starts walking way the fuck over there when you clicked somewhere near his feet) no one would stand for that. No one. But apparently if a famous indie releases a buggy linear piece of shit it's ok?

I mean sure it's possible after they remade the fucking game with an Enhanced Edition it actually is what it advertises itself as but it fucked the first impressions so badly I can't see myself giving it another chance.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
PoE fails by default thanks to the loading screens. A 2D game in this day and age having loading screens before and after each room or map is laughabale. Not just any loading screens, long loading screens. Just terrible. Doesnt matter if its the best game ever otherwise.

So is this thread just some groupthink bullshit for Divinity?
No, people just universally like the game, I doubt you'd find a different reaction in any other thread.
But yes, it's surely some hivemind conspiracy that people defend a game they like and call you an idiot for your shitty critique.

Celerity

No, people just universally like the game, I doubt you'd find a different reaction in any other thread.
But yes, it's surely some hivemind conspiracy that people defend a game they like and call you an idiot for your shitty critique.

Which raises the question of why? It's linear, buggy as fuck, and painfully one dimensional. It's nothing like what it is described as at ALL. And yet people here are calling it great. Is it fucking Bad Rats? Is this some Bad Rats meta trolling where you collectively call this really poorly done game amazing? Or is it just because a few people from this forum guest star in the game? I think that's exactly what it is, but if the game has actual merit then prove it.

roll-a-die

Magister

Which raises the question of why? It's linear, buggy as fuck, and painfully one dimensional. It's nothing like what it is described as at ALL. And yet people here are calling it great. Is it fucking Bad Rats? Is this some Bad Rats meta trolling where you collectively call this really poorly done game amazing? Or is it just because a few people from this forum guest star in the game? I think that's exactly what it is, but if the game has actual merit then prove it.
Eh, the main issues with Divinity are that it's not user friendly, it's story is painfully dull but humorous in it's cliches and bad voice acting.

The combat design however was excellent, as were the mechanics behind character generation. And the EE only took that and polished it to a mirror shine. Where it fails is in the emergent nature of the combat, namely how easy it is to abuse the fields systems to create insta stunning slippery death fields of no escape and just murderballs everything with archers and mages.

But that's basically complaining because of powergaming.

Mustawd

reading this i actually cut my face from all the edges you wrote man u are so edgy u should name yourself EDGE

Celeredge. I like it. Hey Celeredge, have you ever heard of this game called Darkest Dungeon? I hear it's really good and the devs are super open to feedback. You should look it up.

Celerity

Eh, the main issues with Divinity are that it's not user friendly, it's story is painfully dull but humorous in it's cliches and bad voice acting.

The combat design however was excellent, as were the mechanics behind character generation. And the EE only took that and polished it to a mirror shine. Where it fails is in the emergent nature of the combat, namely how easy it is to abuse the fields systems to create insta stunning slippery death fields of no escape and just murderballs everything with archers and mages.

Aside from the overly wordy, pretentious NPCs that say nothing that wasn't the problems I had with it at all. The combat is just spam elemental gimmicks and you win. Sometimes enemies bug out and get literally 30 turns in a row at which point they instant kill a character (and themselves if you set them on fire with the aforementioned elemental gimmicks first). The actual attack abilities are quite lacking. Literally every character, including yours are colossal shitlords. Most design decisions seem made by a 12 year old DM. I have a had time even recalling details because the entire game was just a sea of noise. I couldn't even tell you what world the game is set in. Most of the unique features are actually hidden liabilities you just turn off. While someone has helpfully trolled by bringing Derpest Dungeon in this, I think shit like NPC personalities can be fairly compared with corpses, except that unlike corpses they do actually do something. The game's already a hyper linear single solution puzzle that actively punishes you hard for anything other than the One True Way. How can we make this better? Making your NPC companion mind control you if you go against what "they" want. And the best part? That "feature" is in because the game has a "multiplayer" mode, where it's actually fair and reasonable that both people would have a fucking say in decisions. Except the multiplayer is poorly implemented and buggy as fuck. Let's make a decision when the other guy can't even see the fucking dialogue! BRILLIANT! And seriously, could we have some working hit boxes? If I click on something it shouldn't register as a click 10 feet away in the opposite direction.

Just the fact the game needed a remake with "Enhanced Edition" is telling (you usually see that from the worst of informed trait triple A games), but somehow I doubt all that has really been improved/fixed since I last checked the game (when it was new).

roll-a-die

Magister

Aside from the overly wordy, pretentious NPCs that say nothing that wasn't the problems I had with it at all. The combat is just spam elemental gimmicks and you win. Sometimes enemies bug out and get literally 30 turns in a row at which point they instant kill a character (and themselves if you set them on fire with the aforementioned elemental gimmicks first). The actual attack abilities are quite lacking. Literally every character, including yours are colossal shitlords. Most design decisions seem made by a 12 year old DM. I have a had time even recalling details because the entire game was just a sea of noise. I couldn't even tell you what world the game is set in. Most of the unique features are actually hidden liabilities you just turn off. While someone has helpfully trolled by bringing Derpest Dungeon in this, I think shit like NPC personalities can be fairly compared with corpses, except that unlike corpses they do actually do something. The game's already a hyper linear single solution puzzle that actively punishes you hard for anything other than the One True Way. How can we make this better? Making your NPC companion mind control you if you go against what "they" want. And the best part? That "feature" is in because the game has a "multiplayer" mode, where it's actually fair and reasonable that both people would have a fucking say in decisions. Except the multiplayer is poorly implemented and buggy as fuck. Let's make a decision when the other guy can't even see the fucking dialogue! BRILLIANT! And seriously, could we have some working hit boxes? If I click on something it shouldn't register as a click 10 feet away in the opposite direction.

Just the fact the game needed a remake with "Enhanced Edition" is telling (you usually see that from the worst of informed trait triple A games), but somehow I doubt all that has really been improved/fixed since I last checked the game (when it was new).
EE improved a lot. Let's take a look at your criticisms for a short bit though.

Co-op is working, has pretty much always worked, and EE improved it by having a better interface for the dialogues which was a problem before.

A lot of your problems seem to stem from playing it in Single player.

Hitboxes are fine when you realize that the projectiles are what's being used not a ray, so the spirally ones(Have no idea how to word that) have a tendency of clipping weirdly. Along with them using the actual meshes to highlight this leads to a lot of frustration, because you can have problems where the model moves and your hand is suddenly on something 10feet in front of or behind the bastards.

Rivellon is actually pretty fleshed out, and is a humorous take on standard DnD tropes. It's also meant to be tongue and cheek. So someone as humorless as most people on the codex will likely find it droll and forgettable.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "Hyper linear Single Solution Puzzle" the game has lots of exploration and non-linearity to the gameplay.

Add in that you basically said what I said about the combat, just wordier and angrier about it, and I declare you, sir, are salty.

Celerity

It hasn't "pretty much always worked" because when I looked at it early it didn't. Perhaps it was fixed after that, I already seen enough and moved on. If you're saying multi was fixed, and is now a requirement that means I'm not interested anyways though. When I talk about hitboxes I mean clicking in melee. Your characters dodge your own clicks with idle animations and move around randomly instead of adjusting slightly for a backstab (which itself is finicky as fuck). You click on an NPC near you so you can speak with them, they move, the game decides you should grab a glass 10 feet away in the opposite direction. They then go apeshit you "stole" the glass and turn hostile immediately. Note: Their back is turned, so even ignoring the fact I had no intention of stealing shit for them and don't care about their fucking glass how did they see me again?

I love comedy games. There are some games I am only interested in for the humor. It's not funny. It just says a lot of words I don't care about, from characters who are complete assholes so I also don't care about them.

The game actively punishes exploration, defined as any deviation from the preset, linear path. Say you should do area A first, then B. You do B first. In most games this is completely a viable thing. Doing it here means either you fail, or you succeed and get loot you can't use yet because it's higher level, and plot spoilers because the game assumes you went in area A first so let's go ahead and ruin everything that happens there. I figured out what the One True Way was. It was really fucking boring and there was absolutely no redeeming value in the game so I just uninstalled.

I'm not salty about it, as I mentioned before games like this are the reason my piracy demo screen exists, because it caught it and prevented me from actually losing anything except a few hours of time. I am however very confused people here are suddenly calling the game good, especially given how much they mock everything else.

roll-a-die

Magister
It hasn't "pretty much always worked" because when I looked at it early it didn't. Perhaps it was fixed after that, I already seen enough and moved on. If you're saying multi was fixed, and is now a requirement that means I'm not interested anyways though. When I talk about hitboxes I mean clicking in melee. Your characters dodge your own clicks with idle animations and move around randomly instead of adjusting slightly for a backstab (which itself is finicky as fuck). You click on an NPC near you so you can speak with them, they move, the game decides you should grab a glass 10 feet away in the opposite direction. They then go apeshit you "stole" the glass and turn hostile immediately. Note: Their back is turned, so even ignoring the fact I had no intention of stealing shit for them and don't care about their fucking glass how did they see me again?

I love comedy games. There are some games I am only interested in for the humor. It's not funny. It just says a lot of words I don't care about, from characters who are complete assholes so I also don't care about them.

The game actively punishes exploration, defined as any deviation from the preset, linear path. Say you should do area A first, then B. You do B first. In most games this is completely a viable thing. Doing it here means either you fail, or you succeed and get loot you can't use yet because it's higher level, and plot spoilers because the game assumes you went in area A first so let's go ahead and ruin everything that happens there. I figured out what the One True Way was. It was really fucking boring and there was absolutely no redeeming value in the game so I just uninstalled.

I'm not salty about it, as I mentioned before games like this are the reason my piracy demo screen exists, because it caught it and prevented me from actually losing anything except a few hours of time. I am however very confused people here are suddenly calling the game good, especially given how much they mock everything else.
Occams Razer mate, you're pretty close to wrong. And you played a pirated version, so really why the fuck are you criticizing a game you have no investment in?

Celerity

Because the whole reason the piracy demo screen exists is so I don't waste money on false advertisement and get salty. I was gonna commend you on being reasonable at least in explaining what I missed here. Perhaps it even did become a proper game later. But the consensus I've seen is that the beginning is the best part, and the beginning was so bad I snooze quit it so...

Which raises the question of why?
T4h2eFe.png

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Can we have the possibly removed from this stunned cunt's tag? Thank you and have a nice day.

Celerity

Aw, he's still salty. Isn't that cute? No idea what's broke off in his ass and why though!

Celerity

Oh, seems I struck a nerve. Whenever the groupthink gets out of hand I need only remember the flaws of D:OS. Now that I think about it, the parallels with Derpest are pretty striking. It even has the mass video advertisement. So I'll just keep this instant nerdrage button filed away for later.

Mortmal

Arcane
Oh, seems I struck a nerve. Whenever the groupthink gets out of hand I need only remember the flaws of D:OS. Now that I think about it, the parallels with Derpest are pretty striking. It even has the mass video advertisement. So I'll just keep this instant nerdrage button filed away for later.
No no no, let Divos alone.. Pillar of eternity on the other hand , mass advertismenet, youtubers getting the game before the loyal backers... Dull balancing etc, yes its derpest dungeon bigger brother. Direct your anger towards them!

Celerity

Like I said at the beginning. Pillars didn't evoke any emotion, even anger or disappointment. It was just bland drek, completely forgettable. Divinity I was actively disappointed with on every level. I don't hate it or Swen but I will troll the shit out of any blind groupthinking fuckwit. There's plenty of legit :incline: so I don't much care if one false promise exists.

Jed

Cipher
Had to choose Divinity. Even though I don't think it was a particularly memorable RPG, it did have decent TB combat & I did finish it. Two things I cannot say for PoE.

noelparisian

Barely Literate
Toss up, really. I'd say it boils down to whether you're a story/writing hog or a systems/gameplay nut. I'm the former, and I find D:OS's writing thoroughly amateur. PoE's systems aren't perfect, but they're good enough for me, and I like the plot, characters and writing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom