Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity or Eternity?

Which is better?

• Total voters

Jed

Cipher
Toss up, really. I'd say it boils down to whether you're a story/writing hog or a systems/gameplay nut. I'm the former, and I find D:OS's writing thoroughly amateur. PoE's systems aren't perfect, but they're good enough for me, and I like the plot, characters and writing.
With the caveat that I am sincerely not trolling here: When does an interesting character enter the game? I played about 12 or 15 hours, and I can't remember a single character other than that weird bard-thing that joins you, and even then only because I found it's portrait so annoying. I got all the way to securing the stronghold--are there *interesting* party members or other NPCs after that?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
with DOS EE i actually have some fun when playing with a buddy. POE was just so fucking boring.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
There can be only one Roguey, this one is just a poor imitation.

Except for the part where I don't support Pillars and never had. It's just meh, bland, forgettable. Not actively terrible.

And except for the part where actual old school hardcore RPGs are something I enjoy.

Oh wait, that's like the anti Roguey. But do keep deferring intellect with mindless derpy support!

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
They are both poor games but certainly Pillars has more of an element of quality to it. Is there a word to describe writing as being both well-crafted and boring at the same time?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anti-Roguey is correct, I think D:OS is one of the best examples in a lacking genre.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
There can be only one Roguey, this one is just a poor imitation.

Except for the part where I don't support Pillars and never had. It's just meh, bland, forgettable. Not actively terrible.

And except for the part where actual old school hardcore RPGs are something I enjoy.

Oh wait, that's like the anti Roguey. But do keep deferring intellect with mindless derpy support!

Actually no, Roguey is capable of making reasoned arguments worth considering when not in lazy troll mode.

While you can both be irritating, you alone have a special ability that Roguey lacks; you are an unwittingly characature of the personality you purport to be.

This makes you possibly retarded, but indubitably a DumbFuck.

Celerity

I'm capable of reasoned arguments. I just don't waste them on mindless groupthink or randoms who got a stick in their ass about me. Lazy troll mode is perfectly fine here. But do keep raging I don't go along with the party line without question!

Celerity

10451595-standard.jpg

Salt_Heat_Transfer_Fluids_in_CSP-Heat_Transfer-01.jpg.aspx

too_much_salt_360.jpg

Is that better?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
PoE was boring and unfinished, with so few character build options it's practical impossibility to make different character of same class. Whatever the story was, was ruined by the fact there was so much unecessary fluff that didn't even contribute to setting

DO:S was unfinished but not boring and it's COOP focus makes sure it remains playable far longer than PoE ever will. Sure the story was shite but the gameplay was great.

Celerity

Ok so trolling off for a moment. When I tried the game the coop was this buggy half done thing. I'll take people at their word it was fixed and became a proper game mode at some point. Alright, so assuming I believe all of that, what exactly is the point of a coop focused CRPG? CRPGs have always been about the solo experience, if I was interested in waiting around for other people I'd do D&D or an MMO or something like that instead. Why go through all the trouble of making NPC companions have their own personalities if the obvious correct choice is disabling that "feature" so you don't get mind controlled by the game because you didn't approach the game the way the game wanted? Because that whole dual decision thing makes perfect sense when it's 2 actual people calling the shots.

vmar

Savant
Id have to vote PoE since I came close to finishing it, I refunded d:os

Shin

Cipher
what exactly is the point of a coop focused CRPG? CRPGs have always been about the solo experience, if I was interested in waiting around for other people I'd do D&D or an MMO or something like that instead. Why go through all the trouble of making NPC companions have their own personalities if the obvious correct choice is disabling that "feature" so you don't get mind controlled by the game because you didn't approach the game the way the game wanted?

Well, some of us may have friends (gasp) or family that also enjoys these games, so we can enjoy them together, without being verbally assaulted by "russiangangster1999" in a MMO. And D:OS' combat is vastly superior to that in any MMO, surely even you must agree.
And the "trouble of making NPC's have personalities" is obviously a feature for people who have nobody to play with and believe that the only 'real' way to play a RPG is by yourself. Personally, there's tons of games that are greatly enhanced by playing it with a friend, including but not limited to D:OS.

Celerity

The combat was just spamming elemental gimmcks. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than static rotations, but it's certainly not good. And yes I did expect a single player experience from a non MMO RPG.

roll-a-die

Magister
The combat was just spamming elemental gimmcks. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than static rotations, but it's certainly not good. And yes I did expect a single player experience from a non MMO RPG.
You do realize there are a lot of criticisms about Divinity Original Sin's combat, that don't rely on a complaint, that amounts to, "Having an interesting feature not present in other games which is slightly over powered."

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
D:OS' combat is vastly superior to that in any MMO, surely even you must agree.
I'm not saying that D:OS combat is bad but "vastly superior to that in any MMO" is just not true, sorry. WoW combat was actually p. great until they wrecked the whole thing with vehicles and overbalancing in WotLK. (I could also mention WAR but IMO it's not correct to compare co-op with PvP.)

Nahel

Arcane
Divinity was extremely fun despite its garbage story until the second chapter and the loot system is better (and when a fucking random generator is better that shows how bad the loot is in POE). POE is fun until you get out of the first cave and goes only below from there. I was always hoping it would get better, it never did. And trust me, POE will make you hate its combat.

noelparisian

Barely Literate
Toss up, really. I'd say it boils down to whether you're a story/writing hog or a systems/gameplay nut. I'm the former, and I find D:OS's writing thoroughly amateur. PoE's systems aren't perfect, but they're good enough for me, and I like the plot, characters and writing.
With the caveat that I am sincerely not trolling here: When does an interesting character enter the game? I played about 12 or 15 hours, and I can't remember a single character other than that weird bard-thing that joins you, and even then only because I found it's portrait so annoying. I got all the way to securing the stronghold--are there *interesting* party members or other NPCs after that?

Characters are subjective, I think, and I think you'd be well-within your rights to dislike the lot of them. FWIW, I liked Durance, Grieving Mother and Sagani. Kana got on my nerves, Aloth was alright but not terribly original, and Eder was just a nice guy, no more and no less. I don't remember much about the druid fellow.

All the ones I liked are a bit of a ways in, and if you're not careful, it is possible to miss Durance completely. Grieving Mother is in a little village that becomes accessible after you get to the first big city, Defiance Bay.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lore,characters,story,atmosphere all are better in PoE.
But D:OS has better gameplay, Crafting, intractability and combat so it's better for me

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Actually for multi-player, FFXI had fantastic combat. Varied abilities, elemental affinities, skill chains and exp chains. That shit is crack.

Celerity

You do realize there are a lot of criticisms about Divinity Original Sin's combat, that don't rely on a complaint, that amounts to, "Having an interesting feature not present in other games which is slightly over powered."

It's not really interesting when you consider that the practical application of that cool concept is just spamming the oil spell on a burning enemy or whatever, because that does more damage than any of your actual attacks. And that's ignoring the bugs like enemies glitching out and getting literally dozens of actions in a row. If you don't set them on fire they kill you, if you do they still kill you but then die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom